Big Hits

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

warriors41

Big Hits

Post by warriors41 »

An interesting question has been debated in another topic that might warrant more insight.

If an offensive player skating in the middle of the ice has his head down, does a defensive player have a responsibility to not him violently, even if doing so would be clean by rulebook standards?
The51

Post by The51 »

No, he should hit him (cleanly) as hard as he can so the player will learn to keep his head up
hawkhockey

Re: Big Hits

Post by hawkhockey »

warriors41 wrote:An interesting question has been debated in another topic that might warrant more insight.

If an offensive player skating in the middle of the ice has his head down, does a defensive player have a responsibility to not him violently, even if doing so would be clean by rulebook standards?
This is boys high school hockey. You play the body in this game otherwise we'd be watching something similar to girls hockey with tons of stick waving and eyes glued to the puck. You're taught at a young age to keep your head up. Every once in a while you forget, and it happens to everyone, and you get plowed, reminding you to keep your head up next time. If that big hit doesnt happen at the high school level, do we take it out of juniors too? How about college? NHL? If the situation calls for it, you hit him, it's not your job to make sure he's ready to get hit, just like its not a shooters job to make sure a goalie is ready for a shot.
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

I watched our best player annihilate some poor 3rd line player that found himself with the puck at center ice. Text book clean hit. The kid laid on the ice convulsing with a concussion, it ended his season. He was hauled off on a stretcher.

The hit ended the play. It resulted in no goal. Our player could have easily stripped the puck and gained possession.

The talk in the lobby was about how the hit was clean, etc. It was malicious and unnecessary.

You can't simply toss the fact that we play against people out the window. It is a game.
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

bestpopcorn wrote:I watched our best player annihilate some poor 3rd line player that found himself with the puck at center ice. Text book clean hit. The kid laid on the ice convulsing with a concussion, it ended his season. He was hauled off on a stretcher.

The hit ended the play. It resulted in no goal. Our player could have easily stripped the puck and gained possession.

The talk in the lobby was about how the hit was clean, etc. It was malicious and unnecessary.

You can't simply toss the fact that we play against people out the window. It is a game.
Interesting how you choose to victimize a POOR THIRD LINE player. Third line in HS Hockey is a quality player who knows how to play. If a player hits clean it is clean regardless if a slow, fast, big or small kid.

The technique is what is taught not if you are strong or hit solid or not. Then players do get hurt slowing up, etc.

Sorry the player got hurt, accidents happen.

I would imagine he considers himself a Varsity Hockey Player and compete, not some poor third line player.
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

Interesting how you choose to victimize a POOR THIRD LINE player. Third line in HS Hockey is a quality player who knows how to play. If a player hits clean it is clean regardless if a slow, fast, big or small kid.

The technique is what is taught not if you are strong or hit solid or not. Then players do get hurt slowing up, etc.

I would imagine he considers himself a Varsity Hockey Player and compete, not some poor third line player.
I didn't see that one coming... I surely didn't mean to hurt the poor lads feelings. Strange that we don't want to call him names but are willing to break his neck.

So then the question becomes, is there a time when a far larger, faster, stronger, 18 year old senior player takes into consideration the consequences of his actions that are within the rules? Does he ever look down the ice at the 140 pound freshman and think...maybe I will use some care?

Anyone that plays adult league knows that idiot that they hope doesn't come tonight because he takes the game far to personally. He comes loaded for bear. When someone suggests that he calm down a bit he spits his load on the ice and grunts something about how "this is f'n hockey...blah, blah..." Whatever.

The next comment will be about how "you can't compare adult league with high school because...well...because...spit...chew..grunt..this is gosh darn high school hockey and if you can't take the heat..grunt...stay out.. "

It is all so much macho BS.
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

I am of the opinion that if the hit is clean he owes it to the game to put the hurt on. If someone wants to start and join a noncheck league than fire one up. Otherwise keep your head up, lift some weights, and work on your game.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Grandindian: Totally agree. If a skater does not like the physical play there is always pond hockey or soccer.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

bestpopcorn wrote:

I didn't see that one coming... I surely didn't mean to hurt the poor lads feelings. Strange that we don't want to call him names but are willing to break his neck.

So then the question becomes, is there a time when a far larger, faster, stronger, 18 year old senior player takes into consideration the consequences of his actions that are within the rules? Does he ever look down the ice at the 140 pound freshman and think...maybe I will use some care?

Anyone that plays adult league knows that idiot that they hope doesn't come tonight because he takes the game far to personally. He comes loaded for bear. When someone suggests that he calm down a bit he spits his load on the ice and grunts something about how "this is f'n hockey...blah, blah..." Whatever.

The next comment will be about how "you can't compare adult league with high school because...well...because...spit...chew..grunt..this is gosh darn high school hockey and if you can't take the heat..grunt...stay out.. "

It is all so much macho BS.
I 100 years we will all be chicks!
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

I was playing in the state tournament.
My winger had the puck behind the net.
I broke down the slot and yelled for the puck.

He passed it to me, but passed it hard and it went into my skates.

I looked down to dig it out and, BAM, the defensemen nailed me good.

In fact the follow through was so hard, that he accidentally stepped on my face.
He had just enough reaction time to pull most of his weight off of that step so I didn't get cut...... much.

No penalty.
Good clean hit.

A few seconds later the wistle blew for a face off = offsides or something.

I skated over and told him, nice hit.
Because, it was, and that is what he is supposed to do.

Anyway, I agree that it is part of the game.
You're gonna take some hits, even if you are good at keeping your head up.
Sometimes you have to look down, like digging the puck into your skates.

I would not like to see that part of the game taken away.
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

Funny.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good crushing hit at the blue line. Both players heads up, yada...

So there is never a time to use care?
RonBurgandy

Post by RonBurgandy »

bestpopcorn wrote:I watched our best player annihilate some poor 3rd line player that found himself with the puck at center ice. Text book clean hit. The kid laid on the ice convulsing with a concussion, it ended his season. He was hauled off on a stretcher.

Popcorn...sure hope you are not from Hutch...
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

bestpopcorn wrote:
Funny.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good crushing hit at the blue line. Both players heads up, yada...

So there is never a time to use care?

Care about yourself first, No cheapshots, Keep your head up and play the game... We do not need another thread with concerned parents trying to soften up the game...

When I played I was hit extremely hard on many occasions.. Did I cry about it? Quit the game? Whine to my coaches for mercy? Hell no, I went out there on a mission to right my wrong, and lay out someone who made the same mistake I did, or get a goal to make up to my team for me being a dummy and not paying attn.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

RonBurgandy wrote:

Popcorn...sure hope you are not from Hutch...
HA
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Of course the girls have to keep their heads up. It's such a goofy accusation against them. How do they keep distance between themselves and the opponent? With exception to physical strength, is it not possible the girls game might be a little bit better because there's more finesse involved and is less violent! Nah, of course not... :roll:
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Puckfan72

Post by Puckfan72 »

Hit'em hard, hit'em clean, knock'em on their butts and get them off the puck.That's how it should be. Hitting a guy for the sole purpose of injuring and ending his season is overboard.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Maybe you should ask Kerr for Duluth East if he feels bad for laying out people twice his size
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

It's embarassing when a big guy on our team flattens a little fella on the other team. Some forget this is high school, not the NCAA's or NHL.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Tripod wrote:It's embarassing when a big guy on our team flattens a little fella on the other team. Some forget this is high school, not the NCAA's or NHL.
And People like you who want the game to be soft seem to forget this is hockey, not figure skating
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

GPGT wrote:

And People like you who want the game to be soft seem to forget this is hockey, not figure skating

I always forget, the TMZ crowd would cheer just about anything.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Tripod wrote:GPGT wrote:

I always forget, the TMZ crowd would cheer just about anything.

Ahh , what?
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I'll say this much....there is a difference between a Scott Stevens and Ulf Samuelson....both delivered bone crushing hits, one stepped across the line often the other did not. As long as a guy isn't cherry picking....ala Kronwall in Detroit... I see no problem. Lighting a guy up who is not a threat but has his head down is iffy. There is a reason you don't see much of it at higher levels, its a great way to start a war.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

There are plenty of good hard hits in high school hockey. A decent part of the game.

There are very few that leave players injured or incapacitated for any amount of time.

I'd say, let's not try to govern on the few..
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

GPGT wrote:
Tripod wrote:It's embarassing when a big guy on our team flattens a little fella on the other team. Some forget this is high school, not the NCAA's or NHL.
There is a large difference between "softening the game" and making the best hockey play. There are plenty of times when hitting is not the best play at the given time. I'm all for the big [legal] hits as much as the next guy, but not for the sake of being tough.
I'd also say a bigger player can teach a player a lesson without hitting him in such a way that could end his career. I've never understood the joy a big player gets in leveling a much smaller player.

I know my opinion isn't the same as what many post on here, but I also know it's shared by many. It's a rough game and that's one thing that many love about it, but common sense needs to come into play at some point.
RRubberbeeskit

Sec 8A Warroads Nelson

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

Puckfan72 wrote:Hit'em hard, hit'em clean, knock'em on their butts and get them off the puck.That's how it should be. Hitting a guy for the sole purpose of injuring and ending his season is overboard.
Warroads Nelson Made a Big time hit on #10 from EGF in the 1st period.
Once again the kid comes in with his head down. He was slow to get up but ok..

1-0 EGF 3 mins into the 3rd period.