I find myself Rooting Against Hermantown - I think

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

defense

Post by defense »

Hermantown had 37 come out for hockey, and had to cut players?? And that is supposed to make them like Warroad ?? No. Just no. From that bit of info. It sounds like numbers in Hermantown are very. Healthy .
Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

Jumbolaya wrote:
hockey9011 wrote: Obviously Sartell isn't like an Edina or EP, but its actually a pretty wealthy suburb as far as towns in Central MN go. Not sure what Hermantown is like though so maybe your comparison is spot on.. How big is Hermantown's population??
Hermantown's population is only about 10,000, though the school district also includes some sparsely populated areas north of town. It is fairly well-to-do by northern MN standards, but pretty much a middle-class city in the grand scheme of things.
I am not sure how big their town is but remember that they pull players in from a lot of the surrounding and not so surrounding towns. They get kids from a few of the Duluth neighborhoods, Proctor, Virginia, Hibbing and I am sure others that have been mentioned in threads that I either missed or forgot. Compairing them to some town that is out away from a larger population is not really compairing apples to apples.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

Winter is Coming wrote:
Jumbolaya wrote:
hockey9011 wrote: Obviously Sartell isn't like an Edina or EP, but its actually a pretty wealthy suburb as far as towns in Central MN go. Not sure what Hermantown is like though so maybe your comparison is spot on.. How big is Hermantown's population??
Hermantown's population is only about 10,000, though the school district also includes some sparsely populated areas north of town. It is fairly well-to-do by northern MN standards, but pretty much a middle-class city in the grand scheme of things.
I am not sure how big their town is but remember that they pull players in from a lot of the surrounding and not so surrounding towns. They get kids from a few of the Duluth neighborhoods, Proctor, Virginia, Hibbing and I am sure others that have been mentioned in threads that I either missed or forgot. Compairing them to some town that is out away from a larger population is not really compairing apples to apples.
You say this like it is completely unique to Hermantown. Edina, Lakeville North, St. Cloud Apollo, Mahtomedi, etc all experience this. Don't portray this like Hermantown is doing anything different than any one else.
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

defense wrote:Hermantown had 37 come out for hockey, and had to cut players?? And that is supposed to make them like Warroad ?? No. Just no. From that bit of info. It sounds like numbers in Hermantown are very. Healthy .
I wouldn't consider 37 kids trying out for JV and Varsity "healthy." That's basically 12 kids per grade. That's really not a lot to work with when you're trying to assemble two complete hockey teams. Many of the kids had to play JV and Varsity throughout the year so that they would have enough guys on the bench.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

37 is plenty healthy!! Especially if that is 10-12. There are lots of AA schools that would love to have those numbers. That's not to mention I am sure a few quit or chose not to try out.
defense

Post by defense »

hshockeyfan53 wrote:
defense wrote:Hermantown had 37 come out for hockey, and had to cut players?? And that is supposed to make them like Warroad ?? No. Just no. From that bit of info. It sounds like numbers in Hermantown are very. Healthy .
I wouldn't consider 37 kids trying out for JV and Varsity "healthy." That's basically 12 kids per grade. That's really not a lot to work with when you're trying to assemble two complete hockey teams. Many of the kids had to play JV and Varsity throughout the year so that they would have enough guys on the bench.
12 seniors were all good enough to stay on and Hermantown is supposed to be crying about numbers ?? Why did two get cut if its not enough ???
News flash but a ton of third and fourth liners play jv through the year
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

I wouldn't consider 37 kids trying out for JV and Varsity "healthy." That's basically 12 kids per grade. That's really not a lot to work with when you're trying to assemble two complete hockey teams. Many of the kids had to play JV and Varsity throughout the year so that they would have enough guys on the bench.[/quote]

Shouldn't have cut the two then if they needed the numbers.
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Tigers33 wrote:37 is plenty healthy!! Especially if that is 10-12. There are lots of AA schools that would love to have those numbers. That's not to mention I am sure a few quit or chose not to try out.
No it's not. Considering that a normal hockey team consists of 20 players and you can't have guys playing six periods of hockey every game day so if teams wanted to, they couldn't run 4 lines because guys would go over their limit. I believe the MSHSL limit is 4 periods of play per day. There are tons of schools throughout the state that only get 30-40 kids to tryout and they too are at a disadvantage when compared to some of the metro schools with enrollments of 2000+ kids.
defense

Post by defense »

hshockeyfan53 wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:37 is plenty healthy!! Especially if that is 10-12. There are lots of AA schools that would love to have those numbers. That's not to mention I am sure a few quit or chose not to try out.
No it's not. Considering that a normal hockey team consists of 20 players and you can't have guys playing six periods of hockey every game day so if teams wanted to, they couldn't run 4 lines because guys would go over their limit. I believe the MSHSL limit is 4 periods of play per day. There are tons of schools throughout the state that only get 30-40 kids to tryout and they too are at a disadvantage when compared to some of the metro schools with enrollments of 2000+ kids.
No one in outstate MN can compare numbers with the suburban huge schools, but that doesn't mean that 37 high schoolers trying out for hockey and two got cut is hurting at all. And the question remains , why cut then??
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

defense wrote:
hshockeyfan53 wrote:
12 seniors were all good enough to stay on and Hermantown is supposed to be crying about numbers ?? Why did two get cut if its not enough ???
News flash but a ton of third and fourth liners play jv through the year
I'm well aware. Many teams Varsity 4th line is their JV 1st line. Trust me I know how things work. I think what I'm trying to say is that I understand what Plante meant when he mentioned that they "only" had 37 kids tryout. If that number drops by 3 or 4 they would have a real problem assembling a competitive JV team. Plante is lucky though because there are teams with far worse numbers than that. I'm willing to guess that there were teams that barely had 30 tryout or even less.
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

defense wrote:
hshockeyfan53 wrote:
No one in outstate MN can compare numbers with the suburban huge schools, but that doesn't mean that 37 high schoolers trying out for hockey and two got cut is hurting at all. And the question remains , why cut then??
I don't think anyone is saying Hermantown is hurting. I think the thought is just that the number of kids they have come out for hockey is more in line with other Single A schools for the most part.
defense

Post by defense »

I thought some one was trying to compare Hermantown to Warroad, Roseau , etc. Which is simply ridiculous. I am ok with Hermantown being where they are in class A. But really if they wanted they could do just fine in AA. They wouldn't be a huge school in AA , but they would be competitive outside of the mega schools numbers wise and probably compete on the ice just the same as any school in AA regardless of size. This can be said of a lot of class A teams , which is kind of why class A is turning into a nice league .
in2hockey

Post by in2hockey »

Apollo only has a 25 man roster. No tryouts - No players are cut.
Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck »

Take nothing away from Hermantown great program and great people but do not use the numbers argument on A vs AA if you look at the rest of 7A the teams are lucky to roster 25 kids. Most have a freshman or like Hibbing two freshman rostered to get 25 kids and yes Hermantown due to a great program and a great chance at making the X pulls kids away from the others. One of Hermantowns D men left Hibbing to go there because of a Hibbing coaching change. They have also pulled kids from virginia,proctor and duluth. So I do firmly believe they could do well in AA but that is a choice that is left to that program and its coaches. All I say is that at least they representthe north quite well and good luck at the X!!
statein07

Post by statein07 »

Thunderstruck wrote:Take nothing away from Hermantown great program and great people but do not use the numbers argument on A vs AA if you look at the rest of 7A the teams are lucky to roster 25 kids. Most have a freshman or like Hibbing two freshman rostered to get 25 kids and yes Hermantown due to a great program and a great chance at making the X pulls kids away from the others. One of Hermantowns D men left Hibbing to go there because of a Hibbing coaching change. They have also pulled kids from virginia,proctor and Duluth!
You must be from rapids? Tell me where your starting goalie came from? Oh ya Hermantown. Tell me what players have been pulled from the range?
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

statein07 wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:Take nothing away from Hermantown great program and great people but do not use the numbers argument on A vs AA if you look at the rest of 7A the teams are lucky to roster 25 kids. Most have a freshman or like Hibbing two freshman rostered to get 25 kids and yes Hermantown due to a great program and a great chance at making the X pulls kids away from the others. One of Hermantowns D men left Hibbing to go there because of a Hibbing coaching change. They have also pulled kids from virginia,proctor and Duluth!
You must be from rapids? Tell me where your starting goalie came from? Oh ya Hermantown. Tell me what players have been pulled from the range?
It happens....get over it.
Dumba55

Post by Dumba55 »

Why don't they schedule games against Duluth east?
Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck »

Well last yr one of your defensive pairs at hermantown was a kid from Hibbing and a kid from Virginia. Whose dads still commute to the range for work.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

Dumba55 wrote:Why don't they schedule games against Duluth east?
East plays an independent schedule, preferring to play AA schools. If Hermantown was to move to AA, you can bet there would be a match-up. East spends a lot of time and money traveling to the cities to get those AA games on their schedule. They would love to add a local AA team other than CEC or GR to the schedule. They are planning on adding Duluth Marshall now that they are AA.

The Denfeld/East match up is a cross town rivalry that both teams want to maintain, so that is why East plays that one A team year-in, and year-out. They also maintain a border battle with Superior.
rainier

Post by rainier »

East never plays Hermantown or Duluth Marshall, which is a shame. I think some old disagreements and continuing grudges are to blame.

East plays Denfeld every year, so the "No reason to play A teams" shouldn't be a reason not to play the others.

Or perhaps Plante does not want to play East, because if they beat them, the calls to move to AA would grow even louder.

Could be some great games almost every year between all the Duluth teams, but personal B.S. seems to get in the way.

:?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

rainier wrote:
East never plays Hermantown or Duluth Marshall, which is a shame. I think some old disagreements and continuing grudges are to blame.

East plays Denfeld every year, so the "No reason to play A teams" shouldn't be a reason not to play the others.

Or perhaps Plante does not want to play East, because if they beat them, the calls to move to AA would grow even louder.

Could be some great games almost every year between all the Duluth teams, but personal B.S. seems to get in the way.

Ranier, public types are not known for their marketing/entrepreneurial skills so to them what's a few extra thousand dollars of ticket revenue when they can just levy on you and I. Stupid is as stupid does. These games would be packed house affairs. Get it done!!
statein07

Post by statein07 »

Thunderstruck wrote:Well last yr one of your defensive pairs at hermantown was a kid from Hibbing and a kid from Virginia. Whose dads still commute to the range for work.
And they lived in Hermantown and their families live in Hermantown...
rainier

Post by rainier »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
rainier wrote:

Ranier, public types are not known for their marketing/entrepreneurial skills so to them what's a few extra thousand dollars of ticket revenue when they can just levy on you and I. Stupid is as stupid does. These games would be packed house affairs. Get it done!!
They would be packed house affairs for sure. Once again the adults and their egos get in the way of the kids having some unforgettable fun.

Boooooooo! Whoever is responsible for these teams not playing, Boooooooo!

At least we will get to see Hermantown-Marshall and now East-Marshall every year. Someone needs to extend the olive branch between East and Hermantown and get these teams playing!
Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck »

statein07 wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:Well last yr one of your defensive pairs at hermantown was a kid from Hibbing and a kid from Virginia. Whose dads still commute to the range for work.
And they lived in Hermantown and their families live in Hermantown...
Moved there to play hockey!!! Enough said.
Sotaboy

Post by Sotaboy »

Congrats to Plante on 6 straight..... gotta move up bud