Mike Randolph out at St. Thomas Academy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ClassAGuy

Mike Randolph out at St. Thomas Academy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Per Jess Myers
All indications are that legendary coach Mike Randolph is out at St. Thomas Academy. Nothing confirmed from the coach or from the school, but a STA spokesperson told The Rink Live to expect official communication in the next 24-48 hours.

STA will be on their 3rd coach since only 2020 next year

Is this the end of the road for Rand....
WestMetro

Re: Mike Randolph out at St. Thomas Academy

Post by WestMetro »

He be back .

A good opportunity will come up
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

WestMetro wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:51 pm He be back .

Interesting. Alex or Orono? Have either of those been filled yet?

Not surprised he left STA. I get the sense their boosters (parents) are a bit like East's. And that isn't being said in any kind of positive way.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

east hockey wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:56 pm
WestMetro wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:51 pm He be back .

Interesting. Alex or Orono? Have either of those been filled yet?

Not surprised he left STA. I get the sense their boosters (parents) are a bit like East's. And that isn't being said in any kind of positive way.

Lee
Rand in Class A!!! Would be amazing but dont see it. Hope he lands somewhere but not many great AA openings now.

Former University of Wisconsin assistant head coach, Mark Strobel, will be the STA new head coach.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Minnesota's winningest prep boys coach Mike Randolph explains why he's out at St. Thomas Academy
By Jess Myers

DULUTH – Minnesota's all-time winningest prep hockey coach Mike Randolph admits that he has utmost respect, and even a real friendship, with St. Thomas Academy athletic director Reed Hornung. Still, when Hornung made the drive of two-plus hours earlier this week to have an in-person conversation with Randolph, it was not just a chance for friends to catch up.

In an exclusive conversation with The Rink Live, Randolph confirmed the message Reed Hornung drove to a Canal Park coffee shop on the morning of Tuesday, April 30, to deliver news that Randolph will not be offered a renewal of his contract to coach the STA boys’ hockey team for a fourth season, meaning his time behind the bench with the Cadets is done.

“I respect him, that he did it face-to-face,” Randolph said of his meeting with Hornung. “My next question was ‘why?’ because it came out of nowhere. He said, ‘oh, just little reasons,’ and I asked, ‘what little reasons?’”

Randolph, who led the Cadets to the Section 3AA championship game last season, is tied with former Rochester Mayo head coach Lorne Grosso with 707 career wins. Randolph's chance to own the record outright ended with a 3-1 loss to Cretin-Derham Hall.

According to Randolph, the athletic director laid out three primary reasons for the Cadets’ decision to change coaches, after the former Duluth East coach was 49-30-3 during his three seasons at STA, a private school based in Mendota Heights:

- Randolph missed the team’s year-end banquet after a spring snowstorm stranded him in Duluth.
- Randolph was not visible enough at the school and did not maintain a permanent residence in the Twin Cities.
- There were complaints about the Cadets’ style of play with Randolph at the helm.

Randolph admitted regret at missing the team banquet.

“There was a snow storm and I was stuck on my street and couldn’t get off my street,” the coach recalled. “(Duluth) got it a lot worse than you guys got it (in the metro area) and I couldn’t drive down, so what I did is I gave my speech to my assistant coach Tom Klein and he read my speech and my recognition of the team and the seniors and awards, and he did a heck of a job. I never heard any kind of negative feedback, so I’m sorry I didn’t show up to the banquet.”

To the complaint about visibility at the school, Randolph freely admits that his year-round home is in Duluth. His first year with the Cadets, as co-head coach, he lived part-time with family in the Twin Cities. The past two winters he rented an apartment in Eagan, less than 10 minutes from the STA ice arena.

“I’ve been married for 50 years and I’ve coached 42 of them, and the reason it’s been able to work is my wife understands my passion and I understand her passion,” Randolph said. “She’s got passions that take place in Duluth, she loves our home, she loves Duluth, and we’re not going to move down there. So if that’s a reason to get rid of me, I get it, but we’re not moving down.”

The Cadets’ style of play, and the style of play on all his teams as a successful prep coach in five separate decades, is determined by the players on the ice, not by the guy behind the bench.

“I said my style of play is based on the talent we have, the team we have and the type of players we have,” Randolph recalled. “That’s the way I’ve done it all the time, for a long time.”

Randolph, 72, took over as head coach at Duluth East in 1988 and led the Greyhounds to a pair of state titles and 18 state tournament trips over 32 years there, stepping down amid some controversy in 2021. With STA he was co-head coach alongside Trent Eigner for one season, then the sole head coach the past two seasons, falling to Cretin-Derham Hall in the section playoffs both years. Via a 5-1 win by the Cadets over Tartan in January, Randolph became just the third prep coach in Minnesota hockey history to record 700 career wins.

He said he is open to coach again, with the important caveat that he will continue to live in Duluth full time. With reports surfacing that St. Thomas Academy will soon announce Mark Strobel as their next head hockey coach, Randolph said it appears the effort to replace him has been on-going for some time.

“I was kind of frustrated by the lack of real reasons to get rid of me. But now that I see the story come together, obviously they had Mark Strobel on their radar a while ago,” Randolph said. “It’s kind of frustrating that they weren’t honest and said, ‘Hey, we’ve got a chance to get somebody that we really like, and we’re going to let you go.’ Just be honest and upfront. I have nothing against Mark Strobel. I coached his kid at St. Thomas Academy, so there’s a connection there.”

Still, Randolph walks away from his time at STA with a sense of pride about the work he did, and a respect for the people there.

“I sacrificed a lot. I put a lot of miles on. I rented (an apartment) and did a lot of things to try to make it work,” he said. “I’m happy I had three years there. They were three great years and unfortunately it’s come to an end.”
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Cold. He's right though. The real reason was they found the next coach. STA is going to learn that changing coaches every 3 years is not a recipe for success.
xy

Post by xy »

I think this was done in kind of a lousy way and look upon pretty much everything St. Thomas Academy does with disfavor. But even though standing alone this probably wouldn't justify letting him go. . . the idea that having a coach live over two hours away is a problem strikes me as somewhat reasonable. In this day and age, and at a place like that, a head coach really is expected to have more presence and involvement during the off-season months than he would have been able to offer given his living arrangement.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

xy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:45 am I think this was done in kind of a lousy way and look upon pretty much everything St. Thomas Academy does with disfavor. But even though standing alone this probably wouldn't justify letting him go. . . the idea that having a coach live over two hours away is a problem strikes me as somewhat reasonable. In this day and age, and at a place like that, a head coach really is expected to have more presence and involvement during the off-season months than he would have been able to offer given his living arrangement.
I mean maybe he wasn’t as visible as someone who were more local but Coach said he had an apartment so what more outside of moving down full time could’ve he done? Sounds to me like one of those performance plan folks at work get put on to track and document some bogus reason for canning you. Same thing happened to Trent and the same thing will happen once Johnny’s Dad gets mad his kid isn’t rolling 8 minute shifts.
xy

Post by xy »

Not at all discounting the possibility that that was a trumped-up reason . . . but the sense I got from that article was that the apartment is probably only a November-March thing and he isn't spending much time in the cities the rest of the year. Again I don't at all think this standing alone would justify letting him go, just that it might be a thing that one could reasonably wonder about.

Although I'd also note that using his missing a banquet a snowstorm kept him from as another stated justification brings STA's "reasonableness" into question, to say the least.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Mike Randolph calls reasons for losing St. Thomas Academy boys hockey coaching job 'lame excuses'
By David La Vaque Star Tribune

Mike Randolph, a state champion as a boys hockey coach and a coaching Hall of Famer, is between jobs after St. Thomas Academy chose not to renew his one-year contract for the 2024-25 season.

"I'll be coaching somewhere next year," Randolph said Thursday. "I'm open to a head coaching job anywhere, whether it's single-A or double-A."

St. Thomas Academy moved to replace him Thursday, announcing the hiring of former Wisconsin player Mark Strobel.

Randolph, 72, ended last season, his third with the Cadets, tied with Lorne Grosso for the most boys hockey victories in Minnesota history at 707. The Cadets had a chance to get him to 708, but they lost the Class 2A, Section 2 final 3-1 to Cretin-Derham Hall.

"The record doesn't mean anything," Randolph said. "I love going to the rink and making it a classroom where I not only teach the game but also teach young men about life."

Randolph called St. Thomas Academy activities director Reed Hornung "the best AD I've ever had" and cited Hornung's drive to a Duluth-area coffee shop on April 30 for a face-to-face meeting to discuss Randolph's ouster as an example of why "we'll be friends forever." However, Randolph said, he believed Hornung was just a messenger.

"I'm not sure he is able to do the job he does so well," Randolph said. "That's because that school is run by a board and a headmaster, and the headmaster just stamped the board's decision."

Hornung listed what Randolph called "lame excuses," including Randolph's lack of a presence at the Mendota Heights private school. Randolph kept a full-time residence in Duluth, though he rented an apartment in Eagan, less than 10 minutes from the Cadets' on-campus ice arena. Hornung also cited Randolph's failure to attend the season-ending banquet because of a snowstorm in Duluth. Randolph sent his congratulations through an assistant coach.

"The only regret I have is not knowing up front about what was really going on," Randolph said. "But [Hornung] might not have known what was going on."

As word traveled this week, Randolph was told of behind-the-scenes conversations with prospective successors, including Strobel.

"The coach is getting handed a pretty good roster," Randolph said "I only really played two seniors."

After a 13-13-1 first season, Randolph wound up 49-30-3 with the Cadets. He stacked up victories in 32 years as coach at Duluth East before joining the Cadets, leading the Greyhounds to the state tournament 18 times and winning championships in 1995 and 1998. He left there in 2021, resigning because of what he called "parental pressure." Randolph was inducted into the Minnesota State High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2018.

Randolph became associate head coach at St. Thomas Academy in 2021-22, supporting head coach Trent Eigner for one season before becoming his replacement.

"I had an unbelievable amount of support when I started here," Randolph said. "But after that first season, the honeymoon ended."

Strobel, the Cadets' new coach, played for Hill-Murray in high school and went on to Wisconsin, where he finished in 1995. He's a former assistant coach for Wisconsin, Minnesota Duluth, Omaha and Colorado College. He also worked for the USHL's Twin Cities Vulcans.

"We are excited to welcome Coach Strobel to the St. Thomas Academy community," school President Brian Ragatz said. "He has a championship pedigree and next-level experience, which will bolster our hockey program and benefit our student-athletes, particularly those with aspirations to compete beyond high school."
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

ClassAGuy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:24 pm Mike Randolph calls reasons for losing St. Thomas Academy boys hockey coaching job 'lame excuses'
By David La Vaque Star Tribune

Mike Randolph, a state champion as a boys hockey coach and a coaching Hall of Famer, is between jobs after St. Thomas Academy chose not to renew his one-year contract for the 2024-25 season.

"I'll be coaching somewhere next year," Randolph said Thursday. "I'm open to a head coaching job anywhere, whether it's single-A or double-A."

St. Thomas Academy moved to replace him Thursday, announcing the hiring of former Wisconsin player Mark Strobel.

Randolph, 72, ended last season, his third with the Cadets, tied with Lorne Grosso for the most boys hockey victories in Minnesota history at 707. The Cadets had a chance to get him to 708, but they lost the Class 2A, Section 2 final 3-1 to Cretin-Derham Hall.

"The record doesn't mean anything," Randolph said. "I love going to the rink and making it a classroom where I not only teach the game but also teach young men about life."

Randolph called St. Thomas Academy activities director Reed Hornung "the best AD I've ever had" and cited Hornung's drive to a Duluth-area coffee shop on April 30 for a face-to-face meeting to discuss Randolph's ouster as an example of why "we'll be friends forever." However, Randolph said, he believed Hornung was just a messenger.

"I'm not sure he is able to do the job he does so well," Randolph said. "That's because that school is run by a board and a headmaster, and the headmaster just stamped the board's decision."

Hornung listed what Randolph called "lame excuses," including Randolph's lack of a presence at the Mendota Heights private school. Randolph kept a full-time residence in Duluth, though he rented an apartment in Eagan, less than 10 minutes from the Cadets' on-campus ice arena. Hornung also cited Randolph's failure to attend the season-ending banquet because of a snowstorm in Duluth. Randolph sent his congratulations through an assistant coach.

"The only regret I have is not knowing up front about what was really going on," Randolph said. "But [Hornung] might not have known what was going on."

As word traveled this week, Randolph was told of behind-the-scenes conversations with prospective successors, including Strobel.

"The coach is getting handed a pretty good roster," Randolph said "I only really played two seniors."

After a 13-13-1 first season, Randolph wound up 49-30-3 with the Cadets. He stacked up victories in 32 years as coach at Duluth East before joining the Cadets, leading the Greyhounds to the state tournament 18 times and winning championships in 1995 and 1998. He left there in 2021, resigning because of what he called "parental pressure." Randolph was inducted into the Minnesota State High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2018.

Randolph became associate head coach at St. Thomas Academy in 2021-22, supporting head coach Trent Eigner for one season before becoming his replacement.

"I had an unbelievable amount of support when I started here," Randolph said. "But after that first season, the honeymoon ended."

Strobel, the Cadets' new coach, played for Hill-Murray in high school and went on to Wisconsin, where he finished in 1995. He's a former assistant coach for Wisconsin, Minnesota Duluth, Omaha and Colorado College. He also worked for the USHL's Twin Cities Vulcans.

"We are excited to welcome Coach Strobel to the St. Thomas Academy community," school President Brian Ragatz said. "He has a championship pedigree and next-level experience, which will bolster our hockey program and benefit our student-athletes, particularly those with aspirations to compete beyond high school."
Rand to Hibbing!! Lets see this happen!!
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

Too Bad the Hermantown role isn't open. He could go there and move the club up to AA :lol:

It's a rainy Thursday and we need a bit of humor today in this dreary day
headsupsticksdown

Cookster wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:34 pm Too Bad the Hermantown role isn't open. He could go there and move the club up to AA :lol:

It's a rainy Thursday and we need a bit of humor today in this dreary day
I like Jago and Johnson, but how safe are their jobs at this point? You can bet the folks at Marshall are also in the
mix too. An interesting piece would have Walters going back to his alma matter and Rand at CEC. How about that? 8)
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

I guess the knuckleheads at St. Thomas didn’t realize that the coach they hired lived in Duluth.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

AD's and school boards simply fold when it comes to todays parents running the show. Administrators know conflict is the one thing that may disrupt their cozy chair/job title .

Yes St Thomas got a great replacement.

But didn't Randolph get the job in a very similar fashion (parents whispering in the AD/Boards ear)? So in a lot of ways it's just the circle of life when it comes to what to expect today.

What I do predict is this.....3 out of 4 parents who helped make this happen will be unhappy with the coach they just brought in. It may take a year or so for them to want him out...Oh who am I kidding... Those 3 out 4 will probably be unhappy after the first game
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

Best of luck to Mike but never understood the hire in the first place given his age and where he was living. Coaches should be around their schools for summer camps etc. I think it is too easy for outsiders to blame this on parents because they don't know what they are talking about. I had two sons play for STA and I can say parents were not involved with who played and who didn't. Certainly parents have opinions as in all schools but those opinions never played into playing times. I would suspect the people saying its about parents whispering in to Ad?/Boards have no idea and just don't like STA
headsupsticksdown

bauerman wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:34 am Best of luck to Mike but never understood the hire in the first place given his age and where he was living. Coaches should be around their schools for summer camps etc. I think it is too easy for outsiders to blame this on parents because they don't know what they are talking about. I had two sons play for STA and I can say parents were not involved with who played and who didn't. Certainly parents have opinions as in all schools but those opinions never played into playing times. I would suspect the people saying its about parents whispering in to Ad?/Boards have no idea and just don't like STA
With all do respect, this happens 24/7 with direct emails, texts and calls to the AD and or someone of influence other than the HC. Randolph was very clear in saying he “played who was available” not necessarily based on seniority or anything else; he had a fairly young team. Playing time aside, are you saying that alumni and or parents weren’t pushing for a change in the background? There are several potential reasons listed here and provided by Randolph himself, but the point is—you knew this going in so why the change of heart? “Their guy” became available and in with the new so to speak. Seems like tradition at STA…
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

I'm saying people are talking without any knowledge because all of a sudden there was coaching change--They do not know it was because it because of of parents or alumni. As for a STA tradition the Vannelli's were there for years. Best of luck to Mike he did an admirable job but I suspect this was all and all an upgrade for STA
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

It remains to be seen but you have your head in the sand if you think this is an upgrade over Mike Randolph.