Rules Question

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

BlaineJGA

Rules Question

Post by BlaineJGA »

If your only goalie gets hurt and breaks his leg. And you have no other goalie can you pick up another goalie from any team you want and he will be your new starting goalie. Then when you go to regionals you pick up a second goalie off your U16 team as your back up. I was told that if you pick a goalie up after your only goalie is hurt. He has to be from your association and must play the rest of the season. I would like some clarification on this.
GordonBombay

Re: Rules Question

Post by GordonBombay »

BlaineJGA wrote:If your only goalie gets hurt and breaks his leg. And you have no other goalie can you pick up another goalie from any team you want and he will be your new starting goalie. Then when you go to regionals you pick up a second goalie off your U16 team as your back up. I was told that if you pick a goalie up after your only goalie is hurt. He has to be from your association and must play the rest of the season. I would like some clarification on this.
I wonder why... :lol:
BlaineJGA

Post by BlaineJGA »

GordonBombay wrote:
BlaineJGA wrote:If your only goalie gets hurt and breaks his leg. And you have no other goalie can you pick up another goalie from any team you want and he will be your new starting goalie. Then when you go to regionals you pick up a second goalie off your U16 team as your back up. I was told that if you pick a goalie up after your only goalie is hurt. He has to be from your association and must play the rest of the season. I would like some clarification on this.
I wonder why... :lol:
I know why and guess what we lost the game not a big deal. But it would be unfair for every other team you play when we are told one thing and then the opposite of that happens. I bet you would be wondering the same thing if you were on the other end. but since you cant give clarification on this you can stay out of it. BTW not much can be down about it now since the game is over would just like to know the rule.
GordonBombay

Post by GordonBombay »

No hard feelings BlaineJGA, I was just poking fun at you. Probably wasn't the best idea considering the frustration of your season being over. I can see how the whole thing might confuse someone, but I do believe it is legal to use another JGA goalie as long as they wear their own jersey (like the Wessy's goalie did). Of course I'm just assuming it's legal because I do not know how White Bear would of been to do it for their first 2 games if it wasn't.
BlaineJGA

Post by BlaineJGA »

GordonBombay wrote:No hard feelings BlaineJGA, I was just poking fun at you. Probably wasn't the best idea considering the frustration of your season being over. I can see how the whole thing might confuse someone, but I do believe it is legal to use another JGA goalie as long as they wear their own jersey (like the Wessy's goalie did). Of course I'm just assuming it's legal because I do not know how White Bear would of been to do it for their first 2 games if it wasn't.
I understand it is true but we were told by our district. That you need to take a goalie within your association before going out of your association. That is where I am confused and would like a correct ruling since the Tournament director was not sure how this was done when you had another goalie from WBL on your bench. Yes I know he was a U16 goalie. That is why I am asking clairfication. So be it yes our season is over and yes WBL beat us. But I am not calling it unfair because he has played 3 games for WBL. But to have 2 people explain it with 2 total different answers I was wondering where I could find it in the Rule book so I have the right nformation. I have looked and could find nothing on it
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

Not sure what rule book JG uses,but when we went to regions for B1 Bantams a few years ago we only had one goalie,we wanted a goalie from St. Cloud to be our backup goalie,we were told we had to use a goalie from our own association.
BlaineJGA

Post by BlaineJGA »

MnPride2 wrote:Not sure what rule book JG uses,but when we went to regions for B1 Bantams a few years ago we only had one goalie,we wanted a goalie from St. Cloud to be our backup goalie,we were told we had to use a goalie from our own association.
That is what was told to me by our district so thats why i brought this up.
BlaineJGA

Post by BlaineJGA »

Ok I guess this post can be deleted. I talked to the MHL director and you try to start in your association but you can also pick up a goalie from another team as long as he is not coming from a higher level.
harley93

Rules Question

Post by harley93 »

This is the rule quoted dierctly from the Minnesota Hockey Rule Book on this subject. The MHL states this rule in its handbook. The rule is in Section VI Team Composition C. 1-5

It states:

C. It is recommended that each team in the state and regional tournaments dress two goalies. If the team
does not have two goalies, a spare goalie may be chosen from a team in its league or association, and
such a "spare goalie" may be chosen from the same or a lower but not higher playing classification.
1. If a "spare" goalie is not available from within a team’s league or association, a "spare" goalie may
then be chosen from among the teams in its district; or failing the above, from its regional.
2. Such a "spare" goalie may play ONLY in the case of injury to the regular goalie.
3. The “spare” goalie shall wear the light or dark jersey of the in-season team on which they are rostered.
4. The "spare" goalie retains their eligibility with their parent team or organization at their original classifica-
tion for the balance of the playing season whether or not they actually play in the tournament in question.
5. The "spare" goalie must be properly registered on a MH team for the season in question to be eligible
to participate in a regional or state tournament. Proof of registration, such as a copy of their parent
team's registration roster will be required during tournament check-in. NOTE: the objective of the rule
is to allow a team to obtain a back-up goalkeeper during regional and state MH play. The rule is not
intended to permit teams to improve their goaltending through drafting of an additional player.

We followed the rule...
BlaineJGA

Post by BlaineJGA »

harley93 wrote:This is the rule quoted dierctly from the Minnesota Hockey Rule Book on this subject. The MHL states this rule in its handbook. The rule is in Section VI Team Composition C. 1-5

It states:

C. It is recommended that each team in the state and regional tournaments dress two goalies. If the team
does not have two goalies, a spare goalie may be chosen from a team in its league or association, and
such a "spare goalie" may be chosen from the same or a lower but not higher playing classification.
1. If a "spare" goalie is not available from within a team’s league or association, a "spare" goalie may
then be chosen from among the teams in its district; or failing the above, from its regional.
2. Such a "spare" goalie may play ONLY in the case of injury to the regular goalie.
3. The “spare” goalie shall wear the light or dark jersey of the in-season team on which they are rostered.
4. The "spare" goalie retains their eligibility with their parent team or organization at their original classifica-
tion for the balance of the playing season whether or not they actually play in the tournament in question.
5. The "spare" goalie must be properly registered on a MH team for the season in question to be eligible
to participate in a regional or state tournament. Proof of registration, such as a copy of their parent
team's registration roster will be required during tournament check-in. NOTE: the objective of the rule
is to allow a team to obtain a back-up goalkeeper during regional and state MH play. The rule is not
intended to permit teams to improve their goaltending through drafting of an additional player.

We followed the rule...
Never once did I say you didn't follow the rules. I asked for a clarification since we were told something totally different from our district. I wish WBL the best against EP.
harley93

Post by harley93 »

Sorry man... That came out wrong, I didn't mean to infure that, I can understand your question when you were told something else..

Blaine kids played a good hard clean game yesterday, the puck bounces just went our way at the end..

Thanks for the good wishes..