2024 AA tourney

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

2024 AA tourney

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Here we go Bears, here we go!

Thought I'd just say that. :mrgreen: Anyhow, hopefully Gabriel & Co can snap the dread qtr final. [-o<
I can splash in the rink puddles!
stpaul

Re: 2024 AA tourney

Post by stpaul »

Life long Pioneer fan and WBL hater here. However I am getting soft in my old age. I wound like to see WBL end this ridiculous 80-year old curse. I was never a Red Sox or Cubs fan either, but I rooted for them in 2004 and 2016.

Earlier I was sitting here feeling bad that HM is not in the Tourney. Then I realized how completely spoiled we are. 33 one-class and AA tournament appearances in the 50 years since private schools joined the MSHLS. (18 of the last 22 before this year.) Four Championships. The next closest in appearances during that time is Edina with 29.

This is a one time only - Go Bears!
(I do still hate Edina.)
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I’m with you. Obviously I’d love to see a Rapids win but if the Bears can get that win that will be alright too. I’m bringing my son to the game to see the greatest event in high school sports. ( We now live in Wisconsin)

Hoping for a game that makes you glad you saw it- regardless of the winner.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I'm good with the streak continuing.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

The Streak is almost hard to believe. Excluding White Bear Mariner from back in the day, is it 0-19 or 0-20 in quarterfinal games? What possible comparison is there to this? Cubs and Red Sox comparisons make sense, but those were championship droughts. Those teams made the postseason plenty of times, won games and even series. The Twins had an 18 game postseason losing streak - but again, they won series before that, including titles. I honestly can't think of a more bizarre run of terrible luck. Someone could probably research this fairly easily, but how many of those quarterfinal games were the Bears favored versus being an underdog? I know there were some heartbreakers in there as well - games they outplayed their opponent but just couldn't get it done.

As a lifelong WBL resident (45 years and counting) but a HM grad and avid supporter, I have mixed emotions. I want to root for the Bears, but I just...can't....bring...myself...to do it. Let the streak reign supreme!! :P
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
BlueLineSpecial

Think about this: the Bears average making it to State every, what, 4 years give or take? At that pace, and assuming the Bears win every single opening game of the tournament, they wouldnt' get to .500 in quarterfinals games for almost 100 years. At that point hockey will be played by robots on a floating VR rink :lol:
CrimsonCakeEater

Post by CrimsonCakeEater »

Barring Edina losing to Centennial in the final, I’ll be content with whoever wins it all this year. Would obviously love to see Edina get #14, but every other team in the tournament is one I’d find myself rooting for most years. I just can’t take losing another championship game to Centennial after how the Prep Bowl ended.
Small town on the west side with a dream
grindiangrad-80

Probably been covered on here somewhere already but I just noticed GR is the only 1 seed in for today. Has to be lowest number of 1 seeds ever?
kpryan888

Post by kpryan888 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:54 am The Streak is almost hard to believe. Excluding White Bear Mariner from back in the day, is it 0-19 or 0-20 in quarterfinal games? What possible comparison is there to this? Cubs and Red Sox comparisons make sense, but those were championship droughts. Those teams made the postseason plenty of times, won games and even series. The Twins had an 18 game postseason losing streak - but again, they won series before that, including titles. I honestly can't think of a more bizarre run of terrible luck. Someone could probably research this fairly easily, but how many of those quarterfinal games were the Bears favored versus being an underdog? I know there were some heartbreakers in there as well - games they outplayed their opponent but just couldn't get it done.

As a lifelong WBL resident (45 years and counting) but a HM grad and avid supporter, I have mixed emotions. I want to root for the Bears, but I just...can't....bring...myself...to do it. Let the streak reign supreme!! :P
I mean, Minnesota professional men’s sports teams are a collective 51 appearances since they last had a team play for the championship. Feels pretty comparable.
BlueLineSpecial

MN sports in general is pretty cursed, and probably a decent comparison. But at least we've won playoff games/series in every major sport. The Bears have literally never gotten off the schneid. It would be the equivalent of the Vikings making the postseason all the times that they have, but not winning a single one of those games. Championships are one thing. Not winning a singletime despite making it 20+ times is another.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

grindiangrad-80 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:14 am I’m with you. Obviously I’d love to see a Rapids win but if the Bears can get that win that will be alright too. I’m bringing my son to the game to see the greatest event in high school sports. ( We now live in Wisconsin)

Hoping for a game that makes you glad you saw it- regardless of the winner.
Come on man, you're a GR guy! The streak can end next year!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
grindiangrad-80

I am definitely hoping for GR win. 😁
East Side Pioneer Guy

Here's a streak I'm fine with ending any time soon: Every dang team with bleach blonde hair.

It. Is. No. Longer. Original.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Jeez was that a brutal game 1, and game 2 isn't looking much better. At least these two have some skating ability.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Nice end to end goal for Cretin. Definite photo finish.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:02 pm Jeez was that a brutal game 1, and game 2 isn't looking much better. At least these two have some skating ability.
I know, right? All these upsets today show what a joke seeding the teams is.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Jeez have you ever seen a team work so hard for a goal?? Just glad Cretin got that one at the end of the second. Entertaining game.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:30 pm Here's a streak I'm fine with ending any time soon: Every dang team with bleach blonde hair.

It. Is. No. Longer. Original.
Agreed. Did facial hair peter out? 2016 GR had some impressive chin salad.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Great job of Cretin coming back. Looks to me like Cretin has the best celebration so far with the stick in the air and glove on top LOL. 8)
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Also right after the name call the I think kids behind the Cretin coach squirting the water bottles on each other's face. :lol:
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

CDH 100% deserved to win that game. They’ve completely dominated since Centennial took 3-0 lead in 1st period. Were it not for Centennial’s goalie, CDH would have won comfortably.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:27 pm CDH 100% deserved to win that game. They’ve completely dominated since Centennial took 3-0 lead in 1st period. Were it not for Centennial’s goalie, CDH would have won comfortably.
Centennial is one-line team. Not criticizing that, just stating fact. They got to tourney on that one line and power play success against Maple Grove. Was how they scored 3 goals in 1st period today as well—1st line capitalizing on power plays. But it was reason why after 1st period in this game, it was all CDH, too. Depth mattered in this one.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Whew just glad Cretin won.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Bears did beat GR @ GR. 2-0 though expect them to get pelted with shots.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

4th time I’ve seen CDH in the last month. Other than the loss to WBL they have looked really good. #24 for Cretin is really good at hockey.