8AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Just for fun where would Warroad and EGF be seeded right now if they were playing AA?
EGF 2 or 3

Warroad 4 or 5

TTpuckster
Posts: 2408
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Post by TTpuckster » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:18 pm

In about 2 to 3 weeks EGF would be 1
What is a Green Wave anyway?

green4
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 am
Location: Edina

Post by green4 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:10 am

goldy313 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Elk River is not in 8AA.

8 AA is about Moorhead, Roseau and some one else thrown in.
This year it is Bemidji.

Sometime in the future I would think Aus would have Brainerd in the mix.

Forecasting an Elk River move to 8AA is not to likely.
More likely Thief River Falls moving up as the city is doing very well economically and as housing is added the population will grow. The hockey will get better based off an already good youth program.

River Lakes and Monticello will get stronger as their youth programs grow and will have a three year group of talent at some point and put together a run.
St. Cloud Tech should put together a team, but I have been thinking that for years.

Buffalo will end up in another section if/when TRF or Warroad move up or Alex.
If you look at the schools around +/- 100 kids from AA enrollment cutoff of 1251:
*Rogers, Chaska, Northfield, New Prague, Mahtomedi, Spring Lake Park, St. Thomas, St. Louis Park, and Waconia are all growing.

.
Rogers, Chaska, New Prague, Northfield and Waconia are all growing, but ST. Louis Park and Spring Lake Park have been pretty constant in population size since the early 90's and Mahtomedi since the early 2000's. With not much land in these cities left to develop it seems unlikely that they could grow enough to hop up to AA. St. Louis Park recently just got their own youth program back as they use to be with Minneapolis. As of late though they haven't had a ton of people trying out for hockey.
You also listed St.Thomas who is already in AA

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:37 am

TTpuckster wrote:In about 2 to 3 weeks EGF would be 1
Yes, but we are not talking single 'A'.




:D

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:43 am

I wish the 8AA final was on a Friday, or moved to Mariucci so we could have a 2AA/6AA/8AA triple header. Anyways, would be cool to have some scenario where a person could attend all 8 AA Section Finals.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Vapor
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Post by Vapor » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:14 am

elliott70 wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:Just for fun where would Warroad and EGF be seeded right now if they were playing AA?
EGF 2 or 3

Warroad 4 or 5

Elliott70, do you actually WATCH any of these teams ? I'm guessing not when posting this kind of garbage. Look at Karl's top AA teams and try figure where Warroad would fit in the top 5. WOW !

goldy313
Posts: 3238
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Post by goldy313 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:17 am

Maybe growing isn't the right term for a few of those schools, they are gaining in the MSHSL though as others F/R numbers climb thus reducing their MSHSL enrollments, i.e. Highland Park, Austin, etc. Mahtomedi's F/R lunch rate is about 6%, the state average is just over 30%. St. Louis Park may be landlocked but the city reports a 3 year population growth of 5% which is significant. The Census Bureau gives numbers on population growth and poverty levels among other things here http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/27/2700694.html

I did list STA because they will be AA in size soon, thus dropping a team to A as the MSHSL classifies AA hockey as the largest 64 programs plus those schools that opt up.

Moorhead may always be AA, but they may not be one of the 64 largest forcing them to opt up. The schools growing are in the fringe metro area and those not are generally outstate schools forcing a rebalance in the distribution of teams.

TTpuckster
Posts: 2408
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Post by TTpuckster » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:26 am

elliott70 wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:In about 2 to 3 weeks EGF would be 1
Yes, but we are not talking single 'A'.




:D
I know. That's why I said would.
In Jan. When EGF pummels Brrrrrrrrmidgi. Then numbero uno
What is a Green Wave anyway?

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:56 am

Vapor wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:Just for fun where would Warroad and EGF be seeded right now if they were playing AA?
EGF 2 or 3

Warroad 4 or 5

Elliott70, do you actually WATCH any of these teams ? I'm guessing not when posting this kind of garbage. Look at Karl's top AA teams and try figure where Warroad would fit in the top 5. WOW !
Vapor,
Where would you cede EGF in 8AA?
Below Roso, Buffalo, Brainerd?
Perhaps you were thinking of what Karl does; ranking. Two different things Vapor. To quote you, WOW!

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:02 am

TTpuckster wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:In about 2 to 3 weeks EGF would be 1
Yes, but we are not talking single 'A'.




:D
I know. That's why I said would.
In Jan. When EGF pummels Brrrrrrrrmidgi. Then numbero uno
Okay, I'll give you that, since they are,playing in EGF anything is possible.
You know with the refs, the sand on the locker room floor, the oversized net for egf to shoot at for 2 periods, the bad water in the locker room. You know all the tricks egf has stole from Warroad over the years.

:lol:

TTpuckster
Posts: 2408
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Post by TTpuckster » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:57 am

elliott70 wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:In about 2 to 3 weeks EGF would be 1
Yes, but we are not talking single 'A'.




:D
I know. That's why I said would.
In Jan. When EGF pummels Brrrrrrrrmidgi. Then numbero uno
Okay, I'll give you that, since they are,playing in EGF anything is possible.
You know with the refs, the sand on the locker room floor, the oversized net for egf to shoot at for 2 periods, the bad water in the locker room. You know all the tricks egf has stole from Warroad over the years.

:lol:
Wrong! The water's fine.....
And the nets are also switched each pariod...
So, there!!!!
What is a Green Wave anyway?

curtiscurve
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:14 am

Post by curtiscurve » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Here is my attempt to look into the future and predict where everyone will be seeded and what each teams record will be at the end of the regular season. I'll throw in a little analysis on each team as well.

1. Bemidji - 14-2-1 (6-0 in the section); Predicted finish 21-3-1 (9-0 in the section). Bemidji is having one of the best years in its programs history. I see them finishing out strong and completing an undefeated section record. Even if they drop the Roseau game, I still do not see any way they do not get the top seed. Could be the first non Moorhead/Roseau team to represent 8AA since Alexandria did so in 1996.

2. Moorhead - 9-6-2 (3-2); Predicted finish 14-9-2 (6-2).
The Spuds are kind of tough to figure out. They have had some impressive showings (Wayzata, Tonka, BSM) and some head scratchers (10-1 loss to North, and losses to Prior Lake and Alexandria). Either way, this team can skate with anyone (except for North apparently) and will be tough to beat for a 3rd time if they meet up with Bemidji in the finals.

3. Roseau - 8-7 (1-3); Predicted finish 13-12 (2-5). This has been a frustrating year for the Rams (aside from beating Warroad in their first meeting). With the Tech loss, they could even be at risk of dropping to the 4 seed, but I see them getting the benefit of the doubt when voting time comes. I only see them wining one more section game (Brainerd), but finishing their last 10 games 5-5. This should be enough to earn them the 3 seed, but I do not think they have a real shot at pulling out an upset over Moorhead in the semi-finals.

4. Buffalo - 9-7 (2-1); Predicted finish 15-10 (3-1).
The Bison have had a fairly successful year thus far. They should finish strong as their remaining schedule looks pretty smooth with 6 very winnable games and could even pick up a 7th if they can split with a very good St. Michael team. Buffalo is a good team, but I do not think they will give Bemidji a great challenge.

5. Brainerd - 5-9-1 (2-4): Predicted finish 8-16-1 (4-7). The first year for Coach Aus has been a struggle. The good news here is the future is bright with Dave at the helm. As for this year, they will continue to struggle going 3-7 down the stretch. I think there is a big gap between seeds 4 & 5 so I do not think they will pose much of a threat to Buffalo. In 2 years I think we could see Brainerd have a similar season to the one Bemidji is having now.

6. St. Cloud Tech - 4-10-1 (3-2-1); Predicted finish 7-16-1 (4-4-1). With a win over Roseau and an expected win over River Lakes to go along with the River Lakes tie, Tech will be the 6th seed and take on the team they beat earlier in the year (Roseau) in the quarter finals. Even though that game was fluky, it will still provide Tech with confidence enough to believe they can pull the upset.

7. River Lakes - 8-6-2 (1-0-1); Predicted finish 11-12-2 (2-3-1). They could switch spots with Tech if they can beat them at home on Feb. 3rd. They played an undefeated Alexandria team tough last night, so unlike previous years, the Stars will not be a push over. Hopefully this trend continues and River Lakes becomes a formidable opponent for years to come.

8. Monticello/Annandale/Maple Lake - 5-11 (1-5); Predicted finish 8-16 (1-6). Disappointing year for MAML thus far. They have one remaining section game, but win or lose, I believe they will stay in the 8 spot. They did beat a very good St. Michael team early this year, so they know they can pull off an upset, but I do not think they will have enough to stay with Bemidji in the quarters.

9. Becker/Big Lake - 4-13 (0-2); Predicted finish 8-16 (0-3); Tough spot for this program to be in. Playing their home games in Princeton really makes it tough to build a program. Have to give the kids and coaches credit for continuing to work hard and battling each game.

This should be an exciting section to watch. Will this be Bemidji's year?

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 pm

curtiscurve wrote:Here is my attempt to look into the future and predict where everyone will be seeded and what each teams record will be at the end of the regular season. I'll throw in a little analysis on each team as well.

1. Bemidji - 14-2-1 (6-0 in the section); Predicted finish 21-3-1 (9-0 in the section). Bemidji is having one of the best years in its programs history. I see them finishing out strong and completing an undefeated section record. Even if they drop the Roseau game, I still do not see any way they do not get the top seed. Could be the first non Moorhead/Roseau team to represent 8AA since Alexandria did so in 1996.

2. Moorhead - 9-6-2 (3-2); Predicted finish 14-9-2 (6-2).
The Spuds are kind of tough to figure out. They have had some impressive showings (Wayzata, Tonka, BSM) and some head scratchers (10-1 loss to North, and losses to Prior Lake and Alexandria). Either way, this team can skate with anyone (except for North apparently) and will be tough to beat for a 3rd time if they meet up with Bemidji in the finals.

3. Roseau - 8-7 (1-3); Predicted finish 13-12 (2-5). This has been a frustrating year for the Rams (aside from beating Warroad in their first meeting). With the Tech loss, they could even be at risk of dropping to the 4 seed, but I see them getting the benefit of the doubt when voting time comes. I only see them wining one more section game (Brainerd), but finishing their last 10 games 5-5. This should be enough to earn them the 3 seed, but I do not think they have a real shot at pulling out an upset over Moorhead in the semi-finals.

4. Buffalo - 9-7 (2-1); Predicted finish 15-10 (3-1).
The Bison have had a fairly successful year thus far. They should finish strong as their remaining schedule looks pretty smooth with 6 very winnable games and could even pick up a 7th if they can split with a very good St. Michael team. Buffalo is a good team, but I do not think they will give Bemidji a great challenge.

5. Brainerd - 5-9-1 (2-4): Predicted finish 8-16-1 (4-7). The first year for Coach Aus has been a struggle. The good news here is the future is bright with Dave at the helm. As for this year, they will continue to struggle going 3-7 down the stretch. I think there is a big gap between seeds 4 & 5 so I do not think they will pose much of a threat to Buffalo. In 2 years I think we could see Brainerd have a similar season to the one Bemidji is having now.

6. St. Cloud Tech - 4-10-1 (3-2-1); Predicted finish 7-16-1 (4-4-1). With a win over Roseau and an expected win over River Lakes to go along with the River Lakes tie, Tech will be the 6th seed and take on the team they beat earlier in the year (Roseau) in the quarter finals. Even though that game was fluky, it will still provide Tech with confidence enough to believe they can pull the upset.

7. River Lakes - 8-6-2 (1-0-1); Predicted finish 11-12-2 (2-3-1). They could switch spots with Tech if they can beat them at home on Feb. 3rd. They played an undefeated Alexandria team tough last night, so unlike previous years, the Stars will not be a push over. Hopefully this trend continues and River Lakes becomes a formidable opponent for years to come.

8. Monticello/Annandale/Maple Lake - 5-11 (1-5); Predicted finish 8-16 (1-6). Disappointing year for MAML thus far. They have one remaining section game, but win or lose, I believe they will stay in the 8 spot. They did beat a very good St. Michael team early this year, so they know they can pull off an upset, but I do not think they will have enough to stay with Bemidji in the quarters.

9. Becker/Big Lake - 4-13 (0-2); Predicted finish 8-16 (0-3); Tough spot for this program to be in. Playing their home games in Princeton really makes it tough to build a program. Have to give the kids and coaches credit for continuing to work hard and battling each game.

This should be an exciting section to watch. Will this be Bemidji's year?
Nice job.

Bemidji - Moorhead final should happen.
The last five years those two have battled in every game.
This final (assuming no upsets) will be no different.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2425
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:42 pm

Elliot any concerns coming out of the 4 to 1 loss against EGF? Have not followed the teams this season to see what they have. Only saw bemidji one time. Is EGF tops of 8a?

WestMetro
Posts: 2436
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Elliott

My only reference point is having seen Moorhead play in the Metro, and Bemidji has beaten them twice so they must be a force to reckon with.

I may have to change my likely Section 8 tourney participant. I had been giving Moorhead the edge because of Dittmer, but Tharaldson is racking up impressive stats and has won most of his big games.

Question: Bemidji must have quite a youth hockey goaltender program to be developing the likes of Tharaldson and Heifort all in the same class, before Gabe decided to go down to HF. Something special going on up there in youth goaltending development?

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:53 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Elliot any concerns coming out of the 4 to 1 loss against EGF? Have not followed the teams this season to see what they have. Only saw bemidji one time. Is EGF tops of 8a?
EGF is just a half step behind Hermantown.

No concern on Bemidji's part, from what I have gathered in the last half hour. Down a first liner and a second liner things were going to be tough because EGF is a high quality team (and physical). We have a couple of guys that think they are tougher than they are. We need to rely on speed.
We took a major penalty which drained us being short a couple of guys and EGF got one half way through the second. Third period we had some pressure but just did not have enough. We had a PP (major) late in the game and coach gambled (down by 2) and gave up the EN shorty to make it 4-1.
EGF played physical and (not from me as I was not there) the refs let them play.
Bottom line EGF is a good team. You beat 'em some times and you lose some times.

EGF, Htown (not taking anything away from DMarshall), Maht, and Alex will make Friday afternoon very exciting at the X come March.

(Sorry Luverne but the bloom is off the rose, but if influenza spreads to everywhere in southwest MN but Fairmont, that would put some excitement into the Wednesday games.)

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:56 pm

WestMetro wrote:Elliott

My only reference point is having seen Moorhead play in the Metro, and Bemidji has beaten them twice so they must be a force to reckon with.

I may have to change my likely Section 8 tourney participant. I had been giving Moorhead the edge because of Dittmer, but Tharaldson is racking up impressive stats and has won most of his big games.

Question: Bemidji must have quite a youth hockey goaltender program to be developing the likes of Tharaldson and Heifort all in the same class, before Gabe decided to go down to HF. Something special going on up there in youth goaltending development?
Bemidji has produced a lot of good goaltenders over the last 20 year.
One reason is that Galen Nagle (RIP) developed a coaching philosophy that I believe is still in place.
Second, kids up here love bar Mexico and not back checking so much. Goalies get a lot of practice.

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:59 pm

WestMetro wrote:Elliott

My only reference point is having seen Moorhead play in the Metro, and Bemidji has beaten them twice so they must be a force to reckon with.

I may have to change my likely Section 8 tourney participant. I had been giving Moorhead the edge because of Dittmer, but Tharaldson is racking up impressive stats and has won most of his big games.

Question: Bemidji must have quite a youth hockey goaltender program to be developing the likes of Tharaldson and Heifort all in the same class, before Gabe decided to go down to HF. Something special going on up there in youth goaltending development?
Should note that the backup Garret Attaberry is a solid goal tender also.

TTpuckster
Posts: 2408
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Post by TTpuckster » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:19 pm

elliott70 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Elliott

My only reference point is having seen Moorhead play in the Metro, and Bemidji has beaten them twice so they must be a force to reckon with.

I may have to change my likely Section 8 tourney participant. I had been giving Moorhead the edge because of Dittmer, but Tharaldson is racking up impressive stats and has won most of his big games.

Question: Bemidji must have quite a youth hockey goaltender program to be developing the likes of Tharaldson and Heifort all in the same class, before Gabe decided to go down to HF. Something special going on up there in youth goaltending development?
Should note that the backup Garret Attaberry is a solid goal tender also.
Should also note that EGF was playing the back-up goalie last night and he looked pretty darn good. Escpecially in the 3rd.
What is a Green Wave anyway?

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:31 pm

TTpuckster wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Elliott

My only reference point is having seen Moorhead play in the Metro, and Bemidji has beaten them twice so they must be a force to reckon with.

I may have to change my likely Section 8 tourney participant. I had been giving Moorhead the edge because of Dittmer, but Tharaldson is racking up impressive stats and has won most of his big games.

Question: Bemidji must have quite a youth hockey goaltender program to be developing the likes of Tharaldson and Heifort all in the same class, before Gabe decided to go down to HF. Something special going on up there in youth goaltending development?
Should note that the backup Garret Attaberry is a solid goal tender also.
Should also note that EGF was playing the back-up goalie last night and he looked pretty darn good. Escpecially in the 3rd.
I heard the same thing.

ndirishfighting
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: MN

Post by ndirishfighting » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:47 am

Wow, you sure got a diff perspective than minnesotascores.net

Team Section record Overall record

Bemidji 6-0 14-2-1
Moorhead 3-2 9-6-2
Buffalo 2-1 9-7
Roseau 1-3 8-7
River Lakes 2-0-1 9-6-2
Brainerd 2-4 5-9-1
St Cloud Tech 3-2-1 4-10-2
Monticello 1-5 5-12
Becker 0-3 4-14
There kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!

GOALIEPOPS
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:24 am

Post by GOALIEPOPS » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:11 am

WestMetro wrote:Elliott

My only reference point is having seen Moorhead play in the Metro, and Bemidji has beaten them twice so they must be a force to reckon with.

I may have to change my likely Section 8 tourney participant. I had been giving Moorhead the edge because of Dittmer, but Tharaldson is racking up impressive stats and has won most of his big games.

Question: Bemidji must have quite a youth hockey goaltender program to be developing the likes of Tharaldson and Heifort all in the same class, before Gabe decided to go down to HF. Something special going on up there in youth goaltending development?
Speaking of Goaltending in Bemidji.. They have a pretty nice goalie at #2. That kid would start for many teams I've seen play. Must be something in the water!

Post Reply