Moorhead Transfers

RINKBOARDAD

Moorhead Transfers

Post by RINKBOARDAD » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:45 am

There is an article in the Fargo Foolem' (sic) today on Moorhead's transfer students. It's an OK article, but really doesn't dig very deep into the subject, probably just deep enough to generate a bunch of uninformed letters to the editor. Just looking for other's thoughts....... <p></p><i></i>

HIGHoHOCKEY

Re: Moorhead Transfers

Post by HIGHoHOCKEY » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:20 am

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index. ... ion=sports" target="top">www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id= ... <!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>

RaisenWarriors

Post by RaisenWarriors » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:02 am

I was glad to see mention that the town doesn't like to see skaters from there youth program lose spots to people who move in...... Yes I live in Warroad and no I was not raised here, moved here for a job.....A lot of people in the town of Warroad love to watch great hockey games of all ages....But this article states the player decided to move to better his chances of exposure....if that works out for him then it was a success and another good hockey player gets an opportunity to succeed. But in Warroad I have seen players who have dreamed of putting on the Black and Gold to represent there town and it's strong hockey tradiation lose there chances due to people moving in for more exposure.... <br>Is is wrong for player to move somewhere to get more exposure????<br><br>As the coach stated they still have to tryout just like everyone else. <p></p><i></i>

Seniornuts

Post by Seniornuts » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:07 am

Whats wrong with open enrollement?? You know we all can do it if we want its not a hidden thing of the past, its the present, and will probably be the future. Look into it as the best thing that ever happened to these kids seeking a dream and fullfilling it. <p></p><i></i>

RaisenWarriors

Post by RaisenWarriors » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:16 am

__Quote??______________________________Whats wrong with open enrollement??<br>______________________________________<br><br>Ask the parents who have driven all over the state for all the years of youth. Do you think they want to see little johnny not get his chance..... Sure I want to see the "team" be great and have it's chances to win state, but what about the <br>"Look into it as the best thing that ever happened to these kids seeking a dream and fullfilling it. " that only applies to the ones who moved in not the ones already there. <p></p><i></i>

RINKBOARDAD

Post by RINKBOARDAD » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:49 am

I know one Mhd kid who decided to skate JG this year rather than ride the pine. It doesn't make him less of a competetor, nor does he look at the transfer kids as the reason he would be bumped down. " Everyone still gets a tryout", to quote liberally. Transfers are not a bad thing for anyone, in my opinion, unless a QUALITY senior is getting bumped. Even then he could skate JG and get some exposure. Juniors and Sophs getting bumped by a transfer always have next year. <p></p><i></i>

rustyblade

Post by rustyblade » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:13 am

Those that think there is always next year are really misinformed. Whether you are a sophomore, junior or senior, missing on an opportunity to play for your "home" team in the state tournament and probably winning it, does not come every year.<br> Open enrollment is here, no denying that. An opportunity to "better oneself" at the expense of another is not the intent of the law. True, they all must try out, and all coaches can only chose the best players that are vying for positions no matter how they arrived at the school. <br> A players dream of wearing his schools colors and fighting for a state tourney berth, being denied, not through his failure but through one or more players open enrolling and benefiting from the program that those kids helped develop just does not agree with me.<br> A system which is bad for many loyal youth players and good for whimsical transfers is not a good system at all.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

RINKBOARDAD

Post by RINKBOARDAD » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:23 am

Well said. I stand corrected. <p></p><i></i>

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:29 am

But why then should a very talented player HAVE to play for a team with kids who are just happy to be a varsity player and not want to be the BEST player they can. I see that alot in youth hockey at your local associations, and that transfers to high school. We have approximately 5 of 13 bantam players on our A squad who do any type of off season training, besides a non checking spring league. If a talented kid can get some exposure and the opporitunity to play with "like minded" players (those who strive to be the best they can be), why should they be denied because of geography? That's what you end up getting at the AAA level, like minded players.<br> <p></p><i></i>

scottparker

Transfers bumping players

Post by scottparker » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:37 am

I agree with what you've said; to a point. Many times the kids who lose out are the ones that didn't do anything to improve. Let's face it, in most programs there are the parents that will NOT do anything in the off-season for little Jonny, but they expect them to have a spot waiting for them when they're seniors. If the kids in the school worked hard, they would have their spots waiting for them. Families move, and kids transfer because of that. Nobody should be guraranteed a spot just because they've lived there. It takes more than good attendance to get good grades, and it takes more than just showing up during the season to earn a spot.<br><br>Whew, sorry for the rant..<br> <p></p><i></i>

rustyblade

Post by rustyblade » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:40 am

Before open enrollment, that is exactly what the "good" players had to do, stay home and play with "inferior" players. Didn't seem to hurt too many careers back then! <p></p><i></i>

joshdog

Re: AAA

Post by joshdog » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:41 am

Then leave the state where high school hockey is a major institution ( and an awesome one at that), and go play AAA which is what the rest of USA hockey is doing. No crowds, no cheerleader's, no band, no civic pride and still only about .01% are going to play anywhere after graduation.There were more fan's at the local high school game the other night then most USHL games draw. <p></p><i></i>

dog36

Post by dog36 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:44 am

I like what rustyblade said; and I'll take it a step further.<br><br>How many times has the tranfer's mom worked consessions stand during youth tournaments? How many taco feeds have they helped out at? How many times did the transfer kids dad help flood the local rink? <br><br> Now, I'm pretty much NEVER an advocate for whiney parents or "Little Johnnies", but I do believe the ones (players and parents) who've worked their butts of for the better part of ten years to make their program better only to be bumped out of a spot in the end, do have a legit gripe. <p></p><i></i>

RLStars

Re: AAA

Post by RLStars » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:47 am

Ther's no doubt that Minnesota High School hockey is some of the best in the country, and wouldn't think about leaving it. I was referring to AAA off season teams, like the Blades, Lightning, Icemen etc. That's what my son likes about it, the oppritunity to play on a team of kids who want to excel, not just play. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p074.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... RLStars</A> at: 1/27/05 11:57 am<br></i>

longrebound

Post by longrebound » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:55 am

Rustyblade -- I think you make some good points and my view is very close to yours on this subject, but, your reference to kids' dreams being dashed occurs whether the transfer came via open enrollment or their parents moved due to a job change. It seems a little more sinister with open enrollment but the result for the kid who gets cut is the same. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:10 pm

This is a very complicated topic.<br><br>The arguments are good.<br><br>Let's throw some twists into it.<br><br>What about the kids that play B or C hockey - where Mom is working the penalty box every game and Dad sells tickets at the tourney etc.... Their little Johnny never gets to wear the school colors even though he never misses a practice, shoots pucks all summer, lifts weights, studies the game ....... but just is not that good.<br><br>But now Big Johnny transfers to Moorhead and what do you know a spot opens up on Hometown Varsity and little Johnny all of a sudden gets to play varsity hockey.<br><br>I am not for open enrollment because it does make things difficult for everyone and makes the big programs even stronger, but how do you stop it. The kid has the right to do it and if they take it away for SPORTS how do you not take it away for THEATER or MUSIC - where is the line drawn?<br><br>And if a kid really wants to play hockey in Moorhead (or wherever) there were ways to accomplish it before open enrollment and there will be ways to do it if they close the door.<br><br>Maybe we should just cheer for good hockey, hope our favorite team does well, maybe even put in some volunteer time to help the kids improve, and enjoy the fact that we still have the greatest high school competition of the greatest sport. Some day it might be gone. <p></p><i></i>

gunslinger

Well Said!

Post by gunslinger » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:17 pm

APPLAUSE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!<br><br>Very well said..... We can bitch all we want, the fact is we have a good product! lets enjoy it!<br><br>-The Slinger <p></p><i></i>

porhockfan

Post by porhockfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:43 pm

This is a complicated topic. Having a child that we open enrolled into a school with a better athletic (hockey) program, I can see both sides of this scenario. The structure of MN hockey forces the situation. <br><br>Here's the deal, if a player is playing in a youth hockey association that does not have an A team, MAHA does NOT allow that player to play in another organization. This is for the sole purpose of maintaining community hockey. That's great for MOST people - but if you live in a community that plays B1/B2 hockey. Is that fair to the top end players? How will they develop if they're "playing down". Answer -They don't! <br><br>Also it's deeper than that. For the most part, opportunities are not extended to players not on an A team. (There's the occasional exception) A player on a B2 team wouldn't even be given the opportunity to try out for Select 15,16,17.<br><br>Then what if you live in a community that has no high school hockey, or JV at the best? What does that player do then? He's forced to open enroll elsewhere. <br><br>As parents we did our volunteer time - we contribute to whatever organization our child is playing for.<br><br>This is a complicated issue, and it's not an easy decision. <p></p><i></i>

ezpuck

Post by ezpuck » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:49 pm

Often the discussion about open enrollment seems to be focused on the big programs and the super star players but porhockfan brings out some very good points about issues in small programs. A player may not be a superstar but a solid player looking to be part of a program that doesn't really exist at their home high school. Maybe he's not looking for "exposure" but having a rewarding high school hockey experience.<br> I've said it before, the factors associated with open enrollement are highly specific to each situation. <p></p><i></i>

nollafo

Re: Well Said!

Post by nollafo » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:55 pm

great topic and posts. i'm curious what you think of this hypothetical scenario. centennial won state last year with local kids that were in the system from the initiation program on up. let's pretend they didn't win last year and since they could meet moorhead in the championship this year again let's say they do and lose a close one in O/T with a goal by one of moorheads transfers. yes...moorhead wins state and gets what they want/deserve what have you. now, as far as the team/town/state or fans of the game. is it legit or tainted in any way? sure, they could have won with no transfers or whatever. this is why i mentioned hypothetical. i'm curious what others think. oh yea.... they play each other this weekend and a coach bus is going up with parents etc....should be a great game. <p></p><i></i>

RLStars

Re: Hypothetical

Post by RLStars » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:07 pm

I'd say no. Centennial has an awesome youth program that I'm sure is already pulling kids from the outside into it. Parents who live nearby the school lines will leave one youth association boundary for another just as easily as they would at high school. <p></p><i></i>

longrebound

Post by longrebound » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:15 pm

Or do they say "Boy I wish that Ryan Flynn wouldn't have been selfish and gone to the NTDP to better himself at the expense of the team. He should have been thinking of all of us and our parents and how he might cost us a state championship".<br><br>Actually, that is tongue in cheek, but why is there less outrage when a kid goes to Ann Arbor or the USHL to "better himself". <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p074.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... rebound</A> at: 1/27/05 1:18 pm<br></i>

rustyblade

Post by rustyblade » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:25 pm

The Moorhead hockey community did a fantastic job of structuring their program into one of the best in the state. The players they have developed have won titles from <br>Peewees to Bantams and are hoping to do so with their high school team soon. The players that got "bumped" because of open enrollment are not going to be part of it if they win the title this year. That is where hard feelings can come into play. <br>Now on the other side, had Brian Lee or other talented players left early for Juniors or other options, that too, would have caused some stressful feeling among the hockey community of Moorhead. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p074.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... tyblade</A> at: 1/27/05 1:26 pm<br></i>

elliott70

Moorhead

Post by elliott70 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:31 pm

I believe all of Moorhead will celebrate in March if Moorhead were to win.<br><br>I mean when Moorhead wins - the Train keeps a plowin'! <p></p><i></i>

RINKBOARDAD

Re: Moorhead

Post by RINKBOARDAD » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:47 pm

Agree with "enjoy great hockey and volunteer" at whatever program or level. We had a kid make a brief stop in our SQ program this year, after skating in Montana and (I think) Roseau last year. The parents have moved their kid to another program already this year, claiming ours did not spotlight thier son or teach him enough. Maybe this post belongs on the Youth site, but I think it is relevant to the discussion. <p></p><i></i>