Who Won Mr. Hockey?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BigWorm

Who Won Mr. Hockey?

Post by BigWorm »

My guess is Bjugstad or Gardiner, who won?
deucereppin

Post by deucereppin »

Nick Bjugstad is the 2010 Mr. Hockey award winner.
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

deucereppin wrote:Nick Bjugstad is the 2010 Mr. Hockey award winner.
Congrats, Nick well deserved, good luck at the U.
wbmd

Re: Who Won Mr. Hockey?

Post by wbmd »

BigWorm wrote:My guess is Bjugstad or Gardiner, who won?

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23352
spectator

Post by spectator »

everybody knows it"s who ever commits to the mn golden chokers the Mr hockey award has turned into a standing joke, it's not a class a or class aa issue anymore it's if you commit to the U of M or maybe all juniors should excel and skip there senior year and head to the U of M, it's a JOKE nothing but a JOKE :oops: :oops: :oops:
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

The judges pick the winner before the state tournament games are played. So although Bjugstad didn't have his best weekend of hockey, he had a great season and that's what it came down to. Congrats Nick on a great season, hope to see you in the NHL someday!
Mr Hockey

Post by Mr Hockey »

I thought it should have been Gardiner as I had a chance to watch him play in person. But Bjugstad is a stud and is also a deserving choice. Nelson is good also but I believe he was the third best choice.
canttouchthis

Post by canttouchthis »

Mr Hockey comes down to the season you had and your future. If you are going to the UofM that is a plus. If your looked at as a 1st round NHL draft pick that is a plus. Just look at the last 5-7 years of winners and the other nominees. In most cases you see other nominees in the pros and winners not doing much now.
greatone

Post by greatone »

I was not impressed with Gardner at all... After watching in person and seeing him skate ONE WAY. Don't get me wrong he is great with the puck, and very hard to knock down, but his line-mates saved his behind by backchecking for him. I was sitting with some guys who don't even know hockey that well and they noticed that when he got the puck taken away from him, he GAVE UP. Not a good quality to have.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

greatone wrote:I was not impressed with Gardner at all... After watching in person and seeing him skate ONE WAY. Don't get me wrong he is great with the puck, and very hard to knock down, but his line-mates saved his behind by backchecking for him. I was sitting with some guys who don't even know hockey that well and they noticed that when he got the puck taken away from him, he GAVE UP. Not a good quality to have.
Funny, I noticed the same thing...
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

The award will always go to the best AA player who goes the Gophers. I don't think it's right, but I've finally accepted that. Just think about it. I believe, not sure though, that the last time anyone won the award without going to the Gophers was back in 2005 when Brian Lee won the award. Lee and Oshie were hands down the best in the state year. It had to go to one of them and they both went to the Sioux. The only reason it went to Lee was because it had to go to one of them for the award to still have any credibility at all. In that case they still chose the AA player. If they had skipped both those players to give it to a future Gopher no one would even respect that award anymore. So yeah, they will always look for a Gopher to give it to unless the best two or three players play elsewhere. And city kids love to go to the Gophers so that's not likely.
gomnhky

Post by gomnhky »

Here is a list of the winners from the past 10 years:

2009 Nick Leddy Eden Prairie (Minnesota)
2008 Aaron Ness Roseau (Minnesota)
2007 Ryan McDonagh Cretin-Derham Hall (Wisconsin)
2006 David Fischer Apple Valley (Minnesota)
2005 Brian Lee Moorhead (North Dakota)
2004 Tom Gorowsky Centennial (Wisconsin)
2003 Nate Dey North St. Paul (St. Cloud)
2002 Gino Guyer Greenway (Minnesota)
2001 Marty Sertich Roseville (Colorado College)
2000 Paul Martin Elk River (Minnesota)

Hard to say that a prerequisite is that a player is going to the U of MN based on looking at this list. I will agree that in all likelihood it is probably going to be a player that comes from a AA program and that probably is based more on the level of competition and how scouts view that. I would guess that had Schroeder stayed at St. Thomas, that he would definitely had won but that is probably going to be more of an exception than a rule - it's just the way it is. It's unfortunate that the professional scouts and college coaches have a vote in this type of thing and would like to see that changed. Irregardless, I believe Bjugstad was a very good choice and wish him well at the U of M and beyond.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Congrats to Nick and all the kids that were up for the award.
The51

Post by The51 »

I felt Holl and Herbert were more deserving of the award but I do feel Bjugstad is a very good player
summer

Post by summer »

Maybe the vote should be after the tournament since they don't announce it till the Sunday after, then the whole state can see how some of the candidates play, or don't play. The stars really didn't shine so bright in this tournament. It was great to see the kids without big heads play their hearts out, even if they weren't Mr. Hockey or D1 candidates!
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

greatone wrote:I was not impressed with Gardner at all... After watching in person and seeing him skate ONE WAY. Don't get me wrong he is great with the puck, and very hard to knock down, but his line-mates saved his behind by backchecking for him. I was sitting with some guys who don't even know hockey that well and they noticed that when he got the puck taken away from him, he GAVE UP. Not a good quality to have.
You make it sound like you missed the first 27 games of the season?
greatone

Post by greatone »

I did miss the first 27 games. I was busy watching small town hockey... That was my first opp. to watch him skate, and like I said I was impressed with what he could do with the puck, but when it is not on his stick, he gives up and doesn't move to get open. Just my opinion I guess...
wbhockey02

Post by wbhockey02 »

spectator wrote:everybody knows it"s who ever commits to the mn golden chokers the Mr hockey award has turned into a standing joke, it's not a class a or class aa issue anymore it's if you commit to the U of M or maybe all juniors should excel and skip there senior year and head to the U of M, it's a JOKE nothing but a JOKE :oops: :oops: :oops:
that's a good way to look at it, I mean you are right, he is the only player to forgo his senior year because he's wanted so badly by a D1 school. Oh and he's only what like 15th on the nhl draft board.

So Who do you think should of won it then? I mean with your great supporting details and accurate comments you should have someone much better :roll: This guy's a joke.
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Actually he's 24th. Nelson is the only other MN HS player on the list and he's ranked two spots above Bjugstad...

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11963