Will gas prices ever go down?

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will gas prices go down?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 27

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

I ride one of these to work which is 24 miles round trip which most of it is dirt road, it rides very comfortable at around 20-25 mph and its a 49.5cc so i don't need a cycle lisence or registration and it gets aound 80 miles per gallon, it beats driving my truck that gets around 12 miles a gallon

Just by punching some numbers i'll save almost a thousand bucks in 6 months of riding it to work during the spring/summer/fall and i paid $600 for it

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Gotta love the timing for the prices to jump up some more. I'm headed to Duluth tomorrow night to coach a soccer game, then down to Rochester for a weekend tourney and White Bear next Tuesday. I might have to take out a student loan just for the gas $.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Gotta love the timing for the prices to jump up some more. I'm headed to Duluth tomorrow night to coach a soccer game, then down to Rochester for a weekend tourney and White Bear next Tuesday. I might have to take out a student loan just for the gas $.

Bring a parka. The temp topped out in the low 40's near the Lake today.

And if the rain doesn't stop by early tomorrow., they'll be paddling kayaks and canoes on the field. Is the game you're coaching at Arlington Field?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

What will the impact of high fuel cost have on Travel hockey?
The biggest impact I see is Bantams and Jr gold #'s dropping, Bantams will go HS because it's more afforadable, Jr Gold players will opt not to spend all there money on gas to play hockey.

Also,I can't imagine the average multi player family being able to bear it, especially in long drive associations.

My kid wants to sell his truck for some little car that gets 25-30 MPG even though he loves that truck because it's great in the winter and safer.

It's amazing that on Monday gas jumped .20¢/gal from 7am to 2pm

Might as well grab your ankles because that's where they're going to be drilling from now on :x
EREmpireStrikesBack

east hockey wrote:
EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Gotta love the timing for the prices to jump up some more. I'm headed to Duluth tomorrow night to coach a soccer game, then down to Rochester for a weekend tourney and White Bear next Tuesday. I might have to take out a student loan just for the gas $.

Bring a parka. The temp topped out in the low 40's near the Lake today.

And if the rain doesn't stop by early tomorrow., they'll be paddling kayaks and canoes on the field. Is the game you're coaching at Arlington Field?

Lee
Will do, thanks for the heads up. Yeah, we are at Arlington.

EREmpireStrikesBack

What'd ya know, 2 min after posting they call to tell me it's canceled. Now I get to head up there in the middle of July, can't wait to see prices then. :oops:

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

smalls

Post by smalls »

Has anybody seen these "Smart Cars" drivin around? I have seen a few lately, what's the mpg look like on them guys?
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

smalls wrote:Has anybody seen these "Smart Cars" drivin around? I have seen a few lately, what's the mpg look like on them guys?
Supposedly, the mpg is 60. No air conditioning or air bags.
Knowlzee

What if.....

Post by Knowlzee »

What if ALL countries outside the US stopped supplying ANY oil? Would we drill/refine more of our own, then?

The great USA, at the economic mercy of Mexico, Canada, Norway,......Russia, Iran, and Saudia Arabia. How did this happen?

Sure we can get scooters, "smart cars", bikes, and even walk more, but the bottom line is we all have, and use cars powered by gas. India and China are also getting more and more cars, also powered by gas. So investors are speculating that over time the increased demand will eventually cause a shortage. How can the speculators mind be changed? If the USA made a commitment to drill more of their own oil, do you think a few investors may sell?

At what gas price will we be willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of risk to our pristine environment, for the opportunity to fill our cars with gas at a reasonable price, and travel to hockey games, like an American,....rather than a third world dependant on a donkey.
Neutron 14

Re: What if.....

Post by Neutron 14 »

Knowlzee wrote:At what gas price will we be willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of risk to our pristine environment, for the opportunity to fill our cars with gas at a reasonable price, and travel to hockey games, like an American,....rather than a third world dependant on a donkey.
If we had more of our own, surely the price would plummet as U.S. oil companies would through sheer patriotism sell it to us at below market rates. :roll:

I'm all for drilling, but for security reasons. We need much more nuclear, air, hydro, wind or anything else that reduces fossil fuel usage. I'm a tree hugger after all... :lol:
Can't Never Tried

Re: What if.....

Neutron 14 wrote:
Knowlzee wrote:At what gas price will we be willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of risk to our pristine environment, for the opportunity to fill our cars with gas at a reasonable price, and travel to hockey games, like an American,....rather than a third world dependant on a donkey.
If we had more of our own, surely the price would plummet as U.S. oil companies would through sheer patriotism sell it to us at below market rates. :roll:

I'm all for drilling, but for security reasons. We need much more nuclear, air, hydro, wind or anything else that reduces fossil fuel usage. I'm a tree hugger after all... :lol:
And here's what he does with them when he's done hugging them :shock:

:lol:
Knowlzee

Reply to Neut

Post by Knowlzee »

"If we had more of our own" oil, wouldn't the price drop because there would be more supply of oil? What does "patriotism" have to do with it? Can anything ever be sold at "below market rates"? Isn't the market rate,......the market rate? It is, what it is.

It is very noble that Neut is for "drilling, but for security reasons", but what does national security have to do with the need for more oil. The closest link of national security to oil,......may be that the explosion from Osama's bombs that were flown into the trade center buildings, were from fuel (oil) from the planes.

The fact is this country is powered by "fossil fuels", and has been a great influence in making us the economic power we are today. We are about to choose,.....if we want to continue to be the world's economic power, or give it up for that sake of a few plants and animals. Drill for more of our own oil,......or continue to send $135/barrel ($1.35 billion per day) to other countries.

P.S. The "air" power that Neut has referred to,.....is that of the hot variety associated with many posts on Minnhock? :)
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Knowlze buddy, just drop "our own oil" from your previous post because its both irrelevent and fictional to what we pay for gas. Your talking about the effect of a dime on 4 dollars. Who gives a Bush...
Knowlzee

supply,.....not ownership

Post by Knowlzee »

Neut is right in that it is not about ownership ("our own oil"), but it is certainly about supply. Since we use most of the oil, isn't it logical we should help increase supply,.....rather than crawl on our hands and knees to beg OPEC to increase supply.

Neuts real buddys, in his own words termed "tree huggers", have managed to convince us that it is more important to save a few plants and animals, than to produce oil. Therefore, our willing lawmakers have made it very difficult to produce more oil,....so we haven't. In the last 20 years, we have produced less oil, while at the same time have increased our demand, not to mention the increased demand of China and India.

Bottom line is the problem of rising gas prices is self inflicted, and won't be corrected until WE correct it ourselves. But it is going to take someone to stand up to the environmental lobby in this country. Presently, very few people, and certainly neither of the presidential candidates, are willing. So the price continues to rise. It will continue to rise, until we increase supply.

The question is at what price will we finally decide that it is more important to fill our gas tanks, than to protect a few plants and animals. Is it $5, $10, $20, $50 per gallon? We are presently on track to find out.
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

Per usual, knowlzee presents one side of the arguement, in this case, the supply side. What he neglects to take note of is the demand side of the equation. Is it possible the we as consumers can actually finally start thinking of ways to minimize our consumption of energy to make a decrease in the price of energy due to less demand? It appears from some preliminary(very) data that this may be the case.

AY 8)
Can't Never Tried

A recent report out stated that due to the decrease in miles driven, that US demand for gas was down and supplies were actually up, yet the price at the pump still went up during this period ???

No wonder the speculators are being investigated.

Also want to say thanks to Exxon for the way they chumped the Native Alaskans out of their land, their livelihood, and now the money for reparations they had coming after the spill.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... htm?csp=34
Knowlzee

The demand side,.....for Angus

Post by Knowlzee »

Angus, we have been "thinking of ways" to reduce demand for at least 30 years. So far we have come up with by government subsidy and incentives,......a few windmills,......tiny cars,......planting, growing, harvesting, and processing food as a filler in our fuel, etc. All of these (and others) are still less than 10% of consumption.

Certainly, as consumers we can all get tiny cars,.....stay home for the family vacation,......walk where possible,......take the bus and little train, etc. to reduce demand. But the bottom line is we USE fuel in this country. Planes, trains, trucks use fuel. We ship goods with fuel. Are we willing to have less items to buy in our stores, for a lower fuel price? Are we willing to wait for the optimum time to ship items, for a lower fuel price?

We have been delaying the inevitable of low supply by "thinking of ways" to reduce demand for years. Now the inevitable is here. It would be different if there was not oil. But there is plenty of oil,......we are just too brainwashed to go get it.

What is the price we will pay?
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

Some very interesting thoughts and opinions on our nations oil dilema, but the most important question I have is....did AY get that address yet?
Can't Never Tried

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Some very interesting thoughts and opinions on our nations oil dilema, but the most important question I have is....did AY get that address yet?
I believe he is still drilling for it! :wink:
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Some very interesting thoughts and opinions on our nations oil dilema, but the most important question I have is....did AY get that address yet?
I believe he is still drilling for it! :wink:
Only when he's not arguing with Dittoheads...
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

Still looking through the phone books of Mpls/St. Paul, but can find no listing of "DMom" to try and find an approximate address to begin my search for said entertainer. Once I ascertain said address, I will utilize public transportation or bike to said locale. Further, using DMom's advice, I will have flowers and a card in hand explaining the entire situation and hope for the best.

AY 8)
Can't Never Tried

AngusYoung wrote:Still looking through the phone books of Mpls/St. Paul, but can find no listing of "DMom" to try and find an approximate address to begin my search for said entertainer. Once I ascertain said address, I will utilize public transportation or bike to said locale. Further, using DMom's advice, I will have flowers and a card in hand explaining the entire situation and hope for the best.

AY 8)
Let's see........ :-k she spends a lot of time at the superrink...(whining about soccer moms taking up parking spots)

She says there are other entertainers in her neighborhood :-k plus the ample free time here chattin it up on the "bored", probably while the cleaning lady is tidying things up before Mr. Dmom gets home from golf...so that leads probably to the snobby Wayzata -Tonka area...that's where I would start :lol:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:Still looking through the phone books of Mpls/St. Paul, but can find no listing of "DMom" to try and find an approximate address to begin my search for said entertainer. Once I ascertain said address, I will utilize public transportation or bike to said locale. Further, using DMom's advice, I will have flowers and a card in hand explaining the entire situation and hope for the best.

AY 8)
Let's see........ :-k she spends a lot of time at the superrink...(whining about soccer moms taking up parking spots)

She says there are other entertainers in her neighborhood :-k plus the ample free time here chattin it up on the "bored", probably while the cleaning lady is tidying things up before Mr. Dmom gets home from golf...so that leads probably to the snobby Wayzata -Tonka area...that's where I would start :lol:
You forgot about the part where she was talking about driving an ATV down the road. You think we drive ATVs out here? Nuh-uh. We drive these:

DMom

Post by DMom »

You should all be very afraid, maybe I'm already good friends with Mrs. Govs :lol: :lol:

You are all internet saavy. I already gave you her last name. Her stage name anyway. If she signs on here, she'll be GGGGMom. What do you say, the first one to find the website gets a bonus hundred posts??

I am trying to remember kids may read these posts and I don't want to make it too easy on them. Gotta say thanks for the laughs....I will never look at candy the same way again!!!