Tourney Time

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

raidergrad72

Tourney Time

Post by raidergrad72 »

I'm just beginning to work my way through this book by Loren Nelson & Dave La Vaque. If you don't already have it, spend the $30 & get it from Barnes & Noble, Amazon & other places. The one I bought at the tournament is an updated one & covers up to the 2023 tournament. Full of, as it says, back stories from the tournaments.

Funniest story I've seen so far is from the '56 tournament championship game where Thief River Falls & International Falls played. During the game the play was in the Falls end when the Thief River goalie decided to mosey to the bench for a drink of water! The coach couldn't believe it to say the least!

The only gripe I have is when the tournament went to 2 class starting with the Tier 1 & 2, the tournament stories seemed to be mostly about the AA teams, with only the scores given of the A title games.
Probably sounding like a homer, but though mention was made of Greenway becoming the "darlings of the tournament" in the 2019 tourney, besides the score, that was about it. Maybe a short story could've been told about beating Section 7 powerhouse Hermantown in 2 ot to get here.
The same for other Class A teams.