4 Day School Week...Good or Bad?

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Can't Never Tried

4 Day School Week...Good or Bad?

Post by Can't Never Tried »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080818/ap_ ... hard_times

Was reading this and it says a rural MN town is going to this plan?
One thing that caught me as a surprise is that they will have Monday as the off day?
In many places where they are going to the 4 day work week Friday is the off day, it would seem to make sense that it should parallel..IMO of course.

Would it be that extracurriculars are on Fridays a lot more then Mondays.

Lastly what does this do from a funding stand point aren't students, or rather districts required a min. # of school days to receive funding?

What do you genius's think?
8)
DMom

Re: 4 Day School Week...Good or Bad?

Post by DMom »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
What do you genius's think? 8)
considering you put it like that :lol ... town?
NumberCruncher

Post by NumberCruncher »

Most of the parents in this town are farmers and construction workers so maybe SOME parents can open up a market for a Monday day care possibility. But in a small town like that they might as well pay the caretaker to teach the kids what they would have been learning on a normal Monday school day anyway, what with a lot of the same kids going to perhaps the same Daycare.
That is all,
NumberCruncher
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

As a student, I'm sure I'd be a huge fan of this, but as a parent of a 2nd grader, this would obviously be a logistical nightmare. I would imagine that in a farming community, this is probably a more viable option than it would be for a more urban school.

From a funding standpoint, I would have to imagine it was checked out since this is a cost cutting measure, and to cast aside federal/state money at the expense of saving $65k would be throwing the baby out with the bath water (yes... I will occasionally use the phrases of an 85 year old). Is it contingent upon actual school days, or is it school hours?

By the way, I've never done any heavy research on it, but it's always struck me as odd that schools are closing all over the state (or in this case, going to a 4 day week), and the reason given always seems to be for heating, a/c, building maintenance, etc. In the example of MACCRAY, they're claiming a $65k savings (presumably per year, but the article doesn't say so), but I know Minneapolis and Maple grove have both closed schools to cut costs as well... Where is that money going specifically? Is it going towards activity bussing? Computers? Teachers? How is all that additional money being allocated?
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Q.Is there a national standard for the number of school days per year?

A.
If you're asking about the United States, the answer is no. The U.S. government doesn't require a certain number of school days per year. Each state determines school-year length on its own.
According to the U.S. Department of Education, American schools average 180 days of instruction per year. That figure includes public and private schools at both the elementary and secondary levels.

A July 2004 report (MS Word document) from the Education Commission of the States lists each state's school-year requirements. Thirty states have 180-day school years, two have school years longer than 180 days, and 11 have school years shorter than 180 days. Minnesota is the only state that doesn't require a set number of days or instructional hours for schools. Each district can dictate its own school year.

courtesy of ask yahoo

Just for the Govs :wink:

By the way Govs aren't you Government folks going to 4 day weeks? :wink:

If businesses went to 4 day weeks, plus they had a 4 day school week, and Fridays were the off day, I could see it beneficial to families as far as being able to spend more quality time with their kids.

Of course mine are almost gone so it'd just be awesome to have 3 day weekends just for me !! :D
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

By the way Govs aren't you Government folks going to 4 day weeks? :wink:
I know that they put in at least a 3 day work week over 5 days :P :P
Can't Never Tried wrote: If businesses went to 4 day weeks, plus they had a 4 day school week, and Fridays were the off day, I could see it beneficial to families as far as being able to spend more quality time with their kids.
Right! Yep I'm buying that one...can I put a down payment on the bridge you have in Brooklyn too? There could be a MM daycare skate time on Friday thrown into the business model - maybe a father / son skate time with Bernie's boys putting the fathers through the motion to show what they missed as kids. :wink:

I know as a HS student I would loved the 4 day week so I could have done more to help the elderly, the sick, the handicap, and the church
on my day off :wink: :lol: Actually I like Dmom's recreational idea, I would have never thought of that O:)
fighting all who rob or plunder
DMom

Post by DMom »

The kids would have it made, they'd have Mondays off and still be getting out of school on Fridays for hockey tournaments, basketball tournaments, soccer tournaments, etc.

I am sure some enterprising stay-at-home parents could open a one day a week day care and make enough money in one day to cover their week. I am equally sure that the school would be making a pretty good profit on their school age program.

The teachers would have to flexible with their homework, how fair would it be to have kids sit in class those extra long days and still expect them to go home and do two hours of homework, throw in a football/hockey/soccer/debate/band/whatever activity and I can see kids getting very, very far behind pretty quickly.

On the plus side the kids wouldn't have to be out of school for ortho appointments and other things, and I am sure that Mondays are not as well attended as the other days of the week, course that might just move to Tuesday now. And when the kids miss a day of school, they'll be missing even more.

I, of course, was earning my halo in high school--(how the men in my life have suffered), and if I could convince my sons to be the same way, I wouldn't worry about the extra day off. However, things are different today and if my son ever moves past the texting stage with a girl I am going to worry A LOT.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

DMom wrote: However, things are different today and if my son ever moves past the texting stage with a girl I am going to worry A LOT.
just make sure you have unlimited texting so one day when the bill comes your son hasn't run up a $900 charge to some girl named Breeze who lives in Houston TX. :roll: :roll:

boy did I learn the hard way. Boy did he learn hardest way. :twisted:
fighting all who rob or plunder
10ouncepuck

Post by 10ouncepuck »

If the 4-day week becomes more universal how will this affect hockey association scheduling? In many associations schedules are already tight with team practices right after school. Nobody likes before school or late night practices during the week.

http://www.sreb.org/scripts/Focus/Repor ... lendar.asp