Mike Eaves. Good coach?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hilltopper99

Mike Eaves. Good coach?

Post by Hilltopper99 »

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on Mike Eaves. He won a national title last season, but some have suggested in other posts that his system is suspect. So what do you think?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

While I'm obviously not a Badger fan, I think you would have to give Eaves credit for the job he has done. I am also not a big fan of their current system, however, it is hard to argue the results. Defensive minded teams, while not always exciting to watch, are very successful with the right players.
I would still rather watch up and down action any day. :)
Ole the Goalie

Post by Ole the Goalie »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:While I'm obviously not a Badger fan, I think you would have to give Eaves credit for the job he has done. I am also not a big fan of their current system, however, it is hard to argue the results. Defensive minded teams, while not always exciting to watch, are very successful with the right players.
I would still rather watch up and down action any day. :)
I agree 100% - thats why I watch the gophers. You indian fans are so smart!!
wisconsinprephockey

Post by wisconsinprephockey »

You have to give Eaves credit, in his fourth year at the U he had already won a National Title, with more to come. I don't know who has been sayin that his system doesn't work but whoever it was doesn't get out much.

Bottom line defense wins championships. The only downside to Eaves' system is, it is more difficult to recruit offensive talent. On the brightside all Eaves needs to put together a contender is a couple strong scorers. Unlike the Gophers who need a couple solid lines of strong scorers to put together a contender because of the higher risk offensive system they run.

But Eaves' name alone helps him recruit for those that know hockey his reputation precedes him, kids want to come play for this guy, and are excited to play for him. You will notice since Eaves has been at the helm the Badgers have had excellent Defense and Goaltender recruiting classes, with some of the best recruiting classes we've ever seen, they were just missing the scorers this year, but Eaves will hang around and Wisconsin will contend again in the near future, you can count on that.

If Eaves stays at the UW watch for him to be Wisconsins all-time win leader as a coach. Thats the caliber coach he is.

Also want to add it only took his system two years to win a gold with the NTDP at the IIHF World Under-18 Championships(its first ever in the event.)
wisconsinprephockey

Just wanted to throw out another stat

B.E. (Before Eaves)
31-9-1
22-15-4
16-19-4

see a trend? well watch it revers itself...

A.E. (After Eaves)
13-23-4
22-13-8
23-14-4
30-10-3 (National Title)
19-18-4 (lowest goals against in WCHA)
Gopher Blog

Re: Mike Eaves. Good coach?

Post by Gopher Blog »

Hilltopper99 wrote:I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on Mike Eaves. He won a national title last season, but some have suggested in other posts that his system is suspect. So what do you think?
He is a solid coach. But I believe he is middle for the pack in the WCHA. He relies on a defensive system that really leaves little room for error by his team. He really poorly planned for this season. He didn't have his bases covered at all to protect for pro departures last off-season.

His system will keep his team in many games because it is all about clogging things up and slowing the game down. That will keep a less talented team in more games. However, if the NCAA ever gets around to calling penalties more like the NHL now does (i.e. really cracking down on obstruction), his teams will be in trouble because that system will become much less effective.

Eaves biggest weakness is offense. His system encourages very little creativity and is very conservative. He has basically had two good offensive players in his tenure (Earl and Pavelski) and it looks like he'll have one in Turris next year (although I wouldn't be shocked if Turris is gone after a year once he gets a taste of Eaves' system).

It will be interesting to see if Eaves has the capability of adapting because I think it is only a matter of time before the NCAA starts moving toward encouraging a more wide open game like the NHL as opposed to the trapping, slow it down tactics of the NHL prior to the lockout.
wisconsinprephockey

Gopher Blog wrote: Eaves biggest weakness is offense. His system encourages very little creativity and is very conservative. He has basically had two good offensive players in his tenure (Earl and Pavelski) and it looks like he'll have one in Turris next year (although I wouldn't be shocked if Turris is gone after a year once he gets a taste of Eaves' system).
Actually... you may want to add Rene Bourque, Ryan MacMurchy

and about the system that he runs, it is not about just clogging things up and slowing down the game as you put it, its just not about running wide open and out of position, Eaves defensive minded system is about disciplined play, staying in the passing lanes (instead of chasing forwards around the zone and getting caught out of position) physical play while in your own zone, neutrilizing the forwards in front of the net, and patiently waiting for a mistake your team can capitilize on.

are you starting to see what happens when you speak of what you do not know?
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

wisconsinprephockey wrote:Actually... you may want to add Rene Bourque, Ryan MacMurchy
I guess one 30 point season by a player qualifies as really good in Badger country these days. Never mind never hitting 30 points in those other three years of college they had, right? I guess that goes to show you if you don't have good offense, you aren't familiar with what qualifies. lol

I am sure Eaves will keep his team competitive. His clog it up, slow it down system will keep his teams in games as long as the NCAA doesn't crack down on the obstruction stuff as much as the NHL does. But when it comes to where he stacks up in the WCHA, he is middle of the pack right now. Heck, Brian Elliott may deserve more credit for the Badgers title year than Eaves. Cause we saw how things fell apart on Eaves when Elliott was out of the line up for a few weeks in 05-06. That system looked horrible with anything less than a great goalie. It will be interesting to see how bad things may get if Connelly doesn't step up.
are you starting to see what happens when you speak of what you do not know?
Yes. Every time you post, I realize you don't know as much as you think. :lol:
breakout

Post by breakout »

Gopher Blog wrote:
Hilltopper99 wrote:I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on Mike Eaves. He won a national title last season, but some have suggested in other posts that his system is suspect. So what do you think?
He is a solid coach. But I believe he is middle for the pack in the WCHA. He relies on a defensive system that really leaves little room for error by his team. He really poorly planned for this season. He didn't have his bases covered at all to protect for pro departures last off-season.

His system will keep his team in many games because it is all about clogging things up and slowing the game down. That will keep a less talented team in more games. However, if the NCAA ever gets around to calling penalties more like the NHL now does (i.e. really cracking down on obstruction), his teams will be in trouble because that system will become much less effective.

Eaves biggest weakness is offense. His system encourages very little creativity and is very conservative. He has basically had two good offensive players in his tenure (Earl and Pavelski) and it looks like he'll have one in Turris next year (although I wouldn't be shocked if Turris is gone after a year once he gets a taste of Eaves' system).

It will be interesting to see if Eaves has the capability of adapting because I think it is only a matter of time before the NCAA starts moving toward encouraging a more wide open game like the NHL as opposed to the trapping, slow it down tactics of the NHL prior to the lockout.
I love reading your input GB. You are very in tuned to hockey.

Going off topic a bit, I would like to see penalties called in college hockey like the NHL. Way too much un-called hooking and interference going on in the college hockey ranks these days.

The un-calls are good for teams like Wisconsin. Clogg up the middle, get in the way and use your stick to stop progress. Allowing that creates a bad hockey product.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Gopher Blog wrote:

I love reading your input GB. You are very in tuned to hockey.

Going off topic a bit, I would like to see penalties called in college hockey like the NHL. Way too much un-called hooking and interference going on in the college hockey ranks these days.

The un-calls are good for teams like Wisconsin. Clogg up the middle, get in the way and use your stick to stop progress. Allowing that creates a bad hockey product.
theref

Post by theref »

Wisconsinprep - I'm glad you are so high on U-Dubya and Wisconsin hockey all together. Hopefully one day you guys can start to compete with Minnesota on every level.

By the way, you sound a little biased in your ranting about the Badgers, but I guess that's what makes a good fan.

:P
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

theref wrote:Wisconsinprep - I'm glad you are so high on U-Dubya and Wisconsin hockey all together. Hopefully one day you guys can start to compete with Minnesota on every level.

By the way, you sound a little biased in your ranting about the Badgers, but I guess that's what makes a good fan.

:P
I don't know, give credit where credit is due. I hate teams that constantly trap too but the objective is to win and Eaves has done a pretty good job of this. If Eaves's defensive style is criticized then the Wild/Devils and more than a handful of other NHL teams should also be criticized.