FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO WATCH HOCKEY!

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mhjinsider

Post by mhjinsider »

We are asking players, coaches, fans and hockey families to join us in an important effort. VERSUS, the home of the National Hockey League and the 2007 NHL Playoffs is not presently included in the basic cable packages of nearly 50% of American homes. As a result, millions of people are deprived of the opportunity to watch the best players in the world perform on the biggest stage in hockey.

The exposure of the NHL Playoffs is important to every level of hockey in America. The lack of broadcast availability, even in the most avid hockey cities in the nation, can negatively impact the growth of our game.

Simply visit www.usahockeymagazine.com/versus.html for more information on how you can join the fight.

Our goal is simple. To have hockey fans across the nation convince the management of local cable outlets to add VERSUS to basic cable package at no additional cost.
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

What do the cable companies get if they are supposed to provide this channel at no cost? Versus is not a major player, so if offered, would most likely have to be an ala carte channel. [/url][/list]
shooter57

Post by shooter57 »

they get my 99 dollars a month, I don't think they need more. Do you? the channel would be appreciated...........
hockeydad

Re: FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO WATCH HOCKEY!

Post by hockeydad »

mhjinsider wrote:FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO WATCH HOCKEY!

"We hold these truths to be self-evident.

That all men are created equal
That they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights
That among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of a cable system that broadcasts NHL Hockey"

Works for me, but probably not for the cable companies.

When the playoffs were about to start, I called my cable company and added the $5 a month sports package so I could watch the playoffs.

Stop being cheap and kick in.
HastingsDangler02

yea

Post by HastingsDangler02 »

I don't know why this isn't in the Cafe and not here but alright don't matter to me :wink:

Anyways I have Versus so I am good but are the Stanley Cup playoffs not played on CBS or ABC or whatever? not all of the playoffs are but i am pretty sure the final matchup is, lets say the NFL playoffs were best of 7 my guess is they wouldn't play all the games on any of the main 20 channels or whatever either

And, subtract any homeless people, people who never watch TV, people who do not own a TV, or whatever else, I am guessing over 50% have cable, and if you don't have cable and you own a TV I think its time to catch up with technology or get a higher paying job. :D

Also, like hockeydad said I don't think 5 bucks is going to kill you
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

It amazes me the topics that get switched to other threads and then the ones that stay.

It's not just another $5. For many people it's another $30 or so to get the next cable package.

The thing that needs to happen, that may be the demise of many channels, is the have a la carte cable. If all you want is FSN, ESPN, and VERSUS, then you only have to pay for those channels. But we'll see.

The big thing is that it's a money game and a popularity game. Of the 4 main sports, sadly, which one is the least popular in America? Hockey. Well, ESPN didn't pick up the deal. Versus did. And they still don't have games on every night, which has confused me. NBA gets on TNT and channels like CBS, NFL gets on FOX, CBS and ESPN, MLB gets on ESPN, and FSN, and NHL on Versus and FSN. NHL you can at least watch some games without cable, but baseball you at totally screwed without FSN or ESPN.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

HShockeywatcher wrote:It amazes me the topics that get switched to other threads and then the ones that stay.

It's not just another $5. For many people it's another $30 or so to get the next cable package.

The thing that needs to happen, that may be the demise of many channels, is the have a la carte cable. If all you want is FSN, ESPN, and VERSUS, then you only have to pay for those channels. But we'll see.

The big thing is that it's a money game and a popularity game. Of the 4 main sports, sadly, which one is the least popular in America? Hockey. Well, ESPN didn't pick up the deal. Versus did. And they still don't have games on every night, which has confused me. NBA gets on TNT and channels like CBS, NFL gets on FOX, CBS and ESPN, MLB gets on ESPN, and FSN, and NHL on Versus and FSN. NHL you can at least watch some games without cable, but baseball you at totally screwed without FSN or ESPN.
ESPN made an offer. The NHL chose versus. Please get your facts right (and you wonder why people tear you apart). And the NHL is the one to blame for this, not the major cable companies. The NHL has contibuted to its own demise. Ever notice how anything that was on ESPN gets to be on SportsCenter a lot longer? Do most people watch SportsCenter? Why the hell wouldn't the NHL want to be on ESPN even if they get a little less $. They want the $, but the # of fans didn't seem to matter to them.

Btw, baseball is on My29, TBS, WGN...

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

"they get my 99 dollars a month, I don't think they need more. Do you? the channel would be appreciated..........."

Face it. The NHL and it's ratings are far behind the NFL,MLB, & the NBA. That is why ESPN wouldn't offer up more for the rights to broadcast 2+ months of the playoffs. Versus is not a major player (yet) and most cable providers know it would not be profitable for them to offer this in any fashion other than as an ala carte offering.

Easily, the MAJORITY of cable subscribers would not want to pay more on their bill for something they wouldn't watch.

Me... most games I've seen this spring have been on CBC - now that the Wild bowed out in the first round.

For most of us who want to see more games, it looks like we buck up and pay for a package - or at least quit whining about it.
dangla.

Post by dangla. »

hah sucks for whoever doesnt have versus thats all ive been watchin
woody22

Post by woody22 »

There was an article in the Canadian paper in the "Globe Sports" section. It was saying that Hockey in the U.S is dying. You watch TV in Canada and 25% of the time its hockey. Its hard to find it in the U.S. Also it was saying how only a few newspapers from MN and the rest of the Country were sending reporters, and not even for the whole series. Most newspapers from places like Chicago, New York, California, and many others are not sending a single person to watch, they say it is to expensive.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

I AGREE 100% ON THIS THREAD I WOULD LOVE TO JOIN THIS FIGHT ITS TOTAL BULL#@#$ THAT WE CANT WATCH THE PLAYOFFS ON CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

I am passing the word as I write. this is bull, we are hard working Americans that deserve to watch some great Hockey. Which for my opinion there is nothing better then NHL playoff Hockey!!! Game On!!!!
pacman

Post by pacman »

its kinda the same thing with some of these cable companies who dont want to carry the Big Ten Network, hell all of the gophers games will be on BTN coming in at least 3 years.
sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 »

All of the NHL playoff games will be on the Center Ice package, but you still should not have to pay extra to get Versus or the NHL network. If you are paying for cable, these channels should come with it.