Yon commits to UND

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wayfncold

Post by wayfncold »

Congrats Zach! Good luck as Mr. Hockey. I got a chance to see both Yon and Avery Peterson play, I have to give Yon the edge there, I think he has the better overall game. Wish they both were headed to the U
Ram Hockey

Post by Ram Hockey »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Anybody know where Cole Bjugson is going?
No decision as of yet.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Ram Hockey wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Anybody know where Cole Bjugson is going?
No decision as of yet.
What, if any, offers has he had ?
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

when did yon move to roseau? was it after squirts or did he play a year of peewees in crookston before the move?
UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom »

After squirts.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

wayfncold wrote:Congrats Zach! Good luck as Mr. Hockey. I got a chance to see both Yon and Avery Peterson play, I have to give Yon the edge there, I think he has the better overall game. Wish they both were headed to the U
A lot of people do!
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

bardown27 wrote:when did yon move to roseau? was it after squirts or did he play a year of peewees in crookston before the move?
To add to that, when did Bjugson ?
Deathblow

Post by Deathblow »

puckbreath wrote:
bardown27 wrote:when did yon move to roseau? was it after squirts or did he play a year of peewees in crookston before the move?
I think his dad resigned from Fargo North after the state tournament in 2009ish...

So I would guess at the beginning of Bantams?
gopherfan7

Post by gopherfan7 »

Deathblow wrote:
puckbreath wrote:
I think his dad resigned from Fargo North after the state tournament in 2009ish...

to add to THAT, has Strand always lived in roseau?
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Lets be nice. Not as many options up north and limited private schools to recruit to. On a side note the concession stand is great at Memorial arena. :lol:
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Deathblow wrote:
puckbreath wrote:

Thanks.
ted2you

UND commit

Post by ted2you »

Gopher fans make me laugh. They still can't believe every kid doesn't want to be a gopher first. Did it ever occur to you that Minnesota may not have missed on Yon and there is elite talent in this state that grows up really wanting to play at schools like North Dakota? News flash, the Gophers don't own that part of the state anymore.
Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger »

So if Yon moved to Roseau in PeeWee's and Bjugson in Bantam's will Roseau now forfeit the rest of their season in light of this news?

I was under the impression that Roseau only plays with players that have been born in Roseau and played there for their entire lives.

It's weird that all the Roseau fans want to talk about when they lose to Warroad is where the players came from when in reality Roseau's top players did the exact same thing, with the exception of Strand.

That being said UND is getting a heck of a hockey player in Yon. With the way he shoots the puck I could see him scoring a lot of goals for them.

There are still a number of very good uncommitted players in 8AA and 8A, (Strand, Bjugson, Sylvester, Herdt, a # of EGF players) will be interesting to see if anything comes to them by the end of the year or if it will be off to juniors to further prove themselves.
Gopher Blog

Re: UND commit

Post by Gopher Blog »

ted2you wrote:Gopher fans make me laugh. They still can't believe every kid doesn't want to be a gopher first. Did it ever occur to you that Minnesota may not have missed on Yon and there is elite talent in this state that grows up really wanting to play at schools like North Dakota? News flash, the Gophers don't own that part of the state anymore.
No doubt Section 8 tends to be more UND due to proximity.

The Gophers didn't offer Yon so there really wasn't a decision to be made there. I highly doubt Yon grew up dreaming of playing at UND though. It just worked out that way. I'm sure he'll do just fine in college.

People lamenting who the Gophers get need to recognize the reality that there are only 18 scholarships to give and only a finite number of roster spots (not to mention the fact that sometimes you occasionally pick the player that can play a role that fits within your scholarship budget). Given the number of good players that come from MN (and the Gophers don't ignore good players from other places any longer either), there are some tough choices that need to be made. They generally do a pretty good job with those decisions. Not always but usually.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

ted2you wrote:Gopher fans make me laugh. They still can't believe every kid doesn't want to be a gopher first. Did it ever occur to you that Minnesota may not have missed on Yon and there is elite talent in this state that grows up really wanting to play at schools like North Dakota? News flash, the Gophers don't own that part of the state anymore.
He didn't get an offer from the Gophers and UND is close to home. Nobody in MN grows up, "really" wanting to play for North Dakota.
12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders »

Froggy Richards wrote:
He didn't get an offer from the Gophers and UND is close to home. Nobody in MN grows up, "really" wanting to play for North Dakota.
You'd be surprised if you got outside the 494/694 perimeter once in a while.
ted2you

Gophers

Post by ted2you »

It is exactly that arrogence that amazes me. North Dakota travels great, their fans are passionate, they have a great tradition and facilities second to none. I know a lot of kids that dream of playing at North Dakota. Furthermore, its not unpatriotic for them to want to play elsewhere. Didn't Parise choose ND, didn't Neil Broten's nephew decide to play at ND, why does that arrogance exist?
Froggy Richards

Re: Gophers

Post by Froggy Richards »

ted2you wrote:It is exactly that arrogence that amazes me. North Dakota travels great, their fans are passionate, they have a great tradition and facilities second to none. I know a lot of kids that dream of playing at North Dakota. Furthermore, its not unpatriotic for them to want to play elsewhere. Didn't Parise choose ND, didn't Neil Broten's nephew decide to play at ND, why does that arrogance exist?
Has nothing to do with arrogance. We all know it's a great program. So do the Green Bay Packers but not too many Minnesota kids grow up wanting to play there either. The question was about Yon and you claiming that many people grow up "really" wanting to play for North Dakota. He didn't get an offer from MN so that example didn't support your argument.

Okay, I admit I made a wide generalization there. I'm sure there has to be some kids somewhere in MN that want to play for UND, probably because they live close to there, Hence the Warroad and Roseau connection. But I've been around young Hockey players for several years and never heard one mention UND. It's always the Gophers, UMD or St. Cloud. Just my experience. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
hipcheck

yon to und

Post by hipcheck »

I believe more Roseau/Warroad players have gone to UND rather than the Gophers.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

UND got a stud!
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

The biggest question mark about him, is how will he do if he's separated from Strand.

The very few times he has been, haven't been pretty.

I have a feeling it won't matter this time though.

Anyone know if he's going straight there, or juniors ?
siouxforce19

Post by siouxforce19 »

puckbreath wrote:The biggest question mark about him, is how will he do if he's separated from Strand.

Juniors.

UND is a young team this year (4 seniors) and only has one senior forward that's in the lineup consistently, so the opportunity for Zach is better in 2015 anyways.
nobama

Post by nobama »

Isn't there a bunch of 1996 dob kids that will be lacing them up next season. Yon is a 1995 so why juniors..
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

nobama wrote:Isn't there a bunch of 1996 dob kids that will be lacing them up next season. Yon is a 1995 so why juniors..
UND would be the one to answer that.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

siouxforce19 wrote:
puckbreath wrote:The biggest question mark about him, is how will he do if he's separated from Strand.

Juniors.

UND is a young team this year (4 seniors) and only has one senior forward that's in the lineup consistently, so the opportunity for Zach is better in 2015 anyways.
Thanks.