JGB Mr. Hockey & Goaltender of the Year

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

minnhock007

JGB Mr. Hockey & Goaltender of the Year

Post by minnhock007 »

Now that the season is over, who do you think would win the Mr. Hockey or goaltender of the year award at the JGB level?
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

Here you go, take it or leave it but here are the players I made note of during the course of the season. Sorry, but outside of Lakeville I didn't catch too many other D8 games.

JGB POTY: #7 Lakeville

1st team:

F #7 Lakeville
F #8 Lakeville
F #19 RAVE

D #2 Edina
D #15 Lakeville

G #30 RAVE (yes he had a rough state tourney but his GAA was under 1 on the season)

2nd team:

F #12 Edina
F #17 Wessy's
F #12 White Bear-Orange

D #11(I think) Minnetonka
D #2 RAVE

G #31 (maybe) Elk River (question it all you want but this kid was pretty good. If it wasn't for him, they wouldn't have made the MHL playoffs.

3rd team:

F #9 Roseville
F #7 RAVE
F #16 Roseville

D #13 Buffalo
D #15 Burnsville

G #30 Lakeville

Honorable mentions:

F #2 Wessy's
F #3 White Bear-Orange
F #17 White Bear-Orange
F #12 Buffalo
F #10 Inver Grove
F #9 Lakeville
F #10 Edina
F #9 Osseo
F #9 Burnsville
F #15 Roseville

D #3 Edina
D #4 Wayzata
D #16 Tartan (when he wasn't playing cheap)
D #18??? A captain on Inver Grove
D #15 Woodbury-White

G--SSP's goalie
G #1 RAVE
G #1 Edina
G #1 (?? their top goalie) White Bear-Orange (when he was on he was real good but when he was off (Woodbury in state) it was ugly.
G-#30 (??) Inver Grove

I may have missed a couple but for the most part I think I got everyone.
Avalanche19

Post by Avalanche19 »

Good choices Lars, 7 and 8 form Lakeville were outstanding players throughout the year, number 9 also should be in the same breath imo. I noticed #12 on Edina in warmups of the Wayzata game, he had a VERY good shot, and i saw that again in the lakeville game.
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

Avalanche19 wrote:Good choices Lars, 7 and 8 form Lakeville were outstanding players throughout the year, number 9 also should be in the same breath imo. I noticed #12 on Edina in warmups of the Wayzata game, he had a VERY good shot, and i saw that again in the lakeville game.
I agree with #9 from Lakeville but I thought by playing with #7 & #8 made him that much better of a player whereas the players I put in those 3 teams all stood out individually. Don't get me wrong, #9 is good (which is why I still included him as a HM). The sick thing about #12 (Edina) is that I guess he is just a sophomore. He is a good skater, has a good shot, and is just tenacious.
Avalanche19

Post by Avalanche19 »

UNDlars wrote:
Avalanche19 wrote:Good choices Lars, 7 and 8 form Lakeville were outstanding players throughout the year, number 9 also should be in the same breath imo. I noticed #12 on Edina in warmups of the Wayzata game, he had a VERY good shot, and i saw that again in the lakeville game.
I agree with #9 from Lakeville but I thought by playing with #7 & #8 made him that much better of a player whereas the players I put in those 3 teams all stood out individually. Don't get me wrong, #9 is good (which is why I still included him as a HM). The sick thing about #12 (Edina) is that I guess he is just a sophomore. He is a good skater, has a good shot, and is just tenacious.
I agree any player would be made better with 7 and 8, think Alex Tanguay when he played with Forsberg and Hejduk for the Avalanche. However there were games when #9 was the show, and made 7 and 8 look irrelevant. I also noticed # 5 on Edina has good hands and is pretty good shifty skater if that makes any sense.
D1Scout

Re: JGB Mr. Hockey & Goaltender of the Year

Post by D1Scout »

minnhock007 wrote:Now that the season is over, who do you think would win the Mr. Hockey or goaltender of the year award at the JGB level?
I only saw a handful of games throughout the JGB season so my knowledge is limited. And I will only talk about my top three forward picks. I'll leave defense and goalies for someone else to comment on.

Several of you may argue with me but when I look at talent at this level of play - points mean nothing to me. There simply is too much disparity in talent to judge the best players by points. There could be a kid with 50 goals but that doesn't automatically make him a "good hockey player." Maybe it's because he floats (leaving his defensive zone out manned) or he doesn't make the right choice on the ice and shoots every time no matter if he has a good scoring chance. You can get a lot of off-angle stupid goals to go in at this level. Hence the points. Also, I'm not impressed with a player that takes the shot because he doesn't recognize an odd-man advantage leaving one of his own team mates wide open in front of the net. You get my point.

Bottom line - I simply look for talent.

After watching most of the MHL play-down and the JGB Play-off games on Sunday: I pick the following three players that would make up a great forward line. (Please forgive me for omitting good players whose team didn't make it into the Play-down or Playoffs.)

#7 (RAVE), #7 (Lakeville) and #2 (Wessy's) were some of the stronger players I saw at this level.

#7 (RAVE) had some of the best vision on the ice that I saw and is a gifted skater. He's strong on his skates and strong on the boards and in the corners. He controls the play very well. His passes were crisp and on target.

#7 (Lakeville) is aggressive and can make things happen out there. He's strong in the slot and can put the puck in the net. He floats a bit too much in my opinion but that may be a coached situation. He's gritty and gets in your face.

#2 (Wessy's) plays off the puck better than most I saw there and is a very smart hockey player. He's big and can be physical, as well.

Those are my thoughts.

Also, please don't try to email me directly - I won't respond. Thanks.
wesboy9

Post by wesboy9 »

#17 for wessys. Yeah he was on my team. All the games Ive played and watched I never saw anyone better. Never missed a practice and always worked hard at them. Easily would have dominated JGA should have been playing varsity #2 for wessys was also really good he had a lot of goals and assists. Unless #7and#8 for lakeville are as good as they say they are then 17 for wessys is the best.
minnhock007

Post by minnhock007 »

Is there an official all state team for JGA or JGB? Just curious.
FBK19

Post by FBK19 »

Are you guys for real with all this? Let me remind you this is JGB. And why are you still arguing over who is better? The season is over and its time to move on to spring and summer hockey, for those who even do that. I just say congrats to players who had good seasons whomever you may be.
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

minnhock007 wrote:Is there an official all state team for JGA or JGB? Just curious.
No there are not.
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

FBK19 wrote:Are you guys for real with all this? Let me remind you this is JGB. And why are you still arguing over who is better? The season is over and its time to move on to spring and summer hockey, for those who even do that. I just say congrats to players who had good seasons whomever you may be.
You're totally entitled to your opinion, but if it were me I wouldn't be hard on players caring about things like this. If it didn't matter, they wouldn't have recognition like this at the high school & college levels. Many of these kids are seniors and it was their last season of organized hockey. Yes it's JGB - but it's still important to many of the kids that played it.

If it's truly not important then why even spend time reading and responding to blogs about JGB?
Rossbury21

Post by Rossbury21 »

I think that #16 from Rochester should have made the team, he got alot of penalties and was suspended during their playoffs, but when he played, he scored, i think he scored in every game i saw Rochester play.
FBK19

Post by FBK19 »

MNHockeyStats wrote:You're totally entitled to your opinion, but if it were me I wouldn't be hard on players caring about things like this. If it didn't matter, they wouldn't have recognition like this at the high school & college levels. Many of these kids are seniors and it was their last season of organized hockey. Yes it's JGB - but it's still important to many of the kids that played it.

If it's truly not important then why even spend time reading and responding to blogs about JGB?
It not that its not important its the fact that half these guys argue about who is better at the JGB level. The guys who are good dont need to talk themselves up. This thread thing just adds to the arguing. Im just following up on the state tourny i had some friends on Lakeville. The next step for JG is to just play good competative hockey without all the bs.
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

FBK19 wrote:
MNHockeyStats wrote:You're totally entitled to your opinion, but if it were me I wouldn't be hard on players caring about things like this. If it didn't matter, they wouldn't have recognition like this at the high school & college levels. Many of these kids are seniors and it was their last season of organized hockey. Yes it's JGB - but it's still important to many of the kids that played it.

It not that its not important its the fact that half these guys argue about who is better at the JGB level. The guys who are good dont need to talk themselves up. This thread thing just adds to the arguing. Im just following up on the state tourny i had some friends on Lakeville. The next step for JG is to just play good competative hockey without all the bs.
You're totally right - there are a lot of players that talk themselves up on threads like this one. And most times it is a lot of B.S. I guess my point was - there was a valid question asked when this thread began. Yes, there were players responding but there were also some valid, honest & unbiased responses from coaches and scouts. Those opinions have merit and are not just kids talking themselves up. So, I guess, we're both right.
FBK19

Post by FBK19 »

Yes very true. But in my opinion i do not think there are really scouts at JGB level. I know many scouts myself and dont think they would ever attend a JGB game.
Ontheice

Post by Ontheice »

FBK19 wrote:Yes very true. But in my opinion i do not think there are really scouts at JGB level. I know many scouts myself and dont think they would ever attend a JGB game.
Yep they are too busy scouting Sethy
21troll

Post by 21troll »

Yes very true. But in my opinion i do not think there are really scouts at JGB level. I know many scouts myself and dont think they would ever attend a JGB game.
That could be true but at the tournament this past weekend, I seen at least 2 that I knew that where looking at kids and taking notes. What does that mean, I do not know. Is there a future for some of them? Maybe, I wish them luck.
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

FBK19 wrote:Yes very true. But in my opinion i do not think there are really scouts at JGB level. I know many scouts myself and dont think they would ever attend a JGB game.
No there weren't any D1 scouts but I saw and talked with a few scouts from the MJHL who were at the JGB state tourney.
Rossbury21

Post by Rossbury21 »

UNDlars wrote:
No there weren't any D1 scouts but I saw and talked with a few scouts from the MJHL who were at the JGB state tourney.
yeah, i got talked to by two MJHL scouts and i didn't even play in the tourny
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

Think what you want - but there were scouts. I don't claim to know ALL scouts from this area but I do know there were some MJHL, D3 and at least one guy that scouts D1. I guess he also drove up for some of the JGA tournament, too. Do you guys have any idea just how many scouts live & work in this area??? MJHL, NAHL, USHL, D3, D1, & the NHL.

Minnesota is a state with a great hockey tradition and player development at different levels. There are lots of kids that fall through the high school cracks and end up elsewhere. I'm not saying anyone will go anywhere from this level - but you never know?

Scouts follow hockey players and not all of them trust high school coaches for keeping every kid with potential. Scouts go where the games are. Just because the HS tournament is over doesn't mean they stop going to games. Many of them will be at the Ted Brill in April (and yes I know the TBG8 is made up of senior varsity players not JGB.) but at the Great 8 there could be between 60-100 scouts of varying affiliations - is it really hard to believe the JGB or JGA State Championships could attract 4 of them?

I am well aware that the chance of a scout finding a prospect at this level is rare - but don't sell yourselves short. You never know what a higher level team may be looking for???
FBK19

Post by FBK19 »

I knew there were MJHL scouts there but by scouts i ment D1 scouts sorry for not clairifying that. My advice to people thinking about playing MJHL is to be careful. Not saying its bad, just that it can be expensive and they own your rights remember. Just know what your getting into, dont pass up or forget about school and college and such. Well i am a senior and this was my only year of jr gold, and i have to say it was pretty fun. The league has a few kinks to work out with fighting and such, but other than that it was pretty fun.
JGBHockey9

Post by JGBHockey9 »

1st line: #7 Lakeville ( Cam " sick nasty" Naasz)
#8 Lakeville ( Mertzy)
#9 Lakeville ( Sonny )

Defense: #9 Rave (Thomsen I think his name was)
#15 Lakeville ( Miller)

Goalie # 30 Lakeville( Simm Bob is his name, you better not forget it)

That is a joke Lars that you put our goalie at third team and had the Rave goalie on first team. You saw the goals that he let in v.s Roseville in that first game. Nice stop on that last goal, the kid didn't even move his stick. And for saying that I am an honorable mention is pethetic and i dont appreciate you saying that all the kids on your 3 teams stand out individualy. That is a bunch of crap, the only kid who sticks out by himself in Jr. Gold b is #7 Lakeville my boy Cam Naasz. Me and #8 made each other better all season long, and thanks to everyone who doubted us thru the year especially rite before the state tourney(Kraven 16 whoever you are), and solid job to your Rave boys making a nice 2 and out in the Tourney. And if any Edina kids look at this, congrats on your good year. I thought you were the hardest team we played all year. We had a battle in all 3 games and you were a very clean team. Also Roseville congrats on a strong finish in the Tourney, you guys never gave up and it was a lot of fun playing you in that State Championship game. LAKEVILLE STATE CHAMPS!
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

JGBHockey9 wrote:1st line: #7 Lakeville ( Cam " sick nasty" Naasz)
#8 Lakeville ( Mertzy)
#9 Lakeville ( Sonny )

Defense: #9 Rave (Thomsen I think his name was)
#15 Lakeville ( Miller)

Goalie # 30 Lakeville( Simm Bob is his name, you better not forget it)

That is a joke Lars that you put our goalie at third team and had the Rave goalie on first team. You saw the goals that he let in v.s Roseville in that first game. Nice stop on that last goal, the kid didn't even move his stick. And for saying that I am an honorable mention is pethetic and i dont appreciate you saying that all the kids on your 3 teams stand out individualy. That is a bunch of crap, the only kid who sticks out by himself in Jr. Gold b is #7 Lakeville my boy Cam Naasz. Me and #8 made each other better all season long, and thanks to everyone who doubted us thru the year especially rite before the state tourney(Kraven 16 whoever you are), and solid job to your Rave boys making a nice 2 and out in the Tourney. And if any Edina kids look at this, congrats on your good year. I thought you were the hardest team we played all year. We had a battle in all 3 games and you were a very clean team. Also Roseville congrats on a strong finish in the Tourney, you guys never gave up and it was a lot of fun playing you in that State Championship game. LAKEVILLE STATE CHAMPS!
If you want me to name the best players during the state tourney, then I would have had your (Lakeville) goalie at the top and wouldn't have even considered #30 for RAVE. If you look at the entire season I give the edge to my goalie. Call me biased but you can't argue the stats that he put it up.

Did I say that you were a horrible player???? No. I gave my opinion and just because I have a different point of view about my top 9 forwards (that didn't include #9) I'm pathetic? C'mon man. You gotta know (or you'll learn as you get older) that people are going to give opinions that differ from yours. I respected your team and your coaches all year long and thought that the best team won the state title. Yeah we layed in egg at state, I can't argue that.