Old Forum vs. New Forum

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Which forum do you like better?

Poll ended at Thu May 18, 2006 3:23 pm

Old Forum
35%
New Forum
65%

Total votes: 23

gh12345

Old Forum vs. New Forum

Post by gh12345 »

just a feedback question
WarroadWarrior

Post by WarroadWarrior »

I'll let ya know in a week or two to let me get accustomed to it
boblee

New Forum

Post by boblee »

I love everything about the new one. I think this is a big hit and we should use this one from now on.
wbmd

old forum vs. new forum

Post by wbmd »

Need to have the edit option added back in!!
Mitch Hawker
Site Admin

Re: old forum vs. new forum

Post by Mitch Hawker »

wbmd wrote:Need to have the edit option added back in!!
It's on the right. You can edit your own posts if you are logged in.
Last edited by Mitch Hawker on Tue May 16, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
larsey

Post by larsey »

Just making a post so I can find that edit button

AHHHHHHHH, found it!!!
chedderhead69

Post by chedderhead69 »

Looks like the Wisconsinprephockey forums. The Cheese leads the way!
hockeydad

new forum

Post by hockeydad »

I like it. I regularly read another board with the same format.

I say keep it

Edit---testing the edit function. :lol:
hockeydad

new forum

Post by hockeydad »

I like it. I regularly read another board with the same format.

I say keep it
hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 »

edit this

I already did :mrgreen:
Last edited by hawkfan70 on Wed May 17, 2006 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
RLStars

Edit

Post by RLStars »

Edit option is there, you just can't edit right away like the old board. It gives you a message to edit later. :(
boblee

Edit option

Post by boblee »

The edit option is huge. I can't imagine a site similar to this not having one. MITCH, if you're out there...why do I have 2,000 less posts on this site compared to the other one??
GRhawky

new board

Post by GRhawky »

I like the new board better so far but ive just been on it today so we'll see how it goes

I got a new address.....so no more "brick"
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Edit option

Post by east hockey »

boblee wrote:MITCH, if you're out there...why do I have 2,000 less posts on this site compared to the other one??
I can answer this for Mitch, because we've been discussing this in email already; not all the Forums from the old Board were brought over (yet), so any posts a person made on those boards aren't recognized by the phpBB software.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
boblee

answer

Post by boblee »

Alright, thanks for the answer. Seems to make perfect sense too.
Thehockeyplaya

Post by Thehockeyplaya »

Im pretty impartial to what board is used either way its a place to talk hockey and i enjoy it. The only thing i have that might become a problem in the future would be that it lets people who are just guests post and not registered users i don't know if there is a way to fix that and make it so you have to be registered just on the fact of the matter of some of the people we have had come through here in the 4yrs it might be helpful to be registered rather than allow just random guests to post
NorthcoteCupGuy

Two Thumbs up

Post by NorthcoteCupGuy »

So Far so good. I like it.

Re: ...

Post by Guest »

Thehockeyplaya wrote:The only thing i have that might become a problem in the future would be that it lets people who are just guests post and not registered users i don't know if there is a way to fix that and make it so you have to be registered just on the fact of the matter of some of the people we have had come through here in the 4yrs it might be helpful to be registered rather than allow just random guests to post
There is a way to fix it and it will be fixed once we've confident that the issues which were preventing some users from registering here under their "Old Forum" names have been resolved. Once that has been accomplished, Mitch or I will change the permissions so that you'll need to be registered in order to post. Not sure on the timeline on this, but my guess is sometime within the next week or so.

Lee
RLStars

Nice option to have

Post by RLStars »

Is there a way that you can set up a button to reply to specific post, or am I missing something? Lets say that a user responds to your post and you would like to respond back to that post, but three users have posted since your original.

When you hit the reply button now, the subject is blank. It would be nice if the subject would remain for the post that you would like to respond to. That is an excellent way of looking back to see what the original post was.
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Nice option to have

Post by east hockey »

RLStars wrote:Is there a way that you can set up a button to reply to specific post, or am I missing something? Lets say that a user responds to your post and you would like to respond back to that post, but three users have posted since your original.

Use the "quote" button and then delete out the parts of the post you're replying to which aren't necessary as I just did in response to your post.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
Thehockeyplaya

Lee

Post by Thehockeyplaya »

Ahh excellent it was just a suggestion but you guys are on top of it already
east hockey
Site Admin

From an Admin point of view

Post by east hockey »

Mitch and I are constantly finding new things which are convenient or handy from the perspective of administering this Board. Some we just stumble into like a few minutes ago when I learned that when I inquire on a poster's IP, it shows any other IP's that user has been connected to, and also any other members' names who are sharing that IP (which happens, for example, on a school network).

As to the question of "guest" posting, Mitch switched that off this afternoon, so there should once again be required membership before one can post. Anybody can read the Board, however, as it also used to be.

One thing that's gone away (unless I'm not looking in the right place) is that the Chat room is gone, but that's of minimal benefit considering how seldom I had the time to open it up last season. Not much of a loss, in my opinion.

I think the transition, overall, has been fairly smooth. I'd say the change was a positive one.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

The Time Zone question

Post by east hockey »

If the time on your posts is off (-1 hour, +1 hour, whatever), you can change this in your Profile. Right near the bottom is the "Timezone" box; if you're in the Central time zone, this should be set to "GMT - 5 Hours". Eastern would be -4 hours, Mountain is -6, Pacific is -7, and Alaska (I think) is -8 (GR19 can probably verify this).

You'll also notice that the times are listed in 24-hour military format which will take a little time to get used to if you're very used to how it used to show on EZBoard.

I think that when we go back to Standard Time at the end of October, it probably will require an adjustment on everyone's part to GMT - 6 Hours.

Just another tip for those having trouble with the time thing.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
the chucker

Not a huge fan.

Post by the chucker »

I haven't been very impressed YET. Can't access my real acct., had to make a new one (not that big of a deal).
Also have to login pretty much everytime I come to the site.
These are 2 things I did not have a problem with on the old site.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
can't thank you enough for the time....
RinkRat10506

Post by RinkRat10506 »

I do like the new board. I like how more topics show up per page now. One thing I dont like is how everything seems to be cluttered.