Coaching Changes

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

girlshockey4ever

Coaching Changes

Post by girlshockey4ever »

Well it's that time of year again! Post em when you hear em!
jg2112

Re: Coaching Changes

Post by jg2112 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:36 am Well it's that time of year again! Post em when you hear em!
Prediction - Holy Family will be open soon.
girlshockey4ever

Interesting. I know I haven't been a fan of Randy and his theatrics on the bench. Do you think it's because his team has been in the section final for the last three years and he can't get past Tonka? I saw his daughter graduates that might be a cause to move on.
Well Driller

Post by Well Driller »

Wayzata is open. Rumor at Xcel was that folks are already recruiting another Lake Conference coach.

Holy Family will be open. Watch your daughter play or coach. Should be a simple decision.

Very likely to be some large school openings this year.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:07 am Interesting. I know I haven't been a fan of Randy and his theatrics on the bench. Do you think it's because his team has been in the section final for the last three years and he can't get past Tonka? I saw his daughter graduates that might be a cause to move on.
For evidence in favor of my theory, please see Podein at BSM and Burgen at Chisago.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

jg2112 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:03 am
girlshockey4ever wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:36 am Well it's that time of year again! Post em when you hear em!
Prediction - Holy Family will be open soon.
Coach had a good run! Section final is nothing to scoff at. That said with his daughter graduating, likely time to move on.
girlshockey4ever

Good points with BSM and CLHS. What other big schools? South Suburban might see some changes at AVHS and Eagan. South, North, Farmington, Eastview, Shakopee and Prior Lake won't see any changes. Some of the longest coaches around been at those school (not prior lake but she did a great job building that program in a few short years.)
The more I think about it those coaches in the SSC most have been around for at least 15 years or more. Some more than 20!
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:41 am Good points with BSM and CLHS. What other big schools? South Suburban might see some changes at AVHS and Eagan. South, North, Farmington, Eastview, Shakopee and Prior Lake won't see any changes. Some of the longest coaches around been at those school (not prior lake but she did a great job building that program in a few short years.)
The more I think about it those coaches in the SSC most have been around for at least 15 years or more. Some more than 20!
I have no insider knowledge, but one that would not surprise me is Warroad - 10 graduating seniors and back-to-back titles seems like a good time to pass the program to a family member.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

jg2112 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:07 pm
girlshockey4ever wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:41 am Good points with BSM and CLHS. What other big schools? South Suburban might see some changes at AVHS and Eagan. South, North, Farmington, Eastview, Shakopee and Prior Lake won't see any changes. Some of the longest coaches around been at those school (not prior lake but she did a great job building that program in a few short years.)
I have no insider knowledge, but one that would not surprise me is Warroad - 10 graduating seniors and back-to-back titles seems like a good time to pass the program to a family member.
I don't see that happening this year.
No inside info either but I can call him and ask.
girlshockey4ever

Wayzata? Didn't he get canned mid year? Who was his replacement? Must have been interim? And what other Lake Conference coach are they wooing away? Get the rumor mill fired up!

Cassano (Tonka)
Cowger (Edina)
Huddy (Buffalo)
Olesen (NWC)
Persian (EP)
St. Martin (If you count hopkins as Lake Conference)
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

I don't know, Warroad can reload pretty quickly. For evidence of my theory see Bartz, Kirkeby and Stephens.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:35 am Wayzata? Didn't he get canned mid year? Who was his replacement? Must have been interim? And what other Lake Conference coach are they wooing away? Get the rumor mill fired up!

Cassano (Tonka)
Cowger (Edina)
Huddy (Buffalo)
Olesen (NWC)
Persian (EP)
If Persian leaves EP already, that'd be a damn shame... He is a great human being and the difference in both the locker room and the girls just getting back to having fun has been really noticeable since he came in. I'm actually hoping that if/when HF opens up, that might get that group of girls in EP considering HF to stay, but that's just me being optimistic...
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:35 am Wayzata? Didn't he get canned mid year? Who was his replacement? Must have been interim? And what other Lake Conference coach are they wooing away? Get the rumor mill fired up!

Cassano (Tonka)
Cowger (Edina)
Huddy (Buffalo)
Olesen (NWC)
Persian (EP)
Just guessing, but I'd think Persian would be the target. Olesen maybe second.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Puckguy19 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:49 pm

Cassano (Tonka)
Cowger (Edina)
Huddy (Buffalo)
Olesen (NWC)
Persian (EP)
Just guessing, but I'd think Persian would be the target. Olesen maybe second.
Maybe someone has better knowledge, but I don't recall too many times recently where a head coach bails on their current school to immediately take the same position at another. Usually there's a resignation and a year or two away from the high school scene, or a firing first.

What's the guess on the average salary at these schools and how much above and beyond is HF willing to go?
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Hearing rumblings on changes at both Woodbury and White Bear Lake.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:29 pm
I don't see that happening this year.
No inside info either but I can call him and ask.
I think you should make that call. The locals appear unsettled about something.
girlshockey4ever

Yes the Warroad faithful are not pleased. I read a posts by two players outlining in detail a situation that occurred. People are not happy at all. I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. The Marvins run the program up there and have for years. I can't see an AD having the stones and risking their 110k a year job over something like this. But I will certainly grab my popcorn and watch!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

message sent Hope to hear back this morning
PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad »

bodyup88 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:59 pm Hearing rumblings on changes at both Woodbury and White Bear Lake.
I think the Woodbury gig is already open. Heard over the weekend that the Metro-South coach stepped down as well. We'll see what happens in WBL - my understanding is the Head Coach lives in Lakeville so that has to be a tough commute. Assistant Coach has a daughter in the program so I suspect that would be the logical transition.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:01 am
bodyup88 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:59 pm Hearing rumblings on changes at both Woodbury and White Bear Lake.
I think the Woodbury gig is already open. Heard over the weekend that the Metro-South coach stepped down as well. We'll see what happens in WBL - my understanding is the Head Coach lives in Lakeville so that has to be a tough commute. Assistant Coach has a daughter in the program so I suspect that would be the logical transition.
Has the WBL girls job quickly become the most difficult one in the Metro? Four years ago WBL beat HM and went to State. Since that time:

- Gentry showed up a mile down the road;
- consolidation partially shored up declining programs around them (RSV/Maht and MV/Irondale), to what extent remains to be seen;
- Stillwater retains and recruits in top talent (at least 3 D1 commits).

Things look tough for WBL going forward.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Lots of unrest in Warroad.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Thanks elliott70. Confirms what I had heard. 8)
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Unrest in Warroad how? Due to graduation or are there other things going on?
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Rocketwrister wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:47 am Unrest in Warroad how? Due to graduation or are there other things going on?
Player/Parent concerns. Discussed pretty broadly on social media. Recruiting, sportsmanship, mental health issues, player treatment, etc. Really the same thing that’s been discussed there for 40-50 years, off and on.
girlshockey4ever

Rumor has it in St. Paul that Gentry head coach Billy Hengen is leaving. That seems like a no brainer. He was a 1 year guy from the start. The team returns a dismal 58 total points and only 21 goals. I'm sure this was a stepping stone for him. Use an already assembled team to catapult his career.