Ice Hawks Magic Number Down to 2!!!

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

[quote="TuckerMax93"][quote="slapshot445"]all of you need to shut up and stop trying to pretend that the rochester ice hawks are some insignificant team. joey benik, who is the all time leading scorer in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF MINNESOTA HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY is currently playing in the mnjhl. he got more goals than zach buddish, kyle okposo, or anyone who has ever played high school hockey here. thats something i dont care what school you play for. also bennie walker played for the edina lakers earlier this season and was strictly fourth line, he is now on the first line for the edina hornets varsity team that just beat number one ranked tonka. im sure there are many other examples that show how good this league is but i cant think of anything. SOTOP TRYING TO PASS THIS LEAGUE OFF AS INSIGNIFICANT, IT'S D@#N FINE HOCKEY!!!![/quote]

This league is insignificant. Joey Benik has scored a lot of goals against a cupcake schedule...he also chose to play for a local junior team during his high school years...Okposo never played at Shattuck. Budish played a hard schedule and missed his senior year with a knee injury.

Learn the game please.

If the league is significant Joey Benik will play in it next year. Otherwise he will play in a better, more significant league.[/quote]

I'm not talking about just buddish and okposo i'm talking about every single person who has ever played a game of minnesota high school hockey. those were just two examples, there are hundreds of people who have played here and gone on to the nhl, many of whom were all stars and hall of famers. dont you think it might be something to beat them all in terms of goals scored? i think so. and the mjhl is focused on moving kids up, that has always been their goal. they didnt make that league so it would be the end of kids' hockey careers, they made it to advance kids to a higher level.

so actually you are completely wrong if joey benik moves up to a higher level next year then the league is significant, not the other way around.

learn the game please. :wink:
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

slapshot445 wrote:
I'm not talking about just buddish and okposo i'm talking about every single person who has ever played a game of minnesota high school hockey. those were just two examples, there are hundreds of people who have played here and gone on to the nhl, many of whom were all stars and hall of famers. dont you think it might be something to beat them all in terms of goals scored? i think so. and the mjhl is focused on moving kids up, that has always been their goal. they didnt make that league so it would be the end of kids' hockey careers, they made it to advance kids to a higher level.

so actually you are completely wrong if joey benik moves up to a higher level next year then the league is significant, not the other way around.

learn the game please. :wink:
So, why don't the top players every year go and play for MJHL teams? Joey Benik played in this league for some reason but it definitely wasn't because he wasn't good enough to play in a higher league. Maybe he wanted to stay close to home, maybe he wanted to play with his brother, I don't know. The only merit I'll give this league is it develops high school aged players. That said, the best team in this league (Rochester) has a strong history of aging out 21 year olds in order to create a dynasty.

I suppose you're right. This league helps develop some young talent and move them on to higher levels. But your Joey Benik comparison is miserable. If Joey Benik plays in the MJHL next year he will never play Division 1 hockey...

Also funny...if Kyle Okposo or Zach Budish played Joey Benik's schedule they would have beaten the goals record even worse. Not because Benik is bad, just because they are better players.

And last, the role the MJHL has played in Joey Benik's career is insignificant. Why? All of the Division 1 interest he is getting is a result of what he has accomplished in high school. Same with all of those former high school players who have gone to the NHL. High school hockey has more significance than the MJHL in my opinion (if we are talking about producing NHLers, which it seems you are hell bent on).
We're here. We're there. We're everywhere.
slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

[quote="TuckerMax93"][quote="slapshot445"]

my original point was made to show that the league is a good hockey league and that the level of play is significant.

learn the game please. :wink:[/quote]

So, why don't the top players every year go and play for MJHL teams? Joey Benik played in this league for some reason but it definitely wasn't because he wasn't good enough to play in a higher league. Maybe he wanted to stay close to home, maybe he wanted to play with his brother, I don't know. The only merit I'll give this league is it develops high school aged players. That said, the best team in this league (Rochester) has a strong history of aging out 21 year olds in order to create a dynasty.

I suppose you're right. This league helps develop [i]some[/i] young talent and move them on to higher levels. But your Joey Benik comparison is miserable. If Joey Benik plays in the MJHL next year he will never play Division 1 hockey...

Also funny...if Kyle Okposo or Zach Budish played Joey Benik's schedule they would have beaten the goals record even worse. Not because Benik is bad, just because they are better players.

And last, the role the MJHL has played in Joey Benik's career is insignificant. Why? All of the Division 1 interest he is getting is a result of what he has accomplished in high school. Same with all of those former high school players who have gone to the NHL. High school hockey has more significance than the MJHL in my opinion (if we are talking about producing NHLers, which it seems you are hell bent on).[/quote]

my original point was made to show that the league is a good hockey league and that the level of play is significant. I'm not saying that buddish or okposo are worse than benik because they didn't have as many goals as him, I'm saying that joey benik is a pretty darn good hockey player, at no point did i say he was the best player ever in minnesota high school hockey. I am simply saying that if a kid like that plays in this league then I dont know how you can classify it as a meaningless league that's all.
crash

Post by crash »

Anyone who thinks the Ice Hawks program is lower than high school hockey, when it comes to talent and speed has never played the game a level high enough to know any better.

This is not really worth the debate, EVERYONE who knows hockey will tell you this.

The Ice Hawks move more players onto college hockey than any High School team in the state and thats a problem why? Advancement in hockey would be putting players higher in the sport. Do you honestly think just because the lable, NAHL is next to his name he'll be a better player? :roll: I can show you at least on right here in Roch who is a better player because he was here not because what he did last year in the NAHL. The program means alot when it comes to Jr.s and love them or hate them the Hawks are VERY GOOD at doing that hockey thing.

I guess I've seen the best high school players in the state and they were head and shoulders above the next tier of player in high school and the MJHL.

The next tier of High School players are middle of the pack players in the MJHL and above averge in High School. Sure the MJHL won't have a Budish's or OX's but those players don't belong in the MSHL either.

And yes Kyle did play at Shattuck St. Mary's, just before he was drafted in the USHL.

The thought that the Ice Hawks hold players back to win is a bit misleading. If that's the case almost all GOOD High School players are held back. How many Players from last years Century High School team are playing college hockey?

How about Edina, OK more than Century and at a higher level than the Ice Hawks(not AS MANY tho).

Now tell me this, wouldn't they have made those teams/schools if they had skipped their SR year and went to the USHL or NAHL? If you don't have a D-I offer out of HS play Jr hockey if you love hockey, maybe something will come out of it.

I can tell you NOTHING will come out of sitting behind a computer and talking about how good you were and how crappy the guys playing the game are...I've never seen that get a scholly :lol:
slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

[quote="crash"]Anyone who thinks the Ice Hawks program is lower than high school hockey, when it comes to talent and speed has never played the game a level high enough to know any better.

This is not really worth the debate, EVERYONE who knows hockey will tell you this.

The Ice Hawks move more players onto college hockey than any High School team in the state and thats a problem why? Advancement in hockey would be putting players higher in the sport. Do you honestly think just because the lable, NAHL is next to his name he'll be a better player? :roll: I can show you at least on right here in Roch who is a better player because he was here not because what he did last year in the NAHL. The program means alot when it comes to Jr.s and love them or hate them the Hawks are VERY GOOD at doing that hockey thing.

I guess I've seen the best high school players in the state and they were head and shoulders above the next tier of player in high school and the MJHL.

The next tier of High School players are middle of the pack players in the MJHL and above averge in High School. Sure the MJHL won't have a Budish's or OX's but those players don't belong in the MSHL either.

And yes Kyle did play at Shattuck St. Mary's, just before he was drafted in the USHL.

The thought that the Ice Hawks hold players back to win is a bit misleading. If that's the case almost all GOOD High School players are held back. How many Players from last years Century High School team are playing college hockey?

How about Edina, OK more than Century and at a higher level than the Ice Hawks(not AS MANY tho).

Now tell me this, wouldn't they have made those teams/schools if they had skipped their SR year and went to the USHL or NAHL? If you don't have a D-I offer out of HS play Jr hockey if you love hockey, maybe something will come out of it.

I can tell you NOTHING will come out of sitting behind a computer and talking about how good you were and how crappy the guys playing the game are...I've never seen that get a scholly :lol:[/quote]

very well put
warrior hockey98

Post by warrior hockey98 »

Kyle Okposo
2004-2005 Shattuck-St. Mary's 65GP 47G 45A 92PTS. 72PIM