Best Tournament and Trophy

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Patchy the Pirate

Best Tournament and Trophy

Post by Patchy the Pirate »

Now that the year is wrapping up, let's take a quick survey: Who hosts the best tournament and more importantly, who has the best trophy?

My vote is for White Bear Lake. Not only do they host a good weekend, complete with team hot dog eating contest and full video production of the games (available on DVD for only 10 bucks), but everyone knows they have the best trophy in the metro - The Bear.
If you don't have one, we all know you secretly cry at night because you don't. Long live the Moose Goheen Tournament series!

Additionally, they have this guy......
who is right out of the movie "Slapshot" (except he's a good player). My kids have played against his teams for many years and I have yet to see him playing the game without a big ol' "I love hockey" grin on his face. Any association who can imprint the perm-a-grin like that knows how to do hockey.

Close runners up include Anoka with the Tornado Trophy - pretty darn cool, the Brooklyn Park with the Pirate (sorry mates, even the Pirate can't out do the Bear).

The challenge - if you are in an association that has some lame, off-the-shelf plastic POS trophy, get on the ball. Take the bull by the horns! Lobby the coordinators to get some serious booty for awards. Get your association to buy trophies that teams talk about and travel days to contend for. Start a hot dog eating contest. Make it as fun as the game.

Keep shooting the puck as long as you can breathe....

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

Patchy
Last edited by Patchy the Pirate on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueblood

WBL dude

Post by blueblood »

It's Napoleon Dynamite on skates!

If this kid has a grin on his face all the time as you say he does, he's one of a few who get the big picture of sports by having fun playing a game you love, no matter what level you're playing.
Tp10

Post by Tp10 »

Hey blueblood... who are you? or what team are you from? just wondering...
Mermaid Man

Post by Mermaid Man »

Tp10 wrote:Hey blueblood... who are you? or what team are you from? just wondering...
dude he is from "Skipperville" which means is on minnetonka
blueblood

skipperville

Post by blueblood »

not "on" minnetonka. from minnetonka.
Mermaid Man

Post by Mermaid Man »

whatever you know what i meant.
Mermaid Man

Re: WBL dude

Post by Mermaid Man »

blueblood wrote:It's Napoleon Dynamite on skates!

If this kid has a grin on his face all the time as you say he does, he's one of a few who get the big picture of sports by having fun playing a game you love, no matter what level you're playing.
you should have seen napoleon during the state championship. he was lightin' lakeville kids up left and right.
GingerKid69

Post by GingerKid69 »

State championship game,
The medals they gave both teams was the state of MN outline with the word "Hockey" in the middle with 2009 at the bottom.
The state winner medals just said Sate at the bottom with the 2009, didnt even say "Champions" or anything else like that, cheaply funny :lol:
Mermaid Man

Post by Mermaid Man »

you are supposed to get them engraved yourself. i had my state championship medal engraved when i won in bantams. it isnt very hard just go to a sports store and tell them to engrave "2009 Jr. Gold B Champions"
freighttrain

Post by freighttrain »

GingerKid69 wrote:State championship game,
The medals they gave both teams was the state of MN outline with the word "Hockey" in the middle with 2009 at the bottom.
The state winner medals just said Sate at the bottom with the 2009, didnt even say "Champions" or anything else like that, cheaply funny :lol:
Its because the first place teams medals are gold, second place silver, and third place bronze. We had people say the same thing when we won State in 07. Had to explain to them why it didnt say champions.