HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tired of the propaganda

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Older Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dzonecoverage



Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: tired of the propaganda Reply with quote

I am not sure if I am the only one who is tired of seeing more of "grandpa so proud of the 2 cousins signing at the U"!?!?! No mention of grandpa having endowed a scholarship, or that grandpa endorsing Coach Lucia got the coach an extension and the grandkids a scholarship.


We did get to read on Hockeyhub that the Edina grandson is "hoping a NHL team will have an opinion" on his staying in high school, or playing juniors next season. I am sure the 73 other juniors who scored 23 points or more are also waiting for the NHL to weigh in.

C'mon, at the end of the day do we really care that much about the cousins, it's almost as bad as the press around the 3 brothers from Chaska
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zamman



Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Posts: 1936
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone is really upset the U is back on track....Oh and you can use names.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
northwoods oldtimer



Joined: 21 Dec 2006
Posts: 1646

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamman wrote:
Someone is really upset the U is back on track....Oh and you can use names.


Reilly boys are who dzonecoverage is referring too and he is correct. dzone is not the only hockey rube tired of the spin on the kid from Edina by any stretch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zamman



Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Posts: 1936
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it was the Reilly's and the Nanne's...still so what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNpuckfanatic77



Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Mike Reilly is doing pretty well for himself but hey if you wanna throw them all in the same boat be my guest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thle0701



Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someones upset that their kid hasn't been signed yet Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher Blog



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 1412

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunate that there has to be such jealousy on a holiday like Thanksgiving.
_________________
http://twitter.com/hammyhockey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
markp



Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of the Reilly's, where are they playing? Their names aren't on the Gophers roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zamman



Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Posts: 1936
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They play in Penticon (SP) BC along with Lucia and another Minnesota...
The Reilly's, Lucia are leaders in stats>

http://www.pentictonvees.ca/leagues/team_statistics.cfm?clientID=3172&leagueID=8370
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
markp



Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their in the BCHL, very similar to our NAHL. Although now that the NA has expanded so much, the BC is probably stronger. Good for them, Looks like the younger finally got his growth spurt, from 5-7 to 6-0 in one year, ouch those are some growing pains...I still wonder why the older just didn't play in the USHL, which in my opinion the stronger league. But it's not often you get to play with family... I've spent time in Penticton with the son watching him play hockey, and it's a great town right between two lakes. They will have a great time there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oldtimehockeyguy23



Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 200

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, college teams are serious businesses and they make decisions on players SOLEY on the belief that that player with help them win. It's NOT about who had the most points in HS or juniors, and it is most definitely not because of famous "surnames." The gophers are the gophers of old and will continue to be so if they continue to sign top end talent. Which they are doing by signing Kloos, Reilly's, Brodzinski, Nanne, and Leitteri etc... The notion that a last name is capable of getting you a D-1 scholarship when you don't deserve one is completely ludicrous. Wise up people Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xy



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:
Look, college teams are serious businesses and they make decisions on players SOLEY on the belief that that player with help them win. It's NOT about who had the most points in HS or juniors, and it is most definitely not because of famous "surnames." The gophers are the gophers of old and will continue to be so if they continue to sign top end talent. Which they are doing by signing Kloos, Reilly's, Brodzinski, Nanne, and Leitteri etc... The notion that a last name is capable of getting you a D-1 scholarship when you don't deserve one is completely ludicrous. Wise up people Shocked


I underlined the key word here - scholarship. A moment's reflection reveals that it's almost certainly the case, given that they have only 18 scholarships, and that not all of the kids who have committed were highly recruited prospects with multiple other options, that not all of the players they have committed are getting full rides. And if you don't think the fact that their parents/families have the wherewithal to pay for them to attend the U even if they're getting little or no scholarship help had something to do with some of these commitments, I just don't think you're being realistic.

You are right that if they weren't viewed as being players who could help the Gophers someday this wouldn't happen - coaches like Lucia don't last long if they go around shooting themselves in the foot. And this whole discussion is really unfair to 16-to-20-year-old kids who probably dreamed of playing for the Gophers just as much any other kids whose parents don't have the same financial wherewithal. Those kids are becoming the target of resentment that, if it exists at all, should be aimed elsewhere. But on some level you can understand where it comes from.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
youngblood08



Joined: 15 Nov 2008
Posts: 1007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAHL teams went 12-2 vs BCHL teams in pre-season play.

That includes Wenatchee Wild win over the Penticton Vees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goaliewithfoggedglasses



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Posts: 140

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamman wrote:
They play in Penticon (SP) BC along with Lucia and another Minnesota...
The Reilly's, Lucia are leaders in stats>

http://www.pentictonvees.ca/leagues/team_statistics.cfm?clientID=3172&leagueID=8370


Don't forget Benik and Fogarty. Looks like the Minnesota Mafia is doing quite well up in Penticon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mulefarm



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 1198

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happenend to Garrett Hendrickson, he was on their roster earlier?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zamman



Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Posts: 1936
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:
Zamman wrote:
They play in Penticon (SP) BC along with Lucia and another Minnesota...
The Reilly's, Lucia are leaders in stats>

http://www.pentictonvees.ca/leagues/team_statistics.cfm?clientID=3172&leagueID=8370


Don't forget Benik and Fogarty. Looks like the Minnesota Mafia is doing quite well up in Penticon.


Those are the other two that I forgot. I know that they are all in the top of stats....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MnMade-4-Life



Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 301
Location: MnMade Rink 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: tired of the propaganda Reply with quote

dzonecoverage wrote:
I am not sure if I am the only one who is tired of seeing more of "grandpa so proud of the 2 cousins signing at the U"!?!?! No mention of grandpa having endowed a scholarship, or that grandpa endorsing Coach Lucia got the coach an extension and the grandkids a scholarship.


We did get to read on Hockeyhub that the Edina grandson is "hoping a NHL team will have an opinion" on his staying in high school, or playing juniors next season. I am sure the 73 other juniors who scored 23 points or more are also waiting for the NHL to weigh in.

C'mon, at the end of the day do we really care that much about the cousins, it's almost as bad as the press around the 3 brothers from Chaska


Mmmmmm ... fresh cup of h8terade this morning?!?!?Very Happy
_________________
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wingman



Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the number of Minnesota kids on one team (vee's). Are Canada Juniors allowed as many imports as they want per year or are they held to a minimum each year? If they don't use their quota for one year can they 'carry over' to another year? I had heard it was only 2/year...yet on several teams it appears more are allowed? Anyone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodley



Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed this thread from the beginning. . . and while DZone may be tired of the "propaganda" I'm really tired of people whining about this connection, that endowment, etc.

How 'bout if we stop for a minute, think about what a great thing it is that these Minnesota kids are out there representing hockey from this state, that they have a chance to live their dreams!!

Too often we want to attribute others success to the advantages they have. However, the advantages still don't put on the skates. The advantages don't invest the time in the weight room. The advantages don't sweat and bleed to succeed.

I, for one, say Congratulations to these kids. Enjoy your success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trev2k1



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mulefarm wrote:
What happenend to Garrett Hendrickson, he was on their roster earlier?


not sure what happened to him in penticton, but he now plays for salmon arm silverbacks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Gopher Blog



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 1412

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev2k1 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
What happenend to Garrett Hendrickson, he was on their roster earlier?


not sure what happened to him in penticton, but he now plays for salmon arm silverbacks


Hendrickson was traded a few weeks ago.
_________________
http://twitter.com/hammyhockey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Older Topics) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Forum Rules/Reporting Offensive Posts (Updated 3/16/05)

National HS Hockey Rankings

State by State HS Hockey Profiles

USHighSchoolHockey.com

MidgetAAAHockey.com

Statewide High School Hockey Links (By State)

High School Hockey Team Links (By State)

Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by team) Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by date)

Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (USHSHO) Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (MinnHock)

Nationwide HS Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey National Rankings

NCAA D1 Men's Hockey Rankings

New England Prep School Hockey Rankings

Prep School Hockey Links

Friends of USHSHO and the Forums:

MinnHock

WisconsinPrepHockey.Net

Sponsored Links:

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group