Private School Trash talk thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Bonehead wrote:Hi HSHW! Rather than try to make sense of that quote mess I'll just start up again.

1. People move all the time and if they have kids a large part of their decision process is the school district. And if they're interested in participating in sports they can. Just not right away at the varsity level. Give me a better option and I'll listen.

You telling me Sprang just walked on and tried out for goalie at BSM this year? Or the two Blake kids? Gimme a break.

2. Interesting spin, but public school tuition is provided by ALL parties (including privates). Need based could be different, but it's not in our common interest to see an unlevel playing field. If private schools would disclose where the money goes we could get a better picture.

Is it OK for the Marvins to offer to buy a car for Jimmy so he can commute from TRF? No? Then how about a scholarship so he can afford to buy his own car?

3. I absolutely disagree. This was the one idea that I thought could address the anger over what the A tourney has become.

I want private AND public schools to compete fairly. Not sure what to do about Edina!
1. I didn't say it doesn't happen as you say (in fact I'm pretty sure I have said multiple times that it does) but that is the exception, not the rule. You are trying to design a rule to stop the 1% from happening and not worry about the 99%, which doesn't make sense and wouldn't happen at the state level. Yes, people do go there for hockey (both public and private high schools) and some do decide late, but the vast majority are set up for where they will go much earlier.

2. There's no spin...100% of public school students have 100% of tuition provided for them; you even agree 8)
So you don't want those who get financial assistance to play sports but then you say need based is fine...so who are you talking about?
That is what is offered at private schools; need based financial assistance. Most of them operate through 3rd parties who give them numbers of what should be provided based on the parents' finances; all of this is available on their websites. If you are truly interested, you can look it all up.

Are you really saying you want the kid whose school gives him a 5% tuition break because he got the highest score on the entrance exam to not be able to play sports?

3. Totally disagree with what? I said "I'd be fine with something along those lines" so what are you "totally disagree[ing] with? Or do you totally disagree with a free/reduced multiplier?

I have no problem with St Thomas in AA, in fact every change but one to the current classifications I've suggested would put them there, but there are some implications of what you are suggesting that make no sense.
I don't like the idea of a school like Legacy Christian Academy, with a high school enrollment of 173, to have to play 5A football next year because they are located in Andover. There are plenty of Class A football schools around the state who would end up playing 3A football because of the students attending their school from around the area.

In hockey specifically, we'd have plenty of "true Class A schools" playing AA hockey because of where they are located. Quite silly.

I'm fine with a private multiplier, I'm fine with a free/reduced multiplier, I'm fine with a sport offering multiplier, I'm fine with gender specific numbers used, heck I'm fine with some complex percentage of the communities they pull from. There's a lot I'd entertain, but silly sport specific private bashing makes no sense.

Why not just have Class A be the smallest 64 teams in the state, allowing teams to opt down if they can get approval and allowing opt ups? NO good team would stay down and the tournament with would this meeting in march of bad hockey teams that everyone seems to want.

Can you define "compete fairly" for me? Terms like this keep getting tossed around without definition.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

Lazy Scout wrote:The three BSM kids families DID move to St Louis Park, adhering to the transfter rule.

Private schools give need-based and merit scholarships. That is why they have a wide range of socio-economic classes representing their schools. If a hockey player or a basketball or football player happens to receive a need base scholarship then unfortunately for people like you, it looks like they are getting some sort of athletic/financial advantage attending that school.

Your real issue is privates playing in the A tourney, making all privates play AA and let Hermantown destroy teams from Marshall and St Cloud. Until that happens, you will not be happy.

I still say if you make the class A championship 4 years in a row that you automatically are moved up to AA the next year, regardless if you are a private or public.
Actually not a Hermantown guy. I'm a Robbinsdale guy.
And using loopholes in the existing rules to your benefit is bad for ALL schools public AND private.

Yes, financial assistance does look like an advantage to me. So does harvesting players from an unlimited base.

Saying that all you care about is a good student experience on a hockey message board is disingenuous at best.

To me the issue is that those few bad apples using loopholes to their advantage makes for some unsavory generalizations.

And whatever - I like that idea about getting kicked upstairs.
HShockeywatcher

Bonehead wrote:
Lazy Scout wrote:The three BSM kids families DID move to St Louis Park, adhering to the transfter rule.

Private schools give need-based and merit scholarships. That is why they have a wide range of socio-economic classes representing their schools. If a hockey player or a basketball or football player happens to receive a need base scholarship then unfortunately for people like you, it looks like they are getting some sort of athletic/financial advantage attending that school.

Your real issue is privates playing in the A tourney, making all privates play AA and let Hermantown destroy teams from Marshall and St Cloud. Until that happens, you will not be happy.

I still say if you make the class A championship 4 years in a row that you automatically are moved up to AA the next year, regardless if you are a private or public.
And using loopholes in the existing rules to your benefit is bad for ALL schools public AND private.

Yes, financial assistance does look like an advantage to me. So does harvesting players from an unlimited base.

Saying that all you care about is a good student experience on a hockey message board is disingenuous at best.

To me the issue is that those few bad apples using loopholes to their advantage makes for some unsavory generalizations.

How is following a rule a loophole? #-o

Please explain to me how having to collect less than 100% tuition from a student so they are able to attend your school an advantage...
How is needing to provide need based scholarships to students who otherwise could not afford your school (and I would assume in turn charging others at least a little bit more) to fill the seats in your classroom an advantage?
We may have our words mixed up, but I'd call that a severe disadvantage...

I agree that there are likely some out there doing some unsavory things, public and private, so why are you only targeting the private schools?
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Bonehead wrote:Hi HSHW! Rather than try to make sense of that quote mess I'll just start up again.

1. People move all the time and if they have kids a large part of their decision process is the school district. And if they're interested in participating in sports they can. Just not right away at the varsity level. Give me a better option and I'll listen.

You telling me Sprang just walked on and tried out for goalie at BSM this year? Or the two Blake kids? Gimme a break.

2. Interesting spin, but public school tuition is provided by ALL parties (including privates). Need based could be different, but it's not in our common interest to see an unlevel playing field. If private schools would disclose where the money goes we could get a better picture.

Is it OK for the Marvins to offer to buy a car for Jimmy so he can commute from TRF? No? Then how about a scholarship so he can afford to buy his own car?

3. I absolutely disagree. This was the one idea that I thought could address the anger over what the A tourney has become.

I want private AND public schools to compete fairly. Not sure what to do about Edina!
1. I didn't say it doesn't happen as you say (in fact I'm pretty sure I have said multiple times that it does) but that is the exception, not the rule.
Please give me an alternative! Every rule/law we have is designed for the 1% who choose to abuse a situation.
You are trying to design a rule to stop the 1% from happening and not worry about the 99%, which doesn't make sense and wouldn't happen at the state level. Yes, people do go there for hockey (both public and private high schools) and some do decide late, but the vast majority are set up for where they will go much earlier.

2. There's no spin...100% of public school students have 100% of tuition provided for them; you even agree 8)
So you don't want those who get financial assistance to play sports but then you say need based is fine...so who are you talking about?
That is what is offered at private schools; need based financial assistance. Most of them operate through 3rd parties who give them numbers of what should be provided based on the parents' finances; all of this is available on their websites. If you are truly interested, you can look it all up.

Are you really saying you want the kid whose school gives him a 5% tuition break because he got the highest score on the entrance exam to not be able to play sports?

3. Totally disagree with what? I said "I'd be fine with something along those lines" so what are you "totally disagree[ing] with? Or do you totally disagree with a free/reduced multiplier?

I have no problem with St Thomas in AA, in fact every change but one to the current classifications I've suggested would put them there, but there are some implications of what you are suggesting that make no sense.
I don't like the idea of a school like Legacy Christian Academy, with a high school enrollment of 173, to have to play 5A football next year because they are located in Andover. There are plenty of Class A football schools around the state who would end up playing 3A football because of the students attending their school from around the area.

In hockey specifically, we'd have plenty of "true Class A schools" playing AA hockey because of where they are located. Quite silly.

Not all that silly. A school that doesn't focus on hockey is not what we're after here. Close the loopholes. What is a true class A school? A school that doesn't have the resources to compete at the AA level? Or a school that is unable to compete at the AA level? Why is Cooper a AA hockey school? Because the student pop that the team draws from exceeds an arbitrary number.

I'm fine with a private multiplier, I'm fine with a free/reduced multiplier, I'm fine with a sport offering multiplier, I'm fine with gender specific numbers used, heck I'm fine with some complex percentage of the communities they pull from. There's a lot I'd entertain, but silly sport specific private bashing makes no sense.

Why not just have Class A be the smallest 64 teams in the state, allowing teams to opt down if they can get approval and allowing opt ups? NO good team would stay down and the tournament with would this meeting in march of bad hockey teams that everyone seems to want.

I like it! Make it so! And while you're at it make every previous class A champ play up. And then set up a AAA Champions bracket where the top 8 AA teams play for a slot at the tourney!

Can you define "compete fairly" for me? Terms like this keep getting tossed around without definition.
:wink:

Compete fairly def. Competition by a set of rules that allow MY team to win once in a while! :wink:
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Wow! The discussion on this thread is getting more interesting by the minute. I've been away for awhile, so let me throw my two cents in on a couple of points.
1. I have absolutely no problem with Bonehead's suggestion of not allowing any transfer to participate in varsity sports for a year. The only people who would complain are those who are transferring for athletic reasons and they aren't supposed to do that anyways.

2. I really don't have a problem with a student living in western Wisconsin attending school in Minnesota. As was mentioned earlier, if a student living in Hudson happens to be Catholic and wants to attend a Catholic school, the closest options are Hill, Cretin and St. Thomas. It makes way more sense for the family to send their child to one of those schools than to send him/her to Eau Claire Memorial, which would be the closest Wisconsin Catholic school.

3. Banning students who receive financial aid from extracurriculars is simply a bad idea. Why should a student who receives financial aid not be able to be in the school play or in the band or the choir or the debate team? If a student gets aid because of his/her academic skills, that student should be allowed to participate in extracurriculars. As a matter of fact, that is exactly the type of student who should be in extracurriculars.
Last edited by slacsap on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Bonehead wrote:

How is following a rule a loophole? #-o
Oof! Ya got me. How about when it's abused?

Please explain to me how having to collect less than 100% tuition from a student so they are able to attend your school an advantage...
How is needing to provide need based scholarships to students who otherwise could not afford your school (and I would assume in turn charging others at least a little bit more) to fill the seats in your classroom an advantage? If applied as advertised it seems harmless. Please guarantee that it will be and we're good!
We may have our words mixed up, but I'd call that a severe disadvantage...

I agree that there are likely some out there doing some unsavory things, public and private, so why are you only targeting the private schools?
Just looking at market trends. When somethings too good to be true, people start to wonder. Should I start up a public school bashing thread so we can compete fairly? :wink:
HShockeywatcher

Bonehead wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

1. I didn't say it doesn't happen as you say (in fact I'm pretty sure I have said multiple times that it does) but that is the exception, not the rule.
Please give me an alternative! Every rule/law we have is designed for the 1% who choose to abuse a situation.
You are trying to design a rule to stop the 1% from happening and not worry about the 99%, which doesn't make sense and wouldn't happen at the state level. Yes, people do go there for hockey (both public and private high schools) and some do decide late, but the vast majority are set up for where they will go much earlier.

Not all that silly. A school that doesn't focus on hockey is not what we're after here. Close the loopholes. What is a true class A school? A school that doesn't have the resources to compete at the AA level? Or a school that is unable to compete at the AA level? Why is Cooper a AA hockey school? Because the student pop that the team draws from exceeds an arbitrary number.

I like it! Make it so! And while you're at it make every previous class A champ play up. And then set up a AAA Champions bracket where the top 8 AA teams play for a slot at the tourney!

Compete fairly def. Competition by a set of rules that allow MY team to win once in a while! :wink:
Armstrong beat Eden Prairie last year, what more can you ask for? Or are you a Cooper guy? 8)

I would say the rules we have are designed to keep the number at 1%. Without them it would likely be higher. What you're suggesting, though, applied across the board would likely have plenty of unintended negative consequences.

Explain what you mean by "doesn't focus on hockey."
My guess is that you mean something that isn't based in reality, but we'll find out I guess.

My opinion is that a class system based on enrollment should be about size of school, not "ability to compete." If we want a tier system, that's fine, but in a class system, it should be about numbers, not ability.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

slacsap wrote:Wow! The discussion on tehis thread is getting more interesting by teh minute. I've been away for awhile, so let me throw my two cents in on a couple of points.
1. I have absolutely no problem with Bonehead's suggestion of not allowing any transfer to participate in varsity sports for a year. The only people who would copmplain are those who are transferrinf for athletic reasons and they aren't supposed to do that anyways.

2. I really don't have a problem with a student living in western Wisconsin attending school in Minnesita. As was mentioned earlier, if a student living in Hudson happens to be Catholic and wants to attend a Catholic school, the closest options are Hill, Cretin and St. Thomas. It makes way more sense for the family to send their child to one of those schools than to send him/her to Eau Claire Memorial, which would be the closest Wisconsin Catholic school.

3. Banning studnets who receive financial aid from extracurriculars is simply a bad idea. Why should a student who receives financial aid not be able to be in the school play or in the band or the choir or the debate team? If a student gets aid because of his/her academic skills, that studnet should be allowed to participate in extracurriculars. As a matter of fact, that is exactly the type of student who should be in extracurriculars.
Yeah, I'm having a tough time with that one too. I, like everyone else have heard that scholarships are awarded to students as incentive to play a particular sport. If true that's play for pay to me. Can I prove it? Nope. If you can, please do.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Bonehead wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote: 1. I didn't say it doesn't happen as you say (in fact I'm pretty sure I have said multiple times that it does) but that is the exception, not the rule.

Armstrong beat Eden Prairie last year, what more can you ask for? Or are you a Cooper guy? 8)
Yeah, and WBL beat Hill Murray once. Why can't we just accept that that's the way things are?

I would say the rules we have are designed to keep the number at 1%. Without them it would likely be higher. What you're suggesting, though, applied across the board would likely have plenty of unintended negative consequences.

The 1% is what drives this discussion. If the rules are that good how can 1% make 99% so angry? Because there is a hole in the rule - a 'loophole' being exploited.

My guess is that you mean something that isn't based in reality, but we'll find out I guess.

Goes crazy for basketball/football/baseball.

My opinion is that a class system based on enrollment should be about size of school, not "ability to compete." If we want a tier system, that's fine, but in a class system, it should be about numbers, not ability.
And all I'm saying is if you draw from a large area you benefit from it. Odd as it may seem, some public schools actually have defined boundaries.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Bonehead wrote:And all I'm saying is if you draw from a large area you benefit from it. Odd as it may seem, some public schools actually have defined boundaries.
Not necessarily true! Draw a line from Albert Lea to Mankato to Willmar to Breckenridge and then have your pick to form an all star team. A HUGE area yet they would lose by 10 or more goals to Edina.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

I think what people need to decide and be consistent on is whether the issue is going to be any recruiting, or the amount of recruiting programs like a private do. It's a little hypocritical to say, for example, that privates should have their own tournament on the basis of their recruiting advantage and then allow public's to presumably do the same thing, albeit on a smaller level. Again, the point isn't to make everything relative and equal, but there does seem to be a little bit of an injustice here. I think the most you can do is make certain private schools opt up to AA and that's about it. They have a transfer rule in place, and I know there's going to be loop holes. But there's not much more you can do. Creating a private section seems to me is like saying we want them to have their own tournament but don't want to openly acknowledge it.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
HShockeywatcher

Bonehead wrote:Yeah, I'm having a tough time with that one too. I, like everyone else have heard that scholarships are awarded to students as incentive to play a particular sport. If true that's play for pay to me. Can I prove it? Nope. If you can, please do.
You can't because it's not true. It's that simple. Like many other things that are said on this board, repeating it over and over doesn't make it true.
Bonehead wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

And all I'm saying is if you draw from a large area you benefit from it. Odd as it may seem, some public schools actually have defined boundaries.
Name a private school that is discussed because they are good at hockey who isn't also good at one of those sports. Having success doesn't mean it is the main mission of the school. It simply means an opportunity has been provided and students have achieved something, just like if they were public school students.

What are the boundaries for open enrollment?
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

It simply means an opportunity has been provided and students have achieved something, just like if they were public school students.
Now with a legendary coach leaving Hill, a deteriorating arena and zero Tartan kids transferring to Hill - according to your theory HSHW - does Hill get lost in the middle of the pack? While White Bear Lake (who keeps their legendary coach, and a brand new arena) dominates the State?
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Bonehead wrote:Yeah, I'm having a tough time with that one too. I, like everyone else have heard that scholarships are awarded to students as incentive to play a particular sport. If true that's play for pay to me. Can I prove it? Nope. If you can, please do.
You can't because it's not true. It's that simple. Like many other things that are said on this board, repeating it over and over doesn't make it true.
Bonehead wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

Name a private school that is discussed because they are good at hockey who isn't also good at one of those sports. Having success doesn't mean it is the main mission of the school. It simply means an opportunity has been provided and students have achieved something, just like if they were public school students.

One year ineligibility.
Lazy Scout

Post by Lazy Scout »

What are the boundaries for open enrollment?[/quote]

As far as you are willing to drive! :D
HShockeywatcher

thorhockey wrote:
It simply means an opportunity has been provided and students have achieved something, just like if they were public school students.
Now with a legendary coach leaving Hill, a deteriorating arena and zero Tartan kids transferring to Hill - according to your theory HSHW - does Hill get lost in the middle of the pack? While White Bear Lake (who keeps their legendary coach, and a brand new arena) dominates the State?
What theory are you referring to?
I know little about the ins and outs of the Maplewood and White Bear Lake schools systems, sorry.
Bonehead wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
Bonehead wrote: And all I'm saying is if you draw from a large area you benefit from it. Odd as it may seem, some public schools actually have defined boundaries.
One year ineligibility.
Which public schools have a "one year of ineligibility" required for all transfers?
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:HSHW, maybe facilities would make somewhat of a difference. LFYH Board has been trying to get a second sheet of ice for years. It would be great to have, but then you have to pay for it. We lose potential hockey players now even when ice and the participation cost is cheap. If we add more facilities, the cost to play goes up, and participation could possibly drop making things worse.

What the hockey public needs to decide is, do you want the very best hockey showcased at the state tournament? If so, then leave it like it is and we'll probably have a private state A champ from a metro area most years with a very occasional public school winning it. If you want a level playing field for small outstate schools, then you need to either add another class, which no one seems to want, or somehow make metro private schools go up a class. And I don't just mean the Twin Cities private schools. Maybe its as simple as requiring the A champ to move up for a couple years. I don't know. Just some thoughts.
HShockeywatcher wrote:I'm still curious why you think these things are so limited. I can't speak about Little Falls from first hand experience, but I highly doubt that if you started a alumni/community fund with 100% of proceeds going toward facilities and providing equipment at reduced cost/no cost to the community you would get no participation.
It will definitely help having a community supported hockey program. But working class families around here cannot afford it. And, even if they could, we still would not compete with the likes of a STA or Breck. We just do not have the number of kids here to do it. Where are we going to draw kids from? Look at Thief River Falls or Crookston. Both have excellent new facilities. How many trips to the finals have they had since building these facilities? TRF had a nice team the last couple years. Lets see if they can get to the A finals sometime in the near future.
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

My good friend got free schooling at Hill and his mom and dad live in a nice house on the river in stillwater section 8 housing must be riverside in stillwater
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

hockeymannorth wrote:

My good friend got free schooling at Hill and his mom and dad live in a nice house on the river in stillwater section 8 housing must be riverside in stillwater
No names please, but was he a gifted academic or perhaps athlete or even both? I don't want a smoking gun, I just want to know that the play for pay conspiracy theorists are not tilting at windmills.
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

Bonehead wrote:
hockeymannorth wrote:

No names please, but was he a gifted academic or perhaps athlete or even both? I don't want a smoking gun, I just want to know that the play for pay conspiracy theorists are not tilting at windmills.
gifted at hockey left Stillwater in HS alumi payed all his bills at Hill including Hill gear like hooded sweat shirts and sweat pants books,hockey
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

hockeymannorth wrote:gifted at hockey left Stillwater in HS alumi payed all his bills at Hill including Hill gear like hooded sweat shirts and sweat pants books,hockey
Ya, apparently you guys haven't heard some of the stories we get from direct sources but obviously can't talk about on here...

I don't know that Novak is at STA because he's fiercely Catholic. I'm pretty sure he tweeted something along the lines of "Thank God for jersey chasers" yesterday and deleted it. I saw it on the GPL timeline. Maybe he's really into the military, though!
Lazy Scout

Post by Lazy Scout »

hockeymannorth wrote:
Bonehead wrote:
hockeymannorth wrote:My good friend got free schooling at Hill and his mom and dad live in a nice house on the river in stillwater section 8 housing must be riverside in stillwater
gifted at hockey left Stillwater in HS alumi payed all his bills at Hill including Hill gear like hooded sweat shirts and sweat pants books,hockey

It is clear to me that you do not have a clue how private schools, alumni, and donations/financial aid work. Until you know what your talking about, I would suggest you stop commenting because you are clearly not credible.

Also, you don't have to live in a "shack" or section 8 housing to receive financial aid.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

hockeymannorth wrote:
Bonehead wrote:
hockeymannorth wrote:My good friend got free schooling at Hill and his mom and dad live in a nice house on the river in stillwater section 8 housing must be riverside in stillwater
Bonehead, you're basically asking Jesse Ventura if 9/11 was an inside job, the government is secretly making underground cities for the apocalypse and if area 51 has aliens.

He (hockeymannorth) is not a credible source. (Bashes private schools constantly on this forum and has no proof to back it up)

But go ahead and prove me wrong.

8)
The Puck
LGW
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

PuckU126 wrote:
hockeymannorth wrote:
Bonehead wrote: No names please, but was he a gifted academic or perhaps athlete or even both? I don't want a smoking gun, I just want to know that the play for pay conspiracy theorists are not tilting at windmills.
Bonehead, you're basically asking Jesse Ventura if 9/11 was an inside job, the government is secretly making underground cities for the apocalypse and if area 51 has aliens.

He (hockeymannorth) is not a credible source. (Bashes private schools constantly on this forum and has no proof to back it up)

But go ahead and prove me wrong.

8)
If I was looking for credible sources this is the last place I'd look! :lol:

I'm just trying to get my head around it. My guess is it's not bad as they say it is, but not as good as you say it is. I got no horse in this race - don't even KNOW a current player.
BP

Post by BP »

I'm just curious what people think recruiting actually is? Do people think that these coaches go to PW and Bantam games as just starting calling players?