All-Metro State Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CrimsonCakeEater

All-Metro State Tournament

Post by CrimsonCakeEater »

With 8AA down to Elk River and Buffalo, is this the year we finally (and imo, unfortunately) get 8 metro teams in the AA tournament? Would need either Century/JM to beat Lakeville South (unlikely) or Grand Rapids to beat Andover (possible) to prevent it from happening. Unless, of course, someone wants to claim that Elk and/or Buffalo aren't Metro, which some people I know seem to think.
Small town on the west side with a dream
ozz

Re: All-Metro State Tournament

Post by ozz »

I grew up in ER, and I work in Buffalo. Both are absolutely Metro.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

If it does happen it will be the 1st time in 80 years. I don’t think I’d make any significant changes unless it becomes a long term trend.

It was talked about a lot starting in the early 80’s. It never really turned into the northern demise people thought (or hoped) would happen.

The fact that it hasn’t happened even once yet is pretty telling.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

grindiangrad-80 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:44 am If it does happen it will be the 1st time in 80 years. I don’t think I’d make any significant changes unless it becomes a long term trend.

It was talked about a lot starting in the early 80’s. It never really turned into the northern demise people thought (or hoped) would happen.

The fact that it hasn’t happened even once yet is pretty telling.
I'd have to better understand some of the northern youth numbers, etc. before any handwringing. I like having the Moorheads, Roseaus, Grand Rapids in the tourney - and it would be a shame if the state tournament becomes more metro-centric than it already is.

I don't follow things closely enough, but I would be surprised to hear of any real concern with a northern demise. Haven't the last 4 Mr. Hockey winners come from the north? And like half of the recent Brimsek award winners? Hermantown could have won a couple of AA titles lately, or at least been in serious contention. Hard to compete with the depth of some high-end metro schools and privates.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
grindiangrad-80

Agree blueline. I’m good with 2 northern sections and 6 from the southern part of the state. The majority of the population is closer to the metro and should be represented that way. I’m also good with the Elk Rivers and Andovers playing in 7 and 8. They make those sections better.

The strongest programs will still stand the test of time. As much as hockey has grown it’s still going to be the same 15 or 20 teams in and out of the tournament the majority of the years.

I’m a northern guy but the 2 best games I’ve watched this year were Edina/ Wayzata last week and Edina/BSM yesterday.

Can’t wait to see what this week brings.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

From the start in 1947 to 1969 the state championship belonged to a northern team other than 3 times when it was St Paul Johnson.
Then Edina can along.
Most of us (northerners) knew it was going to happen but understood it was a good thing for high school hockey.
We hated Edina but they had some good teams.
Now its west metro area that is strong. I would think that in time that strength will move in a different direction.
But as long as the MSHSL does not mess with the product we will have the best thing going.

Go Hornets.
But cheering for the Thunder-Hawks.

And Class A.
grindiangrad-80

For sure Elliott. The world is a much smaller place than it seemed back then. I used to think of Edina as the bad cities guys who wanted to ruin my March.

Now I like watching them play. I really like the way they play the game and it really hasn’t changed much over the years. They are either going to kill you or it will be a wild one.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

elliott70 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:32 am From the start in 1947 to 1969 the state championship belonged to a northern team other than 3 times when it was St Paul Johnson.
Then Edina can along.
Most of us (northerners) knew it was going to happen but understood it was a good thing for high school hockey.
We hated Edina but they had some good teams.
Now its west metro area that is strong. I would think that in time that strength will move in a different direction.
But as long as the MSHSL does not mess with the product we will have the best thing going.

Go Hornets.
But cheering for the Thunder-Hawks.

And Class A.
Minor corrections.

- The MN HS state tournament started in 1945.
- St. Paul Johnson won the tournament 4 times between the start and 1969, winning in '47, '53, '55, '63.

I was JHS class of 1978
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Nice catch

My memory is good but not perfect.
Last edited by elliott70 on Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

No one who is a supporter of two class hockey should complain about a metro AA bracket. When we had one class, we had 2 1/2 northern sections. This year Warroad and Hermantown would likely win their sections.

We can have two consistently strong northern sections or two classes. The choice was made decades ago, mive on.
Hockey Is For Everyone
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I haven’t seen any northerners complaining.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm No one who is a supporter of two class hockey should complain about a metro AA bracket. When we had one class, we had 2 1/2 northern sections. This year Warroad and Hermantown would likely win their sections.

We can have two consistently strong northern sections or two classes. The choice was made decades ago, mive on.
I beg to differ:

EGF and Hermantown. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What is a Green Wave anyway?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

:D :D
TTpuckster wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:11 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm No one who is a supporter of two class hockey should complain :D about a metro AA bracket. When we had one class, we had 2 1/2 northern sections. This year Warroad and Hermantown would likely win their sections.

I beg to differ:

Yup
East Side Pioneer Guy

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm No one who is a supporter of two class hockey should complain about a metro AA bracket. When we had one class, we had 2 1/2 northern sections. This year Warroad and Hermantown would likely win their sections.

I beg to differ:

Warroad, EGF, they're interchangeable to me.
Hockey Is For Everyone
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:50 pm

I beg to differ:

Well, being that I’m from EGF, they are not for me. Go Green Wave. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

I beg to differ:

So are HM, CDH, BSM, STA, etc... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
East Side Pioneer Guy

CitiesSpudsGuy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:42 pm

I beg to differ:

As FDR said when he addressed a group of wealthy industrialists, "I welcome your hate." It makes the wins so much sweeter.
Hockey Is For Everyone
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:47 pm

As FDR said when he addressed a group of wealthy industrialists, "I welcome your hate." It makes the wins so much sweeter.
No hatred on this end. You saw the laughing emojis, right? Hate is such a strong word. I prefer "dislike". 🤣🤣🤣🤣
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Go Grand Rapids. Team brings down pretty much the whole town. I care about Andover as I do about Hill Murray.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

FDR was a communist.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

And his wife was a …..
East Side Pioneer Guy

All is right with the world, Scotty and I are on opposite sides again.
Hockey Is For Everyone
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

SEC Scotty wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:09 pm
FDR was a communist.
He also said The only thing we have to fear is the fear of an All-Metro State Tourney.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:18 pm
SEC Scotty wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:09 pm

FDR was a communist.
He also said The only thing we have to fear is the fear of an All-Metro State Tourney.
😂😂😂😂😂
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Maybe Metro State High School League is a better name than Minnetonka State High School League for the MSHSL.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy