Sending 7 year old to MN Made...

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thefatcat

Sending 7 year old to MN Made...

Post by thefatcat »

...to play in the choice league this winter.

Before I get flamed by the folks who despise Bernie...I'd like to clarify a few things.

a) this decision was his alone (learned about league from cousin who is from Edina). I explained the commitment needed and he says he just wants to skate a lot
b) mother, son and I agreed that any practice that is scheduled to run past 8 pm on a week night will be skipped...school comes first
c) we have no delusions of granduer that my lil' Johnny Superstar will be on a fast track to the NHL by playing Choice League...he will cure cancer instead :)
d) son will still play association hockey when schedule allows, he still wants to play with couple of his school buddies

Our association uses the ADM model and I think my son was pretty bummed that all they did was practice, practice, practice...with a 3 game jamboree at the end of the season. He doesn't mind practicing but he wanted to play some more games.

I won't sit here and defend MN Made as I don't have any previous experience with them other than heresay from others...I will give an honest critique at the end of the season.
thefatcat

Re: Sending 7 year old to MN Made...

Post by thefatcat »

I will say that we are off to an auspicious start even though the season hasn't started yet. As I'm sitting in the bleachers during one of the evaluation skates at MN Made I hear these two ladies behind me chatting. I have to assume that they had kids play last season based on their conversation and all of the kids on the ice whom they knew. There were a few kids who were obviously having a bad day on the ice and these ladies weren't afraid to comment about it (not their own kids). Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw their Edina Hockey sweatshirts.

I turned around, politely told them that the kids on the ice are 7-8 years old, got up and went to sit elsewhere. I know a few Edina hockey parents because my son plays on an Edina 3v3 team at Hat Trick and they're pleasant people...but these ladies are the reason that Edina gets stereotyped. If you don't have anything nice to say...close your pie hole.

I'm also getting grief from people in charge of the association we belong to because my son going to MN Made. I've given all of them an explanation as to why my son is playing there but it doesn't seem to help them see things from our point of view. I'm curious to see how this plays out since I help coach my 7 year old's team (asst cat herder) and I will be helping coach my 4 year olds mini mite team (asst cat herder) this coming season.

Coming from SW Minnesota where life is football/baseball, it's been interesting observing the metro area hockey culture and parental mindset. It's amusing and sad all at the same time.
Sunsetcliffs98

Post by Sunsetcliffs98 »

Lost me at the part where you say your 7 year old made the decision. Decisions like these are made by parents. No reason to apologize for skating Choice IMO.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

thefatcat wrote:I will say that we are off to an auspicious start even though the season hasn't started yet. As I'm sitting in the bleachers during one of the evaluation skates at MN Made I hear these two ladies behind me chatting. I have to assume that they had kids play last season based on their conversation and all of the kids on the ice whom they knew. There were a few kids who were obviously having a bad day on the ice and these ladies weren't afraid to comment about it (not their own kids). Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw their Edina Hockey sweatshirts.

I turned around, politely told them that the kids on the ice are 7-8 years old, got up and went to sit elsewhere. I know a few Edina hockey parents because my son plays on an Edina 3v3 team at Hat Trick and they're pleasant people...but these ladies are the reason that Edina gets stereotyped. If you don't have anything nice to say...close your pie hole.

I'm also getting grief from people in charge of the association we belong to because my son going to MN Made. I've given all of them an explanation as to why my son is playing there but it doesn't seem to help them see things from our point of view. I'm curious to see how this plays out since I help coach my 7 year old's team (asst cat herder) and I will be helping coach my 4 year olds mini mite team (asst cat herder) this coming season.

Coming from SW Minnesota where life is football/baseball, it's been interesting observing the metro area hockey culture and parental mindset. It's amusing and sad all at the same time.
It would be ridiculous for anyone here or at the rink to question a decision that your son made - I hope with the help of his parents. That said, it is equally ridiculous for you to call out the Edina parents for having a private conversation critiquing the kids on the ice. The implication here is that the women in the in the Edina sweatshirts are any different than parents from ______ association. It's sad, pathetic, annoying... but it happens in every rink in the state. In this case the sweatshirts were green and white, next time they'll be blue and white, or orange and black, or crimson and gold....
savagegopher

Post by savagegopher »

Choice is not that demanding, I would even say it’s less demanding since most practices are 1 hour and 20 minutes, you get to go to the rink less, and you don't have very many early practices. I would be careful doing both association and Choice, I understand if you only get limited hours in your association to do both, but I would pick one and let the kid get a majority of his ice time at the outdoor rinks in your area.
Sweet Dreams

Post by Sweet Dreams »

I agree with BlueWhitefan as you will have parents saying things they shouldn't no matter where they are from. Parents and children are very much alike in that we all do and say things we shouldn't. The only difference is kids don't know better and say the truth, but parents on the other hand have different motives. Both of my kids have been in the program at MM and they love it. They have been very fortunate to have great coaches. Very structured practices (pluses and minuses to that) so they get a lot done and there is not much down time. Not always, but most associations practices will have more down time and more screwing around, but the kids like that. If you live close to MM, you can probably do it, but can your son handle it. I know at our association some of the coaches hold it against the kids and treat them differently. (Motives) If you do your association as well you will have parents who will except your decision and you will have parents who will hold it against you for a long time. Same parents are the ones who complain the loudest about losing, but don't want to put in the extra time and effort. Good luck in your decisions and I hope your son loves the time on the rinks, MM, association or out on the pond. BTW, MM will have 38 teams (Mites thru PW) and over 600 kids this year, so there are many choosing to spend their money and time at this venue.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

I don't understand why anyone in your association would give you grief over doing both? You are still giving them a check that clears the bank. Your two kids are still participating in the association. You are even volunteering your time assisting with two teams. They should be happy with your continued commitment to the association and be thankful you are helping to develop the kids in the association. You could have pulled out altogether and that would be one less partcipant (eventually two) in the association.

Anything less screams of petty jeolousy.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Sunsetcliffs98 wrote:Lost me at the part where you say your 7 year old made the decision. Decisions like these are made by parents. No reason to apologize for skating Choice IMO.

The only decision I am making is whether to use my Visa or Am Ex to pay for it. It may be hard for some to fathom or unbelievable to others but my kid can make pretty important decisions on his own.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

Who cares? Big deal. Your kid likes to play games and wants to play choice. Not thread worthy.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
thefatcat wrote:I will say that we are off to an auspicious start even though the season hasn't started yet. As I'm sitting in the bleachers during one of the evaluation skates at MN Made I hear these two ladies behind me chatting. I have to assume that they had kids play last season based on their conversation and all of the kids on the ice whom they knew. There were a few kids who were obviously having a bad day on the ice and these ladies weren't afraid to comment about it (not their own kids). Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw their Edina Hockey sweatshirts.

It would be ridiculous for anyone here or at the rink to question a decision that your son made - I hope with the help of his parents. That said, it is equally ridiculous for you to call out the Edina parents for having a private conversation critiquing the kids on the ice. The implication here is that the women in the in the Edina sweatshirts are any different than parents from ______ association. It's sad, pathetic, annoying... but it happens in every rink in the state. In this case the sweatshirts were green and white, next time they'll be blue and white, or orange and black, or crimson and gold....

In my opinion it isn't really a private conversation when I am sitting directly in front of them. There wasn't much critiquing going on as much as they were flat out making fun of / ripping a couple of kids who probably didn't belong on the ice in relation to the level they were trying out for. I agree that it probably happens everywhere throughout the state...and yes, I was probably being an overzealous politically correct vigilante but where I grew up and the way I was brought up, that type of stuff doesn't fly.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

barry_mcconnell wrote:Who cares? Big deal. Your kid likes to play games and wants to play choice. Not thread worthy.

My bad barry...I'll put that in my mental rolodex for future reference
skipperj

Post by skipperj »

Don't listen to Barry, I for one am interested in how it goes because i might send the kid there next year.
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

Best place to have him play at the age he is hands down.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

thefatcat wrote:
Sunsetcliffs98 wrote:Lost me at the part where you say your 7 year old made the decision. Decisions like these are made by parents. No reason to apologize for skating Choice IMO.

The only decision I am making is whether to use my Visa or Am Ex to pay for it. It may be hard for some to fathom or unbelievable to others but my kid can make pretty important decisions on his own.
You may want to consider sending a check. MM charges you the credit/debit merchant fee.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
The Huge Hook

Post by The Huge Hook »

HockeyDad41 wrote:
thefatcat wrote:

You may want to consider sending a check. MM charges you the credit/debit merchant fee.
It is formally called a "convenience fee". :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses »

I call BS. Edina Moms don't wear sweatshirts.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

The Huge Hook wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:
thefatcat wrote:

It is formally called a "convenience fee". :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nah - just a pass through.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
Sunsetcliffs98

Post by Sunsetcliffs98 »

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:I call BS. Edina Moms don't wear sweatshirts.
That's so funny, I thought the same thing.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:I call BS. Edina Moms don't wear sweatshirts.

They weren't the Edina CC moms you're thinking of...they looked like they could beat some dudes up :D
Tuuk2score

Post by Tuuk2score »

Thirft store goods perhaps or hammy downs ??
irish skater

Post by irish skater »

My son did his last year mite and first year squirts at MM. No regrets. Like association hockey, a lot depends on your coach. First year we had awesome coaches, so we came back. Second year the assistant coaches coaches were great, head coach, maybe not so great. They can only do so many drills so as not to get a "bad" coach. But even with a practice book, it still matters who the coach is. All in all, its was a good experience and met a lot of nice people.

The end.

Sorry about the double post.
Last edited by irish skater on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
irish skater

Post by irish skater »

My son did his last year mite and first year squirts at MM. No regrets. Like association hockey, a lot depends on your coach. First year we had awesome coaches, so we came back. Second year the assistant coaches were great, head coach, maybe not so great. They can only do so many drills so as not to get a "bad" coach. But even with a practice book, it still matters who the coach is. All in all, its was a good experience and met a lot of nice people.

The end.

Oh, yeah, I agree with sunsetcliff.