2013 / 2014 Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

You wanna bring up +/-?? It's the most overrated stat out there. Since you brought it up I guess mark alt is our best player then +19

I would take Schmitt, helgy, Marshall, parenteau, and holl before I chose alt.

Someone explain to me why condon isn't a lock on one of the top two lines. I am confused by that...

I just personally think haula, rau, and bjugstad are some of the best talent we ve had that actually works hard. There is no comparison to the work ethic those 3 give then what Schroeder have this team.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Get the burr out of your butt. When you are expected to score a lot of 5 on 5 goals and you don't, you are going to have a low +-, Didn't say he wasn't working hard or is a bad player. In a game or two +- is overrated, but over the course of a season that player must be doing something right in the case of Alt.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Tiger-I do believe both of them would have been top 6 THIS year as well. Who would they replace? Not sure exactly, but Lucia would have found a way to shuffle around, and get them "top 6 mins".

Condon, I agree is a really solid college player who has incredible speed, and I am not sure why Don is constantly shifting him around...maybe to try and find the right chemistry? Not sure.

I think the team as a whole lacks leadership. To me, that is their biggest issue, and last year Mattson and Hansen were the solutions to this. This season I just don't feel like anyone has fulfilled that role.

IMO, Haula and Rau are the hardest working guys on the ice. I just don't see the consistent effort, night in and night out with Bjugstad to convince me otherwise.
OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 »

Sats81 wrote:Tiger-I do believe both of them would have been top 6 THIS year as well. Who would they replace? Not sure exactly, but Lucia would have found a way to shuffle around, and get them "top 6 mins".

Condon, I agree is a really solid college player who has incredible speed, and I am not sure why Don is constantly shifting him around...maybe to try and find the right chemistry? Not sure.

I think the team as a whole lacks leadership. To me, that is their biggest issue, and last year Mattson and Hansen were the solutions to this. This season I just don't feel like anyone has fulfilled that role.

IMO, Haula and Rau are the hardest working guys on the ice. I just don't see the consistent effort, night in and night out with Bjugstad to convince me otherwise.
Agree entirely on Bjugstad's "wow factor" as far as all star production is concerned.

I would also add Warning to the list of hardest working on the ice. To me, he was the only one who stood out against CC this weekend.

That being said, I'm confident that the Gopher's big players (Bjug, Rau, Halua, Warning, Condon, Budish, Schmidt, Marshall & M. Reilly) will step up in the National Tournament in the next few weeks despite their recent lack of intensity and/or urgency.

It really seems like the Gophers have taken everything up to this point as unimportant, but have had their sights on it all season. If the Gopher's big guys play like they can the Gopher's seem to be a lock to face the Whioux and possible advance to the Frozen Four - really pullin for the rematch against BC in the final.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I must be watching a different Gopher team than the rest of you, or I view hard working hockey players in a different way.

Being gifted, and working hard are two very different characteristics. In my eyes, the guys that are working hard 100% of every shift are: Serratore, Schmidt, Rau, Marshall, Holl, Budish, and Boyd. I think you will see a common denominator with all of these players. They are willing to work for the puck in the corners and on the side boards. Guys like Haula, Condon, Warning, and Reilly are very skilled, fast and have great hands, but I don't see them willing to get in the dirty area's of the rink.

Not Gophers, but Zach Parise and Mikko Koivo are the epitome of hard working players with skill to boot. :!:
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Bodyshots - interesting...personally I think condon and haula work their ass off.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Haula and Condon do put out a great effort every night. Agreed. Sam Warning in my opinion is really the X-factor if you will, for this team to do damage in the NCAA's. I don't think he was 100% last weekend after missing the Bemidji series. We need big performances outta Serratorre and Ambroz too for this train to reach its final destination.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Agreed!!

I just still think condon is a big factor to this team and would love to see him in the top 3 lines...

Anyone else find it interesting that Lucia switched things up.

* no skjei - even though he had been playing well.
* holl - Michaelson - and parenteau had been playing well
* condon moved to 4th line
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I guess I didn't see the Boyd, Condon, and Ambroz as the 4th line. I think it was more for match ups than anything else.

To me, our 1st two lines are interchangeable, as is our 3rd and 4th lines.

Rau - Bjugstad - Isackson
Warning - Haula - Budish

Both have started games in the past.

Condon - Boyd - Ambroz
Parenteau/Sarratore - Michaelson - Holl

As THE DON says. Your stars have to be stars this time of year to be successful. The top two lines need to put up 3+ goals per game the rest of the way.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Tigers33 wrote:Agreed!!

I just still think condon is a big factor to this team and would love to see him in the top 3 lines...

Brady has played much better since after Xmas. Not sure why he wasn't in lineup friday night. The only thing i can think of is he really struggled against CC in the series they had in November.

If anyone needs to step up their game its Boyd! Kid can't score. I know that is not his primary role with the team, but I know as a fact Lucia and Guentzel expected more out of him when he was brought in last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him fighting hard for playing time next year. He just seems to be really ineffective to me.

I just hope this team can pull it together this weekend.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Condon played with holl and Michaelson on the 4th line against CC...were you watching??
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Tigers33 wrote:Condon played with holl and Michaelson on the 4th line against CC...were you watching??
Yes, I was watching. In actuality, that line of Condon, Michaelson, and Holl was the third line used to start the game by the Gophers. Maybe Don was rewarding Michaelson and Holl for their play the previous week?

It will be interesting to see who plays tomorrow, and with whom.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Yes that's fine but that doesn't mean anything...there have been games where Boyd-ambroz-condon/serratore started...does that mean they are the #1 line.
OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 »

Sats81 wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:Agreed!!

Brady has played much better since after Xmas. Not sure why he wasn't in lineup friday night. The only thing i can think of is he really struggled against CC in the series they had in November.

If anyone needs to step up their game its Boyd! Kid can't score. I know that is not his primary role with the team, but I know as a fact Lucia and Guentzel expected more out of him when he was brought in last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him fighting hard for playing time next year. He just seems to be really ineffective to me.

I just hope this team can pull it together this weekend.
I completely understand what you're saying about Boyd; his reputation coming in to UMN was that he could put the puck in the net. But, I think there's a reasonable tradeoff between goals scored and the hard work he puts in along the boards and on the backcheck. He's become pretty shifty along the boards and really plays his position well, I think.

Where in the world has Seth Ambroz been?!?!?!
It seems like he either rips off a two goal weekend or is a healthy scratch for one night, and goes unnoticed the other..
He's got size, and can play physically - a big plus on a line with guys like Boyd & Condo - but he just seems SO SLOW!
Credit is due to Condon and Boyd for their boots, but damn get they guy in a speed and agility program. I thought Cal Dietz would have him at a higher level by now.
OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 »

^^Ultimately I realize that I'm falling victim to the age-old point the finger when you're team isn't playing up to their own level.

The Gopher's NCAA fate is in their hands, and really, I think they above anyone else have the most to lose after whooping up on BC earlier. Their achilles heel has been getting a consistent effort two nights in a row which could really hurt them; as early as this Saturday. Stakes are high now, boys!
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Stakes are high today at 1pm...just hope the gophers aren't looking ahead to nodak like old timer is :)
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Old Time Puck is correct though, and many have talked about this, but this Gopher squad is really been an inconsistent bunch this year...
2012/13 sweeps: Michigan St; Vermont; Alaska Anchorage; Bemidji St

:shock:

Not murderers row by any means...

I do hope that this team realizes what they have in front of them, and play to their potential w/ speed, effort and limit turnovers... This team has the players to make the run, but it has to come from them...

Mind and heart have to be in concert.

I wish them well on this journey.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Out shot 1st period 11-7 but was 0-0 only Yale has scored and now gophers on 3rd straight power play. Hope they pick it up or they are toast and well done.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

yale scores on the pp 4:24 left 2nd period.
OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 »

Down 2-0. :shock: Yale hasn't been bad but boy we sure have been. Lot's of penalties, non-WCHA refs seem to call a more feminine game :lol:
OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 »

Schmidt scores on wrister from the point on the power play. 2-1 now and kinda starting to come alive... kinda... 7.5 to go
OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 »

HELLL YESSSSS BUDISH! 2-2 6.5 to go. heeerrrrrewego
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

overtime
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Gophers done Yale scores 9 seconds into overtime
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

9 seconds in? Ouch. I thought they had things under control after drawing even in the 3rd.

Time to grab some popcorn and watch the carnage unfold over on Gopher Puck Live. :lol: