Lack of MN goaltending over the years

Nostalgic Nerd

Lack of MN goaltending over the years

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Anyone else feel the same? I was so pleased though to see the coach's kid from Apple Valley be a standout though. I think he owns the stat for giving up less goals in a season than the '93 Jefferson squad. And the Lakeville goalie who made an appearance in the tournament a couple years ago did everything possible to keep his team in the game. Also, the female goalie of Cloquet, of course. Don't get me wrong. I know there are others. It's just that the goaltending as a whole seems to be not all that impressive.<br><br>On a side note, the AV goalie went to Maine which produced a different senior goalie who shut out the national champion gophers a couple two or three years ago. It should be interesting to see where his career looms. <p>"Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today." --James Dean</p><i></i>
boblee

Re: Lack of MN goaltending over the years

Post by boblee »

Watch ND hockey...it's the exact same way. You have 5-10 STANDOUTS yearly. You have about 100 teams with average goalies, give or take. Then you have the rest of the teams who can't fins any goaltending...plus, goaltending depth is the problem, not the lack of. <p><br><br>_________________<br><br>BOB</p><i></i>
mnhshockey

lack of goaltending

Post by mnhshockey »

I dont know what you guys are talking about but there have been plenty of goaltenders. Frazee, Stalock, Kangas.....these are the cream of the crop.......2 have been drafted and one still has a shot. Not many people can say that they have had up to three goalies in a single class be drafted nor play d1 hockey at bigtime universities........i think that the goalies end up on average teams arent on the star power and go unnoticed on teams and they have the good save % and sometimes not even a good goals against....but these guys held there own with their teams......just my opinion <p></p><i></i>
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Is there any talent level difference between stand up goalies vs. butterfly? I think the Duluth East goalie at the tourney last year reminded me of how a career can move forward basically on size as opposed to raw talent. I wonder if butterfly is worse because the goalie just relies upon going to their knees? I kind of miss some of the Jerome Butler's. He use to be on his skates even in mid-range slapshots. <p>"Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today." --James Dean</p><i></i>
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> I dont know what you guys are talking about but there have been plenty of goaltenders. Frazee, Stalock, Kangas.....these are the cream of the crop.......2 have been drafted and one still has a shot. Not many people can say that they have had up to three goalies in a single class be drafted nor play d1 hockey at bigtime universities........i think that the goalies end up on average teams arent on the star power and go unnoticed on teams and they have the good save % and sometimes not even a good goals against....but these guys held there own with their teams......just my opinion<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I don't know who Frazee or Stalock are, but my hunch is your referring to recent times. Over the last 15 years I kind of have been let down at the tourney. Sure, there have been good talents who have had brilliant tourneys, but there have been few touted talents that lived up to the hype through the entirety of their careers. That's why I'm so appreciative of the ones who have recently. <p>"Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today." --James Dean</p><i></i>
mnhshockey

Post by mnhshockey »

are you saying careers as in highschool or after high school? <p></p><i></i>
power92

Post by power92 »

How about Dean Weasler(sp), Scott Meyer, Justin Eddy. All play(ed) D1 and Dean and Scott play for money. Not sure where right now however. <p></p><i></i>
falcons30

Post by falcons30 »

I kinda find that hard to believe unless your talking pro. Let's just throw a couple former Gophers name in the hat who seemed to have had successful collegiate carrers. <br><br>Steve DeBus - Rochester Mayo<br>Jeff Stolp - Greenway<br><br>As of recent there's Joe Fallon of Bemidji who's doing very well with #3 ranked Vermont. Mike Zacharias is at MSU. Breck star <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://yalebulldogs.collegesports.com/s ... -body.html" target="top">Alec Richards</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> recently earned ECAC Goalie of the week honors. <p></p><i></i>
starsalum

Post by starsalum »

Frazee is playing at the U of M right now and splitting time with briggs, give him time and he will be a great goalie. Stalock, dont know much about him but I do remember seeing him play against breck in the state tourney and he was all over the place, very entertaining. <p></p><i></i>
eaglehockey15

Post by eaglehockey15 »

Stalock has committed to UMD and I am pretty sure he is playing in the USHL, Cedar Rapids maybe? <p></p><i></i>
Ahockeyfan

a few breck goalies

Post by Ahockeyfan »

Just to give ONE schools record (there are obviously many sucess stories from Minnesota at the goalie position). Breck has produced 3 DIV 1A goalies in the last 8 years. Here are the statistics:<br><br>Oliver Jonas, Harvard '97-'01 <br>(stats compiled @ gocrimson.com)<br><br>Harvard Records:<br>GAMES STARTED, SEASON <br>32 Oliver Jonas '01; 2000-01 <br><br>MINUTES PLAYED, SEASON <br>1,904 Oliver Jonas '01; 2000-01 <br><br>SAVES, SEASON <br>1,021 Oliver Jonas '01; 2000-01 <br><br>SAVE PERCENTAGE, SEASON <br>(min. 15 GP and .900%) <br>.926 Godfrey Wood '63; 18 GP, 1961-62 <br>.925 Dov Grumet Morris '05; 29 GP, 2002-03 <br>.915 Dov Grumet-Morris '05; 33 GP, 2003-04 <br> Tripp Tracy '96; 17 GP, 1992-93 <br> Dickie McEvoy '87; 24 GP, 1986-87 <br> Oliver Jonas '01; 32 GP, 2000-01 <br><br>SAVE PERCENTAGE, CAREER <br>(min. 40 GP and .885%) <br>.918 Godfrey Wood '63; 45 GP, 1960-63 <br>.914 Dov Grumet Morris '05; 83 GP, 2001-03 <br>.905 Grant Blair '86; 111 GP, 1982-86 <br>.901 Oliver Jonas '01; 60 GP, 1997-2001 <br><br>Last I heard he was playing pro hockey in his home country, Germany.<br><br><br>John Curry, Boston University '02-pres. <br>(stats compiled @ bu.edu)<br><br>2004-2005 HIGHLIGHTS<br>Appeared in 33 games and posted an 18-11-3 record along with a 1.97 goals-against average and a .923 save percentage…Missed four games (Jan. 29-Feb. 11) with a shoulder injury…Held teams to two or less goals 24-of-33 games in which he played…Ranked ninth nationally in GAA (1.97) and tied for 10th in save percentage (.923)...Fourth in Hockey East in GAA (1.97), third in save percentage (.923) and second in shutouts (3)...Earned his first collegiate win vs. Vermont on Oct. 16 with 24 saves in 4-1 victory…Posted first collegiate shutout in 3-0 win over UMass on Feb. 18…Beat Northeastern, 3-2, in overtime with 33 saves in Beanpot final…During one stretch, he started 12 straight games and had a 1.85 GAA and a .932 save percentage. His record was 7-4-1 with losses to then top-ranked Minnesota and second-ranked Boston College…Started team’s last seven regular-season games and had a 4-1-2 record along with a 1.76 GAA and a .936 save percentage…Posted a 2-2 record in the Hockey East Tournament with a 1.77 GAA and a .920 save percentage…Posted back-to-back 2-0 shutouts vs. Providence and set a league record with 168:01 of shutout minutes...Made 23 saves in the NCAA regional vs. North Dakota on March 25...Named a Hockey East All-Star.<br><br>So far this year he was named Hockey East Player of the Week on November 7th, and Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week December 5th. <br><br>There are obviously many news archives on Curry availible on the site.<br><br><br>Alec Richards, Yale '05<br>(stats compiled @ yalebulldogs.collegesports.com)<br><br>As a freshman, Richards earned ECAC Hockey League Goalie of the Week honors on December 5th and had played in 9 games.<br><br><br>This is just a few of the accomplishments of goalies who usually go undetected if they are not in the WCHA.<br> <p></p><i></i>
sftravis

Re: a few breck goalies

Post by sftravis »

There are 3 MN goalies in the top five of stats in the USHL this year.<br><br>Kangas (Sioux Falls)<br>Davenport (Des Moines)<br>Stalock (Cedar Rapids)<br><br>Here is a link to USHL goalie stats.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/goa ... <!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
puckhead89

Re: a few breck goalies

Post by puckhead89 »

Jordan Parise, currently playing for UND Fighting Sioux is ranked #2 in the WCHA, only behind the WI goalie (whose team is ranked #1 in the nation right now)..Jordan, as most of you know, is a Faribault, Minnesota boy.<br><br>I think there are terrific goaltenders in Minnesota currently playing in high school and who have gone on to play Jrs. or are in Division 1. To the guy who started this post, if you start following the netminders a little more closely, you may well want to retract your initial statement. And I totally agree with the other poster who commented that sometimes the star goaltenders are with the weaker teams who don't get talked about....I believe I have said that a few times in various posts. <br><br>As to the butterfly vs. standup, the best goaltenders meld the two together. Butterfly, with proper execution, does exactly what it is supposed to do...statistically 90% of the shots made in a game are to the lower half of the net. <p></p><i></i>
The legend 7

goalies

Post by The legend 7 »

You have to remember there may be about 20-30 (just throwing that number in the air, its actually probebly more) skaters every year that go play D1 hockey from Minnesota. But D1 schools will go out and recruit about 5-6 skaters every year. Then there is maybe 1-2 goalies from minnesota that will play D1 hockey. Yes thats a low number, but its actually pretty good because you have to consider that a D1 team only has mainly 2 goalies and will recruit a goalie once every 2 years. There are some really good goalies this year in Minnesota. <p></p><i></i>
pucks4567

Re: lack of goaltending

Post by pucks4567 »

yea you cant really say mn is lacking goalies... lots of young goalies with a lot of skill.<br><br>blakes got a soph goalie who is damn good.. right falcons.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>