A vs AA for the big one

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

What do you think?

Yes I like it - winner of A should play winner of AA for THE title
60%
No, I don't like it. Keep it the way it is.
40%

Total votes: 30

Kurdatz

Post by Kurdatz »

Zeke16 wrote:I don't get the big draw for this game. The AA title game has way more interest for me that some "scrimmage" after the state tourney.
It's the "David vs Goliath" concept that I'm talking about.
Duluth Denfeld Alum
tUMD Alum
former sect 7 ref
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I would be in favor of the game if the class A champ would then have to go into AA for at least 3 years. (no matter the outcome of the game)

Since the AA champ would have nothing to gain from the game, there should be a price to pay for the A school.
Zeke16

Post by Zeke16 »

I like it, GR
Kurdatz

Post by Kurdatz »

Wow! Now theres some stakes!
Duluth Denfeld Alum
tUMD Alum
former sect 7 ref
hipcheck

david /goliath

Post by hipcheck »

Not necessaily David/Goliath.

If the Rams win the AA(which is possible) and the Warriors win A(which is possible) you would have a David/David game, but it should certainly not be played in the Metro area.

The Ralph in Grand Forks would be a very suitable site even if AHA played Edina. Let the Metro fans travel and fill the hotels for one game.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I agree.
When there was one class, some of the small schools more than held their own.
It's not that the A winner is inferior to the AA winner every year.
But, that is the perception.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

hawkfan, although I have no idea what you're talking about, I know you're referring to me. Not sure why though, because I'm always the one who says "they aren't played on paper that's why we play the game" and other sorta stuff like that.

One thing you all are forgetting is what the State Tournament is. It is a 64 team bracket where the one team that is crowned champion is the one who did no lose in any of the 6 games they played. On average AA teams are better, so how does the A team who beat 6 A teams all of a sudden get to play the team who beat 6 AA teams? It doesn't prove anything either. Good A teams have beaten good AA teams. If the AA team won, people would say that's what should happen, and if the A team won people would make excuses and say it was lucky or something like that.

Two different classes cannot be compared.
DFORCE10

Post by DFORCE10 »

I agree
HShockeywatcher

I completely agree with everything you said aside from where you throw in the "R word". Take that out, or replace 'private' with 'both public and private'.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

HShockeywatcher wrote:I completely agree with everything you said aside from where you throw in the "R word". Take that out, or replace 'private' with 'both public and private'.
The post was just taken care of.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
HShockeywatcher

Oh, I saw that. I don't think deleting the whole thing was needed, just that part, but it's your call. Gracias.
Stiches3507

Post by Stiches3507 »

What the heck...why was the delted...cuz i said recruit...everyone knows they do...why try to hide it...gosh...that was a serious post...ugh...w.e
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Stiches3507 wrote:What the heck...why was the delted...cuz i said recruit...everyone knows they do...why try to hide it...gosh...that was a serious post...ugh...w.e
This is very simple. There is a topic for recruiting. Want to talk about it? Do it there. That particular topic was created to keep that crap out of all the other topics. Any posts I see in other topics where someone plays the R word will be deleted. If an individual keeps it up and doesn't get the message, they're gone.

That is all.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Stiches3507

Post by Stiches3507 »

Omg i didnt even have that intention...it was the last thing i said...i was talking about something completly different...dont delete something just because you dont want to see that...when it actually was related to the topic and ive read it more than once already in this board...but thanks tho
gatzke

Post by gatzke »

The problem is simply that 9 times out of 10 the AA school will crush the A champ (exception of the '05 Warriors). If your an A school and you make a trip to state and win, that is the greatest feeling in the world of hockey. It's not right to completely demoralize that team a week later when AHA (recruits and all) kick the living crap out of them. I'm all for moving up to AA to play with the best, and the whole single A vs. AA championship game, but it's never gonna happen.

I think they should just have a 16 team tourney, make it really interesting. Then teams like Warroad, St. Thomas, and Duluth Marshall can really show what they're made of against the big dogs. Could make for some really interesting tournements. Just a thought
Bayhlow

Post by Bayhlow »

the state tournament should be all one. redo the sections so all teams play in 1 section say 7 tournament. the top 2 teams in the section go to state with the loser getting a lower seed.
hast-h-fan

Post by hast-h-fan »

A true class a school would not compete due to the enrollment size, unless they had a bunch of kids that were very talented stay together and pull off an upset. Now the class A school that seems to pick up these talented players and run around beating up small schools might do it. We all know who they are. Never happen.
Ankles Pierre, Jr.

Post by Ankles Pierre, Jr. »

So that Class A can earn more respect, there should be a duel of champions:
1. Class A versus AA JV
2. Class A versus Girls Champion
3. Move up or shut up!
PioneerMAN

Post by PioneerMAN »

Class a would get slaughtered