Section 4AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

East Side Pioneer Guy

Re: Section 4AA

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:21 pm
kpryan888 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:00 pm
tourneytickssince59 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:48 pm Announcer on NSPN TV just said he thinks Gentry #1 seed followed by HM then WBL and Stillwater..... Interesting
I heard that too, not sure how he came to that conclusion.
Laughably dumb take. Dumbest I’ve heard so far in 2024. The announcer should resign in disgrace :idea:
So you haven't been reading my post?!? Harumph!
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Don't get down, ESPG. I think your posts are dumb too! Just stick with it - with a little help, you could be the best (worst).

Hill has, to my mild surprise, started to come around and are playing their best hockey at the right time. During that 4 game losing streak mid-season, culminating with a running time loss to Tonka and a hard-to-swallow loss to Two Rivers, it just felt like this team didn't have 'it'. I still believe they are a level below the top 4-5 teams, but thats better than the two or three levels below them where Hill was not all that long ago.

Hill is 0-6 this year against the top 5 teams of Tonka, Wayzata, Edina, Chanhassen & BSM, which isn't great. But the blowout win last night against a very good Maple Grove team that had won 9 of their last 10 and seemed to be playing their best hockey of the year is really promising. They swept STA and held strong in a couple of close losses to Edina. If Hill continues to round into late-season form, they could be trouble for almost anyone. I should have known better than to doubt that Lechner would get them rocking at the right time. Lesson learned.

That all said, I could still see them losing in sections. WBL will always be a tough out. Gentry can score and could take down anyone in the section. And Stillwater, despite their bad loss to Mounds View, has proven capable of beating/hanging with very good teams.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

I would be shocked to see gentry, seeded higher than 4, The other coaches, don’t like them, and won’t vote for them. That would more than likely mean a Hill/gentry semifinal game.
East Side Pioneer Guy

I'm not as willing as Blue to say Hill is peaking. The result with BSM was very unimpressive. And while the results against Hated Edina were better than the 6-1 I feared, it really says something to call that a positive data point.

Sweeping STA is always welcome, but that game was a coin flip at best against a #12ish team. Last night was a fun game in a season with not many highlights, but I wouldn't call it a peak.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:50 am I'm not as willing as Blue to say Hill is peaking. The result with BSM was very unimpressive. And while the results against Hated Edina were better than the 6-1 I feared, it really says something to call that a positive data point.

Sweeping STA is always welcome, but that game was a coin flip at best against a #12ish team. Last night was a fun game in a season with not many highlights, but I wouldn't call it a peak.
My philosophy on this:

After the brutal 4 game losing streak mid-season, Hill has rattled off 9 wins out of 12, their three losses being to the #2 ranked Hornets and the #5 ranked Red Knights. They beat STA, GR, Stillwater, Mahtomedi & #6 ranked Maple Grove in that stretch. STA was ranked #8 when we beat them, sliding down to #12-ish after their losses to Hill and Maple Grove. You could argue that at the time of beating Grand Rapids and Stillwater, those teams were playing very good hockey. Same with Maple Grove. They were on a run before last night at Aldrich. Hill beat Mahtomedi 3-1 at the beginning of the year and 9-1 during this latest stretch.

(1) Hill is now beating ranked teams more consistently and (2) is beating teams handily - a la the running time wins over the Zephyrs and
Crimson and (3) is beating the same opponents more decisively now than the beginning of the year - a la the difference in wins over the Zephyrs. For me, that indicates they are peaking. It might not be peak HM peaking, but it's sure a lot better than the first half of the year.
CrimsonCakeEater

Post by CrimsonCakeEater »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:15 pm Aldrich is the Rose Bowl of MN high school arenas, it's the Grand Daddy of them all.
I think some folks from a certain West Metro suburb may disagree with this statement
Small town on the west side with a dream
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

CrimsonCakeEater wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:11 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:15 pm Aldrich is the Rose Bowl of MN high school arenas, it's the Grand Daddy of them all.
I think some folks from a certain West Metro suburb may disagree with this statement
Well, that would be wrong.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Parking at Aldrich is way better than anywhere in the West Metro.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Easy access, great parking, great sightlines from every seat in the arena, unbelievable atmosphere, and hotdogs bigger than your head, what more can I say!
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

SEC Scotty wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:45 pm Parking at Aldrich is way better than anywhere in the West Metro.
That part is true. I told a few people at the last game I attended, I'm happy to see consolation there this year. Plenty big and FREE parking. I would be in favor of skipping Mariucci in the future.
BlueLineSpecial

If If If Hill were to get to State this year, they've actually done a nice job giving themselves a real shot at the 4-seed, if not the 3-seed.

Assume sections 2AA & 6AA get the top two seeds at State no matter what. After that, it's up for grabs. The 1AA isn't getting a seed. That leaves 3AA, 4AA, 5AA, 7AA & 8AA to battle for the remaining 3 seeds. Hill has beaten Moorhead (8AA), Grand Rapids (7AA), Maple Grove (5AA), and swept STA (3AA).

Getting the 3 seed keeps you from playing Tonka if you advance past the quarterfinals, which would be helpful for any team.

The above is rampant speculation, and Hill will not have an easy path to State, even if they are the favorite in 4AA. But their late season push, knocking off some of the better/favorite teams in a variety of other sections may come back to help them if they make it.

Way too many things between now and then, but fun to just ponder how it all might play out.
East Side Pioneer Guy

I can see Hill losing in the section semis, and also finishing as high as third at state. Avoiding the #1 and #2 seeds in the first round at the X is key to any team outside of 2 and 6, Although I'd also have to say that if Chanhassen upsets Tonka, they aren't a shoe-in to the final.

It's really difficult to see someone other than Tonka or Edina/Wayzata winning it all. It's just tough to see anyone beating both of them. That's why I say if Chanhassen should upset Tonka, they may be very good, but they don't have the tournament experience other teams do. I would be only mildly surprised to see Maple Grove, STA, Andover, or Hill beat Chan. Chan would be the #2 seed, and we've seen inexperienced #2's find themselves in the consolation round at 1:30 on Thursday afternoon. Lex and Rand are very capable of some surprises at the Fuse Box.

But the thing to keep in mind is that this Tonka team is on par with the Jefferson 90's dynasty. In a few weeks, we will likely reflect on the season and say, "Yep, it was Tonka all along. I knew it."
Hockey Is For Everyone
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

With white bears win over Creitin tonight, they may have claimed the number two seed.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:18 pm I can see Hill losing in the section semis, and also finishing as high as third at state. Avoiding the #1 and #2 seeds in the first round at the X is key to any team outside of 2 and 6, Although I'd also have to say that if Chanhassen upsets Tonka, they aren't a shoe-in to the final.

It's really difficult to see someone other than Tonka or Edina/Wayzata winning it all. It's just tough to see anyone beating both of them. That's why I say if Chanhassen should upset Tonka, they may be very good, but they don't have the tournament experience other teams do. I would be only mildly surprised to see Maple Grove, STA, Andover, or Hill beat Chan. Chan would be the #2 seed, and we've seen inexperienced #2's find themselves in the consolation round at 1:30 on Thursday afternoon. Lex and Rand are very capable of some surprises at the Fuse Box.

But the thing to keep in mind is that this Tonka team is on par with the Jefferson 90's dynasty. In a few weeks, we will likely reflect on the season and say, "Yep, it was Tonka all along. I knew it."
I want to remember Tonka just about losing a QF last year to a .500 team. Having to score with a goalie pulled to tie and win in OT. But that wasn't the same team we have this year, so I'm not thinking that's going to happen.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

inthetwine wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:38 pm With white bears win over Creitin tonight, they may have claimed the number two seed.
White Bear has a better record than Hill and they tied when they played. That said, HM has them on SOS and I think the coaches will give them #1.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:18 pm But the thing to keep in mind is that this Tonka team is on par with the Jefferson 90's dynasty. In a few weeks, we will likely reflect on the season and say, "Yep, it was Tonka all along. I knew it."
Except for when Tonka loses to Chan in the section final
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

bardown27 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:34 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:18 pm But the thing to keep in mind is that this Tonka team is on par with the Jefferson 90's dynasty. In a few weeks, we will likely reflect on the season and say, "Yep, it was Tonka all along. I knew it."
Jefferson had 5 players from that group that made it to the NHL so let’s slow down a little on the comparison. No one on the Tonka team is as good as Mike Crowley. The Jefferson group all played together as youths and during their three peat they were 70-3-2.
Last edited by WarmUpTheBus on Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
East Side Pioneer Guy

bardown27 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:34 pm
Reminds of the old joke about second marriages: The triumph of hope over experience.
Hockey Is For Everyone
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Go Govies!!! Hope they can win at least 1 playoff game!!!
BlueLineSpecial

Did the coaches get this section's top 4 seeding right?

1. HM
2. WBL
3. Stillwater
4. Gentry

Don't think anyone can doubt Hill being the #1. Seeds 2-4:

#2 WBL
17-7-1
SOS: 27

#3 Stillwater
14-9-2
SOS: 17

#4 Gentry
19-6-0
SOS: 44

Only 1 common opponent between all 3: Park of Cottage Grove:
-Gentry won 4-1
-Stillwater won 4-1 & 9-1
-WBL lost 0-4

Champlin Park was a common opponent only between Gentry & WBL:
-Gentry won 7-2
-WBL lost 5-6

Holy Family was a common opponent only between Gentry & Stillwater:
-Gentry won 4-1
-Stillwater tied 2-2

Gentry performed better than both WBL and Stillwater against common opponents. Gentry has the better overall record, but strength of schedule was notably worse.

I think if Gentry could have played an even slightly harder schedule, they would have gotten the 2 or 3 seed. Thats the only thing that seemed to have held them at the 4-seed.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:24 pm Did the coaches get this section's top 4 seeding right?

1. HM
2. WBL
3. Stillwater
4. Gentry

Don't think anyone can doubt Hill being the #1. Seeds 2-4:

#2 WBL
17-7-1
SOS: 27

#3 Stillwater
14-9-2
SOS: 17

#4 Gentry
19-6-0
SOS: 44

Only 1 common opponent between all 3: Park of Cottage Grove:
-Gentry won 4-1
-Stillwater won 4-1 & 9-1
-WBL lost 0-4

Champlin Park was a common opponent only between Gentry & WBL:
-Gentry won 7-2
-WBL lost 5-6

Holy Family was a common opponent only between Gentry & Stillwater:
-Gentry won 4-1
-Stillwater tied 2-2

Gentry performed better than both WBL and Stillwater against common opponents. Gentry has the better overall record, but strength of schedule was notably worse.

I think if Gentry could have played an even slightly harder schedule, they would have gotten the 2 or 3 seed. Thats the only thing that seemed to have held them at the 4-seed.
Coaches won’t vote for gentry because most think it’s an unfair practice to allow a publicly funded charter school to bring players from out of state just to play hockey.
A school that is athletics first and education second goes against what a charter school concept should be.
One of the reasons for their weak schedule is, it’s tough for them to find coaches that will schedule games with them.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

As for the 1,2,3 seeds, I think it’s based on the head to head between White Bear, Hill, Stillwater.
Hill one win one tie.
White bear, one win, one loss, one tie.
Stillwater, one win two losses.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

4AA semis on Wednesday rather than Tuesday is quite the decision...makes very little sense.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

mnpuckster wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:46 am 4AA semis on Wednesday rather than Tuesday is quite the decision...makes very little sense.
I believe 3AA (To Monday Night) and 4AA (to Wednesday Night) had to move off of Tuesday because Minnesota's major political parties will hold their precinct caucuses on Tuesday, Feb. 27. At schools and community centers across the state and generally that means no activties for any sport on that night.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

That makes sense. Bummer so much overlap on Wednesday