HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7A pre-season prediction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Older Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
east hockey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNHockeyFan wrote:
east hockey wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Spartan hockey team loaded with experience for run at return to state tourney

http://www.superiortelegram.com/event/article/id/60282/

Too bad they aren't in 7A, eh? They'd be a semifinal (or quarterfinal) casualty. Mr. Green

Lee

Yeah I know but I thought fans of the teams in the Lake Superior Conference might be interested!

They might. Smile

Lee
northernhockey13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allstatebenders wrote:
northernhockey13 wrote:
allstatebenders wrote:
northernhockey13 wrote:
I just don't see any possible way that you can put Marshall over Hibbing. Denfeld had 2 nice transfers that came in and Marshall is tying a Two Harbors Agate team who won 5 games last season. Everyone, figure it out.

Denfeld has two new transfers from the duluth east area, so they probably came to denfeld to play for a mediocre team. And a scrimmage is no way to measure a team.

The two transfers are actually both very solid players.

Nevertheless, Denfeld has no chance to win against hibbing/marshall. Not enough offense.

Extremely bold.. Hibbing I can give to you, but i dont know how you can say that about Marsahll
Throwback

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRC jamboree

I-Falls 3
Hibbing 1

Not sure how anyone can count I-Falls out. I-Falls looks to have a solid team this year. Good D and team plays hard.

Hibbing will have to work on D and goaltending is questionable, but they always seem to start slow then pick it up in the end (when it counts most).

Anyone know the score of the Virginia GR game?
rainier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 2-0 Rapids.

But what are scrimmage scores really worth?

Falls could be a spoiler, but I just can't see any way you could put them ahead of the top three in 7A. Last season they were very inconsistent. They would play some close games against good teams, but then get blown out in games they shouldn't have. Hibbing won the first meeting 3-2, but the second meeting was Hibbing 7-0. Falls lost to Virginia 8-1, then beat them 2-1 later in the season. Very bipolar team.

If they find consistency this season, maybe they could be more of a threat. They likely will have to play two games in the section tourney against some combo of Hibbing/Denfeld/Marshall, and while they could pull an upset, I just don't see them winning two.
east hockey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Follow The Puck:

1. Hibbing
2. Denfeld
3. Marshall
4. Greenway
5. Intl Falls
6. Virginia
7. Silver Bay
8. Ely
9. Two Harbors
10. Eveleth

Can check out his comments at http://minnesota-high-school-hockey.blogspot.com/2011/11/2011-2012-minnesota-boys-high-school_24.html

Lee
PuckRanger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

east hockey wrote:
From Follow The Puck:

1. Hibbing
2. Denfeld
3. Marshall
4. Greenway
5. Intl Falls
6. Virginia
7. Silver Bay
8. Ely
9. Two Harbors
10. Eveleth

Can check out his comments at http://minnesota-high-school-hockey.blogspot.com/2011/11/2011-2012-minnesota-boys-high-school_24.html

Lee

Gotta love the Howie Hanson quote at the end of the Denfeld bit. Go figure.

Not sure how he came up with the #4 spot for Greenway. In my opinion, there is zero chance they finish ahead of I Falls and not really likely they get anything higher than a six seed come playoff time. Arnason is all they really have... and they've had him back there for several years now and it hasn't equated to any wins against quality opponents.

rainer wrote:

Falls could be a spoiler, but I just can't see any way you could put them ahead of the top three in 7A. Last season they were very inconsistent. They would play some close games against good teams, but then get blown out in games they shouldn't have. Hibbing won the first meeting 3-2, but the second meeting was Hibbing 7-0. Falls lost to Virginia 8-1, then beat them 2-1 later in the season. Very bipolar team.

People also seem to forget that I Falls played the middle of their season last year with pretty much their JV-team (due to suspensions and disciplinary actions) which diluted their stats and distorted their record. This is why you see lopsided scores followed by close games against the same opponents last year. I Falls will be in the mix for sure this year.
east hockey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PuckRanger wrote:
east hockey wrote:
From Follow The Puck:

1. Hibbing
2. Denfeld
3. Marshall
4. Greenway
5. Intl Falls
6. Virginia
7. Silver Bay
8. Ely
9. Two Harbors
10. Eveleth

Lee

Gotta love the Howie Hanson quote at the end of the Denfeld bit. Go figure.

Not sure how he came up with the #4 spot for Greenway. In my opinion, there is zero chance they finish ahead of I Falls and not really likely they get anything higher than a six seed come playoff time. Arnason is all they really have... and they've had him back there for several years now and it hasn't equated to any wins against quality opponents.

rainer wrote:

People also seem to forget that I Falls played the middle of their season last year with pretty much their JV-team (due to suspensions and disciplinary actions) which diluted their stats and distorted their record. This is why you see lopsided scores followed by close games against the same opponents last year. I Falls will be in the mix for sure this year.

Howie would never talk up Denfeld, would he? Mr. Green

And I don't get the Greenway at #4, either.

Lee
greenway1969

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what this guy is smoking but if Greenway finishes with a four seed I'll have to make a big donation to his website for his superior hockey knowledge.
northwoods oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Howie would never talk up Denfeld, would he?

You talk up East so what is your problem?
east hockey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Quote:
Howie would never talk up Denfeld, would he?

You talk up East so what is your problem?

All I'm doing is offsetting you. Razz

Lee
allstatebenders

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well east is kind of a big deal compared to the lowly denfeld..
karl(east)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between Howie and just about anyone who posts on this forum is that he pretends to be an objective journalist when he's really pushing an agenda. Most people on here make no claim to expertise and are up front about their loyalties. Howie, not so much.

Still, the quote may not be all that wrong--this could definitely be Denfeld's best team in a very long time. They have a 4-year starter in goal, one talented forward, and some depth thanks to a bunch of transfers, especially on defense. But we're talking about a program that hasn't been to State in my lifetime, so the goalposts aren't that high.

I'd be happy to see both Duluth public schools make a run at the state tourney. Since Denfeld is somehow still an A school, the rivalry doesn't really matter all that much. East fans shouldn't exert any energy hating on Denfeld--they have bigger fish to fry.
east hockey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allstatebenders wrote:
Well east is kind of a big deal compared to the lowly denfeld..

I'm trying to keep East out of the 7A thread, for obvious reasons.

Lee
rainier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never really looked at Howie's blog before, but when I did, his preseason NE MN rankings told me all I needed to know:

1. Hermantown
2. Duluth Marshall
3. Duluth East

What!!??! This guy really believes that the #1 AA team in the state is not as good as the #3 and #13 A teams? He also uses the phrase "a very powerful Marshall team". Let's see how many NE MN teams we can name that are better than Marshall: East, Rapids, Hermantown, Hibbing, Denfeld, Cloquet.

Marshall racked up the points last night, so I guess they may be better than I thought (unless Providence is that bad). I guess we'll find out next Tue when they play Hibbing. Or even today, when they play Breck. If Marshall keeps it within three goals I'd call it a moral victory.
ndirishfighting

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sad greenway1969 no confidence in the raiders.
Be glad the program is alive and a rivalry will be rekindled.
What did you or your kids get picked on that you have to put your alma matter down
greenway1969

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not picking on GHS. It is only a reality check. Greenway has a long way to go in order to be competitive again. I hope I have to eat those words, but nothing in their youth teams leads to suggest that they are a soon to be a top program. Greenway has less than half the enrollment that they had in their glory years. The current enrollment suggests graduating classes of approximately 70. In the 60's the graduating classes were 170 and above. I am as big a supporter of GHS as any alumni. I attended games the year that they almost eliminated the program, both home and away. I suggest you read my posts over the last 10 years before you question my loyalty.
dizlutheastt218

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rainier"]I had never really looked at Howie's blog before, but when I did, his preseason NE MN rankings told me all I needed to know:

1. Hermantown
2. Duluth Marshall
3. Duluth East

What!!??! This guy really believes that the #1 AA team in the state is not as good as the #3 and #13 A teams? He also uses the phrase "a very powerful Marshall team". Let's see how many NE MN teams we can name that are better than Marshall: East, Rapids, Hermantown, Hibbing, Denfeld, Cloquet.

HOWIE HOWIE HOWIE
Redlight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hibbing rocks the Range all the way to St. Paul!!!!
hshockeyfan53

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be nice when the likes of STA, Benilde, and Hermantown crap all over Marshall like last year. If Howie honestly thinks that Marshall is better than Duluth East he should maybe try going to a game once in a while.
Bigcat99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can start a blog. Doesn't make them an expert on any topic they discuss. Rolling Eyes
Throwback

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-Falls wins 6-5 in OT

Yes, LF #10 is good. But I-Falls was gooder?

Lucas Debenet scores 3 short-hsndend goals. Let met say that again, 3 short-handed goals. *** a hatrick... of shot-handed goals ***Amazing...

this was LF 4th game and IF 1st.

Also IF 3rd line looked very good...A full three lines from IFalls would be a problem for the rest of the IRC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Older Topics) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: