Section 4AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BlueLineSpecial

Re: Section 4AA

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

bardown27 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:36 am
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:16 am
Smooth wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:50 am Only 2 goal difference of when hill got wrecked by Chanhassen. 4AA is up for grabs.
I've been very clear that Hill got handled by Minnetonka, Wayzata & Chanhassen. See about 19 of my previous posts. It's called reading. Top to bottom, left to right. A group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches, Midol for any cramps.

Secondly, two goals is significant. Are you implying that a 4-1 loss is the essentially same as a 2-1 loss? Thirdly, Hill's SOG were even with Chanhassen - 30 a piece. Chanhassen outshot Gentry by 20. For whatever that stat is worth, it at least implies there was some level of evenness or back-and-forth. Gentry generated a whopping 15 shots on goal.

So no, these two losses aren't the same. I swear someday you're going to be right about something, Smooth. And I'm going to celebrate like crazy when you are.
Where did you see 15 shots on goal? hockey hub has shots 41-27 Chan
Gentry's X account

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (11.44 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

Yup 4-1, 2-1, 6-1. They're all losses. I don't have time to read all your Hill loving crap. I just like the all the whining you do. 👍
BlueLineSpecial

Smooth wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:04 am Yup 4-1, 2-1, 6-1. They're all losses. I don't have time to read all your Hill loving crap. I just like the all the whining you do. 👍
This one hurts. If there was one person on this board that I looked up to, and whose opinion I valued most, it was you. Your deep insights and thoughtful commentary has always been the highlight of my day. To hear that you don't reciprocate my admiration is just devastating personally. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the basement corner, rocking back and forth slowly in the dark.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Post of the year above =D>
Play Like a Champion Today
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:51 am
Smooth wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:04 am Yup 4-1, 2-1, 6-1. They're all losses. I don't have time to read all your Hill loving crap. I just like the all the whining you do. 👍
This one hurts. If there was one person on this board that I looked up to, and whose opinion I valued most, it was you. Your deep insights and thoughtful commentary has always been the highlight of my day. To hear that you don't reciprocate my admiration is just devastating personally. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the basement corner, rocking back and forth slowly in the dark.
While you are down there bring up a couple of beers.
BlueLineSpecial

elliott70 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:48 pm
Schells OK?

BTW, I'm still waiting on word about a follow up to Northern Heat. For the unitiated, our friend Elliott70 wrote a novel I got my hands on. Pretty good! I've been promised a copy of any sequels....
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:35 pm
elliott70 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:48 pm

Schells OK?

BTW, I'm still waiting on word about a follow up to Northern Heat. For the unitiated, our friend Elliott70 wrote a novel I got my hands on. Pretty good! I've been promised a copy of any sequels....
Still writing, but work, life, travel, hockey and my wife puts it on hold a bit.
I am hoping this summer to crank out the rest of it.

Schells is more than fine.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Wait wait wait!!!

Pilsner? Bock? Oktoberfest? Dark?

Anything but the Deer Brand for me.
Hockey Is For Everyone
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

My understanding is gentry has some out-of-state players. Can anyone verify this for me?
East Side Pioneer Guy

inthetwine wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:28 am My understanding is gentry has some out-of-state players. Can anyone verify this for me?
What??? I thought the rumor was they have some IN-state players???
Hockey Is For Everyone
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Can someone explain to me how Gentry, a publicly, funded charter school, can accept out of state players, and still play in the MSHSL Why are Minnesota taxpayers paying for out-of-state kids to attend a public school, just to play hockey.
BlueLineSpecial

I actually think the vast majority of their players are from Minnesota. In fact it may be all MN players with the exception of 2 or 3. Gentry is not, and never will be, a national draw. Nor will they be a regional midwest draw. They're not even, and probably never will be, a metro-wide draw. From the looks of their roster, most players are from east of the Mississippi or thereabouts. Forest Lake, Mahtomedi, Lino Lakes, Oakdale, Dellwood, Ham Lake, Afton, Stillwater, Farmington.

Gentry can be hated, and their model can be disliked, but this is not some magnet for high-end players nationally.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:17 pm I actually think the vast majority of their players are from Minnesota. In fact it may be all MN players with the exception of 2 or 3. Gentry is not, and never will be, a national draw. Nor will they be a regional midwest draw. They're not even, and probably never will be, a metro-wide draw. From the looks of their roster, most players are from east of the Mississippi or thereabouts. Forest Lake, Mahtomedi, Lino Lakes, Oakdale, Dellwood, Ham Lake, Afton, Stillwater, Farmington.

Gentry can be hated, and their model can be disliked, but this is not some magnet for high-end players nationally.
Never said Interior it was a magnet for high-end hockey, however, it is a publicly funded school that is geared for athletics., not academics. The kids get one hour of practice every day during the school day. My question is, how is this acceptable for a publicly funded school. if it were still a private school like it was when it started, no questions asked.
East Side Pioneer Guy

My guess is that as long as Gentry is following the state standards, they're fine. When I say standards, I'm thinking of the number of instructional days, subjects covered, hours in the day, etc. So if 2 days/week of phys ed is a requirement for grades 9 & 10, who's to say it can't be hockey? And phys ed is certainly an allowable elective for grades 11 & 12. Does the state mandated phys ed requirement dictate that it can't be the same sport or activity for the entire year? I dunno, maybe it should, but I doubt that's the case now.

It seems like a great way for kids to burn out on something they love, but plenty of people spend thousands of dollars in a desperate attempt to get a free college education and an NHL contract. A 529 account for your kid just may be a more viable option.
Hockey Is For Everyone
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

The more money the more nuts parents are. Gentry founded by rich North Oaks family with dreams of little Chaz in the NHL. I have no problem with it, it’s their money.
stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey »

Don't even get me started on Gentry. I've gone off about them in the past. Wasted my breath on them then, so I won't do it now. But that was back when they had kids on their roster from Las Vegas, Massachusetts, etc.
BlueLineSpecial

stateofhawkey wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:50 pm Don't even get me started on Gentry. I've gone off about them in the past. Wasted my breath on them then, so I won't do it now. But that was back when they had kids on their roster from Las Vegas, Massachusetts, etc.
From the quick glance I did, I saw 1 kid from California, 1 from WI and 1 from Michigan. The rest from MN, and I think all (or the vast majority) from east of the Mississippi, putting most of their players within a short-ish drive of the school. I could be wrong - I didn't invest much of any time into it - but that's how it looked to me.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Gentry is no longer a private school that charges tuition, it is now a charter school paid for by the taxpayers of Minnesota. People from Out of state are not sending their kids here for any other reason then to play hockey. Minnesota taxpayers should not be paying for out of state kids to go to a Minnesota Public school. Especially for a school that is privately owned yet paid for by the taxpayers.
East Side Pioneer Guy

I've seen enough:

Hill - 30%
Stillwater - 25%
WBL - 25%
Gentry - 20%

Events with a probability of one in five happen all the time.

Now if Sager were still coaching, probably reverse Gentry and WBL.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

inthetwine wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:47 pm Can someone explain to me how Gentry, a publicly, funded charter school, can accept out of state players, and still play in the MSHSL Why are Minnesota taxpayers paying for out-of-state kids to attend a public school, just to play hockey.
Its for the extensive Phy Ed program. Those kids come out smarter.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

SEC Scotty wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:40 pm The more money the more nuts parents are. Gentry founded by rich North Oaks family with dreams of little Chaz in the NHL. I have no problem with it, it’s their money.
Did Jr make it to the NHL? Or is he still coming through?
BlueLineSpecial

Sparlimb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:15 am
SEC Scotty wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:40 pm The more money the more nuts parents are. Gentry founded by rich North Oaks family with dreams of little Chaz in the NHL. I have no problem with it, it’s their money.
He's still on his way up. He's had a ton of injuries, and lost significant parts of several seasons. Shoulder issues, foot or ankle issue if I recall, and a knee injury as well. I think if he were healthy he would be on his way to the NHL, and may still be. He's not that old. He's a stud - didn't he commit to the Gophers at like 12 years old???

EDIT: Ok I was wrong, he committed to the Gophers at 14

His family has/had a compound not far from me in the northeast metro. They literally built a full-size rink/arena on it. If I recall, some were up in arms because it's literally an arena - with bathrooms, seating, etc. and people were worried it was going to be used for large-scale games. I believe the family assured everyone it was private use only, to get the kids all the ice time they could want. Talk about committment! Money solves a lot of challenges.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

2 goals and 11 assists in 17 games with a minus 4 for the Manitoba Moose this season. 7 goals in 18 games between Manitoba and Portland of the WHL last year so certainly has a ways to go to get to the NHL. Still very young though as he won't turn 21 until this May. (Will the Lucius family throw a big party in Grant?) He was drafted #18 in the 2021 Entry Draft ahead of Jesper Wallstedt, Wyatt Johston, Mackie Samoskevich, Olen Zellweger among others. We'll see if he can stay healthy and make some strides.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:50 am
Sparlimb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:15 am
He's still on his way up. He's had a ton of injuries, and lost significant parts of several seasons. Shoulder issues, foot or ankle issue if I recall, and a knee injury as well. I think if he were healthy he would be on his way to the NHL, and may still be. He's not that old. He's a stud - didn't he commit to the Gophers at like 12 years old???

EDIT: Ok I was wrong, he committed to the Gophers at 14

His family has/had a compound not far from me in the northeast metro. They literally built a full-size rink/arena on it. If I recall, some were up in arms because it's literally an arena - with bathrooms, seating, etc. and people were worried it was going to be used for large-scale games. I believe the family assured everyone it was private use only, to get the kids all the ice time they could want. Talk about committment! Money solves a lot of challenges.
In addition to the ice rink, it was also built to be an event, center, weddings, etc. But the city of Grant would not allow them permits.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

WBL looking like the 4 seed. They looked broken vs Park today