USHL's Futures Draft

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

imlisteningtothefnsong

USHL's Futures Draft

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Any opinions on this?? Good idea to attend, or just a money grab?
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

If not specifically called to attend, other than ice time little to no reason to attend.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Well I am not sure if was a specific call, but just an email. I was filling it out and got to the end thinking alright a road trip and a couple nights in a hotel, then get sent to the payment page..... Almost 400.00. Politely responded no thanks. Seems a bit pricey for the number of skaters.

Post by 2112 »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Well I am not sure if was a specific call, but just an email. I was filling it out and got to the end thinking alright a road trip and a couple nights in a hotel, then get sent to the payment page..... Almost 400.00. Politely responded no thanks. Seems a bit pricey for the number of skaters.

I think this was the combine your son got invited to not the futures draft, that was last week.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Email says futures camp. It is in June
stupidiswhatstupiddoes

Post by stupidiswhatstupiddoes »

What is the birth year of your son?

Post by 2112 »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Email says futures camp. It is in June

Where did you get draft from then? Its a camp to evaluate kids that have the potential to play in the USHL, all the teams will have reps there watching. If the acorn doesn`t fall far from the tree maybe you should look at CHL.
youwannaknowme

Post by youwannaknowme »

My son attended both the Summer USHL combine last August and this past one in May. It definately isn't cheap and is money grab for the league. My guess, there were 250 kids there during the first week in May. Out of the 90 who were drafted in the 97 Futures draft, 30 attended the Draft Combine. Another handful were drafted in the regular USHL or Phase 2. It is well run and they treat the kids well. My son did not get drafted but it provided some exposure to the level of play and it was good experience. You definately need to go in knowing this. What was interesting to me is that only 35 or so Minnesota kids attended the Combine. The level of play from kids outside of MN is very good. Real Tier 1 "AAA" hockey not the Summer stuff, plays a big part in the development of kids in the USA.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Yes, there is a whole big world outside of the state of hockey.
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Yes, there is a whole big world outside of the state of hockey.
In my opinion, the USHL combines are a money maker. There are boys that get drafted after attending them but 90% would have been drafted anyway. Skip these if your boy plays on a top A or AA team or in the elite league. They will have been seen already.

The open camps run by the individual teams are money makers also. Last year, I believe only one player from the Tri City open camp was asked to stay for the Main Camp.

All this said, it cannot hurt you to go. It is good experience to see who may be competing for spots at the next level. As previously stated, it is a big hockey world out there. Just make sure you set appropriate expectations of what you want to get out of the camp because it most likely will not be a roster spot.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

Can anyone attend the USHL 'open' camps (as name implies)? I'm naive to this.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Cdale wrote:Can anyone attend the USHL 'open' camps (as name implies)? I'm naive to this.
As long as you're willing to write a check, because in all honesty, that is what the point of them are.

Same with the NAHL pre-draft camps.

But if you can afford them, knock yourself out.