JGB State

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

Consolation:

White Bear-Orange 4
Buffalo 2

3rd:

Edina 3
Woodbury-White 0

Championship:

Lakeville 5
Roseville 3

Congrats to Lakeville on an awesome season. You guys had the target on your backs since January and you kept your heads and continued to play great hockey.
Sauce2122

Post by Sauce2122 »

bladesofsteel wrote:woodbury may not win, but i dont think lakeville has a chance to win the whole thing either so untill you do, u might just want to focus on playing
yea, i'm not gunna talk, i'll just let the place we got and the place woodburry got talk for me bladesofsteel. SEChockeyfan, i told you woodburry would lose because their cheap, congrats to number 27 for getting kicked out of 2/3 of the games at state.

Congrats to Edina for taking third, and roseville played a good game. Congrats to WBL for taking consolation and buffalo for putting up a good fight.

Lars, even though it didnt end the way you guys wanted it to, you guys had a helluva good season and team.

That was the funnest tournament and season of my entire life
JR GOLD FOR LIFE!!!!!
Im so glad i decided to play
SEChockeyfan08

Post by SEChockeyfan08 »

Congrats to you on winning state sauce, but all i was trying to say is that you take every chance you get to rip on woodbury on here. they had a prety good team that was plagued by a few players who do nothing but take penalties and cheap shots. I think that they should deserve a little more respect rather than being labeled a cheap team and a team that just goes out to hurt.
Sauce2122

Post by Sauce2122 »

ya i see where your coming from with that. they had 3-4 kids that were constantly getting penaltys that screwed them in state. They were o.k. at best during the season but finished off strong and looked like a different team. But i'm not gunna lie, i just dont like them. For one, they tried accusing us of sharpening our sticks and trying to stab people, how immature can you be? Their coaches where yelling and complaining the entire game. And at districts, in the handshake, one of the coaches squeezed a couple of our players hands as hard as he could and said, "We'll see you again."(I guess not) And after the game when we had 7 penalties and they had 14, their coach tried telling mine that "We need to get our kids under control." And if you ask any other team, we are in control the entire game and dont do stupid stuff. And even though a few kids shouldnt ruin the entire team, number 27 was the biggest headcase i had ever seen, the coach should have been able to get that kid under control before state. I just plain dont like woodburry.
minnhock007

Post by minnhock007 »

I thought this tournament went very well, except for the bad reffing. IMO it was unfortunate that Lakeville and RAVE didn't meet in the championship, because I think it would have been the most entertaining game. Congratulations to Lakeville for winning the state championship. You definately earned it, especially since you had the pressure of the #1 ranking in state for most of the season.
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

minnhock007 wrote:I thought this tournament went very well, except for the bad reffing. IMO it was unfortunate that Lakeville and RAVE didn't meet in the championship, because I think it would have been the most entertaining game. Congratulations to Lakeville for winning the state championship. You definitely earned it, especially since you had the pressure of the #1 ranking in state for most of the season.
Congratulations to Lakeville. You guys never let up.

And I couldn't agree more about the reffing. I saw several really obvious penalties - right in front of the ref - and he left his whistle in his pocket. I think the officiating really hurt some of the teams that play a "cleaner style" of hockey. i.e Edina & RAVE. Those guys are used to District 6 refs that call you for blocking out at the face-offs. The only legal hits are checks - Absolutely NO stick work is allowed. If a stick is parallel to the ice and it touches anypart of an opposing team player... it's a HOOK. period. But the District 2 refs let almost all of the stick work go. That really changes the game. I kept seeing kids getting pulled down and then looking at the ref for a call and nothing???

It still was a fun tournament and I think Lakeville adapted to the officiating better than the other teams.
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

In response to the reffing, you can look at it through 2 vantage points really:

1) They let too much go and it hurt the style of play of certain teams.

OR

2) This is the state championship and you have to expect them not to call as many penalties and let the players decide the outcome instead of the refs.

I can see both vantage points but at least one thing was consistent (IMO), I saw all games being called fairly similar.
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

UNDlars wrote:In response to the reffing, you can look at it through 2 vantage points really:

OR

2) This is the state championship and you have to expect them not to call as many penalties and let the players decide the outcome instead of the refs.

I can see both vantage points but at least one thing was consistent (IMO), I saw all games being called fairly similar.
I know what you're saying - all teams were faced with the same quality of officiating and let's just let the players decide the game - not the refs. The problem is... the reason refs are on the ice is to stop players from getting away with penalties. Unfortunately, that's not what happened this weekend.

My point is this... if teams are used to penalties getting called and then they're not called, it completely changes the game for them. For example - some players, when attacking the offensive zone, may prefer to gain a tight body position and drive around a defenseman... knowing the defenseman can't hook them. Well, all of a sudden they're getting hooked and impeded (with no call), it changes everything for them. Can a player be expected to change the style of play he's had throughout the season in one weekend? It obviously gives an advantage to the teams that depend on stick work to embellish their abilities.

The best way to take care of this is to have ALL districts follow USA hockey rules and not have their own local interpretations of the rules.

That way ALL teams will have the same advantage and games would be decided by the skill of playing the game rather than the skill of getting away with penalties.
minnhock007

Post by minnhock007 »

MNHockeyStats wrote:
UNDlars wrote:In response to the reffing, you can look at it through 2 vantage points really:

OR

I know what you're saying - all teams were faced with the same quality of officiating and let's just let the players decide the game - not the refs. The problem is... the reason refs are on the ice is to stop players from getting away with penalties. Unfortunately, that's not what happened this weekend.

My point is this... if teams are used to penalties getting called and then they're not called, it completely changes the game for them. For example - some players, when attacking the offensive zone, may prefer to gain a tight body position and drive around a defenseman... knowing the defenseman can't hook them. Well, all of a sudden they're getting hooked and impeded (with no call), it changes everything for them. Can a player be expected to change the style of play he's had throughout the season in one weekend? It obviously gives an advantage to the teams that depend on stick work to embellish their abilities.

The best way to take care of this is to have ALL districts follow USA hockey rules and not have their own local interpretations of the rules.

That way ALL teams will have the same advantage and games would be decided by the skill of playing the game rather than the skill of getting away with penalties.
Excellent point, MNHockeyStats
Sauce2122

Post by Sauce2122 »

ya i dont think any team lost because of reffing or anything. but the reffing was kinda poor i thought..
Last edited by Sauce2122 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

Sauce2122 wrote:ya i dont think any team lost because of reffing or anything. but the reffing was kinda poor i thought. I know i shouldnt complain about this, but after the tournament was done, i found out that the ref of lakevilles first game and the championship game, was a parent of a tartan jgb player, and if you know anything about tartan and lakeville, he shouldnt have been allowed to ref those games, and it seemed he was out to get our #7
Agreed - he should have excused himself from the tournament. Especially if there was bad blood between those two teams in the regular season.

But I still believe that the style of officiating made it more difficult for teams that play a "no stick work" style of play. It really had a big impact on them. Their frustration was very apparent and it had a negative affect on their game. In other words - they couldn't play "their game."
21troll

Post by 21troll »

the ref of lakevilles first game and the championship game, was a parent of a tartan jgb player
The refs where from District 3 not District 2 in the championship game. District 2 refs had the 3rd place game. District 8 refs had the consolation game.
LakevilleHcky08

Post by LakevilleHcky08 »

woodburry09 wrote:
UNDlars wrote:Assuming that Edina and Lakeville both win their first round games, I think their semi-final will be a good one. It's hard to beat a team 3 teams in one season, especially a team like Edina.
thats funny because lakeville and edina were the only higher seeded teams to get passed the first round. Maybe you guys were looking past the first round lars? you guys really crapped the bed on that one.

Woodburry is easily going to take state and is going to walk all over the other teams. We are a machine!!!!
Good call moron!