St Thomas @ Richfield 1-6-07

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Cadets
83%
Spartans
17%

Total votes: 24

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

That better?
HShockeywatcher

--
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gongshow

Post by gongshow »

As a former player of Richfield I can tell you number of things:

The score of the game did not shock me at all. I noticed many of you comparing scores between HM and St. Thomas and HM and Richfield, but Richfield matches up much better with St. Thomas than HM. So don’t use those comparisons when looking at this game. Last year Richfield got smoke by HM in both games but only lost by 1 to St. Thomas in both games.

The score also didn’t surprise me because, Richfield hates the cadets and always wants to beat them as much, or more, than any other team on their schedule. This is because the games have playoff and seeding implications and because we plan ol’ just don’t like em. The Richfield coaches scout St. Thomas more than any other team. We would also watch a good amount of film on St. Thomas. I remember taking the ice against them and knowing what they were going to do and who they wanted to get the puck to in almost every situation. We always kept the games close because we wanted to beat them so badly and because of the scouting (they never change their game plan… they force other teams to adjust to them), but at some point raw skill takes over. We were always able to keep it close but the cadets pure skill was always too much for us to handle.

I was at the game on Saturday and it reminded me of games in the past. Richfield worked hard, obviously knew the plays, attempted to keep St. Thomas’ shots outside, cleared men out, had great goaltending, but couldn’t quite win. As much as I hated, and still hate, St. Thomas, they are a very good team.
topshelf10

Post by topshelf10 »

Richfield definitely does matchup well with STA. The 3-0 score is a little misleading. Richfield's goalie, Sam Frank, played very well and kept Richfield in it. The play was in Richfield end the entire game, but the interesting thing is that Richfiled ultimately could have gotten lucky and won based on two scrambles in front that could have been goals and then Rooney for STA got a major at the end. Although STA really outplayed them, Richfield could have gotten lucky and won. That's why we play the game.
HShockeywatcher

gongshow, just curious why St Thomas is so hated by Richfield. I know they are in the same section and were in basketball also until Richfield opted up, but is that it? Or is it the private school thing, or what? More power to ya for keepin' it close and such, just curious why them?

Did Crandall get many shots on goal, or was this more of "the offensive helped him win it not the defense"?
gongshow

Post by gongshow »

HShockeywatcher:
I can only speak based on my experience on the team, but I would have to think this years team has a similar view. I think the teams I was on hated them for a number of smaller reasons. Like everyone else, we don't like them because they are a private school and an all boys school. They are also in our conference and section which puts a larger emphasis on each game. They are bunch of fancy dans (my term for a team that is fast and good a stick handling but doesnt play physical whatsoever), and a good team. Also, the first time we played them last year there was an argument between the coaches after the game on center ice which led to them having to be separated... kinda fueled the fire.

Crandall saw 24 shots (8 in every period) during the game. I few of those shots were quality and were very good scoring chances for Richfield, but the majority came from outside and there was not many rebounds. Crandall played well, but the cadets win 95% of their games based on offense (not defense or goaltending) and this game was no different.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

gongshow

This is exactly how AHA plays, fast skating, non hitting and relying mostly on offense and good defense. But why hate them because they are a private school and all boys? AHA is private and I can understand the hatred because they are so close to Richfield. But I do not know of many Richfield players that have left Richfield for AHA or St. Thomas.... I know of a few in the past few years. I was looking for the upset from Richfield, based on how they played last year and the fact that Frank could lose the starting position when Guggenberger comes back as well as the team has been working hard under coach Harris.... Just my observations.
HShockeywatcher

I have been to two St Thomas games, Edina and Marshall. The reason St Thomas didn't get slattered in the Edina game was Crandall. I would say defense this year isn't their high point, but to take much away from Crandall is just unfair. I know some have pointed out, though, that the games he does really well he doesn't see many shots. But thanks for the insight. Not sure why you'd look down on people because there's no girls in their school, but all the other stuff makes sense.
gongshow

Post by gongshow »

HShockeywatcher:
no doubt that cradall is a good goalie... hes just not the reason they win so many games. They are an offesive minded team. I know that by the time crandall graduates from St. Thomas he will have a lot of experience (including state) and will be a very good goalie.

like I said before, these are my insights to past Richfield teams so they may not truely reflect the current team. I dont want people to mistake that or give them some bad rep they dont deserve.

Zamman:
the teams I was on didnt soley dislike St. Thomas or AHA because they are private schools, but it was something that added to the overall dislike. Its the typical public vs. private thing. In the case of St. Thomas it is just one more thing in addition to the things i stated in my last post. My teams always knew that the cadets and stars were (and continue to be) great teams.

I am sure the current team appreciates your support (at the rink and on here) and willingness to defend us (next to your stars of course), as did the teams I was on.