Little Falls

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Really that good?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 35

HShockeywatcher

Little Falls

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Little falls could go 23-2 with their schedule easy this year. This is totally different than the thread about their schedule. We all know it's easy, but I'm wondering if they are actually any good. The loss they have is against Virginia 3-7, but it was the first game of the season. They'll probably easily get to state, but from people who have seen them are they any good or just beating up on the little guys they have on their schedule?
cu@darink

Post by cu@darink »

They are pretty good. Festler and Hanowski are the real deal. Older Hanowski and Jorgenson are also very good. Can their sophomore goaltender play consistant? Yet to be seen. Berglund and Nelson both made 102 camp as 91's. Berglund played in Natl. camp. Can they play older? This team could get better as the season moves along or it could just be a pretender. I think the 3 sophomore "D" and the goalie are crucial to them making a run.
casualfan

Post by casualfan »

Very good observations. Like others have stated before need a dramatic improvement on schedule
HShockeywatcher

I'm sure they will. But two years ago people probably said who's Little Falls. So they're working with what they've got. And their section sucks, so if all they're playing for is getting to State, they got that. Plus with such a good record they'll probably get the #4 seed.
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

HShockeywatcher wrote:I'm sure they will. But two years ago people probably said who's Little Falls. So they're working with what they've got. And their section sucks, so if all they're playing for is getting to State, they got that. Plus with such a good record they'll probably get the #4 seed.
Here are the ranking numbers. I think its about time to stop bashing this section as the worst. LF is a good team, but does not play a very tough schedule (ranking 80 LITTLE FALLS 16.22), hence the inflated team stats. I'm sure that their AD did not have the other top Class A teams calling him non stop to get a game scheduled, so they schedule who they can. Maybe these other teams should start scheduling LF.

Toughest Sections
RANK SECTION AVG RANK
1 6AA 18.27
2 3AA 17.99
3 7AA 17.11
4 2AA 17.05
5 8AA 16.99
6 4AA 16.97
7 4A 16.25
8 5AA 15.67
9 5A 15.48
10 7A 15.37
11 6A 15.36
12 3A 15.19
13 8A 15.05
14 1AA 14.84
15 2A 14.07
16 1A 11.46
casualfan

Post by casualfan »

Nice information RL-I think LF needs to use Red Wing as a model in scheduling when they had their run of D-1 players
MNPrepHockey1

Post by MNPrepHockey1 »

Little Falls is highly overrated. My theory behind this is being based on 2 factors their god awful strength of schedule, and they have one solid line, the rest of the team without the hanowski's and festler are very poor. Once again they will return to the state tournament only to get blown out by a team that has put together 3 solid varsity lines, compared to Little Falls' one great line followed by 2 horrendous lines and very subpar D
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Although I wouldn't go that far with it but I think MNPrep is on the right track. Their one line carries the team night in and night out and for most teams who rely on one line that is their downfall but the Flyer's top line is so much farther ahead of everyone else that they get it done. Their schedule is average, not great not worthless, average or slightly below. They'll make it to state but once they get there I don't think they have the depth to win a game. Although who knows, it's called March madness for a reason, right? :roll:
HShockeywatcher

RLStars, using those numbers, although interesting, are lying with statistics.

The reason 4A is so high is because most of their teams are mediocre, where as the sections that have the top teams, 7, 8, and 2, also have teams that haven't won a game yet. 7 has Eveleth, Silver Bay, and Two Harbors, and there are teams in the others. Basically no one is 4 is horrible, but none of their schedules are tough, and they don't have anyone that sucks. AND they have the smallest sections. Many reasons that is flawed. If you'd like me to change what I was saying:

They don't have anyone top in their section. Being a good 4A team doesn't prepare you for the others.
gutcheck00

Post by gutcheck00 »

I think Little Falls is close to the real deal. The only question is their unexperienced defense and their inconsistent goalie. Their offense is one of the best in the state not just because of Festler and the Hanowski brothers, but because their other 2 lines are very solid(underrated without question). The thing about their 2nd and 3rd lines is that they may not score a ton of goals, but they rarely get scored on. If anything the 1st line is the least discipline when it comes to playing defense and they will get scored on more than the 2nd and 3rd lines. They will also outscore their opponents tremendously this whole season, no matter what team. I think the reccent game against New Prague(a very good team) showed what this Little Falls team could potentially be this year. The played good from offense to defense to goalie and worked a very good team. Their biggest test will be Brainerd on 1/16. I believe that game will give everyone a better understanding of how good Little Falls really is and/or how good they really could be come State Tournament time. As for their easy schedule, it's the way it has been since they were the #8 seed in section 4A(wow that's bad!!), so please, lighten up on that and understand that they are(i believe) trying the best they can to get better teams into their schedule! The last reason why I believe Little Falls could be the real deal is because of their coaching staff, a very smart experienced group that knows how to get their kids to play to their potential at the right time of the year. I don't think their goal is just GETTING to the state tournament anymore, but producing in the state tournament, and that is what will drive this team to be successful.
goal30

Post by goal30 »

The Hanowski Brothers are both very talented along with a couple of others. They are decent, but who knows what could happen if they played tougher teams, will they be ready for the state tournament? Or will hit them like a fly smashing into the windshield of a semitruck?
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Good points Gut espically about their second line. True that it's not all about scoring, being on the + side of the +/- is very important. The only problem is that at State the second lines of the teams they will be facing will be much better than the teams that they are currently facing and it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up against a well balanced team
Mr. Bo Dangles

Post by Mr. Bo Dangles »

I really don't think it would be hard to make a tougher schedule. The AD should be calling teams right now. Get them into 2-3 yr contracts for games, and then go back to this weak schedule. The cupboard is pretty bare after this sophmore class.
gutcheck00

Post by gutcheck00 »

The way I see it is if the 2nd abd 3rd lines go give up a goal or two(which is uncommon now), the first line, as strong as they are, with most likely always have a close-to +3 or 4 throughout the game, thus making it a close game between good teams. I really think this team is underrestimated by many.
cu@darink

Post by cu@darink »

Sorry Gut, but the first line did not give up a goal in the Christmas tourney.
great hockey mind

Post by great hockey mind »

With that powerhouse tourny they should not have given up a goal.
gutcheck00

Post by gutcheck00 »

LF over Tech 5-2...Ugly game by both teams especially LF. They did not look very good tonight.