Upset Alert - Johnson over WBL

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

likeiseeit

new coach

Post by likeiseeit »

mike schwarz would coach white bear again
wingman

Post by wingman »

I'll come back to the kids of WB for a second. They had a good run as a group. From Squirts to High School some great performances. All the seniors like Majkozak and Morisete twins, the gritty performance of Mikey A. every game, going to state last year, and many state appearances from Squirts to Bantams, etc. The younger ones will have next year. For those that want it, I hope they all have hockey opportunities after high school. You just can't measure there abilities by one game, and I sure hope they don't. They are great players, a good bunch off the ice, who have many achievements over many years to be proud of..
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

wingman wrote:I'll come back to the kids of WB for a second. They had a good run as a group. From Squirts to High School some great performances. All the seniors like Majkozak and Morisete twins, the gritty performance of Mikey A. every game, going to state last year, and many state appearances from Squirts to Bantams, etc. The younger ones will have next year. For those that want it, I hope they all have hockey opportunities after high school. You just can't measure there abilities by one game, and I sure hope they don't. They are great players, a good bunch off the ice, who have many achievements over many years to be proud of..
And some have more than others. :wink:
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

It's a great day to be an Eastsider!

I may be a HM fan but a Johnson win over WBL is just as sweet. I'd love to see a Hill-Johnson section championship next Friday night at the Fairgrounds. One last time.
Hill-Murray>Public Schools>All Other Privates
wbmd

Re: new coach

Post by wbmd »

likeiseeit wrote:mike schwarz would coach white bear again
Mike Schwartz had no defense when he coached at White Bear.
isee

Post by isee »

So, I ran into a few of the Seniors after the game last night, some of the seniors came into the restaurant crying, and I felt bad for them.

Sager told them they lost because they didn't listen to him, once again putting all the blame on others and not stepping up to the plate, and admitting his inefficiencies.

I agree with GFD last year they beat Hill because of the talent and heart of the team, and the little coaching that Sager allowed Greer and Anderson to do, which believe me isn't much.

I was told by one player that the coaching didn't start until Sager left the locker room and Greer and Anderson had a chance to talk.

It is pretty bad when the Coach goes to shake hands with the players and a couple of them turn and walk away. Where I would admit that is disrespectful?

Or is it that Sager hasn't given respect, thus not earning it?
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

isee wrote:So, I ran into a few of the Seniors after the game last night, some of the seniors came into the restaurant crying, and I felt bad for them.

Sager told them they lost because they didn't listen to him, once again putting all the blame on others and not stepping up to the plate, and admitting his inefficiencies.

I agree with GFD last year they beat Hill because of the talent and heart of the team, and the little coaching that Sager allowed Greer and Anderson to do, which believe me isn't much.

I was told by one player that the coaching didn't start until Sager left the locker room and Greer and Anderson had a chance to talk.

It is pretty bad when the Coach goes to shake hands with the players and a couple of them turn and walk away. Where I would admit that is disrespectful?

Sager has definitely ruined the once proud tradition of White Bear Lake hockey.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

isee wrote:So, I ran into a few of the Seniors after the game last night, some of the seniors came into the restaurant crying, and I felt bad for them.

I feel bad for all of the seniors.... I don't know Tim Sager, but year after year I hear all of these negative things about him and it's hard not to believe the stories people say. What I do know though is his pretty unsuccessful track record at WBL. He's been to state 3 times, with some pretty talented WBL teams in his first 4-5 years here. The '05 team being loaded with talent. His record against Hill is pathetic, and his non conference record is brutal as well. I solely believe he won coach of the year last year for getting past Hill in sections. That was a great win, but one win over the last 14 or 15 games against Hill is unacceptable.

Should there be a change? Yes. Will there be a change? Probably not.
Northfan99

Post by Northfan99 »

Gotta love the playoffs, anything can happen
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
isee wrote: Should there be a change? Yes. Will there be a change? Probably not.
You're not just saying that to tease me, now, are you?

Seriously, even if the players were entirely to blame (and I was not at the game) how could any head coach be anything but consoling, especially to the seniors, after their last game. Even more so when it's a quarterfinal upset. That's sad and bizarre.
The Gumper

Post by The Gumper »

wbmd wrote:Sager has definitely ruined the once proud tradition of White Bear Lake hockey.
Oh, please. Seriously.
The Gumper

Post by The Gumper »

PuckU126 wrote:Tim Sager is no "great coach," Gump.

This guy has single-handedly brought down the WBL hockey program, and that's a fact. Most alumni hate him and his "coaching," future players are repelled to play for him because he's a dope, and he says to the media/public that his team is only one line and the rest are "slim pickins." Even HM fans, WBL archrival, are cheering for Sager to remain Head Coach!

You must be a HM fan, Gump.

These are not characteristics of a great coach.
I inserted "even" before "great coaches" to make it clear I was not claiming Sager is a great coach. But perhaps I could have been clearer.

My point was let's take a deep breath before we fire up the "fire Sager" bandwagon. If there was as much "hatred" and lack of respect for the man as you say, it's rather surprising the organized (although cowardly anonymous) dump sager campaign in 2008 didn't succeed in ousting him.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

The Gumper wrote:I inserted "even" before "great coaches" to make it clear I was not claiming Sager is a great coach. But perhaps I could have been clearer.
I understand now. You are correct; I thought you were stating that Sager was a great coach.
The Gumper wrote:My point was let's take a deep breath before we fire up the "fire Sager" bandwagon. If there was as much "hatred" and lack of respect for the man as you say, it's rather surprising the organized (although cowardly anonymous) dump sager campaign in 2008 didn't succeed in ousting him.
The "fire Sager" bandwagon has been going on for awhile now. This is even after he was named "Coach of the Year."

And I do not know the details as to why he hasn't been dumped; however, I do know that many WBL alumni want him to leave.

8)
The Puck
LGW
isee

Post by isee »

Than it is time that the Alumni step up to the plate, and do the right thing.
buzzershot

Post by buzzershot »

Sager strikes again....Thats it Flash Mob at South... bring your signs!!!
12to14

Post by 12to14 »

Replace the name Sager with Diebel and you have the same scenario - Except Diebel and the other coaches team up on one player and put the entire blame on him... He was named coach of the year a few years ago as well. Should he go YES will he NO!
eastsidepride

Audition for Moose?

Post by eastsidepride »

Was this win over WBL Moose's audition for the job? With the program likely folding soon, if not next year, Moose is going to be looking for a job and WBL would seem like a good fit for him.

Having played for Moose, I love the guy and how much he loves the kids that plays for him. He is the only reason that the program is even alive today, and I hope that he finds a home as a coach when the program is done.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Can we step away from the WBL backbiting and Sager bashing for a minute to give some credit to Moose and the Johnson team?

The WBL kids had yelled the 'season's over' chant with 13 minutes to go and Johnson was down 5-1 with six minutes to go. People were leaving the building and I might have left myself if I hadn't been there with Sparlimb and Govs. They had an 8th grader in goal who played better as the game went on but was clearly challenged by the situation as any 8th grader would be.

They could have easily packed it in. They didn't. Jay Dickman who had done little to that point rose to the occasion assisting on one goal and scoring two including the game winner which was a thing of beauty. There's been a lot of fingerpointing on the WBL side, but I assert the Johnson kids worked their asses off and earned the win, give them their props.

And I have to say it was one of the best hockey games I've ever been at, given the situation with Johnson and the amazing comeback.
It's hard to win when you always lose.
isee

Post by isee »

ChrisK wrote:Can we step away from the WBL backbiting and Sager bashing for a minute to give some credit to Moose and the Johnson team?

The WBL kids had yelled the 'season's over' chant with 13 minutes to go and Johnson was down 5-1 with six minutes to go. People were leaving the building and I might have left myself if I hadn't been there with Sparlimb and Govs. They had an 8th grader in goal who played better as the game went on but was clearly challenged by the situation as any 8th grader would be.

They could have easily packed it in. They didn't. Jay Dickman who had done little to that point rose to the occasion assisting on one goal and scoring two including the game winner which was a thing of beauty. There's been a lot of fingerpointing on the WBL side, but I assert the Johnson kids worked their asses off and earned the win, give them their props.

And I have to say it was one of the best hockey games I've ever been at, given the situation with Johnson and the amazing comeback.
I agree with you that the Govs deserve credit and I give them credit for not giving up.

WBL was clearly the dominate team throughout the game, and it was clearly WB's head coach that failed the team, as usual. He has proven for 10 years that he is incapable of developing an entire team, by only concentrating on only his favorites, this has been proven by his non conference record, his state appearances and his ability to alienate some of his players, creating them to loose there passion to ever play the sport again.

I can almost guarantee that if he sticks around that a couple of his key players will not return next year, for fear that they will go backwards. As for Anderson and Greer, they are well liked and respected by not only the players but the parents alike.

However good for the Govs. With a comeback like that they deserve the "W"
The Gumper

Post by The Gumper »

isee wrote:
ChrisK wrote:Can we step away from the WBL backbiting and Sager bashing for a minute to give some credit to Moose and the Johnson team? [...]
[...] WBL was clearly the dominate team throughout the game, and it was clearly WB's head coach that failed the team, as usual. He has proven for 10 years that he is incapable of developing an entire team, by only concentrating on only his favorites, this has been proven by his non conference record, his state appearances and his ability to alienate some of his players, creating them to loose there passion to ever play the sport again. [...]
Evidently you didn't read the first sentence of the post you were responding to.
isee

Post by isee »

The Gumper wrote:
isee wrote:
ChrisK wrote:Can we step away from the WBL backbiting and Sager bashing for a minute to give some credit to Moose and the Johnson team? [...]
[...] WBL was clearly the dominate team throughout the game, and it was clearly WB's head coach that failed the team, as usual. He has proven for 10 years that he is incapable of developing an entire team, by only concentrating on only his favorites, this has been proven by his non conference record, his state appearances and his ability to alienate some of his players, creating them to loose there passion to ever play the sport again. [...]
Evidently you didn't read the first sentence of the post you were responding to.
That is exactly what I did. For 1 minute
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

isee wrote:
The Gumper wrote:
isee wrote: [...] WBL was clearly the dominate team throughout the game, and it was clearly WB's head coach that failed the team, as usual. He has proven for 10 years that he is incapable of developing an entire team, by only concentrating on only his favorites, this has been proven by his non conference record, his state appearances and his ability to alienate some of his players, creating them to loose there passion to ever play the sport again. [...]
My bad, I forgot I was dealing with WBL fans who apparently are only capable of literal interpretations.

Is this any clearer:

Can we put the WBL backbiting and Sager bashing in another thread and finally give some credit to Moose and the Johnson team?
It's hard to win when you always lose.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

ChrisK wrote:
isee wrote:
The Gumper wrote: Evidently you didn't read the first sentence of the post you were responding to.
My bad, I forgot I was dealing with WBL fans who apparently are only capable of literal interpretations.

Is this any clearer:

Can we put the WBL backbiting and Sager bashing in another thread and finally give some credit to Moose and the Johnson team?

It's pretty hard not to bash him after what just took place. Yes, congrats to Johnson on accomplishing the unthinkable, but that's exactly what it is, unthinkable. This was clearly more of a choke job, than an amazing comeback. You replay that final 6 minutes a thousand times and Johnson may win once... I know these are just kids and anything can and could happen, but giving up 4 goals in that little amount of time is usually unheard of. (It was the first time I can remember at least)

With that all being said, I'm not trying to take anything away from Johnson. It was a great win for them and their program. But I can't see this as being anything other than a WBL choke job...
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

ChrisK wrote:Can we put the WBL backbiting and Sager bashing in another thread and finally give some credit to Moose and the Johnson team?
This dialog is expected considering what Sager has done to and said about his team. Just saying...

But I agree that more credit should be given to Moose and his Govies. So, congrats to Moose and his club for not giving up. They made a lot of East Side old timers proud after that big win. And kudos to Johnson's tender; he's only an 8th grader, folks, and he held off WB to get the W. Best of luck against Roseville. (I bet they could pull another upset against the Raiders as well.)

8)
The Puck
LGW
Tornadoes 2003StateChamps

Post by Tornadoes 2003StateChamps »

Johnson, way to put your heart and soul into a game and come back and beat the Bears. 10 years from now, you'll look back on this game and recall "remember when....." Tough loss to the Bears but your fans may want to stop cheering "seasons over" - Talk about carma!