Games of the Night

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

headsupsticksdown

Re: Games of the Night

Post by headsupsticksdown »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:12 pm I'm liking EP scores. They might even eek out a #2 in that section over HF. Time will tell. Nice to see another team be competitive in section 2AA

Monster game tonight and the only game in town. Edina vs Maple Grove. Both teams have hopes of a state tournament birth and my guess is both will get there. That's right I said it. Either way Edina wins tonight 3-2 with 2 pp goals.
I have bought in to what Coach is doing with the girls in EP. A huge culture change from the previous regime and it’s really showing on the ice. Don’t know him personally, but he is a genuine human who is active in the community, respectful and seems to be preaching hard work and character as his key pillars of the program. I’m sold. I hope he’s around for a long time and I find it ridiculous hearing about what happened at Breck. Shame on them, but boy is EP lucky to have him!
girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever »

Well that should bring BSM back to reality. It's one thing to be young and talented and another to be good.
Big game in lakeville last night with North and South. Tie game.
Holy Family continues to underwhelm everyone. In fact, with a 3-2 win over Litchfield it's time we stop talking about them all together. In fact, as we tend to see with an out of control coach, their team is 2nd in the state in penalties....for a 3rd year in a row.

Farmington in the SSC. Mighty Mites as the YHH guys called them. A team to watch? 7-1 right now. Weak schedule but will be 8-1 when they play Tonka. Should be a great test to see where they stand.

Roseau vs Brained tonight. Should be a good game for section 8AA
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:07 am I have bought in to what Coach is doing with the girls in EP. A huge culture change from the previous regime and it’s really showing on the ice. Don’t know him personally, but he is a genuine human who is active in the community, respectful and seems to be preaching hard work and character as his key pillars of the program. I’m sold. I hope he’s around for a long time and I find it ridiculous hearing about what happened at Breck. Shame on them, but boy is EP lucky to have him!
EP seems to be headed in a good direction meanwhile Shakopee is struggling this year. And would like to know more about what happened at Breck. I assume BS with parents?
Surprised at the BSM/Andover result. I didn't see it but thought it'd be closer. Shots were even, was it a tough night for the BSM goalie?
Farmington looks to be a surprise contender in the SSC, but Tonka should put them in running time.
girlshockey4ever wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:47 amHoly Family continues to underwhelm everyone.
Big game tomorrow, if they aren't competitive against HM, I agree I think we can write them off.
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

I will give Holy Family Credit -- They hung in there with Hill for a while. Outshot Hill badly in 1st and had more shots overall I believe. And they came back from a 2-0 deficit to tie it before Hill stepped on the gas. Got the 1st pp goal vs HIll in over 30 attempts.

HF is extremely young this year. Next year, however, they have to be much better. Less penalties and better results. This year, they are fine with what they have, and will probably either get to the semis or finals of the section, as either EP or HF will play Tonka.
girlshockey4ever

They might have had a chance in the game but I'm sure what happens every time HF plays a big team happened that night. The other team scores first and maybe second and Randy loses his mind and starts yelling about everything. This in turn creates a circus and more and more more penalties are called on both teams. 12 penalties in the game between the two teams. I've only seen him coach twice and both times he was out of control.

Holy Family record vs top 10 teams (at the time) in the past 4 years:
2-17-2. (Maple Grove and Blake)

But let's get back to the Topic at hand Games of the Night

Grand Rapids vs Duluth- Northern battle
Holy Angles vs BSM- Nice match up.
Orono vs Maple Grove- MG needs a big rebound after being thumped 4-1 by Centennial
Farmington vs Minnetonka- On paper: It's two 8-1 teams. Time will tell.
Well Driller

Post by Well Driller »

Very good match ups.

Grand Rapids vs Duluth- GR 4-2
Holy Angles vs BSM- BSM 5-2
Orono vs Maple Grove- MG 3-1
Farmington vs Minnetonka- MTKA 5-3
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:59 am Holy Family record vs top 10 teams (at the time) in the past 4 years:
Wow, I knew they struggled against the better teams but that stat says a lot.

Grand Rapids vs Duluth- GR 5-1
Holy Angles vs BSM- BSM 4-1
Orono vs Maple Grove- Orono 2-1
Farmington vs Minnetonka- 87% of Farmington's goals are by 8th or 9th graders, exciting future ahead but Tonka will be too much, Tonka 6-1

One more enticing game, I'll go with the upset- CDH 3, Stillwater 2
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Eagles93 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:54 pm
girlshockey4ever wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:59 am Holy Family record vs top 10 teams (at the time) in the past 4 years:

Farmington vs Minnetonka- 87% of Farmington's goals are by 8th or 9th graders, exciting future ahead but Tonka will be too much, Tonka 6-1

Explains why the JV score ended with Tonka winning 8-0.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Gov78 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:55 pm
Eagles93 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:54 pm

Explains why the JV score ended with Tonka winning 8-0.
Varsity one ups the JV winning 9-0.
girlshockey4ever

Pretty big night of hockey last night!

Prior Lake over Shakopee 4-1. Big game to see who gets home ice in the 4-5 game in section 2AA
Rosemount loses to Albert Lea 3-2. Irish lose with 50 seconds left. Tigers score short handed. Drama!
Maple Grove sneaks past Orono 2-1.
NWC over Champlin/Coon Rapids 4-2. (EN) Big win for NWC. Not good for Champlin. As a team that just last week was ranked in the top 10, you can't drop that game. Bad news for CR... It's doesn't get easier.
BSM sneaks past AHA 1-0. Not sure what to make of this.
girlshockey4ever

Only two games of note tonight.

Edina vs Lakeville North. Panthers are undefeated and Edina's scores are underwhelming. Doesn't matter. Edina wins 4-1

Moorhead vs Warroad- Moorhead is older, stronger and faster. If they can stay out of the box they win. If they don't they lose.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:57 am Only two games of note tonight.

Edina vs Lakeville North. Panthers are undefeated and Edina's scores are underwhelming. Doesn't matter. Edina wins 4-1

Moorhead vs Warroad- Moorhead is older, stronger and faster. If they can stay out of the box they win. If they don't they lose.
Seems like solid picks. Curious to see just how well Lakeville North can hold up. They get HM next Wednesday as well in the holiday tournament, so they won't be a mystery any more.
girlshockey4ever

A few thoughts from last night scores. For the record I didn't watch a single minute of any game.

Centennial sneaks past wayzata 1-0. Not a good score for the Cougars. Wayzata has struggled. If Centennial wants to be in the big cat conversation they need to pound teams. This is not a score indicative of a #9 ranked team.

Edina over North 2-1. NIce game for the Panthers! Kept Edina to 17 shots.

Big one tonight. Hill vs Andover.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:58 am A few thoughts from last night scores. For the record I didn't watch a single minute of any game.

Centennial sneaks past wayzata 1-0. Not a good score for the Cougars. Wayzata has struggled. If Centennial wants to be in the big cat conversation they need to pound teams. This is not a score indicative of a #9 ranked team.

Edina over North 2-1. NIce game for the Panthers! Kept Edina to 17 shots.

Big one tonight. Hill vs Andover.
Should be an interesting one tonight. HM always gives Andover trouble, even when the under dog. That said, HM is due to a lose a game and will not finish their crazy schedule undefeated. So I'll take Andover 3-2.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Well, Sparlimb, you were half right. Pioneers beat Andover 2-0
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

slacsap wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:42 pm Well, Sparlimb, you were half right. Pioneers beat Andover 2-0
In Grace Zahn we trust. Sure is a great goalie. YHH had HM up after 1, 1-0 but shots 13-3 Andover. Holy Family outshot HM as well. That also can catch up to you as you're almost guaranteed a game where the goals just aren't going in. Both Tonka and Andover get another crack at HM. But next up is Lakeville North next Wednesday in the Mid-Winter Meltdown. Could be some good games in that tournament.

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/ ... rogram.pdf
Well Driller

Post by Well Driller »

Grace Zahn has to be the front runner for Senior Goalie of the Year. She's solid every game.

A couple others:

Dani Strom from Maple Grove
Tegan Swanson from Eden Prairie

Others?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Doesn't Minnetonka have a senior goaltender that is committed to the U? I know on the boys side, that was often synonymous with Mr. Hockey. Layla Hemp is who I was thinking, and it turns out she's a junior. So we'll keep her in mind for next year.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Some big holiday tournament games this week.

From yesterday:
Holy Family outshoots Stillwater 2:1 but loses 3-0.
Moorhead hangs tough with Tonka.
Strom only gives up 1 on 34 shots but that's all Andover needed.
Edina somewhat surprisingly crushes GR 7-2.
Warroad takes down Rosemount 5-4, no stats yet.

Big games today:
Holy Family v Moorhead - Moorhead 2-0
MG v GR/G - MG 2-1
Lakeville North v Hill-Murray - HM 4-1
Dodge County v Centennial/SLP - Centennial 4-2
Stillwater v Minnetonka - Tonka 3-0
Andover v Edina - Andover 3-1
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Hoping the Eagles Live stream is going today (the pdf for Midwinter Meltdown said it would be). Would like to watch some of these games.

https://gametimemn.com/ep-eagles-live/
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Lakeville North showing they have some fight with a solid 4-2 win over HM.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Sparlimb wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:48 am Hoping the Eagles Live stream is going today (the pdf for Midwinter Meltdown said it would be). Would like to watch some of these games.

https://gametimemn.com/ep-eagles-live/
It’ll be up for sure. Should be a good one!
Well Driller

Post by Well Driller »

Any predictions on some games today:

Minnetonka at Wayzata
Proctor Hermantown at Holy Family
Edina at Lakeville South
Andover at Maple Grove
Benilde at Northfield
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

How about that. Northfield beat Benilde. Congrats on the big win. BSM outshot them by a lot, but Northfield scores in the final 10 seconds to win. I don't see a loss on their schedule.

This is the first I've seen that the MSHSL saw fit to separate Lakeville South and North into different sections.

Projects to be a Northfield v Lakeville South in section 1AA. Would be a heck of a game.
girlshockey4ever

Crazy Night!
HF needs overtime to beat Proctor
Northfield (Puppe) over BSM
Andover needs OT vs Maple Grove- Then Andover loses to orono
The only beating was Minnetonka vs Wayzata.
Edina loses to Lakeville South-----Lakeville South who lost to Farmington!!#@!@. Who lost to Tonka 9-0. Who lost to edina 1-0

This season is Bonkers with scores.