Playoff Games Saturday 2/24/24

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Gov78

Re: Playoff Games Saturday 2/24/24

Post by Gov78 »

6:50 remaining in 3rd period

Section 2AA Semifinal Game
#1 Minnetonka - 3
#4 Eden Prairie - 1
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Andover 4, Duluth East 1, setting up an Andover vs Grand Rapids 7AA final next Thursday night at Amsoil Arena.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

4:16 remaining in 3rd period

#1 Minnetonka - 4
#4 Eden Prairie - 1
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

#1 Minnetonka - 4
#4 Eden Prairie - 1

Tonka 3 for 6 on PP
EP 0 for 1 on PP

Final

SOG 31-19
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:43 pm Are we all going to have a sad when there are no significant upsets today?
Not only have there been no upsets (yet) but the games haven’t even been close (yet)
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:43 pm Are we all going to have a sad when there are no significant upsets today?
Keep on eye on this Edina-BSM game. BSM up 1-0 in second. Not sure what would be considered an upset, but this is one of the first competitive games in AA. Winner faces Wayzata.

Shakopee vs Channy should be good too.

p.s. Rogers 1, Centennial 2 at the moment. I think Rogers is favored. EDIT: Centennial is seeded #2, Rogers #3.
Last edited by JerseyDave on Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I should have stuck around EP/Tonka to ask the refs what the going rate was for a Tonka penalty. Talk about one sided. Maybe the lead scriptwriter knew, or left it to the refs to decide?
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

ryguyMN wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:16 pm I should have stuck around EP/Tonka to ask the refs what the going rate was for a Tonka penalty. Talk about one sided. Maybe the lead scriptwriter knew.
Any particular uncalled penalties? I can watch the replay to see if there's anything that stood out. Tonka D Robby House (#33) clobbered an EP player early, but it looked like a clean hit. A different EP player responded after the whistle, and both House and the EP player were assessed roughing minors. So IMO that one went against Tonka. I think EP had at least two penalties late when they were either frustrated or trying to make something happen. I didn't watch super closely though. The EP goalie was called for an obvious penalty, taking out a Tonka player with a high-stick.
Last edited by JerseyDave on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

JerseyDave wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:25 pm
ryguyMN wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:16 pm I should have stuck around EP/Tonka to ask the refs what the going rate was for a Tonka penalty. Talk about one sided. Maybe the lead scriptwriter knew.
Any particular uncalled penalities? I can watch the replay to see if there's anything that stood out. Tonka D Robby House (#33) clobbered an EP player early, but it looked like a clean hit. A different EP player responded after the whistle, and both House and the EP player were assessed roughing minors. So IMO that one went against Tonka. I think EP had at least two penalites late when they were either frustrated or trying or make something happen. I didn't watch super closely though. The EP goalie was called for an obvious penalty, taking out a Tonka player with a high-stick.
The penalty that resulted in the 4th Tonka goal on the PP was Charmin soft. The goalkeeper was yapping with the ref during the ensuing faceoff, then decided to take a frustration penalty late.

Left early. I gave the “money” sign with both hands before leaving in disgust.

There was a woman working the lines, she did a much better job than the two guys wearing the orange armbands.
Ryan
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

ryguyMN wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:16 pm I should have stuck around EP/Tonka to ask the refs what the going rate was for a Tonka penalty. Talk about one sided. Maybe the lead scriptwriter knew, or left it to the refs to decide?
Rarely gripe about the refs, but holy smokes from the opening puck drop it was really insane. The cross checks right in front of the bench and then the total pancake behind the net where they took both and didn’t choose to tack on an extra 2:00 on Tonka really jobbed EP early.

Tonka is clearly better talent wise, but the penalty difference in this game was the key for Tonka.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

ryguyMN wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:30 pm The penalty that resulted in the 4th Tonka goal on the PP was Charmin soft. The goalkeeper was yapping with the ref during the ensuing faceoff, then decided to take a frustration penalty late.

There was a woman working the lines, she did a much better job than the two guys wearing the orange armbands.
I'm no hockey expert so my final comment on this issue is that I don't think this Minnetonka team actually takes many penalities in any games. Now that I think about it, the announcer Pete Waggoner did say early that the EP coach had legitimate gripes with the refs. He also mentioned that Tonka draws penalties because the forwards go wide and then collapse towards the net, forcing the defenders to make decisions and forcing the refs to make judgment calls. I don't think the refs decided this game though.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

JerseyDave wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:36 pm
ryguyMN wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:30 pm The penalty that resulted in the 4th Tonka goal on the PP was Charmin soft. The goalkeeper was yapping with the ref during the ensuing faceoff, then decided to take a frustration penalty late.

I'm no hockey expert so my final comment on this issue is that I don't think this Minnetonka team actually takes many penalities in any games. Now that I think about it, the announcer Pete Waggoner did say early that the EP coach had legitimate gripes with the refs. He also mentioned that Tonka draws penalties because the forwards go wide and then collapse towards the net, forcing the defenders to make decisions and forcing the refs to make judgment calls. I don't think the refs decided this game though.
Tonka had 2 PP goals that clearly changed the game. I get swallowing the whistle on the physical play, but to then call super soft calls against EP like the tripping and hooking when Tonka was crashing into the net was pretty weak. Look, Tonka is the better team but they called literally zero against Tonka the entire game.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BHS Section 6A Playoff Final
#1 Alexandria 4
#4 Morris Benson 0
Final
Alexandria pulls away late after a good effort from the upset minded Morris Benson Storm. Alex will now head back to the 6A Title Game on Thursday.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:35 pm
ryguyMN wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:16 pm I should have stuck around EP/Tonka to ask the refs what the going rate was for a Tonka penalty. Talk about one sided. Maybe the lead scriptwriter knew, or left it to the refs to decide?
Rarely gripe about the refs, but holy smokes from the opening puck drop it was really insane. The cross checks right in front of the bench and then the total pancake behind the net where they took both and didn’t choose to tack on an extra 2:00 on Tonka really jobbed EP early.

Tonka is clearly better talent wise, but the penalty difference in this game was the key for Tonka.
Agreed 100%. I usually give the refs the benefit of the doubt (I umpired baseball too). I was asking how did EP not get the PP there and how was it 5 on 5 in that situation.
Ryan
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I thought MNHockey.TV would be neutral with announcing. This BSM/Edina game you would swear was being aired on Edina Public Access.
Ryan
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

JerseyDave wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:36 pm

But as you said you're no hockey expert, just a shill for Pete's lame hockey broadcasts.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Edina wins 2-1 with a late wraparound goal by Bobby Cowan in the final 15 seconds.
Last edited by JerseyDave on Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

ryguyMN wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:47 pm I thought MNHockey.TV would be neutral with announcing. This BSM/Edina game you would swear was being aired on Edina Public Access.
I don't think MNHockey.TV determines the announcers of the games that they broadcast. This isn't network TV where they are bringing in neutral announcers and a production truck. As I understand it, MNHockey.TV provides games to view that are being broadcast by the home team (whoever owns the rights) in a revenue-sharing agreement. Some of these same games are also free and would be broadcast anyway if you search hard enough on youtube (like the community TV networks). But the MNHockey.TV app is useful for switching between games quickly and you get a lot more games than just the free ones with the unlimited 30-day package. I have no connection to MNHockey.TV or Pete Waggoner, just familar with Pete because he has broadcast a lot of Tonka games going back to 2006.
Last edited by JerseyDave on Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

SEC Scotty wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:54 pm But as you said you're no hockey expert, just a shill for Pete's lame hockey broadcasts.
Not a shill, I'm a paying customer of both single games and the monthly package at MNHockey.TV, and I've shared my experiences here. I'm familiar with Pete because he broadcast virtually every home game during Tonka's first championship season with Bobby Brink, and then the following season when Tonka was featured on Dream State (season-long episodes). Pete is knowledgable, entertaining and been at the streaming game since 2006 in various formats trying to make it work. Although MNHockey.TV is still a work-in-progress, I've found it be worth the 30-day package with unlimited games. I will cancel soon and then resubscribe next season most likely, similar to how I use Youtube.TV (only subscribed during college basketball season). I don't have cable TV and watch on my iPad. MNHockey.TV was also responsive to my tech support inquiries, which makes me feel more comfortable with them as a service provider. I've never met Pete, I live in New Jersey (Tonka grad).
Last edited by JerseyDave on Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BHS Section 8A Playoff Final
#2 @Warroad 5
#3 @Thief River Falls 2
Final
Warroad ends Thief River Falls season for the 3rd season in a row. The Warriors now move on to the 8A Final to take on #1 seed EGF in a highly anticipated game.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Next up, the Daddy's Money chant.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BHS Section 1A Playoff Final
#1 Northfield 8
#4 Albert Lea 1
Final
Northfield gets pushed by Albert Lea early but the Raiders reunite their big top line mid game and those 3 carry them to the win. They move into the 1A Final on Wednesday Night.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BHS Section 2A Playoff Final
#3 MPLS 6
#2 Delano 3
Final
Minneapolis pulls off a big shocker as they take down Delano in the 2A Semis. The 612 crew will now head to the Section Final on Wednesday Night
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

5AA: #2 Centennial 5, #3 Rogers 1 FINAL
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

2AA: #2 Chanhassen 1-0 over #3 Shakopee, end of first period. Mr. Hockey finalist Gavin Uhlenkamp with a goal in the first minute of the game.

UPDATE: 1-1, first minute in second period. Nice shallow-angle goal from the left corner goal line by Shakopee's Simpson. Pete Waggoner described it as a "goal scorer's goal." Channy has a lot of seniors, Sabers only four but keeping up with the Storm. Tonka has a 3-2 win over Channy and 4-3 over Shakopee (tight games) this season. Winner will face Tonka in 2AA final.

UPDATE: 1-1, end of second. Good game so far.

UPDATE: 2-1, Chanhassen with the early goal in the third period. All three goals have been early in each period.

UPDATE: 2-2, Shakopee with a PP goal mid-third period. Great game so far. Shakopee is a great young team.

UPDATE: 3-2, Chanhassen. Uhlenkamp with an absolute beauty, maneuvering with the puck to position himself and then bury his shot.

UPDATE: 4-2 Chanhassen, empty netter in final minute after a flurry of Saber attempts on the other side.

4-2 FINAL, Storm vs Skippers in 2AA final, a rematch from last year.
Last edited by JerseyDave on Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:14 pm, edited 15 times in total.