Who's Not Coming Back '10-'11?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dueling21
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Post by dueling21 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:04 pm

Nothing wrong with sticking around and playing high school hockey. It hasn't hurt plenty of guys before (Jack Hillen, Matt Cullen, Alex Goligoski, etc, etc, etc).

The Exiled One
Posts: 1769
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Code: Select all

SO - F - Jake Horton    - Tartan            - Janesville-NAHL
SO - F - Kyle Osterberg - Lakeville South   - NTDP (Minnesota-Duluth)
JR - F - Nate Arentz    - Lakeville North   - Fargo-USHL
JR - F - Austyn Young   - S St. Paul        - Sioux Falls-USHL
SR - F - Drew Anderson  - Rochester Century - Russel Stover AAA
SR - F - Ryan Crosson   - Thief River Falls - Quesnel-BCHL
SR - F - EJ Faust       - Blake             - Aurora-OJHL
SR - F - Evan Hesse     - Monticello        - Alaska-NAHL
SR - F - Tanner Lane    - Detroit Lakes     - Fargo-USHL (Nebraska-Omaha)
SR - F - Kyle Rau       - Eden Prairie      - Sioux Falls-USHL (Minnesota)
JR - D - Brandon Parker - Fairibault        - Russel Stover AAA
JR - D - Matt Pilot     - S St. Paul        - Austin-NAHL
JR - D - Mike Reilly    - Holy Angels       - Shattuck St. Mary's
JR - D - Brady Skjei    - Lakeville North   - NTDP (Minnesota)
SR - D - Charlie Donlin - Holy Family       - Colorado Rampage AAA
SR - D - Connor Faupel  - Rochester Century - Russel Stover AAA
SR - D - Nick Hinz      - North St. Paul    - Fairbanks-NAHL
SR - D - Ben Marshall   - Mahtomedi         - Omaha-USHL (Minnesota)
SR - D - Ethan Prow     - Sauk Rapids       - Des Moines-USHL (St. Cloud State)
SR - D - Andy Welinski  - Duluth East       - Green Bay-USHL (Minnesota-Duluth)
JR - G - Brock Kautz    - Rochester Century - Owatonna-NAHL
JR - G - Collin Olson   - Apple Valley      - NTDP
SR - G - Matt LaPrade   - Holy Family       - Colorado Rampage AAA
SR - G - Adam Wilcox    - S St. Paul        - Green Bay-USHL (Minnesota)
Final update?

gerryodrowski
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Trout Creek Ontario

Post by gerryodrowski » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:29 pm

The Exiled One wrote:

Code: Select all

SO - F - Jake Horton    - Tartan            - Janesville-NAHL
SO - F - Kyle Osterberg - Lakeville South   - NTDP (Minnesota-Duluth)
JR - F - Nate Arentz    - Lakeville North   - Fargo-USHL
JR - F - Austyn Young   - S St. Paul        - Sioux Falls-USHL
SR - F - Drew Anderson  - Rochester Century - Russel Stover AAA
SR - F - Ryan Crosson   - Thief River Falls - Quesnel-BCHL
SR - F - EJ Faust       - Blake             - Aurora-OJHL
SR - F - Evan Hesse     - Monticello        - Alaska-NAHL
SR - F - Tanner Lane    - Detroit Lakes     - Fargo-USHL (Nebraska-Omaha)
SR - F - Kyle Rau       - Eden Prairie      - Sioux Falls-USHL (Minnesota)
JR - D - Brandon Parker - Fairibault        - Russel Stover AAA
JR - D - Matt Pilot     - S St. Paul        - Austin-NAHL
JR - D - Mike Reilly    - Holy Angels       - Shattuck St. Mary's
JR - D - Brady Skjei    - Lakeville North   - NTDP (Minnesota)
SR - D - Charlie Donlin - Holy Family       - Colorado Rampage AAA
SR - D - Connor Faupel  - Rochester Century - Russel Stover AAA
SR - D - Nick Hinz      - North St. Paul    - Fairbanks-NAHL
SR - D - Ben Marshall   - Mahtomedi         - Omaha-USHL (Minnesota)
SR - D - Ethan Prow     - Sauk Rapids       - Des Moines-USHL (St. Cloud State)
SR - D - Andy Welinski  - Duluth East       - Green Bay-USHL (Minnesota-Duluth)
JR - G - Brock Kautz    - Rochester Century - Owatonna-NAHL
JR - G - Collin Olson   - Apple Valley      - NTDP
SR - G - Matt LaPrade   - Holy Family       - Colorado Rampage AAA
SR - G - Adam Wilcox    - S St. Paul        - Green Bay-USHL (Minnesota)
Final update?
Mario Lucia?

High Flyer
Posts: 464
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:13 am

Post by High Flyer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:02 pm

gerryodrowski wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

Code: Select all

SO - F - Jake Horton    - Tartan            - Janesville-NAHL
SO - F - Kyle Osterberg - Lakeville South   - NTDP (Minnesota-Duluth)
JR - F - Nate Arentz    - Lakeville North   - Fargo-USHL
JR - F - Austyn Young   - S St. Paul        - Sioux Falls-USHL
SR - F - Drew Anderson  - Rochester Century - Russel Stover AAA
SR - F - Ryan Crosson   - Thief River Falls - Quesnel-BCHL
SR - F - EJ Faust       - Blake             - Aurora-OJHL
SR - F - Evan Hesse     - Monticello        - Alaska-NAHL
SR - F - Tanner Lane    - Detroit Lakes     - Fargo-USHL (Nebraska-Omaha)
SR - F - Kyle Rau       - Eden Prairie      - Sioux Falls-USHL (Minnesota)
JR - D - Brandon Parker - Fairibault        - Russel Stover AAA
JR - D - Matt Pilot     - S St. Paul        - Austin-NAHL
JR - D - Mike Reilly    - Holy Angels       - Shattuck St. Mary's
JR - D - Brady Skjei    - Lakeville North   - NTDP (Minnesota)
SR - D - Charlie Donlin - Holy Family       - Colorado Rampage AAA
SR - D - Connor Faupel  - Rochester Century - Russel Stover AAA
SR - D - Nick Hinz      - North St. Paul    - Fairbanks-NAHL
SR - D - Ben Marshall   - Mahtomedi         - Omaha-USHL (Minnesota)
SR - D - Ethan Prow     - Sauk Rapids       - Des Moines-USHL (St. Cloud State)
SR - D - Andy Welinski  - Duluth East       - Green Bay-USHL (Minnesota-Duluth)
JR - G - Brock Kautz    - Rochester Century - Owatonna-NAHL
JR - G - Collin Olson   - Apple Valley      - NTDP
SR - G - Matt LaPrade   - Holy Family       - Colorado Rampage AAA
SR - G - Adam Wilcox    - S St. Paul        - Green Bay-USHL (Minnesota)
Final update?
Mario Lucia?
will find out about sit on 11/19, lucia and everson on 11/20

hard to say with the Rau saga..hes staying, hes going, no wait, hes staying...

observer
Posts: 2225
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Post by observer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:21 am

G G A T

SO - F - Kyle Osterberg Lakeville South U17 NTDP (UMD) 14 2 4 6
SO - F - Jake Horton Tartan Janesville-NAHL 28 3 7 10

JR - D - Brady Skjei Lakeville North U17 NTDP (MN) 14 0 2 2
JR - F - Nate Arentz Lakeville North Fargo-USHL 22 0 2 2
JR – F - Austyn Young South St. Paul Sioux Falls-USHL 16 6 6 12
JR - D - Mike Reilly Holy Angels Shattuck Prep 27 9 14 23
JR - D - Matt Pilot South St. Paul Austin-NAHL 17 1 1 2
JR - D - Brandon Parker Fairbault Russell Stover AAA 22 3 9 12

JR - G - Collin Olson Apple Valley U17 NTDP 6 (2-4)
JR - G - Brock Kautz Rochester Century Owatonna-NAHL 11 (4-5)

SR - D - Ben Marshall Mahtomedi Omaha-USHL (MN) 23 3 10 13
SR - D - Ethan Prow Sauk Rapids Des Moines-USHL (SCSU) 20 5 7 12
SR - D - Andy Welinski Duluth East Green Bay-USHL (UMD) 19 3 2 5
SR - F - Tanner Lane Detroit Lakes Fargo-USHL (UNO) 25 1 3 4
SR - F - EJ Faust Blake Aurora-OJHL 32 3 4 7
SR - F - Evan Hesse Monticello Alaska-NAHL 35 2 4 6
SR - D - Nick Hinz North St. Paul Fairbanks-NAHL 23 0 3 3
SR - F - Drew Anderson Rochester Century Russell Stover AAA 22 5 7 12
SR - D - Connor Faupel Rochester Century Russell Stover AAA 22 2 3 5
SR - D - Charlie Donlin Holy Family Colorado Rampage AAA 24 2 4 6

SR - G - Adam Wilcox S St. Paul Green Bay-USHL (MN) 11 (7-3)
SR - G - Matt LaPrade Holy Family Colorado Rampage AAA 13 (4-5-4)

observer
Posts: 2225
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Post by observer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:54 am

G G A T

SO - F - Kyle Osterberg Lakeville South U17 NTDP (UMD) 32 7 8 14
SO - F - Jake Horton Tartan Janesville-NAHL 40 3 11 14

JR - D - Brady Skjei Lakeville North U17 NTDP (MN) 33 4 12 16
JR - F - Nate Arentz Lakeville North Fargo-USHL 36 1 3 4
JR – F - Austyn Young South St. Paul Sioux Falls-USHL 32 7 13 20
JR - D - Mike Reilly Holy Angels Shattuck Prep 44 10 27 37
JR - D - Matt Pilot South St. Paul Austin-NAHL 20 1 1 2
JR - D - Brandon Parker Fairbault Russell Stover AAA 32 4 14 18

JR - G - Collin Olson Apple Valley U17 NTDP 18 (11-5)
JR - G - Brock Kautz Rochester Century Owatonna-NAHL 13 (4-7)

SR - D - Ben Marshall Mahtomedi Omaha-USHL (MN) 35 5 13 18
SR - D - Ethan Prow Sauk Rapids Des Moines-USHL (SCSU) 36 7 10 17
SR - D - Andy Welinski Duluth East Green Bay-USHL (UMD) 31 3 4 7
SR - F - Tanner Lane Detroit Lakes Fargo-USHL (UNO) 39 3 5 8
SR - F - EJ Faust Blake Aurora-OJHL 46 5 9 14
SR - F - Evan Hesse Monticello Alaska-NAHL 47 4 6 10
SR - D - Nick Hinz North St. Paul Fairbanks-NAHL 31 0 3 3
SR - F - Drew Anderson Rochester Century Russell Stover AAA 36 7 10 17
SR - D - Connor Faupel Rochester Century Russell Stover AAA 36 5 5 10
SR - D - Charlie Donlin Holy Family Colorado Rampage AAA 35 3 6 9

SR - G - Adam Wilcox S St. Paul Green Bay-USHL (MN) 17 (12-4)
SR - G - Matt LaPrade Holy Family Colorado Rampage AAA 20 (6-9-4)

I'll just say it. Except for the NTDP and Shattuck all of these players made a mistake. Maybe 1 or 2 other exceptions. 4 points? 8 points? They're not even playing. Someone will come on and say, "you don't know their personal situation." Well, I don't care. Bad decision to leave High School. NAHL and USHL are businesses. Just say no.

This is a big, important, discussion for a lot of kids as they look to next season. Let's hear your thoughts?

CrashDaNET
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Post by CrashDaNET » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:44 am

observer wrote:G G A T

SO - F - Jake Horton Tartan Janesville-NAHL 40 3 11 14

JR - F - Nate Arentz Lakeville North Fargo-USHL 36 1 3 4
JR - D - Mike Reilly Holy Angels Shattuck Prep 44 10 27 37
JR - D - Matt Pilot South St. Paul Austin-NAHL 20 1 1 2
JR - D - Brandon Parker Fairbault Russell Stover AAA 32 4 14 18

JR - G - Brock Kautz Rochester Century Owatonna-NAHL 13 (4-7)

SR - D - Andy Welinski Duluth East Green Bay-USHL (UMD) 31 3 4 7
SR - F - Tanner Lane Detroit Lakes Fargo-USHL (UNO) 39 3 5 8
SR - F - EJ Faust Blake Aurora-OJHL 46 5 9 14
SR - F - Evan Hesse Monticello Alaska-NAHL 47 4 6 10
SR - D - Nick Hinz North St. Paul Fairbanks-NAHL 31 0 3 3
SR - F - Drew Anderson Rochester Century Russell Stover AAA 36 7 10 17
SR - D - Connor Faupel Rochester Century Russell Stover AAA 36 5 5 10
SR - D - Charlie Donlin Holy Family Colorado Rampage AAA 35 3 6 9

SR - G - Matt LaPrade Holy Family Colorado Rampage AAA 20 (6-9-4)



Perhaps...They put the cart ahead of the horse.
:roll:

Neuuman
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Post by Neuuman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:04 am

What is so "magical" about playing junior hockey at age 16 or 17? I'm pretty sure the USHL and NAHL are going to be around for several years. Unless you're Sidney Crosby, why not finish high school, go to the prom, etc.? The league will still be available after graduation. Also, it seems most players aren't beginning their college careers until they're 19 or 20. It's not like the decision to stay in high school means they will stop developing their game or that they'll stop improving. Why not finish high school, play juniors for a year or two and take your chances then on getting a scholarship? For every player that leaving high school works well for, I'll bet there are 50 others that left that, 5 years down the road, wish they'd made a different decision.

IMHO.

The X
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Post by The X » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:53 am

Neuuman wrote:What is so "magical" about playing junior hockey at age 16 or 17? I'm pretty sure the USHL and NAHL are going to be around for several years. Unless you're Sidney Crosby, why not finish high school, go to the prom, etc.? The league will still be available after graduation. Also, it seems most players aren't beginning their college careers until they're 19 or 20. It's not like the decision to stay in high school means they will stop developing their game or that they'll stop improving. Why not finish high school, play juniors for a year or two and take your chances then on getting a scholarship? For every player that leaving high school works well for, I'll bet there are 50 others that left that, 5 years down the road, wish they'd made a different decision.

IMHO.
Agreed.

observer
Posts: 2225
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Post by observer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:00 am

G G A T

SO - F - Kyle Osterberg Lakeville South U17 NTDP (UMD) 46 7 12 19
JR - D - Brady Skjei Lakeville North U17 NTDP (MN) 47 5 13 18
JR - G - Collin Olson Apple Valley U17 NTDP 26 (15-8-1)

JR - D - Mike Reilly Holy Angels Shattuck Prep 48 13 30 43

SR - D - Ben Marshall Mahtomedi Omaha-USHL (MN) 51 10 19 29
JR – F - Austyn Young South St. Paul Sioux Falls-USHL 48 10 19 29
SR - D - Ethan Prow Sauk Rapids Des Moines-USHL (SCSU) 51 7 12 19
SR - D - Andy Welinski Duluth East Green Bay-USHL (UMD) 47 6 7 13
SR - F - Tanner Lane Detroit Lakes Fargo-USHL (UNO) 52 3 8 11
JR - F - Nate Arentz Lakeville North Fargo-USHL 49 4 4 8
SR - G - Adam Wilcox S St. Paul Green Bay-USHL (MN) 22 (14-6)

SO - F - Jake Horton Tartan Janesville-NAHL 54 4 14 18
SR - F - Evan Hesse Monticello Alaska-NAHL 57 6 8 14
SR - D - Nick Hinz North St. Paul Fairbanks-NAHL 42 0 3 3
JR - D - Matt Pilot South St. Paul Austin-NAHL 20 1 1 2
JR - G - Brock Kautz Rochester Century Owatonna-NAHL 14 (4-7-1)

SR - F - EJ Faust Blake Aurora-OJHL 47 5 9 14

JR - D - Brandon Parker Fairbault Russell Stover 18AAA 36 4 17 21
SR - F - Drew Anderson Rochester Century Russell Stover 18AAA 40 7 12 19
SR - D - Connor Faupel Rochester Century Russell Stover 18AAA 40 6 6 12

SR - D - Charlie Donlin Holy Family Colorado Rampage 18AAA 39 3 6 9
SR - G - Matt LaPrade Holy Family Colorado Rampage 18AAA (7-10-4)

CrashDaNET
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Greener Grass???

Post by CrashDaNET » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Wow!!!! Look at the results. Experiment is over!!!!

For any of you new "Crosby's/Gretzky's" that wants to leave early next year.

"Don't let the door hit on the way out". ......
Because that is exactly what happened with the majority on this list.

observer wrote:G G A T

SO - F - Kyle Osterberg Lakeville South U17 NTDP (UMD) 46 7 12 19
JR - D - Brady Skjei Lakeville North U17 NTDP (MN) 47 5 13 18
JR - G - Collin Olson Apple Valley U17 NTDP 26 (15-8-1)

JR - D - Mike Reilly Holy Angels Shattuck Prep 48 13 30 43

SR - D - Ben Marshall Mahtomedi Omaha-USHL (MN) 51 10 19 29
JR – F - Austyn Young South St. Paul Sioux Falls-USHL 48 10 19 29
SR - D - Ethan Prow Sauk Rapids Des Moines-USHL (SCSU) 51 7 12 19
SR - D - Andy Welinski Duluth East Green Bay-USHL (UMD) 47 6 7 13
SR - F - Tanner Lane Detroit Lakes Fargo-USHL (UNO) 52 3 8 11
JR - F - Nate Arentz Lakeville North Fargo-USHL 49 4 4 8
SR - G - Adam Wilcox S St. Paul Green Bay-USHL (MN) 22 (14-6)

SO - F - Jake Horton Tartan Janesville-NAHL 54 4 14 18
SR - F - Evan Hesse Monticello Alaska-NAHL 57 6 8 14
SR - D - Nick Hinz North St. Paul Fairbanks-NAHL 42 0 3 3
JR - D - Matt Pilot South St. Paul Austin-NAHL 20 1 1 2
JR - G - Brock Kautz Rochester Century Owatonna-NAHL 14 (4-7-1)

SR - F - EJ Faust Blake Aurora-OJHL 47 5 9 14

JR - D - Brandon Parker Fairbault Russell Stover 18AAA 36 4 17 21
SR - F - Drew Anderson Rochester Century Russell Stover 18AAA 40 7 12 19
SR - D - Connor Faupel Rochester Century Russell Stover 18AAA 40 6 6 12

SR - D - Charlie Donlin Holy Family Colorado Rampage 18AAA 39 3 6 9
SR - G - Matt LaPrade Holy Family Colorado Rampage 18AAA (7-10-4)

respect
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Re: Greener Grass???

Post by respect » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:05 pm

CrashDaNET wrote:Wow!!!! Look at the results. Experiment is over!!!!

For any of you new "Crosby's/Gretzky's" that wants to leave early next year.

"Don't let the door hit on the way out". ......
Because that is exactly what happened with the majority on this list.
Wait, wait, wait, let me make sure I understand this correctly... these players (the USHL one's in particular) made a mistake leaving early because their point totals this season are not very high? :shock:

That statement could not be further from the truth. I have seen almost every one of the USHL guys listed here play this season, and I can tell you this - even though their point totals don't look great, these players have developed ten-fold and would make high school competition look like a joke.

For the past 7-8 months these kids have become young men, and have been pushed to their absolute limits physically and mentally day in and day out in practice and in games against other D1 caliber hockey players. They have received phenomenal coaching from some of the greatest coaches in the game. They have learned independence living away from home, and what a 60 game season with life on the road is like. It is very stressful for these young men and will pay dividends for them now and in the future.

As for the points, they will come. I am sure all of their situations are a bit different on their individual hockey clubs, but I am also sure that some of these guys are playing on the 4th line and not playing on the special teams. "See, so they should have stayed in high school." Wrong, they are paying their dues now for their 1st or 2nd line spot next year (or in the future), they're playing twice as many games as a high school schedule at a far higher level of play (don't bring up the "Elite League" it is not the same and it is not that elite), and are soaking in loads of knowledge from their coaches and teammates along the way. THEY ARE DEVELOPING, not sticking around to score 50 goals on a goalie that has no chance to challenge them as a player.

I cannot stand it when high school hockey fans criticize kids for leaving when it is for the better of the kids hockey career, and is already a tough enough decision for the player leaving family behind. Quit judging books by their covers and quit judging the hard work and the success of these very talented (and young) hockey players simply by their point totals - it shows that you are lazy and you are ignorant. :roll:

CrashDaNET
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Re: Greener Grass???

Post by CrashDaNET » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:21 pm

1st post...Huh? Right?
It is for the better of the kids hockey career. Livin the dream...Baby :roll:
respect wrote:
CrashDaNET wrote:Wow!!!! Look at the results. Experiment is over!!!!

For any of you new "Crosby's/Gretzky's" that wants to leave early next year.

"Don't let the door hit on the way out". ......
Because that is exactly what happened with the majority on this list.
Wait, wait, wait, let me make sure I understand this correctly... these players (the USHL one's in particular) made a mistake leaving early because their point totals this season are not very high? :shock:

That statement could not be further from the truth. I have seen almost every one of the USHL guys listed here play this season, and I can tell you this - even though their point totals don't look great, these players have developed ten-fold and would make high school competition look like a joke.

For the past 7-8 months these kids have become young men, and have been pushed to their absolute limits physically and mentally day in and day out in practice and in games against other D1 caliber hockey players. They have received phenomenal coaching from some of the greatest coaches in the game. They have learned independence living away from home, and what a 60 game season with life on the road is like. It is very stressful for these young men and will pay dividends for them now and in the future.

As for the points, they will come. I am sure all of their situations are a bit different on their individual hockey clubs, but I am also sure that some of these guys are playing on the 4th line and not playing on the special teams. "See, so they should have stayed in high school." Wrong, they are paying their dues now for their 1st or 2nd line spot next year (or in the future), they're playing twice as many games as a high school schedule at a far higher level of play (don't bring up the "Elite League" it is not the same and it is not that elite), and are soaking in loads of knowledge from their coaches and teammates along the way. THEY ARE DEVELOPING, not sticking around to score 50 goals on a goalie that has no chance to challenge them as a player.

I cannot stand it when high school hockey fans criticize kids for leaving when it is for the better of the kids hockey career, and is already a tough enough decision for the player leaving family behind. Quit judging books by their covers and quit judging the hard work and the success of these very talented (and young) hockey players simply by their point totals - it shows that you are lazy and you are ignorant. :roll:

Go-Wild!
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:14 am

Re: Greener Grass???

Post by Go-Wild! » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:10 pm

respect wrote:
CrashDaNET wrote:Wow!!!! Look at the results. Experiment is over!!!!

For any of you new "Crosby's/Gretzky's" that wants to leave early next year.

"Don't let the door hit on the way out". ......
Because that is exactly what happened with the majority on this list.
Wait, wait, wait, let me make sure I understand this correctly... these players (the USHL one's in particular) made a mistake leaving early because their point totals this season are not very high? :shock:

That statement could not be further from the truth. I have seen almost every one of the USHL guys listed here play this season, and I can tell you this - even though their point totals don't look great, these players have developed ten-fold and would make high school competition look like a joke.

For the past 7-8 months these kids have become young men, and have been pushed to their absolute limits physically and mentally day in and day out in practice and in games against other D1 caliber hockey players. They have received phenomenal coaching from some of the greatest coaches in the game. They have learned independence living away from home, and what a 60 game season with life on the road is like. It is very stressful for these young men and will pay dividends for them now and in the future.

As for the points, they will come. I am sure all of their situations are a bit different on their individual hockey clubs, but I am also sure that some of these guys are playing on the 4th line and not playing on the special teams. "See, so they should have stayed in high school." Wrong, they are paying their dues now for their 1st or 2nd line spot next year (or in the future), they're playing twice as many games as a high school schedule at a far higher level of play (don't bring up the "Elite League" it is not the same and it is not that elite), and are soaking in loads of knowledge from their coaches and teammates along the way. THEY ARE DEVELOPING, not sticking around to score 50 goals on a goalie that has no chance to challenge them as a player.

I cannot stand it when high school hockey fans criticize kids for leaving when it is for the better of the kids hockey career, and is already a tough enough decision for the player leaving family behind. Quit judging books by their covers and quit judging the hard work and the success of these very talented (and young) hockey players simply by their point totals - it shows that you are lazy and you are ignorant. :roll:
Very nice 1st post ... I think you are right on with your comments.

keepyourheadup
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:07 pm

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Attention RESPECT, your assumption that these 4th line kids are just going to move into top two line status is iffy at best, I think Jake Youso or Mike fink might be fair examples. For some the move will be the right choice, for others maybe not. Don't discount the value of having the puck on your stick, many of these young men spent most of their lives being one of, if not the best, kid on the rink. Now a good number of them are questioning their ability on the rink. Some will work past it and others will flame out. There are examples of kids succeeding and failing on both sides of this equation. I've seen a half dozen USHL games this year and trust me, there are kids playing that have made the wrong decision. In the end you just can't paint this situation with a single stroke, each player has a distinctively different set of circumstances.

derricksutton09
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Post by derricksutton09 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:14 am

" just say it. Except for the NTDP and Shattuck all of these players made a mistake. Maybe 1 or 2 other exceptions. 4 points? 8 points? They're not even playing. Someone will come on and say, "you don't know their personal situation." Well, I don't care. Bad decision to leave High School. NAHL and USHL are businesses. Just say no." - observer

observer you will not know if theses players made the wrong choice until a few years down the road.... and whats the point of these players staying in highschool when they would dominate every game and not get pushed in practice. In juniors these players will be competing every day against stronger faster older players and they will have coaches that will push them and get the most out of them. And you act like high school hockey isnt business.. how can you say that when the state tourney made over 1 million dollars this year

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:37 am

So RESPECT...You are saying you would rather have a kid go play on the 3rd or 4th line on a NAHL team than play on the top line of their respective high school team. The thing that cracks me up are the kids that leave high school early and than they wind up playing D3. Its like going to Blake High School and then attending the U of M. Doesnt make much sense to me!

Most of the time when kids leave it is their parents or advisor's telling them to do so. Let these kids enjoy their lives! Do you people realize this is really the only sport kids do this? Sometimes it works, but for the most part it really doesnt. Kids that young are not ready to go to that level yet. Play 4 years of high school, than go to the juniors if necessary.

This is why I have a lot of respect for what Eden Prairie just did. They had numerous kids on that team that could ve or shoul ve left early according to many of your experts. However, they chose to stay and will still have 3-4 division 1 seniors when it is all said and done.

The one thing that parents need to understand. If you are good enough you will get noticed even if you play for Dodge County.

mulefarm
Posts: 1675
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:07 am

Geez, a kid wants to case a dream and play at a higher level and people bash him. Glad you guys have made 100% right decsions in your life.

High Flyer
Posts: 464
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:13 am

Post by High Flyer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:42 am

Tigers33 wrote:So RESPECT...You are saying you would rather have a kid go play on the 3rd or 4th line on a NAHL team than play on the top line of their respective high school team. The thing that cracks me up are the kids that leave high school early and than they wind up playing D3. Its like going to Blake High School and then attending the U of M. Doesnt make much sense to me!

Most of the time when kids leave it is their parents or advisor's telling them to do so. Let these kids enjoy their lives! Do you people realize this is really the only sport kids do this? Sometimes it works, but for the most part it really doesnt. Kids that young are not ready to go to that level yet. Play 4 years of high school, than go to the juniors if necessary.

This is why I have a lot of respect for what Eden Prairie just did. They had numerous kids on that team that could ve or shoul ve left early according to many of your experts. However, they chose to stay and will still have 3-4 division 1 seniors when it is all said and done.

The one thing that parents need to understand. If you are good enough you will get noticed even if you play for Dodge County.
Jrs. is the proving ground that most colleges make their decisions on. If you are performing well at the Jr. level, regardless if you are a junior/senior in high school or a post high school graduate, D1 colleges will take notice. D1 colleges really don’t care what you do at the high school level, but they do look at the Fall Elite League or Spring Advance final 54 and/or Summer National Camps. A Dodge County player might get noticed, but he will have to prove himself in the Elite League, Advance final 54 tryouts or Jr level before a D1 college makes an offer

Also keep in mind, depending on the NAHL team, many teams 1st line guys could be or were 3rd or 4th lines guys in the USHL, but they choose to play in the NAHL where they will playing all the time and show casing their talents. D1 colleges are now regularly dipping into the NAHL talent pool

I look at that list and if the goal is to play D1 hockey, I think that of all the guys who made the dicision to play juniors last year vs. high school made the right decision, with the exception of a couple of players.

I’m not sure if some of the Tier 1 AAA guys got closer to that D1 goal. They probably did benefit from the additional exposure and training, I’m just not sure if they made real significant gains, but time will tell.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 pm

My phiolosophy is if you can make a USHL team then best of luck. If not, then stay in school. I would question all of those kids that went to the NAHL and AAA. They passed up on a lot of opportunities, and their experience probably won't get them any further than it would have if they stayed home. Some of them chose to spend about 10,000 to play AAA.

NAHL has gotten a lot better, sure! However, those kids arent getting much expereince on special teams I bet, plus they arent becoming leaders by doing that. Those are the kids "chasing" their dreams. The kids going to the USHL, and NTDP are legit players that will play college hockey. Some of them may have been directed by their college coach to make a certain choice.

Those NAHL and AAA kids, best of luck to you!

CrashDaNET
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Post by CrashDaNET » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I look at that list and if the goal is to play D1 hockey, I think that of all the guys who made the dicision to play juniors last year vs. high school made the right decision, with the exception of a couple of players.

I’m not sure if some of the Tier 1 AAA guys got closer to that D1 goal. They probably did benefit from the additional exposure and training, I’m just not sure if they made real significant gains, but time will tell.
I would say a FEW of the Sr. kids did the best of the bunch. But I would debate the success of the So. and Jr. kids.

mnhockeybum
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Post by mnhockeybum » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems as if you have to play a year of juniors now
just to play D3 hockey. When looking at the rosters of D3 schools, it appears that 99% of them at least played in the NAHL. Not many kids going directly from HS to actually playing at the D3 level.

So the NAHL must be a viable option for those kids who want to play D3 hockey.

dumbpuck
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Post by dumbpuck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:30 pm

Someone said there are kids that made mistakes by leaving highschool early. There are kids that dont leave highschool and they too may have made a mistake.

We can sit here all day and list college players that left to the NHL to early or should have left earlier.

And us parents sitting on our recliners trying to say what your kid should do it pretty funny.

Whether its leaving bantamns to play highschool or leaving highschool to play juniors you and I dont need to decide for someone else. Its that kid and families call.

old goalie85
Posts: 3697
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Does the USHL have a prom, Homecoming,Things like that. That's what I think the kids really end up missing out on. And I'm sure many of those parents say " little jolnny don't like no prom" He might in five years!!!!!!

mulefarm
Posts: 1675
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:40 am

old goalie85 wrote:Does the USHL have a prom, Homecoming,Things like that. That's what I think the kids really end up missing out on. And I'm sure many of those parents say " little jolnny don't like no prom" He might in five years!!!!!!
If they are going to a high school, then the answer is yes!

Post Reply