Cloquet @ White Bear Lake

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Cloquet
70%
White Bear Lake
30%

Total votes: 54

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

CEC got better as the night wore on. WBL had a hard time getting shots in close. CEC is very solid, the best team I've seen this year. Riley Roe was the best player on the ice and fun to watch. White Bear just doesn't have the depth CEC has. Hanson failed to score on another breakaway.

Collette was solid for the Bears.
GRhawky

Post by GRhawky »

Who scored for Cloquet?
hockey.com

Post by hockey.com »

The one thing that should be noted is that CEC scored all three goals on the PP. Cloquet is a better team, but not that much better 5-on-5.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Roe had the first one and Johnson the third. I don't recall who got the second as it was jammed in a scramble at the side of the net.

Taylor Johnson scored for the Bears.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Was Colette in nets?
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

boblee wrote:Was Colette in nets?
Collette was in the nets and kept the game as close as it was. The kid is very quick in dropping into the butterfly and getting back up into position. He also can move laterally while in the butterfly position very well.

I would say Moorhead, Roseau, and CEC are the top teams in the state right now. CDH looked very good thursday night at Highland and AHA is supposed to be a juggernaut is they ever decide to play somebody decent.
Jack Attack

Post by Jack Attack »

hockey.com wrote:The one thing that should be noted is that CEC scored all three goals on the PP. Cloquet is a better team, but not that much better 5-on-5.
That is so wrong hockey.com. But of course we wouldnt know for sure since the game was so poorly run/ref'd last night. and im not possitive but i think only one of the jacks goals was on a powerplay.

There was no shot clock to be exact but i'd say the Jacks outshot the teddy bears by at least 15 shots.

I was impressed with number 21 from the bears. he showed alot of composure on the ice when the rest of his team was throwing slashes left and right. i also thought there goalie did a good job. CEC got alot of shots on him and he came up with a couple big saves.

I was also impressed with the Jacks third line, they sure work hard. they might not score goals but they play tough and get the job done. The jacks are just too deep for anyone to play 3 periods with.
Sincerely,
Jack
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

Cloquet was the better team all around, though WBL seemed to have three extras out there all night wearing black & white stripes.
Tyler Johnson had a pretty goal but the real story is the work ethic of Cloquet's Riley Roe. That kid can flat out play! With good depth & solid coaching, this Cloquet team far outranks those teams of the early 90's.
Premiere10

Post by Premiere10 »

Hey I think cloquet is real good this year too, but better than the teams of the early ninety's? The one's jamie langenbrunner was on? Gimme a break, its only six games into the season, they have a ways to go before they could reach that status. Also, Tyler Johnson is good but he is pretty far away from where jamie langenbrunner was his JUNIOR year let alone his senior year. (You may remember that jamie elected to play juniors in canada his senior year)
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

Premier 10, i grew up in cloquet & played youth hockey with many of those guys in those early 90's teams. Not to take anything away from them, but they were pretty one dimensional, especially the 92-93 squad. Take away that tpo line of Petrov, Novak, & Langenbrunner and what you had left were two "decent" lines a best. This years team just tends to be a bit more balanced is all I am saying. I commend Coach Esse for breaking up Roe & Johnson to create a more potent scoring attack. The Jacks always put a nice product on the ice. Many of these kids come from blue collar backgrounds and will outwork any team they play, guaranteed. I know we're only 6 games in, but this team has something special.
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

One more thing Premiere10, have you seen Tyler Johnson play? I would put him in the same category with Langenbrunner when he was in high school, which by the way Jamie left Cloquet after his junior year to play major junior hockey in Ontario.
ilovehockey15

Post by ilovehockey15 »

Lumberjack wrote:Cloquet was the better team all around, though WBL seemed to have three extras out there all night wearing black & white stripes.
Tyler Johnson had a pretty goal but the real story is the work ethic of Cloquet's Riley Roe. That kid can flat out play! With good depth & solid coaching, this Cloquet team far outranks those teams of the early 90's.
far outranks? stop there buddy these boys are very good but they still have to prove themselves in sections. im sorry but they do not " far outrank" those teams. i mean the 92-93 team had 2 losses including state
Premiere10

Post by Premiere10 »

Lumberjack, I have seen cloquet, and tyler johnson play many times. He is an excellent hard working player, however, I don't think he is as hard working as jamie was. Jamie didn't have incredible finess or anything fancing he just worked his butt off, had good size, skated well, and could put the puck in the net...he wasnt like corey millen who was a great open ice player who could dazzle you like the best of em, and tyler is a version of corey millen (coincidence that he is his uncle) but i think 5 players went D1 on that 92-93 team and this team may have as much or maybe more depth than that team but saying tyler is what jamie was is a bit much...and jamie helped those 5 players go D1, assuming i am correct on the #, I dont see tyler doing that....great players and great team I think we both agree on but the caliber is to question...
boblee

Post by boblee »

Premiere10 wrote:Lumberjack, I have seen cloquet, and tyler johnson play many times. He is an excellent hard working player, however, I don't think he is as hard working as jamie was. Jamie didn't have incredible finess or anything fancing he just worked his butt off, had good size, skated well, and could put the puck in the net...he wasnt like corey millen who was a great open ice player who could dazzle you like the best of em, and tyler is a version of corey millen (coincidence that he is his uncle) but i think 5 players went D1 on that 92-93 team and this team may have as much or maybe more depth than that team but saying tyler is what jamie was is a bit much...and jamie helped those 5 players go D1, assuming i am correct on the #, I dont see tyler doing that....great players and great team I think we both agree on but the caliber is to question...
Tyler Johnson, Riley Roe, Justin Jokinen, Victor Karlsson, Sever Lundquist, David Brown, and Reid Ellingson all have potential to play D1 hockey.
MajinHockey

Post by MajinHockey »

i'm pretty sure the only seniors from the the 92-93 jacks team to go D1 were Mrozik, Novak, and Petrov....all to UMD, were Mrozik shined for 4 years and Novak and Petrov eventually left, with Novak ending up at Bemidji State and Petrov to parts unknown (at least to me), I don't think any juniors from that team even went D1. However, that doesn't take anything away from them, great great team.
Premiere10

Post by Premiere10 »

And you cant leave out what jamie has done, obviously, the thing to remember here is that all of us agree that cloquet has something special this year, just the quality of that specialness is what the debate is right now, hopefully as the year goes on it will become more and more special....tyler is going D1 he is great, small, but great and with the "new" NHL his size will matter a lot less that before (should he make it that far), reid ellingson ya obviously he is amazing and should go D1, victor karlsson is also a great player i could see him going D1, sever lundquist has size, but i dont think he has a whole lot else going for him to go D1, maybe if he proves himself with a couple years of juniors, but not before then...riley roe is hard working and never quits but is small and i would be surprised to see him go D1, and then david brown i dont think has much chance of playing hockey after high school other than juniors, maybe, for a little bit...i would love to see this years team be better than the 92-93 team...in order for them to be better i dont think they could come do much less than winning state...
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

Langenbrunner has by far made more of a name for himself in the NHL than any other kid from Cloquet. Others include Derek Plante, Corey Millen, & Rick Mrozik (his stint with the Flames was brief). I would really like to see more kids graduate from the Cloquet program, move onto a legit D1 school and possibly shine in the NHL. I would have to see more of this years team to make a comment on who should/can go D1 from this years squad. Roe is the most obvious player which comes to mind, though his size might deter some schools from taking a look.
Premiere10

Post by Premiere10 »

Lumberjack, I would hope tyler johnson's name or reid ellingson's name would come to mind before riley roe. I think riley is good, but reid and tyler are great. Tyler has the same size problems as riley but is a better player, I believe he is already commited to play at colorado college...after reid and tyler i think that either victor karlsson or riley roe are next in line to be looked at for D1 hockey...
boblee

Post by boblee »

Premiere10 wrote:Lumberjack, I would hope tyler johnson's name or reid ellingson's name would come to mind before riley roe. I think riley is good, but reid and tyler are great. Tyler has the same size problems as riley but is a better player, I believe he is already commited to play at colorado college...after reid and tyler i think that either victor karlsson or riley roe are next in line to be looked at for D1 hockey...
Sever Lundquist is next. Right after Tyler.
Premiere10

Post by Premiere10 »

no way is sever lundquist next...he will be lucky as hell to go D1, reid ellingson is right after TJ, sever is maybe tied with riley roe...he doesnt do a whole lot for you to praise him that much...
boblee

Post by boblee »

Premiere10 wrote:no way is sever lundquist next...he will be lucky as hell to go D1, reid ellingson is right after TJ, sever is maybe tied with riley roe...he doesnt do a whole lot for you to praise him that much...
Actually, he is having a fantastic season, and he has great size.
Premiere10

Post by Premiere10 »

i absolutely agree he has great size but overall he isnt that great, his size is the best thing going for him followed by not a whole lot else..he is a quasi hard worker....i would be surprised if he has a consistently excellent season..he is good, but not D1 talent i dont think...
osgood2006

Post by osgood2006 »

wb is done for... make way for the Hugo Hawks in 2015, the city will reach a population of 30,000 ppl. Its the new woodbury
boblee

Post by boblee »

Premiere10 wrote:i absolutely agree he has great size but overall he isnt that great, his size is the best thing going for him followed by not a whole lot else..he is a quasi hard worker....i would be surprised if he has a consistently excellent season..he is good, but not D1 talent i dont think...
I have talked to D1 scouts who are very interested in him.
Premiere10

Post by Premiere10 »

Cmon boblee, more than one D1 scout is interested? The kid is good, but not great, great size, but not much more...I don't know, MAYBE, he could have people looking at him. I would be surprised if he went to a D1 school at all, let alone without at least 2 years of juniors first...