Northwest Suburban Conf.

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win it?

Anoka
15%
Blaine
28%
Elks
33%
Centennial
23%

Total votes: 39

big_thurst

Post by big_thurst »

1. Elk River
2. Blaine
3. Centennial/Anoka

1) Elk River has a solid returning goaltender in Tony Siebert, and two great defensemen to play in front of him, Brandon Martell & Chris Slavik. With the addition of Brandon Brodhag, a once questionable offense now has a top gun. Forward Tony Rogers is also returning after a solid junior year, a hard working forward willing to do all the little things. I'm sure coach Tony Sarsland, like always, and players, will be able to put pucks in the net and find a way to win. This will be a highly competitive team in the NWSC as well as section 7AA in tourney time. State Tournament appearance very possible.

2) Blaine returns some great high power offense, lead by Ben Lynch. Also have a considerably solid defense. The only question mark in this team is the goaltending. It has been rumored that Colton Schwartz (of St. Francis) was enrolling at Blaine. This would definitely be a great boost to this team. This team will be competitive in the NWSC, and could very well return to the State Tournament representing their section again.

T3) Centennial will be led by solid netminder Jack Hanna. They also have a top defender in Voightlander. Younger and inexperienced players will have to step up to fill rolls left void by last years graduating class. Point production will be much more evenly distributed. Could be a quite the surprise- or bust. Centennial will, as always, be competitive in the NWSC, could make some noise and challenge Blaine around tournament time.

T3) Anoka could be an offensive force if the youth prevails. They have a strong group of young forwards led by O'Niell, and includes Belisle, Noonan, and Scott. With Eason back in net, they have experienced goaltending, but the breaking point of this team may be the defenders. This team as well could be quite a surprise- or bust. Any team that has forwards like Anoka will remain competitive in the NWSC. This team could play spoiler in sections. May be considered 'dark horse' come tourney time.
speakingthetruth

Post by speakingthetruth »

NWSC will be won by Blaine, Anoka, or Elk River.

Blaine- Forwards are very fast with and without the puck and also have very good hands- Ben Lynch, Joe Baudette, Ryan John, Shaber. Defense- Maybe best defense in the conference in Nick Carson along with sophomore ..Brokway. Goaltending- Rumors of kid from Utah is living with one of the players already is supose to be solid and might have Colten Schwartz be enrolling also? Two solid goaltenders right there if you ask me.

Anoka- Forwards are also very fast like Blaine's, with good hands but only have 3 of them- John O'neill, Berkley Scott, Cory Belisle. I believe that all three of them are on a line with each other, which is going to be trouble for there second and third line. Defense- Going to hurt them very much this year. Only having maybe 2 that are quility defensmen in James Campbell and Jeff Lesmister. Goaltending- They should be fine for goalies with senior Brenden Eason and J.D. Wells. Neither goalies from Blaine or Anoka are going to be better than Elk River's goaltender Tony Siebert tho.

Elk River- Forwards- Brandon Brodhag (Champlin Park transfer) and Tony Rogers will need to be putting the puck in the net for them because i can't see anyone else scoring that often unless there top defensmen Brandon Martell moves to play forward. Defense- Best defense pairing in the confernece easliy with Brandon Martell and Chris Slavik will be a positive for the Elks Defense. Goaltending- In my mind best goalie in the conference in Tony Siebert, maybe one of the top 15 goalies in the state.
big_thurst

Post by big_thurst »

I would go as far as top 10, maybe top 5 goalie in Tony Siebert (Elk River)

It seems as if it is Elk River's conference to lose... with solid defense and netminding, it looks as if their season boils down to whether or not they can put the puck in the net
Stateofhcky76

Siebert a Top 5 in the State??????

Post by Stateofhcky76 »

Big_Thurst:

Top 5 is pushing it! One year of HS hockey with a .901 save % seeing 19 average SOG per game (lowest in the NWSC) in front of a defensive minded team with a defense that will only get better than last year (in which was a very solid defense last year). Yes, he received an automatic bid into the EL1 however, to be considered a top ten tender in the State, you need more than 1 good HS season in your resume.

Respectfully Submitted,
Stateofhcky76
(aka mnhockey39)
RealDeal

Stateofhockey

Post by RealDeal »

So after all of the posts made about how good kellogg is then how does he himself qualify after playing a year of JV and (not many games at that) and in his 1 year he didnt play good he had a shut out going into the third and he blew sounds like a little too much pressure for the big guy or maybe from DADDY
big_thurst

Post by big_thurst »

Stateofhcky76 says
Big_Thurst:

Top 5 is pushing it!
I wrote
I would go as far as top 10, maybe top 5 goalie in Tony Siebert (Elk River)
Maybe that's why I said maybe?

This kid has played on plenty of Elite teams, and selects... He posted a shut out in the Toronto tourney, he is a top ten goalie and you could make a case for him being top 5.
gr19

seibert

Post by gr19 »

He was the best goalie I saw at the HS level last season.
pucknut

Re: Stateofhockey

Post by pucknut »

[quote="RealDeal"]So after all of the posts made about how good kellogg is then how does he himself qualify after playing a year of JV and (not many games at that) and in his 1 year he didnt play good he had a shut out going into the third and he blew sounds like a little too much pressure for the big guy or maybe from DADDY[/quote]

Isn't Kellogg a tender who has bounced around from Andover... to Totino...to Elk River (last summer)...only to return to Andover?
pucknut

NW Sub transfers

Post by pucknut »

Has anyone heard anything about Nick Jensen transferring from Rogers to ER? I've heard this rumor and also about him going to Totino or Shattuck. Anyone have info?
big_thurst

Post by big_thurst »

StateofHcky76 need I remind you that Tony Siebert turned away 34 of 37 shots in the section game vs. Grand Rapids, eventual state runner-up. Anybody that saw that game would be more than willing to back Siebert's case.

Top 5 Goalies:
Patterson
Ellingson
Siebert
Jenson
Leis
cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

Siebert is definitely a top 5 to 10 goalie in the state. I thought he had a very good season last year and saw him play against Blaine at Fogerty. I believe Blaine got five that night but easily could have had 8 to 10 against many other "HS" goalies. Kellogg is another story, lucky to be considered in the top 25 in the state.
Stateofhcky76

Opinions

Post by Stateofhcky76 »

Whoa!!

All I said was "Top 5 is pushing it".

Real Deal:

Know your facts otherwise, you will continue to lose creditability. I have written about many tenders over the last two years accordingly. I state the facts about tenders who perform and particular, consistently in multiple events. See postings via mnhockey39 as well as there is plenty of data available. I have even mentioned Siebert in some of my writings.

Big Thurst:

I know of "The Game" as I was in attendance. No reminders necessary. Absolutely, he had a great game against GR with a good team in front of him! ER dominated the first period, GR the second, and fairly even play the third. BTW, Kellogg turned away 48 out of 54 SOG against Grand Rapids, in GR, while being out shot 54 - 21 for Andover. Google the Grand Rapids Herald article in which wrote about the game to hear what a Grand Rapids reporter thought of Kellogg’s performance.

Pucknut:

This applies to you as well. His resume states, 2 years at TG and a Junior year at Andover.

Chaepshot:

Never debated Top 10! Kellogg lucky to be Top 25? I sense tension in that number and find humor?

Regards,
Stateofhcky76
(aka mnhockey39)
RealDeal

Quite "FRANKLY"

Post by RealDeal »

I just love how you are such a goalie expert in all of your posts you rip the elite system for your kid not getting the nod when can think of 10 off of teh top of my head that should have been given the oppertunity over him! Second of all just how many years of VARSITY experiance does kellogg have? Tony Siebert is a very solid goalie do I think he is top 5 absolutly not I saw him outplayed in select competition last year but it doesnt matter he gets the Ws! In my opinion I dont think he has what it takes at the next level. He has 2 of the best D men in the state in front of him and a very defensive minded coach! He is a good high school goalie but I personnally dont believe he has what it takes! But its time for you to throw your "P.H.D." in goaltending out the window. You haven't got the first clue to what it takes for a goalie to perform at the next level! You just have the idea of what you think stats mean! Let me give you something to think about in 1999 the winner of the frank brimmsek trophey was adam laksonnen (sp) who played for a good cloquet team and went to the next level and fizzled out in 2 years or so. Running up behind him was by far the best goalie in the state by far in Adam Berkhole who played for a very BAD team and posted just mediocre stats! He went on to be the best goalie of the grad class and had a successful carreer at Denver. The stats dont show who the best goalie is it shows who has teh best defensive chemistry in that the goalie compliments the D very well visa versa. The stats show nothing of technique or of saves that the goalie had no chance on or nor do they show the quality of the shots those are messured in scoring chances which unfortanityly arent kept as a stat at the HS level so just leave out the PHD of goaltending and your atempts to try to breakdown how the elite leagure should or shouldnt be right the game will never be perfect let it be pure! Plays Play Coaches Coach and Parents Parent they dont protect their kids when their kids were at fault they let them live their life to the fullest learning from their mistakes not letting them think that they can do no wrong!
Stateofhcky76

RealDeal

Post by Stateofhcky76 »

RD:

Again if you look at my past posting, revisit your Quote, you will find your examples and my past statements have some similarity, particularly your example of the two goaltenders in which you mentioned, including non-stat attributes measuring a goaltenders abilities.
RealDeal wrote: Let me give you something to think about in 1999 the winner of the frank brimmsek trophey was adam laksonnen (sp) who played for a good cloquet team and went to the next level and fizzled out in 2 years or so. Running up behind him was by far the best goalie in the state by far in Adam Berkhole who played for a very BAD team and posted just mediocre stats! He went on to be the best goalie of the grad class and had a successful carreer at Denver. The stats dont show who the best goalie is it shows who has teh best defensive chemistry in that the goalie compliments the D very well visa versa. The stats show nothing of technique or of saves that the goalie had no chance on or nor do they show the quality of the shots those are messured in scoring chances which unfortanityly arent kept as a stat at the HS level so just leave out the PHD of goaltending and your atempts to try to breakdown how the elite leagure should or shouldnt be right the game will never be perfect let it be pure! Plays Play Coaches Coach and Parents Parent they dont protect their kids when their kids were at fault they let them live their life to the fullest learning from their mistakes not letting them think that they can do no wrong!
BTW, you are right in that I do not have a PhD in goaltending however, know the position of goaltending very well. I have spoken to other goaltending attributes, other than stats, if you would pay attention to my previous posts. Also note that I did not rip the "Elite Leagues" simply share my opinion of their occasionally flawed selection process, multi-year published statistical results, and my actual visual observations! There is a difference! I am pleased to see that Guggenburger is participating in the 2006 UMEL (as he should have been selected based upon skill set and his tryout in Plymouth) taking Kent Patterson’s place as he moves onto greener pastures in the USHL. Unfortunately, Kellogg (who was the NW Alternate according to published data via the UMEL) has elected not to participate in the UMEL in an alternate role. This should open up a spot for another goaltender in the UMEL (Donahue (Sr.), Hess (Sr.), Wood (Sr.), and or Morgan (Jr.) would be formidable tenders).

The most important message that you offer, “Parents Parent and allow their kids to learn from their mistakes”. Absolutely, if it is their fault by not performing during evaluation! They also teach that in life, there are other influences and no matter how well they perform, you may not be selected as a chosen one. They need to understand and learn to play the other influences game and or simply become the best (through hard work, determination, and dedication) and beat the odds through impressing others that are willing to give them a chance! Otherwise, some may opt to give up and move onto other adventures in life. Also note, your quote “it will never be perfect however, let it be pure”. Do you mean go with the flow and if the flow flows in your direction, life is good and if the flow doesn't flow in your direction, allow others to attempt to dictate that specific destiny, through their decision making process? I respectfully disagree! Determination is what will prevail (through such lessons) and that is a lesson in which all should be taught! My message is what can occur within the teaching and selection process to change the mindset outside of Minnesota Hockey to allow Minnesota goaltenders the same opportunities in which Minnesota centers, wingers, and defensemen have without interference of existing stigma that I know exists? Contrary to your belief, I know what it takes to get to the next level. Besides your level of play and stature (rebound control, ability to keep the puck out of the net, size, athleticism, and mental preparedness) unless you are a phenon (there are very few of these) and or are good and have a pedigree, it takes being one of the best, someone promoting your abilities, some luck, and getting seen by junior and collegiate scouts/coach’s as often as possible! For Minnesota Elite Leagues, they do a great job of promoting some goaltenders and players in Minnesota however, as you suggest, it is not perfect. Given such, how can it be pure?

Respectfully Submitted,
Stateofhcky76
(aka mnhockey39)
RealDeal

Post by RealDeal »

That is what purity is its all natural with imperfections let the prossess play it self out You and I both know that there were many more deserving canidates to have been given an oppertunity to tryout for the UMEL other than some that made it and some that were given the chance. My opinion and way to go about it is to leave it at that and not debate about why or why not just leave it. Because the same road traveled every year in different scenarios its like a broken record it isnt a direct targert at you SoH76 it is just the same tune new lyric.
straightsnipe14

Post by straightsnipe14 »

[quote="HockeyObserver19"]Maple Grove is going to be a very young team. Who are their top scorers that you are refering to? [quote]

-Benson and Loney will have plenty of points an that first line alone will be tough to contend with.
big_thurst

Post by big_thurst »

StateofHcky76:

If you think Top 5 or Top 10 for Tony Siebert is pushing it, then feel free to enlighten me with your own Top 5, Top 10, Top 25 rankings for goaltenders, and feel free to explain or justify any of your thoughts or choices.
RealDeal

Post by RealDeal »

i wont give you a list of who is there but i will tell you siebert isnt he plays with the best d in the state and it makes him look much better than he actually is in his select 17 tourny he didnt even make the 51s which would be six goalies those who did make it included Cary Wood Tartan\Woodbury, Matt Beggs Apple Vally/Rosemont, Beau Christian TEAM ILLINOIS, alex hess Cathedral, Brendon Eason of ANOKA and Brent Buhl of simley. The select festival gives goalies that dont normally have great D a chance to play with some very talented ones. Siebert is good but when mixed in with everyone else he just blends in.
sammy8033

goalie talk

Post by sammy8033 »

All this goalie talk and we might be forgetting to mention Alex Langseth of the North Metro Stars (Park Center/Tri-City). He was All-State honorable mention last season and had a 90 save pct. And we all know how many shots a game he faced last season.
big_thurst

Post by big_thurst »

i still dont understand the lack of respect for Siebert's game? he doesn't make 1 cut and all of a sudden he's not top 10 worthy? He's playin elite with Kent Patterson as his goaltending partner.. sha'll we list all the players he beat for that spot?

Langseth is a great goaltender, definetely in my top 10 list.
murraychadwick

Rosters

Post by murraychadwick »

Sounds like the Northwest Suburban has been out hard on the "Open Enrollment" trail. I hope they are providing rosters for all the games with the amount of new faces in the line ups. Are there any teams NOT picking up or losing players?
Stars67

Post by Stars67 »

I would like to see the list of who he beat out because I was told he was given teh spot I know of many players that were deservng of a Tryout that didnt get it because of the record of their team so technically he didnt beat anyone out. I am with real deal on this one he is very good but not top 5 material
Stateofhcky76

BigThurst

Post by Stateofhcky76 »

BT:

First and foremost, I did NOT question TS being a top 10! I said, "Top 5 is pushing it". TS may wind up a top 5, depending on his performance in EL1 2006 and his 2nd year of HS hockey. Also note, I wrote about Alex Langseth as being a fine tender as well in my (mnhockey39) past postings. There is NO lack of respect for TS pesonally and or his game! Lastly, I have written about goaltenders to watch over the last year. See postings of Stateofhcky76 and mnhockey39 to review.

Regards,
StateofHcky76
(aka mnhockey39)