Greatest Ever Upsets at State

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mitch Hawker
Site Admin

Greatest Ever Upsets at State

Post by Mitch Hawker »

Lee, Are you up for more research?

I enjoyed the section upsets topic and data.

My choice is a game from way before I had a high school hockey computerized ranking (1996-97?), but....

My vote goes to Rochester John Marshall over Edina for the title in1977.

HS version of Miracle on Ice, three years before the 1980 version!

They were the first (and still only!!!) southern Minnesota team to win the big school title.

I believe that Edina outshot JM ~45-15 and that does not include perhaps as many shots that were blocked. That shot total is similar but even more lopsided to the 1980 USA-USSR totals (38-16?) . Paul Butters was the HS Jim Craig.

Would be fun to see that game again. Does a full recording exist?
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Greatest Ever Upsets at State

Post by east hockey »

Mitch Hawker wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:28 pm Lee, Are you up for more research?

My choice is a game from way before I had a high school hockey computerized ranking (1996-97?), but....

They were the first (and still only!!!) southern Minnesota team to win the big school title.

I believe that Edina outshot JM ~45-15 and that does not include perhaps as many shots that were blocked. That shot total is similar but even more lopsided to the 1980 USA-USSR totals (38-16?) . Paul Butters was the HS Jim Craig.

I remember that game well. I was at a party and "imbibing" but I remember Scott Lecy's dance after he put the Rockets up 3-2 very late. His brother Todd salted it away with an empty netter. Shots were 39-14 in favor of Edina East.

I just finished some other research after seeing CDH only had six SOG through two periods. More on that later.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

east hockey wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:31 pm
Mitch Hawker wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:28 pm Lee, Are you up for more research?

I remember that game well. I was at a party and "imbibing" but I remember Scott Lecy's dance after he put the Rockets up 3-2 very late. His brother Todd salted it away with an empty netter. Shots were 39-14 in favor of Edina East.

I just finished some other research after seeing CDH only had six SOG through two periods. More on that later.

Lee
The research showed that CDH's final SOG tally of 11 was the lowest in a Class AA semi since Jefferson held Elk River to 9 SOG in 1993. That Jefferson team was kinda good, as I recall :mrgreen:

Edit: That was Tier I, not Class AA

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
OtterPuck

Post by OtterPuck »

The Hylanders from Columbia Heights, participating in the school's lone Tourney appearance in 1983 shocked the state of hockey defeating the defending State Champion Hornets of Edina in dramatic fashion 2-0 behind the superb goal tending of Reggie Miracle - that is still regarded today as one of the more memorable games in State Tournament history.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I still think a first time state team team from GR in 1972 getting a win against an undefeated (I think) defending state champ Edina was one of the greatest upsets ever.

I will always believe that was a game that really kickstarted a great run for Rapids.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

Every single seeded team at state lost in the quarterfinals. Crazy day
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

When I saw this topic, I recalled seeing a similar one from a few years ago. I posted about the 2007 then, and will do so again here.

That year, 3 of the 4 seeded teams lost, Roseau was the lone seeded team to make it out of the quarterfinals. Hill, a 3-seed, lost to Rochester Century 5-6 (OT) and I was driving at the time of the game. One announcer pulled a do you believe in mircles out, and the other guy was just inaudibly screaming in the background.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

OtterPuck wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:15 pm The Hylanders from Columbia Heights, participating in the school's lone Tourney appearance in 1983 shocked the state of hockey defeating the defending State Champion Hornets of Edina in dramatic fashion 2-0 behind the superb goal tending of Reggie Miracle - that is still regarded today as one of the more memorable games in State Tournament history.
Good call. They were good, but unexpected. They'd had success at Bantam and had some great players like Peterson & Palkowski (if memory serves).

Edina West was similarly favored in 1981 and lost to South St. Paul.
Edina would win state in 1982 & 1984, but the teams in 1981 & 1983 were considered as good. Roughly.
Shows teams still need things to fall their way.
Be kind. Rewind.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

OtterPuck wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:15 pm The Hylanders from Columbia Heights, participating in the school's lone Tourney appearance in 1983 shocked the state of hockey defeating the defending State Champion Hornets of Edina in dramatic fashion 2-0 behind the superb goal tending of Reggie Miracle - that is still regarded today as one of the more memorable games in State Tournament history.
With a name like Miracle, they HAD to win. It was dialed in for CH.
As Bob Hope would say, " thanks for the memory!"
OtterPuck

Post by OtterPuck »

O-townClown wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:42 am

Good call. They were good, but unexpected. They'd had success at Bantam and had some great players like Peterson & Palkowski (if memory serves).

Edina West was similarly favored in 1981 and lost to South St. Paul.
Edina would win state in 1982 & 1984, but the teams in 1981 & 1983 were considered as good. Roughly.
Shows teams still need things to fall their way.
That South Saint Paul team in 1981 was pretty good with Phil Housley and Doug Woog as coach. That goalie performance by Reggie Miracle was unbelievable in 1983 while upsetting Edina 2-0. Fun memories from the old Civic Center.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I recall that at the consolation game, the Edina West kids had a banner:

"We make not take state but we still eat cake"

What I found odd was that a lot of people were pulling for Edina West. They had been the better Edina for a few seasons, but Ike had always gotten the best of them in region play*. Then the next year they went back to hating those Edina West kids when they became just Edina kids.

*Back then, we had regions, and not sections.
Hockey Is For Everyone