Roseville-Blake game notes

ChrisK

Roseville-Blake game notes

Post by ChrisK » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:35 pm

First game of the year for me, Blake played Roseville at the State Fair Coliseum last night. Since the game was listed as a home game for Roseville we showed up at the Roseville Arena only to find a youth hockey tourney in full swing. Thanks to the woman at the gate who steered us over to the Coliseum.<br><br>Despite a small crowd in the cavernous Coliseum, the game was pretty good with two skilled teams going back and forth. As would be expected for the first game of the year, play was a bit sloppy in the first period especially for both teams in their own end. Despite some good chances noone was able to score. I thought the Raiders had the better chances in the first period but couldn't put it away.<br><br>Blake scored the first goal of the game late in the 2nd when Bryant Johnson made a good move around Roseville's Brad Wieck and somehow set up Jack Barnes for the goal. Wieck tied the game up very early in the 3rd with a great move for an unassisted goal. A few minutes later one of Roseville's players made a huge mistake and checked a Blake player from behind into the boards which led to a 5 minute major and ejection. This in turn led to one of the key points of the game as Roseville was able to kill off a five minute Blake power play. With about five minutes left Mark Thorson of Roseville made a breathtaking move around a Blake defenseman and rifled a shot beating Blake's goalie stickside for the game winner.<br><br>Roseville looked slightly better and deserved the win but Blake had some good players, I thought nos.9 and 10 played well and their sophomore goalie looked solid. Neither team was very physical so there was a lot of skating and passing but both teams gave up some good chances and I can only chalk it up to early season rust that there weren't more goals scored.<br><br>Roseville was missing their best player, Mike Dorr. He's listed on the roster and I thought he might have been the player in sweats with his arm in a sling next to the Roseville bench. Assuming he'll be back, he should provide a spark to the Raiders offense. They are a very young team with only five seniors. <p></p><i></i>

CrabsMcChaffee

Roseville-blake game notes

Post by CrabsMcChaffee » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:58 pm

This is very inciteful and very interesting. <p></p><i></i>

puckhead89

Re: Roseville-Blake game notes

Post by puckhead89 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:52 pm

Great info. Isn't the Blake sophomore goalie, Kent Patterson? If so, don't hold your breath for alot of goals to go in on this young, but skilled netminder. If he was the one in net, you can bet it wasn't just early season rust that kept the goals from being scored by Roseville. <p></p><i></i>

NumberCruncher

Re: Roseville-Blake game notes

Post by NumberCruncher » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:55 pm

ChrisK, I also mistakenly went to the Oval only to find a Bantam B tournament. I arrived at the Coliseum and forgot that Mike Dorr was injured. At about this time I thought Blake was going to smoke them and thought that those Bantam B games didn't seem that bad of an idea. But Thank God I stayed. I was on the edge of my seat from the 2nd period on. I wasn't able to fathom that Roseville had a chance. Roseville played some good defense and should be given a medal or something for fending off that 5-minute Power Play for Blake. I don't think I breathed until that PK was over. As far as goalies go, Kent Patterson is still darn good. The Roseville goalie, Kevin Beck I believe, scared the crap outta me. No offense to him, any of his friends, or his family reading this, but I honestly didn't think he moved more than a foot the entire warmups. When I thought he was in his resting position, he was actually in his ready position. But he did come through in the clutch, he shut down a top 5 class A team. But I'll admit I was scared even when they iced the puck down to him. But what a great game to watch, there's no denying that ..... unless I guess you're a Blake fan. <p></p><i></i>

ONMHockey

bear raider game

Post by ONMHockey » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:44 pm

Funny stuff, great comments. I am surprised Blake with Murray, Louwerse and company lost to Roseville. Must have been a great game to watch. What happened to Michael Dorr? How long will he be out? I'll wait and watch Roseville after he's back.<br><br>I am pretty sure Blake's coach is related to Roseville's coach. They have the same last name. I have to see Roseville goalie Beck after your comments. It's always fun to watch a quirky player pulling it off. <p></p><i></i>

rbk4me227

Re: bear raider game

Post by rbk4me227 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:57 pm

IM NOT GONNA LIE IM THE THIRD PERSON TO GO TO THE OVAL FOR THE GAME. THE LADY ASKED ME IF I WANTED A DAY OR WEEKEND PASS, AND I WAS LIKE ILL JUST TAKE THE DAY PASS. I WALKED IN AND REALIZED IT WAS A BANTAM B2 TOURNEY, SO I CHECKED TO SEE IF THE GAME WAS ON AFTER. BUT I FOUND MY WAY TO THE COLESIUM AND SAW A GREAT GAME, BETTER THAN I EXPECTED!<br> <p></p><i></i>

ChrisK

Re: bear raider game

Post by ChrisK » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:26 am

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who went to the Oval first. I asked the ticket taker at the Coliseum if it had been a last minute re-schedule. He looked at me like I was an idiot and grouchily replied that it had been on the Coliseum schedule when they put it up.<br><br>Numbercruncher, I thought the same thing about the Roseville goalie, though I didn't get to see him warm up. He's definitely not one of those Gumby-type goalies but he did get the job done. The Blake goalie (I think Kent Patterson is right but I don't have the roster on me) was solid, neither of Roseville's goals were soft. Roseville's defense made me nervous too they weren't always picking up guys in the slot and had some problems breaking out. All in all, a good game to start the season with. <p></p><i></i>