Best weekend of the year

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

east hockey
Site Admin

Best weekend of the year

Post by east hockey »

I say this even with East being out of it...this is the most amazing weekend of the year. The tradition, the anticipation. 14 games in four days; it's almost enough for a hockey junkie. This weekend represents an almost ritualistic passage from winter to spring for me, also. It culminates in going from thinking almost exclusively about hockey to thinking about the vacation my wife and I take every spring. Plus, all those memories about past tournaments, past teams, past players are relived this weekend.

Fantastic stuff.

What makes it so great for others?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
WildTwin

Best Weekend

Post by WildTwin »

I'm a 1976 grad of Grand Rapids High School, now live in Florida. And every year I still watch and keep up with state tournament. High School hockey is my fondest memories of high school. The weekend I spent in St. Paul to watch the Indians repeat as state champions was the best time ever. Even had my first beer then-and my first hangover the next morning. :D When people ask me what I miss most of all about Minnesota my reply is: "Northern Lights, Fall Foliage and HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY". We have a semi-pro hockey team down here, but it just does not compare to the excitement of Minnesota High School Hockey.
CRS

Post by CRS »

Other than the blowouts in the A bracket. This really has been an exciting tournament so far. The fact that no seeded team has advanced adds to the excitement. Question: Since they started seeding teams (Date?) Has there ever been a tournament where none of the seeded teams advanced to the semis?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Lee-everything you said is so true! It is the best weekend of the year and semifinal friday IMHO is the best hockey day of the year. Both A semis should be great games and I think both AA games should be great too!

The only game I was truly dissapointed with yesterday was Eagan. I have watched this team for years and while my hat is off to Moorhead and Bitzer for doing their thing, it was dissapointing for me and can't imagine how bad it must feel for Eagan players and fans that this team wasn't able to bring their best game to the X. There are a lot of people on this board who will disagree with me, but I think Eagan really could have won this thing and this was their last chance to be really good for a long time.

That being said this tourney brings back so many great memories. I had 2 brothers play in it and I told them the other day getting to watch them play at the tourney was one of the best memories of my life. Such an honor. My favorite days were the mid to late 80's with the great Burnsville teams with Edina winning a few titles in there and of course the beginning of the Jefferson dynasty. Those Jaguar teams were like nothing else. Watching East last night I was thinking back to those days in the early 90's when it seemed so many times teams had them beat, yet they would always find a way to win. They just had so much skill, but more importantly the WILL to win and the heart of a champion, never backing down and always seemingly finding a way to win. That was a very very special group that I don't think we ever see the likes of again.

Can't wait for tonight.
Hermmunster58

Post by Hermmunster58 »

I agree 100%! The excitement has been second to none. Todays games should only make it that much better and a weekend I will remember for a long time!