Elite League Tryouts Next Weekend

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Called my buddy to get the Goalie rundown:

Alphabetical order:
Friday, 13th 6-7pm

Mallon, Chris - Burns
Nelson, Tyler - Champlin
Lingren, Andrew - Eagan
LaCombe, Derrick - EP
Kielly, Jake - EP
Windies, Tucker - Fargo Davies
Salentine, Jake - Fargo South
Bender, Tanner - GF Central

7:15-8:15
Shepard, Hunter - Grand Rapids
Dugas, John - HM
Yatskis, Ty - Jamestown
Amsden, Chris - LeSuer
Ciaccio, Paul - Tonka
Froom, Ryan - SLP
Ahrens, Vaughn - Wayzata
Davidoski, Rory - Totino

I think anyone you played last yr is a automatic - Parker - DE, Quail - BSM, Perry - Andover..maybe Zevnick, STA..? Couple others..? Not sure who all played last yr.
ripping1

Post by ripping1 »

Returners are Dingman, Quale, Thompson, Parker. Perry was Elite D pulled up but only played a few games so not sure how that works. Don't see him on the list so maybe he is a automatic.
F14

Couple observations

Post by F14 »

Is Willie Benjamin an automatic invite?
Sartellcelly

elite

Post by Sartellcelly »

ok, whose getting a spot, who won't?

anyone see much of the action and have a feeling?
F14

Champlain players

Post by F14 »

I saw the first game of the day and I am NOT from Champlin Park but thought two of their players played well.

Tyler Nelson was exceptional in net and I thought Mason Van Tuyl who is going into 11th had nice skills and was a nice puck-carrying defenseman. They were on Team 2.

Team 1 really controlled the whole game in my opinion with their team. Chris Amsden from Leseur/St. Peter played the whole game in net as the only goalie.

I saw Irondale has three players there that was nice to see as they have been down for a while.

Had a nice conversation with Derek Lodermeier from Totino the 6'3" power forward. He is a very good baseball player as well.
Would love to see him in the league.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

I saw the second and third games. I could see the ice was terrible -- puddles all morning. No dogs in this fight, I was just interested in watching some high school hockey. A few kids I specifically wanted to watch, will be interesting to see if they make the cut.

Games were pretty even, and there were not a lot of standout players. Earlier on the board, I was chirping about how many STA players were in tryouts, but I must admit the STA players I saw were especially good. Hart is small but plays with a lot of poise.

Duluth East's two D men on Team 5, Beaulieu and Kerr, were standouts -- aggressive and skilled, high compete level. They had an advantage being paired together. Comparing them to one of the only southern MN players, teammate Bigham from Mankato, was interesting. He too had a lot of poise, but you could see where the relatively weak schedule his team plays might put him at a disadvantage. Anyway, I could see all three of these D making the cut, but the cards are probably stacked in favor of players who play a top-tier AA schedule.

I was also impressed by the compete level of the Holy Family players, Marooney and Riebling. Also impressed by Team 1's Defenseman from SLP, Tema.

I was looking forward to seeing a couple of the BSM players -- Hale especially, but I think he got moved from the posted roster? Was not on team 1. Maybe he got an automatic berth.

It seems to me that players at the tryouts fall into two categories: mid-level players on high quality teams like Tonka, Edina, East; and then standout players on middling programs like Holy Family, Totino, Bemidji.

Crazy that there was only one Rochester player. Southern Minnesota badly under-represented, I wonder if those players get channelled into the southern and/or D leagues? (As I say, I think maybe they are at a significant political AND skill disadvantage since they play weak schedules).

Having watched a lot of Elite games over the years, this was the first time I've gone to tryouts, and I would say that there is a definite step down in the average skill level from those who make the cut and those at tryouts. This surprised me because I always kind of assumed that politics was the main factor. Maybe it isn't as big a factor as I thought.

It made me realize the truth of the idea that if you want to avoid the politics, develop your skills/compete level to the point where you are clearly better than most other players around you.
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

Shinbone you are correct S mn has not
gotten much interest and has not
had any kids on an elite team since '09.
One from roch and schofield from north field
about the only south players I saw on the tryout
roster. I think though there are some from
the south that got an invite this year and so not at
the tryouts.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Rosters are up
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

STA leads the way with 9 players. Next closest is EP with 7.
Wasilla

Post by Wasilla »

SuperStar wrote:Rosters are up
anyone else think there are a few surprizes?
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

Still political, too bad definitely some choices that are questionable. Hope kids that got short stick keep head up and prove these experts wrong.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

How can that many kids be on 5 teams ?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I see 3 players who played Elite League last year, but aren't listed on a roster this year (unless I missed them), and are not on our "leaving early" list. Anyone have any info on:
Max Coatta (Minnetonka)
Jake Bischoff (Grand Rapids)
Lance Carney (WBL)

Otherwise, they seem to have gotten things mostly right. I'm sure there are a few borderline makes or misses that we could argue about, but nothing egregious, I don't think. Some scattered notes:
-It's nice to see some southern players in the Elite League this year, even if they're all from one team.
-Nine from STA seems a bit ridiculous, and curiously, their second-highest returning scorer from last year is not one of the nine.
-Given how well big programs usually do in the Elite League, I'm a little surprised not to see one or two other Edina players. Also, does this mean Hurley is coming back? I suppose it's no guarantee he won't leave, but most players headed for the USHL have probably made their choice by now, one way or the other.
-I know they have a lot of good youth players at private schools, but it seems crazy that a program like Wayzata can't field an Elite League skater.
-2 players from Hill-Murray has to be a low for them.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Coatta is apparently playing for Lincoln prior to the HS season so that's why he won't be in the Elite League. I haven't heard for sure on Bischoff but I wouldn't be shocked if he did the same with Omaha.
puckster15

Post by puckster15 »

I can't recall any team in Elite I history having 9 players from one team. Seems excessive.

I have to assume they all deserved it. Will like to watch Edina vs STA at Schwans cup.
Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 »

Wasilla wrote:
SuperStar wrote:Rosters are up
anyone else think there are a few surprizes?
Wow. The 95's are nowhere near as deep as the '94s were eh??
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

karl(east) wrote:I see 3 players who played Elite League last year, but aren't listed on a roster this year (unless I missed them), and are not on our "leaving early" list. Anyone have any info on:
Max Coatta (Minnetonka)
Lance Carney (WBL)

Otherwise, they seem to have gotten things mostly right. I'm sure there are a few borderline makes or misses that we could argue about, but nothing egregious, I don't think. Some scattered notes:
-It's nice to see some southern players in the Elite League this year, even if they're all from one team.
-Nine from STA seems a bit ridiculous, and curiously, their second-highest returning scorer from last year is not one of the nine.
-Given how well big programs usually do in the Elite League, I'm a little surprised not to see one or two other Edina players. Also, does this mean Hurley is coming back? I suppose it's no guarantee he won't leave, but most players headed for the USHL have probably made their choice by now, one way or the other.
-I know they have a lot of good youth players at private schools, but it seems crazy that a program like Wayzata can't field an Elite League skater.
Not sure if these rumors are true or not, but I heard that Carney is playing in Washington for an NAHL team, and Slattery (listed as Cent) is going to WBL next year.
observer

Post by observer »

9 players from one school just highlights the problems with the League. It's just wrong. 7 from EP is wrong too. As good as those players may be there are more deserving, and better, players from other schools. Give those players an opportunity as it's likely more important to them. The purpose of the League isn't to prop up players from STA and EP. Maybe a 4 player max for any one school would be a good approach. All sophomores, and most juniors, should be playing Elite D which was designed specifically for them.
Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 »

observer wrote:and most juniors, should be playing Elite D which was designed specifically for them.
- absolutely agree!
ripping1

Post by ripping1 »

So your saying they should NOT take the best players because they come from the same school. Now that is wrong. The league is suppose to showcase the most talented players regardless of what school they play the regular season with. It looks to me like overall they did that. Are there some that got overlooked probably but remember there was a tryout and maybe they didn't bring their A game.
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

Jimbo99 wrote:
observer wrote:and most juniors, should be playing Elite D which was designed specifically for them.
- absolutely agree!
Triple that, feel sorry for all the seniors that get pushed asside and have their dream crushed.

Good ole boy network in play. Great Plains team only had one new player for defense that was not a automatic or played last season. So from all of ND and NW and W Central MN only one new D on team, come on give these kids a chance. Oh yeah team was 0-19-2 during last year's regular season. So appears not the best player choices or coaching/manager in place. Oooo, stirring the sacred pot.

STA, EP, Duluth do they all really deserve that many players...

FYI, last year in playoffs North Elite D team only had 9 skaters for all three games. Why more kids not giv'in the opportunity is a mystery.
eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy »

ripping1 wrote:So your saying they should NOT take the best players because they come from the same school. Now that is wrong. The league is suppose to showcase the most talented players regardless of what school they play the regular season with. It looks to me like overall they did that. Are there some that got overlooked probably but remember there was a tryout and maybe they didn't bring their A game.
Totally agree, to discriminate because to many come from one school, now thats ridiculous.
observer

Post by observer »

So your saying they should NOT take the best players because they come from the same school.
Get real. They're not the best players.

The best sophomores and most of the best juniors should be playing Elite D. That's why it was started. The Elite League should be for seniors with a few top juniors.

I'll guess the League has granted spots to players that haven't even played varsity hockey yet. Again, that is what Elite D is for.
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

karl(east) wrote:I see 3 players who played Elite League last year, but aren't listed on a roster this year (unless I missed them), and are not on our "leaving early" list. Anyone have any info on:
Max Coatta (Minnetonka)
Lance Carney (WBL)

Before & after with Omaha
Character is who you are when no one is watching
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

observer wrote:
So your saying they should NOT take the best players because they come from the same school.
Get real. They're not the best players.

The best sophomores and most of the best juniors should be playing Elite D. That's why it was started. The Elite League should be for seniors with a few top juniors.

I'll guess the League has granted spots to players that haven't even played varsity hockey yet. Again, that is what Elite D is for.
Observer, you are correct on this. One of the main stated goals of the Elite League was to keep Minnesota's top players in Minnesota and playing high school hockey. Many seniors get cast aside to develop pet projects.

Instead of keeping the top seniors, it appears to have fueled kids leaving. They get automatics into the league as sophomores and juniors. When those kids get to be seniors....they have "been there, done that" and they leave - or they head off to do before/afters which just waters down the league with weaker players. What started with good & pure intentions by the Elite League has turned into a $$ game that preps underclassman for the NAHL, WHL, BCHL, USHL as seniors. Its OK for this to happen, but the Elite League should state its mission is to move kids to the next level (not MN High School) as fast as possible.

Couple that with individuals involved with the league with ties to certain schools or with hockey businesses assisting with promoting their students to the league and you have a league that has lost the mission its founders set out. No perfect way to do it, but there are a lot of forces at play in pulling together these rosters.

Overall, I think they get the rosters 75% correct. Politics or no politics, cream rises and the choices are obvious.

I still maintain the Minnesota Blades Midget Major (18U) squad is the way to go for seniors in light of the Elite League developing younger players for high school hockey where seniors should be prepping for post high school hockey. Play opponents from around the midwest where the average age on their rosters is 17+ (with many high school grads or high school seniors); rather than play Elite League where the average age is most likely around 16 with the bottom third of the rosters not ready for prime time.