non parent coaches

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

goaliedad31

non parent coaches

Post by goaliedad31 »

Just curious about what most associations have in terms of non-parent coaches at the U10-U14 levels. Our association doesn't even try to hire or get non parent coaches for any of our girls teams - while they have non-parent coaches for the boys A teams. I see that many teams are advertising for girls U10-U14 coaches in Lets Play Hockey. Do all these associations end up hiring at this level? What is the norm for other associations and should parents of girls expect equal treatment for their girls programs?
lrugland

Post by lrugland »

What are you asking? Isn't the positions a non paid position so there would not be a hired coach but a volunteer coach? As for equal treatment for girls programs, is that a trick question?
BarTender3035

Post by BarTender3035 »

lrugland wrote:What are you asking? Isn't the positions a non paid position so there would not be a hired coach but a volunteer coach? As for equal treatment for girls programs, is that a trick question?
My non parent (me) position was paid.
2010 MINNESOTA STATE HIGH SCHOOL CONTEST WINNER
demongoed

Post by demongoed »

Our association is very active in recruiting non-parent coaches. The problem has been that while candidates are interested in coaching the higher-level boys teams, they are not interested in coaching the girls teams. It seems to be very hard to find non-parent coaches even for the U14 A team, which in our association has had great success.
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

What are you asking? Isn't the positions a non paid position so there would not be a hired coach but a volunteer coach? As for equal treatment for girls programs, is that a trick question?

Not trying to make it a trick question. Just trying to get a sense of how many girls teams are coached by non parent coaches. Seems like a lot of teams are trying to get non parent coaches through advertisement, but I don't know how successful they are. Are 20%, 50% or 70% of girls A teams coached by non parent coaches? How hard is it to recruit? We live in a large association yet they don't even advertise. Should we be expecting more from our association, or is it normal to have parent coaches because of the difficulty in recruiting?
lrugland

Post by lrugland »

OK, gotcha. We have all parent coaches in our girls programs All positions are volunteer with no pay. Some of the coaches do not take money for hotels either. I think the problem with some parent coaches is they do not see the team but only their kids, which is totally wrong. We have no issues with that and our teams are pretty successful.

As for association rules, if you feel that you need more help with recruiting non-parent coaches then that would be something to bring up to your board. Don't assume they will just do it for you, but ask one of your board members to to bring it up at a meeting or do it yourself.

In our area it would be very difficult to fill coaches with non-parents. Most of the time anyone that has the interest also has a child in the program. To have a non-parent coach I feel that person will not have a child in the program or other sports that time of the year. That coach might be there for a long time and build a great program for your town.