2012 Warrior 3v3 Series

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNIcemen

2012 Warrior 3v3 Series

Post by MNIcemen »

The 4th annual Warrior 3v3 Series is open for registrations - first 45 skaters in each age group will be accepted. All sessions have availability but first come, first serve.

The Warrior 3v3 Series randomly assigns teams before the start of each session. Jerseys are provided. No coaches. Referees for each game. No checking. Score of the games are not kept. Intent of the Warrior 3v3 Series is to allow the players to be creative on the ice and have fun.

- 10 Sessions (15 hours)
- Registration and Payment ($195) for Skaters can be made at www.mnicemen.com and click on 2012 Warrior 3v3 tab on left navigation bar.

Goalies need to contact ProHybrid for registration and pricing. Goalie Training will be provided during the Warrior 3v3 Session. If interested contact Prohybrid by emailing zach@prohybridtraining.com

GOALIE AVAILABILITY
Adv Mite/1st Yr Squirt: 5 openings
2nd Yr Squirt/1st Yr Peewee: 2 openings
2nd Yr Peewee/1st Yr Bantam: sold out

AGE DIVISIONS
Mite/Squirt 5:30 - 7PM
Second year Mites and First year Squirts from the 2011/12association season.

Squirt/PeeWee 7 - 8:30PM
Second year Squirts and First year PeeWees from the 2011/12 association season.

PeeWee/Bantam 8:30 - 10PM
Second year PeeWees and First year Bantams from the 2011/12 association season.

ALL GIRLS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SIGN UP AND PLAY AT THE LEVEL OF THEIR CHOICE!

2012 DATES - All Dates are SUNDAY evenings
6/17/2012
6/24/2012
7/1/2012
7/8/2012
7/15/2012
7/22/2012
7/29/2012
8/5/2012
8/12/2012
8/26/2012

Thank you!
GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome »

Are the games played on a studio rink, or do you divide a larger ice surface? Thanks.
Cut Above

Post by Cut Above »

This is something that is just fabulous. True Rink Rat hockey. My kid did it last year, music blasting "Stranglehold", no score is kept, kids taking turns, 3 on 3, organized, grab jerseys before each game so it's all mixed up....it's just plain fun. My kid will be back this year. Knew nobody going into to it.

Format = neutral zone is where all the kids stage themselves as they wait their turns. 2 games going on simultaneously on each end of the regulation rink. 4 Teams so to say. Each end of the rink they are playing cross ice 3 on 3. Very loose, casual, yet organized, fun...no pressure. Good kids, bad kids, they're all there to do what they love, have fun playing hockey w/o coaches. True Pond Hockey.

The only parents are: The Musicman, 1 to hand out jerseys before each session and 1 ref (babysitter) for each game. Just to make sure kids are cycling through and not being a danger. Kids for the most part get it and self police.

When people complain about the price of hockey and how to get kids started then eventually hooked, they should come watch this. This is an affordable way for associations to get kids alot of ice, have fun, get alot of touches..... To me, this is one of the answers.

To much 3 on 3 is still score based. This format there's still scoring but it's just different in that it's not up there on the board. It's really you against yourself.
greyhound89

Post by greyhound89 »

Cut Above wrote:This is something that is just fabulous.
For the icemen players, siblings and guests.
Cut Above wrote:True Rink Rat hockey. My kid did it last year, music blasting "Stranglehold", no score is kept, kids taking turns
Last year, week in and week out a number of the icemen players, siblings and guests would take 12 to 14 minute shifts and not 12-14 minutes of hustle, this is the stand around I'm tired and will try when I think I can shine 12-14 minutes. After they would come out and the next 2 rotations of kids would go in for 1-1.5 minutes each. That appeared to be too much time for the 12-14 min shifters because they would yell at the kids who had been out there for a whole minute to change. They would also cut in line because they wanted to be out with their buddy. The 12-14 min shifters proceeded to go back on the ice for the remaining 3-5 minutes of the 20 minute period. So out of a 20 minute period the kids who are paying for the fundraiser got 2-3 minutes of playing while the beneficiaries of the fundraiser took 14-18 minutes of the period. It was so bad that one of the beneficiaries parents yelled at his kid, from the stands, to change, after a 10 minute shift. (NO it was not Brumm he let his kid skate as much as he wanted.)

Cut Above wrote:Format = neutral zone is where all the kids stage themselves as they wait their turns. 2 games going on simultaneously on each end of the regulation rink. 4 Teams so to say. Each end of the rink they are playing cross ice 3 on 3. Very loose, casual, yet organized, fun...no pressure. Good kids, bad kids, they're all there to do what they love, have fun playing hockey w/o coaches. True Pond Hockey.

The only parents are: The Musicman, 1 to hand out jerseys before each session and 1 ref (babysitter) for each game. Just to make sure kids are cycling through and not being a danger.
The kids started to complain to the referees about the shift times, the referees comment, "we were told to watch the shift length the first week then told to let it go."
Cut Above wrote:Kids for the most part get it and self police.
Yeah they learned to swap jersey colors after they were handed out so if they got at least one more "long shifter" on the same team, they could stay out there.
Cut Above wrote:When people complain about the price of hockey and how to get kids started then eventually hooked, they should come watch this. This is an affordable way for associations to get kids alot of ice, have fun, get alot of touches..... To me, this is one of the answers.
I don't disagree here, but $19.50 per session for my kid to stand around and watch some other kids taking 14 minute "lazy" shifts is bordering on the flat out stupid.
Cut Above wrote:To much 3 on 3 is still score based. This format there's still scoring but it's just different in that it's not up there on the board. It's really you against yourself.
Yeah how can I stay warm?

This was NOT my son's first year doing this. This was at the bantam level. I do not know about the other levels. Talking with other parents from last year, it sounds like they did bring it to Brumm's attention, but it got worse as the sessions went on so he obviously didn't care. I know it got so bad that my kid DID NOT have "fun" and said it "sucked."
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Would recommend a horn every minute and a half to keep everybody happy.
Cut Above

Post by Cut Above »

I saw some of this happening but then my kid would go out there and do the same thing to get back at the kids but overall, the kids rotated well.

I saw the refs do nothing about it.

There were different levels at different times, so maybe in some groups it got out of hand? My kid would just dish it right back.

In the SPIRIT OF THINGS: I too will not send them my money unless they promise to do a better job at this! I like the horn idea....
MGHockey12

Post by MGHockey12 »

so...I assume we can count you out for this year?

greyhound89 wrote:
Cut Above wrote:This is something that is just fabulous.
For the icemen players, siblings and guests.
Cut Above wrote:True Rink Rat hockey. My kid did it last year, music blasting "Stranglehold", no score is kept, kids taking turns
Last year, week in and week out a number of the icemen players, siblings and guests would take 12 to 14 minute shifts and not 12-14 minutes of hustle, this is the stand around I'm tired and will try when I think I can shine 12-14 minutes. After they would come out and the next 2 rotations of kids would go in for 1-1.5 minutes each. That appeared to be too much time for the 12-14 min shifters because they would yell at the kids who had been out there for a whole minute to change. They would also cut in line because they wanted to be out with their buddy. The 12-14 min shifters proceeded to go back on the ice for the remaining 3-5 minutes of the 20 minute period. So out of a 20 minute period the kids who are paying for the fundraiser got 2-3 minutes of playing while the beneficiaries of the fundraiser took 14-18 minutes of the period. It was so bad that one of the beneficiaries parents yelled at his kid, from the stands, to change, after a 10 minute shift. (NO it was not Brumm he let his kid skate as much as he wanted.)

Cut Above wrote:Format = neutral zone is where all the kids stage themselves as they wait their turns. 2 games going on simultaneously on each end of the regulation rink. 4 Teams so to say. Each end of the rink they are playing cross ice 3 on 3. Very loose, casual, yet organized, fun...no pressure. Good kids, bad kids, they're all there to do what they love, have fun playing hockey w/o coaches. True Pond Hockey.

The only parents are: The Musicman, 1 to hand out jerseys before each session and 1 ref (babysitter) for each game. Just to make sure kids are cycling through and not being a danger.
The kids started to complain to the referees about the shift times, the referees comment, "we were told to watch the shift length the first week then told to let it go."
Cut Above wrote:Kids for the most part get it and self police.
Yeah they learned to swap jersey colors after they were handed out so if they got at least one more "long shifter" on the same team, they could stay out there.
Cut Above wrote:When people complain about the price of hockey and how to get kids started then eventually hooked, they should come watch this. This is an affordable way for associations to get kids alot of ice, have fun, get alot of touches..... To me, this is one of the answers.
I don't disagree here, but $19.50 per session for my kid to stand around and watch some other kids taking 14 minute "lazy" shifts is bordering on the flat out stupid.
Cut Above wrote:To much 3 on 3 is still score based. This format there's still scoring but it's just different in that it's not up there on the board. It's really you against yourself.
Yeah how can I stay warm?

This was NOT my son's first year doing this. This was at the bantam level. I do not know about the other levels. Talking with other parents from last year, it sounds like they did bring it to Brumm's attention, but it got worse as the sessions went on so he obviously didn't care. I know it got so bad that my kid DID NOT have "fun" and said it "sucked."
icedad

Post by icedad »

greyhound89 wrote: This was NOT my son's first year doing this. This was at the bantam level. I do not know about the other levels.
Since you call out one of the organizers twice in the same post, it sounds personal.

First let me say, I think the buzzer would solve the entire thing. It's a little more intrusive, but would get the job done. End of the day, the idea is supposed to be 'pond hockey'. As Cut Above points out, this is and should be generally self policing, just as it would on the pond. Next you're going to tell me no one is passing to your kid and they need to sit kids not passing.

As far as the Refs go, they are there primarily to call penalties, keep things under control and the kids safe. They can't watch the shift length of every kid on the ice.

In no way is it perfect system, but it's a nice way on a Sunday night to give the kids a chance to cool off on a hot summer night, get on their skates, work on their dangles, and have some fun. Based on the last couple of years, seems pretty popular. I know of a few people end up turned away each year when a registration for a given session fills out.

End of the day if your son is not having fun or can't keep up, vote with your feet.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

MGHockey12 wrote:so...I assume we can count you out for this year?
icedad wrote: Since you call out one of the organizers twice in the same post, it sounds personal.

First let me say, I think the buzzer would solve the entire thing. It's a little more intrusive, but would get the job done. End of the day, the idea is supposed to be 'pond hockey'. As Cut Above points out, this is and should be generally self policing, just as it would on the pond. Next you're going to tell me no one is passing to your kid and they need to sit kids not passing.

As far as the Refs go, they are there primarily to call penalties, keep things under control and the kids safe. They can't watch the shift length of every kid on the ice.

In no way is it perfect system, but it's a nice way on a Sunday night to give the kids a chance to cool off on a hot summer night, get on their skates, work on their dangles, and have some fun. Based on the last couple of years, seems pretty popular. I know of a few people end up turned away each year when a registration for a given session fills out.

End of the day if your son is not having fun or can't keep up, vote with your feet.
Your obviously from Maple Grove and I'm guessing part of the Icemen organization and rather than address the problem/complaint this is your response ? Nice.

It is supposed to be pond hockey and self policing but as we all know sometimes kids don't police themselves very well and since people have paid for this it would seem like the icemen organization should address this issue.

Agree a buzzer seems like a simple thing to solve very solvable problem.
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

Here we go again.........bash an organization.

If it was the Blades it would be Terry Moore's fault
If it was MM it would be Bernies fault
If it was the Legacy it would be Bonds fault
(please I know I missed somebody the next guy will want to blame)

How about as a parent you bring your kid there and say"hey you know taking 12-14 min shifts (I can assume that this is over exaggerated like 99.9% of the stuff on here) is not what your here for, I want you working hard for 60-90sec and then change".

It seems really simple if you don't like it, don't make your kid do it!
MNIcemen

Post by MNIcemen »

This is an open forum and everyone has a right to share their experiences and opinions so I do not post reply's to comments but I will in this instance.

I know that at certain times there have been players that have taken advantage of the situation and skated extended shift times. I am at the rink and attend almost all of the sessions and I make it a habit of walking around and talking to the kids asking how is it going and if anyone is staying out too long. Majority of the time they say "all is good" but when they do identify a player (or a group of players) I watch and then go and address the concern (too long on the ice or playing too physical) with that specific player(s). There are times when I have had to talk to the same kid multiple times and other times I have to split kids up so that they are not on the same team. In the end I am confident I have missed a few situations that should have been addressed.

We have discussed using the buzzer and will consider it, or at least try it, for a session or two and see how it goes.

Appreciate the open dialogue except for the part regarding singling a specific individual as I am sure there was a way to contact him directly.

Thanks -
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

MNIcemen wrote:This is an open forum and everyone has a right to share their experiences and opinions so I do not post reply's to comments but I will in this instance.

I know that at certain times there have been players that have taken advantage of the situation and skated extended shift times. I am at the rink and attend almost all of the sessions and I make it a habit of walking around and talking to the kids asking how is it going and if anyone is staying out too long. Majority of the time they say "all is good" but when they do identify a player (or a group of players) I watch and then go and address the concern (too long on the ice or playing too physical) with that specific player(s). There are times when I have had to talk to the same kid multiple times and other times I have to split kids up so that they are not on the same team. In the end I am confident I have missed a few situations that should have been addressed.

We have discussed using the buzzer and will consider it, or at least try it, for a session or two and see how it goes.

Appreciate the open dialogue except for the part regarding singling a specific individual as I am sure there was a way to contact him directly.

Thanks -
Thanks, now that's the way it should be addressed.