Section 3AA 2006-2007

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win section 3AA?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:24 am

Hill-Murray
44%
Centennial
18%
White Bear Lake
10%
Roseville
23%
North St. Paul
No votes
Stillwater
No votes
Irondale
5%
Mounds View
No votes

Total votes: 39

boblee

Section 3AA 2006-2007

Post by boblee »

Last year's winner: Hill-Murray
carpenterguy

3AA

Post by carpenterguy »

Centennial
Sparlimb

Centennial

Post by Sparlimb »

Is anyone thinking Centennial was a one year wonder? They have had some very competitive teams the last couple of years but can't seem to win the section again. And it doesn't appear like they have a killer team on the horizon. They could easily be the #4 seed going into sections next spring.
carpenterguy

Hardly

Post by carpenterguy »

Hardly a one year wonder!

Success at the youth level will pay off even though privates and open enrollment don't make it certain.

Pee Wee A's: 7 out of the past 8 years in the State Tourney

2005 State Champs

Bantam A's: 2001 State Champs
2003 Runner Ups
2005 Runner Ups
2006 State Champs

Add in a couple of VFW titles and they are hardly a one year wonder. Back in the day when we didn't worry about movement they would dominate at the high school level. From the sounds of it these kids are staying and if Juniors and Team USA can stay away they are going to be a force for years.
Sparlimb

Carpenterguy

Post by Sparlimb »

You've hit on the exact issue. If they got players that are all that, Juniors and Team USA will come calling. If they have grinders, they'll stay home, be in the mix every year but they won't dominate.
Neutron 14

Sparlimb

Post by Neutron 14 »

Of course Centennial won't dominate 3AA. Neither will WBL. Only Hill has the means to retool every year, and provide the caliber of players neccessary to dominate this very competative section. You very possibly are correct with a 4 seed for Centennial this year, but they will be competative. I'm not sure that qualifies as a "one year wonder". Maybe your expectations were higher than anyone elses Sparlimb....
Sparlimb

Expectations

Post by Sparlimb »

All I would say is that Centennial had a slow rise to becoming a power. During the 90's, they would amass a really nice record and then would be outclassed come sections. Obviously that has changed. There is no doubt they are in the mix to win the section championships every year. I just expected, with how good they were the year they won it, that we'd be seeing them go to state a couple more times in a short period of time. Not really an expectation, just an observation. So my question is more whether fans of Centennial feel disappointed they haven't looked better against WBL two years in a row or if they feel they are right where they should be?
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

As you well know Sparlimb, going to state in 3AA isn't a given for any team, in any year. Losing to WB is never an embarrassment, unless its the first round at State, or your a Hill fan. :lol: I haven't heard of anyone looking for Eric's head though. I know I'd be more upset losing to some cake-eating, coon-skin cap wearing, private.... :mrgreen:
Sparlimb

Neutron

Post by Sparlimb »

I'd have rather played Centennial in the section finals last year, even as sweet as the win was. I don't need any more 3 ot WBL Hill games. Seen enough in my time. I'm much more for winning or losing 7-1.
speedkills

Post by speedkills »

I'd say next year is Roseville's year.........if one takes a look at rosters from last year and who's returning.........well....they have a bunch of high end seasoned varsity players (Dorr & Wieck for starters) with a terrific coaching staff and will be very, very tough.............would love to hear what anyone else thinks
drop the puck.....
nolookpassguy

Post by nolookpassguy »

I think Roseville will be the 4th best team in this section. Hill/WB/Cent will continue to be the 3 best teams. This doesn't mean Roseville won't be able to win the section, just that history shows this section belongs to the other three.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

speedkills wrote:I'd say next year is Roseville's.............would love to hear what anyone else thinks
I agree that Roseville will be strong next year. Much tougher than White Bear probably will be.