Section 7AA 2006-2007

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win section 7AA?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:31 am

Duluth East
30%
Grand Rapids
27%
Elk River
14%
Cloquet
17%
Brainerd
2%
Forest Lake
2%
Andover
9%
Cambridge
No votes

Total votes: 64

boblee

Section 7AA 2006-2007

Post by boblee » Mon May 15, 2006 11:31 am

Last year's winner: Grand Rapids

06 - 07 predicitons

Post by guest » Thu May 18, 2006 5:25 pm

1. Duluth East

2. Grand Rapids

3. Cloquet

4. Andover

5. Elk River

6. Brainerd

7. Forest Lake

8. Cambridge

9. St. Francis

gr19

7AA

Post by gr19 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:51 am

Rapids, East, and CEC will all be loaded next year. Elk River will come back with a solid pair of D and a great goalie. I really don't see anyone other than these four teams being in the semi-finals. Brainerd will have a good goalie but will they be able to score at all? Forest Lake is a big Q. Here's an early seed prediction along with records.

1. Grand Rapids 22-3
2. Cloquet 21-4
3. Duluth East 19-6
4. Elk River 19-6
5. Forest Lake 14-11
6. Brainerd 9-16
7. Andover 17-8
8. St. Francis 15-10
9. Cambridge 14-11

betweenthepipes

section 7 next year

Post by betweenthepipes » Fri May 19, 2006 12:23 pm

Elk River will be tough again next year and i expect them to probebly be in the 2 spot behind a loaded East team. To go along with their 2 solid D and solid goalie, they will also be adding 2 fowards that I know of, 1 from Princeton and 1 from St. Micheal. Both of those kids will add depth to their team and will probebly be either on 1st or 2nd line. I thought I also heard of a couple more players, but can't remember. Mellem from Andover possibly??? I could see Forest Lake, Andover, and St. Francis all competing for the bottom seed next year. Rumor has it that Schwartz will be leaving next year and if he does so then I'll put St. Francis as the front runner for the 9 seed. Cambridge will I could see slip in the 5 spot with their offensive power next year. Their whole first line (total over 170 points last year) should return (if Chumley doesn't leave for Juniors or Elk River) and will be able to compete with any other teams first line in this section. Also all but 1 defense will return and they will have and excellent goalie who has been under the radar because of Goldsmith, but look for him to put up the same numbers if not better next year. Brainerd lost almost their whole team, but had a couple good sophomores that will need to step up and fill that hole next year along with their goalie Snider. And for Cloquet they will need to find some Defense to go along with Ellingson and what should be a good first line next year.

boblee

Grand Rapids

Post by boblee » Fri May 19, 2006 12:35 pm

Grand Rapids returns Patrick White and Zach Morse on offense. Along with the Robby Roy line (Makinen, Roy, Sparen). The defense will be strong next year. Stejskal, Kosak, and Cone all return. Sam Rendle will step up and help the defensive corps. Matt Alstad will most likely move back to "d" as well. Reidar Jensen will return between the pipes for Rapids. I see very little drop of coming this season. I look at a 1-3 seed for the Thunderhawks. Elk River and Duluth East will hold the other two slots. 4-6 will be Cloquet, Forest Lake, and Cambridge. 7 will be Brainerd. 8-9 is a toss up between Andover and St. Francis.

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:41 pm

East
GR
Cloquet
ER
Brainerd
The Rest
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

Stateofhcky76

7AA

Post by Stateofhcky76 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:21 pm

ER:

Looks good, except you should replace Brainerd with Andover or Forest Lake. Andover has a good returning goalie, with a solid 1st line. Forest Lake has a great returning 1st line, with 2 good Dmen.

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:30 am

I thought that Andover would step it up last year, but they flopped on me. So maybe if I don't call them this year, they will get it goin'.

8)
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

gr19

recruits

Post by gr19 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:06 pm

So who is transfering to Duluth East this year?

betweenthepipes

7AA

Post by betweenthepipes » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:41 am

I don't see how you can say Andover has a good returning first line. They lost their leading scorer who had a point in 58% of their goals. Along with that they lose another first liner to graduation and the other player on first line is transfering to Andover. All the other players that come back will have a combined total of 19 goals last year. They will struggle on offense next year to say the least, especially playing in their tough conference. Their goalie is good, but still unproven posting a .887 save percentage last season. Forest Lake won't have much except for Fogerty, but he cant do it all himself. I would put Cambridge ahead of Brainerd, Forest Lake, and Andover next year. They return their whole first line which pretty much was their whole scoring last year and combined for 171 points and will be one of the best lines in the section. Size could be their biggest problem next year especially on defense.

havefun09

Post by havefun09 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:44 pm

FOREST LAKE ALLL THE WAY. :D

bears_hockey43

grand rapids

Post by bears_hockey43 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:56 pm

i think grand rapids will take it. i think the most northern teams should get a shot now and keep all the damn private schools outta the championship

STC18

7AA

Post by STC18 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:27 am

GR will tkae 7AA again in 06-07. Theyre returning White and Morse along with a full line of forwards from alst year and should have some good play in the defensive end.

gomnhky

Post by gomnhky » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:50 pm

I wouldn't count Cloquet or Duluth East out. After watching many of the games at Model Camp this past week, it seems Cloquet will have one of, if not the best forward in the state, returning and clearly the best goalie. Not sure what else they have returning, but a good goalie can certainly win you a lot of games and Tyler Johnson will certainly score more than his fair share of goals. Duluth East looks to have a lot of good young talent returning and should have pretty good depth.

gr19

7AA

Post by gr19 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:49 pm

I think you can pretty much pick one out of a hat between East, ER, GR, and CEC. Though, some teams seem to have others numbers. I like Rapids against ER and CEC. Rapids has something to prove against East. GR took 2nd in state, but let's see it going through the Hounds on the way to state. Other than another state title, I'd like to see GR beat East in Sections. This should be the highest quality of hockey we've seen in 7AA in a long time. Last season was very good, but most of the talent is back and better. Everone talks about Ellingson being the best goalie, but I think ER's Seibert is better. Really all 4 top goalies are tough when they show up ready.

Jack Attack

06-07

Post by Jack Attack » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:17 pm

CEC, DE, and GR will be the top three teams this season. They all have alot of returning varsity players and all three should be extremely solid.

CEC is lacking in defensmen with the loss of Olson, Johnson, and Vichorek. However they only lost 2 forwards. Tyler Johnson should have an outstanding season as well as Reid Ellingson. look for big improvement and scoring from players such as Jokinen, Potswald, Lundquist, Roe, Allen, Brown, and Hatch. This years CEC team will be a Hard hitting and determined team.

GR lost a few good player but i see big players in Morse, Jensen, and obviosuly White.

DE should be Solid as well with Turnbull, Fleirity, Leis, and Johnson.

CEC looks like the best of the three though, expect big things from the Jacks this season.
Sincerely,
Jack

Metrohockeyscout505

Cambridge

Post by Metrohockeyscout505 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:30 am

Just heard a rumor that Garet Chumley may after all be transferring out of Cambridge. I have heard that he may be leaving for juniors or Elk River. Does any one know anything about what he is doing thats close to him?

RockstarX2

Post by RockstarX2 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:20 am

pretty sure GC will stay in cambridge

Steve

Section 7aa

Post by Steve » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:22 pm

It feels so great to have the season right around the corner. Just to throw my opinion in.
1. D. EAST
2. CEC
3. Elk River
4. GR
5-8 who cares.

The thing is East will go the distance this year. Cloquet one player. Great if you are playing on the outdoor rink. Elk haha city boys just cant hack it with the northern boys. And as for good ole GR. All i have heard about is Pat White this and Reider Jensen that. It takes more then a lucky player between the pipes. And for Pat, hes got alot to live up to. not many can do it. East is the way to go. They have what it takes and they and are ready to prove it. Go East!

gr19

steve

Post by gr19 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:53 pm

You gotta get a clue. Elk River beat Duluth East last season and Rapids only beat them by one goal each game. Cloquet has more than Tyler Johnson, Syrett is a heck of a player and CEC has plays as a team. Rapids is solid up and down the lineup. Steskal on D, Zach Morse, Robb Roy, and Sam Sparren at forword. Patrick White proved it already, who else can score 4 goals on Roseau at State?

boblee

good point steve, gr19

Post by boblee » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:01 pm

I do agree with Steve, GR19. East will be the favorite, they always will. People will look at C-E-C as #2 due to Ellingson and Johnson. It's a toss up as to where people think ER and GR will be preseason as 3 or 4. I think Steve has some very good points. Can Jensen have another great year or was it a fluke? Will White still be the kid he was, even though he is committed? I don't know what Steve thinks, but I know that I think both of those can happen either way. It should be a great season. I can't wait. By teh way, GR19, how is the site coming along?

Steve

GR19

Post by Steve » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:24 pm

GR19 thank you for your insight on GR and CEC. However, i have been on teams that are expected to be great but then land on their face. I believe that GR has a great deal to live up to and im afraid they cannot do it. They have great players yes. But the kicker comes with putting those players together in a way that can produce. CEC they have alot to live up to as well. CEC will struggle. Too many people have focused on Tyler Johnson... We will see in time. I am not here to fight just to share my opinion and respect yours. As of now Duluth East is the ticket. They have always had confidence, and they always will. Until i see another team with that walk, and that confidence i am pulling for the hounds. And as for Elk River, playoffs were a real learning experience for them right. I believe GR proved that city boys cannot play in section 7. GR showed the true northern minnesota heart and came through in the semi, after going through a first period like that, not to mention the bus/hitch hike to duluth. I dont see the heart in the elk boys. maybe they can prove it but i dont think it will show

betweenthepipes

7AA

Post by betweenthepipes » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:49 pm

GR19, unless Jason Syrett has a brother I'm guessing your talking about Jason, he graduated last year. He is playing for Dubuque. I do agree that they have more then just johnson, but just thought I would point that out. Did Duluth East lose Turnbull to Juniors? Also just a heads up for all you people that think only the top 4 teams will compete this year, watch out for Cambridge. Chumley will probably end up in a D1 program when all is said and done and will be in the running to be a Mr. Hockey Candidate. They also have maybe the fastest kid in the section. 185 points on first line last year...they all come back. Maybe an easy sceduale but these kids can play. And dont think that they will be down in goaltending after losing Goldsmith to graduation. Auth will be as good if not better then him. Teams that are on the fall are Forest Lake and St. Francis (when havnt they though). Andover wont be dependent on just one player this year and will have some decent young talent, but none that will have much affect this year.

big_thurst

Post by big_thurst » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:58 pm

This is really a toss up between four teams, This is just a prediction, I'm not really too stuck on it, I could probably come on tomorrow and make a completely different list. But for now...

Elk River has added fire power in the off season, having 3 solid lines that can bury the puck. Possibly the best defense and goaltending tandem in the state.

Duluth East, the perrenial favorite will be strong. If turnbull doesn't leave for Jr's they will be strong. Good goaltending in Leis.

G.R. last years state-runner-up has now proven themselves. White, Mr. Hockey candidate/favorite. Jenson strong between the posts.

Ellingson and Johnson in CEC have a plan of their own. I really like this team, but I just can't justify moving them ahead of any of these three, UNLESS Turnbull leaves D.E.

Prediction:
1. ELK RIVER (Siebert, Martell, Slavik, Brodhag, Mcelhone, Rogers, Volk.. too many guys that can beat you)
2. D.E. (Only holds this spot if Turnbull is staying, if he leaves I drop them to #4 spot)
3. G.R. (Loses a few players, but White and Jensen will have the boys winning)
4. C.E.C (Johnson and Ellingson can't do it all)
5. CAMBRIDGE
6. ANDOVER
7. BRAINERD
8. FOREST LAKE
9. ST. FRANCIS

Forest Lakes beats St. Francis in play-in Game.

Elk River beats Forest Lake.
D.E. beats Brainerd
G.R. beats Andover
C.E.C. beats Cambridge

Elk River beats C.E.C.
G.R. beats D.E.

Elk River beats G.R. in a rematch of last years GREAT section semi game.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:11 pm

Big_Thurst good point. Elk does have alot of good players. However, being from the north I just have a hard time seeing Elk come out of the section. I guess it is just because i am always for the north no matter what. But still there has never been another team to have such power of impression as Duluth East. When they are on the ice they are in the other teams head. They own the game in their minds and their opponents. I do not see Turnbulls presence as a must for this team to have success. And once again you brought up certain players. How long will it take people to realize that it will not just take White and Jensen, it takes a team. People speak about Ellingson and Johnson, great players but not a team. The Team will prove itself the individuals will crumble.