Simply sad..

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Just way too many involved with vested interests, is what it comes down to.

I'd pay an extra fifty+ to have some Wisconsin evaluators/coaches do the deciding.... Man, how different things would be!

The extra fifty would raise around eight grand.. Plenty of money to bring in 8 - 10 Wisconsin (close) coaches/hockey guys. They'd probably actually jump at doing it for much cheaper..
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

The current system is like having a cutest baby contest and having a few of the moms do the judging.. :shock:
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

MrBoDangles wrote:Just way too many involved with vested interests, is what it comes down to.

I'd pay an extra fifty+ to have some Wisconsin evaluators/coaches do the deciding.... Man, how different things would be!

The extra fifty would raise around eight grand.. Plenty of money to bring in 8 - 10 Wisconsin (close) coaches/hockey guys. They'd probably actually jump at doing it for much cheaper..
As long as they aren't handed the "list" of names beforehand.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

I was convinced myself there was some bias or a list of some sort before this year, but now I'm not so sure. There are kids that made it to national camp last year in New York that didn't get picked for 54's. When the number of kids that make the final group is cut in half from St. Cloud 100+ to 54 it's going to be tough on evaluators. That being said I'm not sure any of the rubes (myself included) on this bored can say a kid didn't deserve to make it. There are definitely kids that didn't make 54 that are as good or better than the kids who did get picked. Someone always gets left out, feelings are hurt, people get salty. As far as section 5 goes there were 2 D and 1 F that didn't make it that easily belong in that group of 54, potential D1 talent IMO. One of the Dmen in particular I thought was a Top 4 D of all the kids. It happens, it sucks but it will have no effect at all on these kids future. As far as the fundraising goes what burns my ass the most is the $20 they ask for at the door. The fu-@&"@ Onions on these people. Had a guy tell me at the door you have been around long enough you know nothing in hockey is free, it didn't leave me with a warm feeling. In all reality the cost of the tryout and festival are the price of a new stick of which junior goes through 4-5 a year and the kids get to establish relationships with kids from other communities that they would never get a chance to do otherwise, that for me is worth the politics and bs that all of us parents go through for our kids.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

Mite-dad wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Just way too many involved with vested interests, is what it comes down to.

As long as they aren't handed the "list" of names beforehand.
They would be handed a list and then there would be a few of the MN hockey guys up there during the process to make sure that the don't have any questions about anything while they are evaluating and selecting. And then just to make sure of it the list would be previewed prior to being published to make sure that everybody on it is ok. But it would be picked by the WI guys.

If you haven't figured it out by now that team was picked a few years ago. It is as big of a joke as the Elite league is when it comes to marketing and reputations that are created by parents who are marketing their kids so they can move on.
hunting247

Post by hunting247 »

I think Elliott70 said it best when this exact subject came up last year

I have questions...

Where do you people get your information?

How do you know it is a lock for some kids?

Why do you think it is a money grab?

How do you know the thought process of the evaluators?

Why do you make such a fuss about it when you or yours are not directly involved?

What makes you an expert on which players are deserving?

Put your names on here and let us evaluate your criteria to be a critic of the system...
Present your criticism to MH, the hockey ops committee, give me your ideas for changes that should be made....

In other words, try doing something positive rather than complaining about something anonymously with no knowledge on the actual facts and not offering corrections or a better system.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Why do you make such a fuss about it when you or yours are not directly involved?
The darkest places in Hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Inig....Every time I read a post from you like above I laugh and think very witty. I then look at your tag-name and try to figure out what it means and I never can. Must be old age. GB[/quote]
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

hunting247 wrote:I think Elliott70 said it best when this exact subject came up last year

I have questions...

Put your names on here and let us evaluate your criteria to be a critic of the system...
Present your criticism to MH, the hockey ops committee, give me your ideas for changes that should be made....

In other words, try doing something positive rather than complaining about something anonymously with no knowledge on the actual facts and not offering corrections or a better system.
And the lightbulb should go on that Elliot's gone mute on this one.. On purpose, or not, huge mistakes were made.

:idea:
4on5again

Post by 4on5again »

hunting247 wrote: What makes you an expert on which players are deserving?

Hey great idea!
The noble high horse you sit on makes me want to puke. All is rainbows and you've never been critical. pfff
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

hunting247 wrote:I think Elliott70 said it best when this exact subject came up last year

I have questions...

Wow...........
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

I have questions...

Congratulations - your kid made it, so, definitively, there can be nothing wrong with the process. Jump on your high horse and trot off to St. Cloud.
4on5again

Post by 4on5again »

Bluewhitefan wrote:

I have questions...

Congratulations - your kid made it, so, definitively, there can be nothing wrong with the process. Jump on your high horse and trot off to St. Cloud.
Defending the process tells us there is question to the legitimacy of the picks, otherwise there is nothing to say.
hunting247

Post by hunting247 »

Bluewhitefan wrote:

I have questions...

Sorry, no horse in this race. I'm sorry your kid didn't make the cut.
hunting247

Post by hunting247 »

4on5again wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:

I have questions...

Defending the process tells us there is question to the legitimacy of the picks, otherwise there is nothing to say.
Not defending it just asking questions. I just think its funny that just because a team wins or out shoots an opponent that you think the team is full of superstars and should advance but the fact is they aren't picking individual players for the final 54 based off a teams performance. W/L means nothing in these things.
hunting247

Post by hunting247 »

The simple fact is that just because your kid didn't make the cut doesn't mean his hockey career is over. I have seen kids not make it the spring festival one year to making the final 54 the next. And no one is forcing you to attend HP, if you don't like it don't go........ 8)
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

At minimum, we need to get the potential north metro evaluators off the lakes and out of the woods...

And I'm sure that I would probably hyper analyze a kid I didn't really know compared to the talent I knew.

How about if Elliot lists the evaluators and see if things become clear? I'm sure hunting would become silent..

22-1 is not possible with those wins and shot margins.. Period!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

The best thing a player who got cut could do, is not buy into this idea he got screwed, but learn and work harder so next year they can't cut him!
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

GoldenBear wrote:Inig....Every time I read a post from you like above I laugh and think very witty. I then look at your tag-name and try to figure out what it means and I never can. Must be old age. GB
[/quote]

You have to watch the movie "The Princess Bride"....classic!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

GoldenBear wrote:Inig....Every time I read a post from you like above I laugh and think very witty. I then look at your tag-name and try to figure out what it means and I never can. Must be old age. GB
Prepare to die.
Be kind. Rewind.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

thefatcat wrote:

You have to watch the movie "The Princess Bride"....classic![/quote]

Inconceivable !
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

hunting247 wrote:The simple fact is that just because your kid didn't make the cut doesn't mean his hockey career is over. I have seen kids not make it the spring festival one year to making the final 54 the next. And no one is forcing you to attend HP, if you don't like it don't go........ 8)
Would that mean the selection process is at fault for not selecting the better players? It is advertised as to choose the best hockey players from the great hockey state of Minnesota. A good 15/16 year old got cut and a trott made it, would be easy explanation by the adults to the players, right?

How did all the finalists last year do in the mn high school season? Would that be a measure how the selection process performed?
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:

I have questions...

Wow...........
Hunt ... what are your answers to your own questions? You sounds like you definitely know more than the rest of us. Maybe you can tell how not, why not and what not.
hunting247

Post by hunting247 »

Mnhockeys wrote:
hunting247 wrote:The simple fact is that just because your kid didn't make the cut doesn't mean his hockey career is over. I have seen kids not make it the spring festival one year to making the final 54 the next. And no one is forcing you to attend HP, if you don't like it don't go........ 8)
Would that mean the selection process is at fault for not selecting the better players? It is advertised as to choose the best hockey players from the great hockey state of Minnesota. A good 15/16 year old got cut and a trott made it, would be easy explanation by the adults to the players, right?

How did all the finalists last year do in the mn high school season? Would that be a measure how the selection process performed?
It means the level of players is constantly evolving. Two kids get cut, kid A sulks about it and does nothing to improve and his parents whine on a hockey forum about the injustice and the corrupt system and tell him/her it was the system to blame. Kid B learns from it and works harder to improve everyday and parents understand and support his/her growth. Which one has more of chance in the future, or a better question which parent are you?
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

hunting247 wrote:
Mnhockeys wrote:

It means the level of players is constantly evolving. Two kids get cut, kid A sulks about it and does nothing to improve and his parents whine on a hockey forum about the injustice and the corrupt system and tell him/her it was the system to blame. Kid B learns from it and works harder to improve everyday and parents understand and support his/her growth. Which one has more of chance in the future, or a better question which parent are you?
I'm the parent with the wrong connections. :lol: