AHA vs. Centennial

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will AHA end Centennial's undefeated at the X streak?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 45

HOFamer

Post by HOFamer » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:14 am

boblee gave the Cougs the kiss of death

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:05 am

Gordie07 wrote:I rest my case.

I couldn't find my dad's car keys so I had to stay home and watch it on FSN.
And I think the jury will find in your favor.

I hope your dad's not ticked about the car keys, but glad to see you found the shift key :)

Holy Angels presents quite the conundrum for any team that faces them, I think this team is better than last year's team. It looked like Centennial was playing their center up high in the offensive zone to take away AHA's quick transition and stop breakaways. It seemed to work, I don't remember AHA getting a lot of odd man rushes but it also didn't seem to matter as the Stars' offensive skill was still too much for Centennial.

There isn't a team in the state that can match their firepower, a team that beats them will need stellar goaltending, speed and some scoring ability. I thought Roseville came the closest in this tournament but even they couldn't keep up with them. The fact that Moorhead beat Roseville in the consolation suggests that Moorhead has the talent to keep up with AHA, but the goaltending I saw in the Centennial game wouldn't cut it against the Stars. Of the teams I've seen this year both Roseau and Cloquet would give AHA a good battle, but I think Edina might match up best with a good combination of skill and physical play as long as they could stay out of the box.

stars612

Re: Another Prediction!

Post by stars612 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:08 am

Ankles Pierre, Jr. wrote:
stars612 wrote:I guess AP is turning into the new boblee with his predictions.
No way is AHA going to miss State again in March 2007.
:D :D :D :D :D
Third times a charm.

breakout

Post by breakout » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:49 pm

Very impressed with AHA last night. Their team speed was incredible and their 2nd line did the job. They exposed Centennials lack of speed on D as well.

Also, I took a shot at AHAs D in previous posts. They looked solid last night. Brutlag was a stud. Morris playing with Brutlag on power play seemed to work nicely.

stars612

Post by stars612 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:02 pm

breakout wrote:Very impressed with AHA last night. Their team speed was incredible and their 2nd line did the job. They exposed Centennials lack of speed on D as well.

Also, I took a shot at AHAs D in previous posts. They looked solid last night. Brutlag was a stud. Morris playing with Brutlag on power play seemed to work nicely.
Brutlag did look amazing last night. Raskob had a quiet game last night, but was great in the other tournament games, with a couple goals and some great D-plays.
Third times a charm.

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:32 pm

stars612 wrote:
breakout wrote:Very impressed with AHA last night. Their team speed was incredible and their 2nd line did the job. They exposed Centennials lack of speed on D as well.

Brutlag did look amazing last night. Raskob had a quiet game last night, but was great in the other tournament games, with a couple goals and some great D-plays.
AHA- Academy of Hockey All-stars the best team money can buy! blah blah blah! :roll:

WBLM

Post by WBLM » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:36 pm

Well I was pretty right on this one.

stars612

Post by stars612 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:58 pm

BIAFP wrote:
stars612 wrote:

AHA- Academy of Hockey All-stars the best team money can buy! blah blah blah! :roll:
Original. :roll:
Third times a charm.

ihavesuperpowers

Post by ihavesuperpowers » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:00 pm

Even though holy angels won by six goals last night i still thought that they didnt play there best hockey. I watched them play against Hill Murray the night before and man did they look unstoppable. They finished off every check, won all the races to loose pucks, and scored when they got the chance and played just a very good, physical hockey game. They just looked last night like they took Centennial a little to lightly and although they buried them alive...I thought they looked a lot better against Hill. But that's just me.

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:04 pm

stars612 wrote:[

Original. :roll:[/quote]

Exactly!!! They are all ORIGINALLY from another hockey program :lol:

THEGunslinger

Post by THEGunslinger » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Give me a break! Thats all I have to say.... Is HA the real deal? yeah they are, but at what point are the people of the state of Minnesota going to stand up and say ENOUGH! Enough of the private schools and recruing! Try to tell me they dont... how does it work that Holy Angels, CDH... Hill, BSM.... god I could just keep going..... how is it they consistantly end up in the top! Quite frankly im about done with the whole thing. Ive been a fan of Minnesota High School hockey for over 30 years... and honestly... its just to the point of rediculus! Its like comparing apples and oranges! oh... but thats right, they dont recrute, these kids just somehow end up at private schools on their own!

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:22 pm

THEGunslinger wrote:Give me a break! Thats all I have to say.... Is HA the real deal? yeah they are, but at what point are the people of the state of Minnesota going to stand up and say ENOUGH! Enough of the private schools and recruing! Try to tell me they dont... how does it work that Holy Angels, CDH... Hill, BSM.... god I could just keep going..... how is it they consistantly end up in the top! Quite frankly im about done with the whole thing. Ive been a fan of Minnesota High School hockey for over 30 years... and honestly... its just to the point of rediculus! Its like comparing apples and oranges! oh... but thats right, they dont recrute, these kids just somehow end up at private schools on their own!
B I N G O!!!!!!!!!!

Zeke16

Post by Zeke16 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:23 pm

They all have to be from another program - duh.

Gunslinger, what is recruing? how about recrute? I know you're tired of it, but maybe if you learned to spell....

stars612

Post by stars612 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:24 pm

BIAFP wrote:
THEGunslinger wrote:Give me a break! Thats all I have to say.... Is HA the real deal? yeah they are, but at what point are the people of the state of Minnesota going to stand up and say ENOUGH! Enough of the private schools and recruing! Try to tell me they dont... how does it work that Holy Angels, CDH... Hill, BSM.... god I could just keep going..... how is it they consistantly end up in the top! Quite frankly im about done with the whole thing. Ive been a fan of Minnesota High School hockey for over 30 years... and honestly... its just to the point of rediculus! Its like comparing apples and oranges! oh... but thats right, they dont recrute, these kids just somehow end up at private schools on their own!
B I N G O!!!!!!!!!!
:-({|=

Sounds to me like someones team just got schooled...
Third times a charm.

stars612

Post by stars612 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:28 pm

AHA doesn't need to recruit. The program does it for itself.

And what is this private school, private school, private school nonsense. You guys are stupid to say that only private schools have players that open enroll. Typical Jan Brady mentality. You'll never be as pretty as Marcia, so you just whine about her instead. :D
Third times a charm.

stars612

Post by stars612 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:33 pm

Private schools vs. Public schools transfers.

2006-2007 TRANSFERS

Player Year Pos From To
Ryan Anderson Jr F Academy Of Holy Angels to Eastview
Matt Bergland Jr F Providence Academy to Benilde-St. Margaret's
Mike Biagini Sr D North St. Paul to St. Paul Johnson
Jon Boerger Jr G Burnsville to Academy Of Holy Angels
Brandon Brodhag Sr F Champlin Park to Elk River
Ben Cloud Jr D Northfield to Rosemount
Jake Cogger Jr F North Branch to Eveleth-Gilbert/Mesabi East
Luke Davis Sr F Hibbing to Duluth Denfeld
Matt DeFlorin Jr F Park-Cottage Grove to Cretin-Derham Hall
Dan Faust So D Greenway to Bloomington Jefferson
Monte French So F St. Cloud Cathedral to Hill-Murray
Ryan Furne Jr F Tartan to Hill-Murray
Troy Grivette So F Eveleth-Gilbert/Mesabi East Virginia/Mountain Iron-Buhl
Mark Guggenberger Sr G Benilde-St. Margaret's to Richfield
Ian Guzzo Sr F Two Harbors to Duluth Marshall
Ryne Hansen So F Wayzata to Marshall
Trent Harris Jr F Proctor to Duluth Marshall
Dylan Heisick-Thole Sr F Duluth Marshall to Duluth Central
Tanner Jirovec Jr F Stillwater to St. Thomas Academy
Joe Johnson Sr F Mounds View to Roseville
Ryan Kittelson Jr G Hill-Murray to Park-Cottage Grove
Aaron Kolquist Sr G Hermantown to Duluth Denfeld
Justin Lee Sr D Two Harbors to Duluth Marshall
Anthony Maroney Jr G Farmington to Rosemount
Zach Mausolf So F Eveleth-Gilbert/Mesabi East to Duluth Marshall
Scott Michela Jr D Duluth East to Duluth Marshall
Mike Morgan Jr G Northfield to Rosemount
Logan Nugent Sr D Mounds View to Hill-Murray
Joe O'Brien Jr D North St. Paul to Hill-Murray
James Saintey Jr F Rosemount to St. Thomas Academy
Drew Schmitt Sr F Centennial to White Bear Lake
Colton Schwartz Jr G St. Francis to Blaine
Derek Stepan Jr F Hastings to Faribault Shattuck-St. Mary's
Ryan Stepan Jr D Hastings to St. Thomas Academy
Ryan Walters Fr F Rosemount to St. Thomas Academy
Nathan Weingarden Jr F Blake to Breck

18-18 if you count players transfering to Shattuck. If not, more kids open enrolled to public schools than private. Thanks for playing.
Third times a charm.

Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:38 pm

stars612 wrote:AHA doesn't need to recruit. The program does it for itself.

And what is this private school, private school, private school nonsense. You guys are stupid to say that only private schools have players that open enroll. Typical Jan Brady mentality. You'll never be as pretty as Marcia, so you just whine about her instead. :D
Stars612 has a point here. The open enrollment policy is abused by both private and public. See Hopkins boys basketball, Kennedy girls basketball, Elk River Hockey, etc. As far as HA goes, I just enjoy watching them play hockey, and I am public school born and bred. If you really want to escalate the private/public debate, take it to the Wait Until Lent thread.

As far as the game last night went, AHA is the best team I have seen thus far, and Matson is the best player I have seen. Granted, I have yet to see Moorhead or Cloquet in length, but if I had to pick the # 1 team right now, it would be AHA.
Last edited by Blue Breeze on Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zachnagle

Post by zachnagle » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:38 pm

ihavesuperpowers wrote:Even though holy angels won by six goals last night i still thought that they didnt play there best hockey. I watched them play against Hill Murray the night before and man did they look unstoppable. They finished off every check, won all the races to loose pucks, and scored when they got the chance and played just a very good, physical hockey game. They just looked last night like they took Centennial a little to lightly and although they buried them alive...I thought they looked a lot better against Hill. But that's just me.
I missed the AHA v HM game but I saw the Roseville game on Tuesday and agree that Holy Angels wasn't playing their best hockey last night. I noticed a few poor passes, some sloppy play at the blue line, and quite a few missed chances last night but it was irrelevant, they just had too much speed and talent for Centennial to handle. The only way I can see Holy Angels not making it to state this year is if they beat themselves.

My pictures from the AHA v Roseville game are here- http://frozensecond.smugmug.com/gallery ... /119241900

Pictures from the championship game will be online later this weekend.

THEGunslinger

Post by THEGunslinger » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:43 pm

funny how things are looked at... I have no team or vested interest! I graduated from a public school... thats all I have to offer you! Again I just say to you.... where do all teh QUALITY HOCKEY TRANSFERS GO! Im so sure the kid that went from hill to park CG was a top player... NOT... I laugh at the disgruntled kid that leaves the private school... its because another kid from another PUBLIC school comes in and takes his place, and back to public he goes! KEEP IT COMMING!

The Slinger

stars612

Post by stars612 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:47 pm

I won't post the whole lists because I don't want to make the thread 26 pages long, but ff you want to go back another year.

2005-06 18-13 public schools win.
04-05 31- 14 public schools win.
03-04 30- 13 public schools win.

It keeps going on I just got tired of counting. All the info is in the archive, year, players, transfers at http://www.geocities.com/dent0110/
Third times a charm.

THEGunslinger

Post by THEGunslinger » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:51 pm

stars612 wrote:I won't post the whole lists because I don't want to make the thread 26 pages long, but ff you want to go back another year.

2005-06 18-13 public schools win.
04-05 31- 14 public schools win.
03-04 30- 13 public schools win.

It keeps going on I just got tired of counting. All the info is in the archive, year, players, transfers at http://www.geocities.com/dent0110/
Again here is what you and others like you dont understand... LOOK AT THE QUALITY OF TRANSFERS! Im sorry but the kid that goes from Hill to Park is not what I call a ringer... Why dont you compile a list of quality players per transfer and then see what that list gives you! Statistis are only what you want them to show my friend! Rate the quality of each transfer with your big fricking list and then come back to me... many of those so called "transfers" would get laughed at at hill or cretin or HA... Lets see you put together that list and post it!

carpenterguy

Post by carpenterguy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:52 pm

I have never had a problem with private schools. In fact I have a bigger problem with the few public schools that abuse open enrollment.

However, it's amazing how many top notch hockey players are all of a sudden going to all of these private schools. It used to be Hill Murray and then a few others that were pretty good. Now we have AHA, Hill, Cretin, Benilde, Breck, Totino, Blake, Lourdes, Duluth Marshall, and a few more.

I guess a lot of families that always intended to enroll their children in a private school, just happened to develop good hockey players. :roll:

stars612

Post by stars612 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:57 pm

Amazingly only about 6 of those kids in all of those lists transfered to AHA. I wonder how many transfered to Warroad? Or Moorhead? Hum... Amazingly a couple of years ago two kids from Hopkins transfered to Warroad. Isn't that a little far just to go to school?
Third times a charm.

state 06

Post by state 06 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:58 pm

please this is not supposed to be a post from me talking about how orono is so good its not that at all but jsut for an example that i know is that taylor matson grew up and played through the orono youth program all the way through his freshman year same thing with adam estoclet who is a good part of the bsm team he played with orono till his sophmore year. but at the same team you cant blame a good kid for wanting to go surround himself with kids around their skill level thats why some people leave high school hockey early

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:00 pm

stars612 wrote:Private schools vs. Public schools transfers.

18-18 if you count players transfering to Shattuck. If not, more kids open enrolled to public schools than private. Thanks for playing.
Your "statistic" is more than slightly misleading, considering how many public schools there are versus private schools. A more telling stat is that a far higher percentage of private school players were transfers than those who transferred to public schools. Simple math.

Thank you for playing. It's not often where an argument is so easily rebutted.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006