Private School Tournament

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

What do you think?

Dumb Idea
67%
Post State Tournament
19%
"Scrimmage" Tournament
14%

Total votes: 42

HShockeywatcher

Private School Tournament

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:40 pm

No, I didn't mean private school state, if you've read anything by me before, that's a dumb idea. But what I think it was Zamman and someone else said is who wouldn't pay to see them all play in a tournament? Would this be a possibility? Maybe a postseason tournament at Aldrich, or an "exhibition" tournament (would that even be possible, where the games were just scrimmages?).

All the public schoolers out there continue to rant and rave about how much better the private schools are and so they want them in a separate tourny so they themselves have a shot at state. :D

So, who wouldn't want to see Holy Angels, St Thomas, Benilde, Breck, Blake, Hill Murray, Totino Grace, Cretin, Marshall, Cathedral, Minnehaha Academy, Lourdes, and maybe even Holy Family and Providence Academy battle it out? Through in St Bernards and St Paul Academy and you have a 16 team bracket. Or invite SSM's AAA team maybe.

irishman

Post by irishman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:45 pm

i dont mean to sound like a whiner but go ahead have the tourney. .. then invite ssm's prep team and let the private schools get whooped.

Just kidding. I dont know maybe i would pay to see a private school tourney but it should be over the holidays instead of the end of the year
What Can Brown Do For You?

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:48 pm

To clarify irishman, I suggested that since there is a 25 game limit right now during the season. Holy Angels won't stop playing in Schwan's, etc, etc.

Anyone know if a scrimmage bracket would fly with the MSHSL?

gopherhockey33

Post by gopherhockey33 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:33 pm

even though everyone hates private schools, it would be better hockey if it was just private schools

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:35 pm

The topic of this thread should be, "I want to start another public vs private debate." And no, no school could or would play in a tournament after the season was over.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:39 pm

This isn't at all a public/private debate. This was suggested earlier, a few people commented and it died, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Neutron 14

Re: Private School Tournament

Post by Neutron 14 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:11 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:No, I didn't mean private school state, if you've read anything by me before, that's a dumb idea.
And you think this is better? You think we should have a public only one too? How about one for both, but divided by socioeconomic classes? You know, rich kids vs trailer trash.

How about we look for less reasons to divide us.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:18 pm

[quote="Neutron 14"][quote="HShockeywatcher"]No, I didn't mean private school state, if you've read anything by me before, that's a dumb idea.[/quote]

And you think this is better? You think we should have a public only one too? How about one for both, but divided by socioeconomic classes? You know, rich kids vs trailer trash.

How about we look for [b]less[/b] reasons to divide us.[/quote]

Neutron, You wouldn't pay to see this tourny if it happened?
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoBears

Post by GoBears » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:31 pm

If everyone went to public schools? Who would run the city?

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:39 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote: Neutron, You wouldn't pay to see this tourny if it happened?
Not a chance.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:42 pm

Well, I sincerely apologize if I have offended you.

But with that said, I was not the one who came up with this idea. I agree with your point, but it's not the private schools who keep talking about the private schools, it's the public schoolers. It was suggested that everyone talks about them, and they are obviously pretty decent, so why not just have a tournament with them.

hockeyoo

Post by hockeyoo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:56 pm

i think everyone should stop B#$@%'n and just accept the fact that private schools are what they are and public schools are what they are. who cares, if public schools win it just is 10 times more exciting.. roseville, stillwater, white bear, centennial, moorhead, grand rapids, woodbury, eagan, blaine, jefferson... who cares public schools just need to start showing em up and kids will stay there. this is to the above. to the main question i say its stupid.

DmnHawk5

Post by DmnHawk5 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:59 pm

You said it almost perfect

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 pm

Now that we have many opinions that make me realize maybe a bad topic, anyone know if the scrimmage idea would work though? If a group of teams got together and just played 3 periods of 17 minutes and had what happened count, but had them not count for their record or anything, would that fly, or what is the ruling on scrimmages?

ocanadaourhome

Post by ocanadaourhome » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:30 pm

GoBears wrote:If everyone went to public schools? Who would run the city?
At least the streets would be plowed......

"I always liked that one....... :lol:

Ankles Pierre, Jr.

Private Tourney

Post by Ankles Pierre, Jr. » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:35 am

AP likes the private tourneys we already have...

...they're called A and AA. Though we never should have lost the one tourney we had from 1975 thru 1991.

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:48 am

The Catholics already have 2 tournamnets.

They are both in St Paul. One is around the Holidays and the other is in March.

I supppse we could invite some other kinds of schools in but theyd have to promise not to whine if they lose.

:lol:

Zamman

Enough is enough

Post by Zamman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:29 am

As a supporter of both public and private high school hockey, I think I can finally say this is enough of this.... The tournament is good the way it is. Yes the private schools are winning now, but it has and will not always be this way. When the public schools dominate again, people will again rip the private schools for being so bad. The facts here are there are many teams in Minnesota with 20 kids on the team that come from all walks of life to play a game they love. Let's just leave it at that. The format we use is fine, changing it would ruin it.

Ankles Pierre, Jr.

Zamman's Angels

Post by Ankles Pierre, Jr. » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:01 am

Zamman and his Angels are new to all this Catholic bashing. Way back in the Twentieth Century all the bigotry was aimed at Hill-Murray. They were kicked out of the St. Paul City Conference for winning too much in all sports, but Cretin and St. Thomas were allowed to stay. Atleast now the bigots are offering us our own tournament; it's nice to have some company!

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:30 am

If everyone had your attitude Zamman, we woud have no need for the Crusades.

AP is right . But the bigotted Catholic/private phobics are in a tough spot these days. In the old days, they could kick HM out and no big deal, only one team.

These days, the loss of the Catholics and privates would cause a serious drop in the competition level.

Even the most casual fan now has to appreciate that the top privates and publics need each other to have the best possible league.

But we still have bigotted phobics who dont get it. Hence , the Crusaders March on.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:33 am

to quote you Zamman;

"There has been some talk of this happening. We just need to put all the pieces together. How many people do you think would come out to watch:
AHA, HM, CDH, STA, BSM, Lourdes, SCC and Totino Grace play? My guess a lot more than would admit.....
This would be one wiz-bang of a tournament....."

So, someone suggested it before you, you took it to that level, no one commented, I remembered and just wanted to see what people had to say. That's all. End of discussion?

Zamman

Wrong topic

Post by Zamman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:16 am

Sorry!!!!

Ankles Pierre, Jr.

Keep the Catholic Tourney Private

Post by Ankles Pierre, Jr. » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:50 am

AP is sick of the Catholic Tourney subsidizing the Phobic School teams. We let everybody in and our real estate values go down, right?

Okay, let the Phobic School System compete, but why give them a free ride? Catholics have sections 2AA, 3AA, 5AA and 6AA locked up, but that still leaves half of our tournament open to southern bigots and northern Cinderellas!

TG, STA, SB, HF, PA, SCC, and RL all need to step up! Cinderella belongs in the girl's tourney, anyway. What will happen to the competition level in classless A? Who cares? Okay, let the Catholic JV teams compete at the single A varsity level: then both tourneys will have 8 great teams!

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:58 am

Its a call for new Crusade!

Not only should we strive to banish the pagan, fat cat, face in public trough , ultra liberal, biggoted, phobic public schools but we should recruit new Catholic schools to the cause.

I like it!

Sure, lets have an all Catholic tournamnet.

At the Xcell in March...starting around the 7th.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:06 pm

Here we go, now see what you've done HShockeywatcher?